PDA

View Full Version : Hampton out with a groin & more

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-22-2008, 12:19 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_589429.html

• Casey Hampton left Sunday's game with a groin injury, and coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles that the veteran nose tackle could miss some time because of it. Tomlin said the Steelers will know more about Hampton after evaluating him today.

• Bryant McFadden started in place of Deshea Townsend (heel contusion) for the second consecutive week at cornerback, and Travis Kirschke started for Brett Keisel (calf strain) at right defensive end. McFadden picked off his second pass of the season in the second quarter and it led to a 53-yard Jeff Reed field goal. He also recovered a fumble in the first half. Kirschke had a team-high seven tackles, along with James Farrior. He also was credited with half a sack.

• The Steelers weren't happy about the call that led to an Eagles' safety in the fourth quarter. Officials awarded the Eagles two points after they ruled that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, under a heavy rush in the end zone, threw a pass where he didn't have an eligible receiver. The Steelers argued that a safety shouldn't have been called because running back Mewelde Moore was in the area.

• A day after the Steelers signed rookie linebacker Patrick Bailey from the practice squad to their 53-man roster, the undrafted free agent dressed for his first NFL game. Also on the inactive list were wide receiver Limas Sweed, offensive tackles Trai Essex and Tony Hills, outside linebacker Bruce Davis and Dennis Dixon (third quarterback).

I am just happy ben is still upright and in one piece. He will not be able to endure the same beating he received today week in and week out the rat birds are up next and with the way the O line played today this isn't a good thing.

jjpro11
09-22-2008, 12:33 AM
i thought i saw hampton hobbling off holding his groin some point near the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th quarter. we cannot afford to lose him and keisel both.

The Duke
09-22-2008, 12:45 AM
hampton and keisel both out, that can't be good.

at least we got hoke

Galax Steeler
09-22-2008, 03:26 AM
hampton and keisel both out, that can't be good.

at least we got hoke

That definetly ain't no good what about Bens throwing hand has anyone heard and thing on it.

The_WARDen
09-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Is now a good time to point out that Tomlin did nothing to address the Dline depth after he said that was a concern during the offseason?

klick81
09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh wow.

Keeps getting better and better. And yes...i saw him hopping around grabbing his groin. Dammit.

SteelMember
09-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Is now a good time to point out that Tomlin did nothing to address the Dline depth after he said that was a concern during the offseason?

Only when the D underperforms, then there will be multiple threads I'm sure.

And yes...i saw him hopping around grabbing his groin. Dammit.

They tried to tell him not to hide food in his pants on gameday.

Rotorhead
09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
We will be fine, Hoke is good and we are ok for Dline depth. Not to mention our Def played outstanding all game, even after Hampton left in the third.

The_WARDen
09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
We will be fine, Hoke is good and we are ok for Dline depth. Not to mention our Def played outstanding all game, even after Hampton left in the third.

they weren't okay at depth per their coach and nothing has changed, so why are they ok now?

Elvis
09-22-2008, 02:40 PM
So, if Big Ben doesnt make it through this season who IS gonna win our AFC North tittle?
The Ravens?
:rofl:

I hate to say it, but it is just a matter of time til Ben goes down and doesnt get up... I cant believe that he made it through the Eagles game...

Stlrs4Life
09-22-2008, 02:44 PM
That definetly ain't no good what about Bens throwing hand has anyone heard and thing on it.

From another thread:

Updates coming on ESPN Radio 1250.

EDIT: Tomlin just said X-Rays were negative. I guess Chris Mack got something wrong.

missedgehead
09-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Who is Chris Mack? I don't live in the Burgh?

43Hitman
09-22-2008, 03:24 PM

Please explain to the rest of us, not in the know, how we are okay at D-line depth...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Please explain to the rest of us, not in the know, how we are okay at D-line depth...

Smith, Hoke, Kirschke. Probably the worst 3-4 D line in the league this week.

Good thing Eason and Roye can play......LLT might even see his guy Nick Hayden get picked up.

Rotorhead
09-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Gee I dont know, did you see the game Sunday? When did Hampton leave . . . 3rd Quarter and we had zero drop off on the def end of the ball. Hampton and Keisel wont be gone all season, and probably will be back after the bye so we will be fine.

Preacher
09-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Gee I dont know, did you see the game Sunday? When did Hampton leave . . . 3rd Quarter and we had zero drop off on the def end of the ball. Hampton and Keisel wont be gone all season, and probably will be back after the bye so we will be fine.

Thank you.

Geez.. Last week, we were the class of the AFCN... on our way to a GREAT year.

This week, we are the red-headed step-childed of the AFCN.

SteelerFanInCA
09-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Man, we are dropping like flies on the defensvie front end. Hopefully Casey is not out that long.

43Hitman
09-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Thank you.

Geez.. Last week, we were the class of the AFCN... on our way to a GREAT year.

This week, we are the red-headed step-childed of the AFCN.

I never said that....I asked for a reason why we are so good at depth all of sudden when we've been a couple injuries away from disaster on the line. I guess everyone forgets what happened last year when we lost Aaron Smith. Nothing wrong with being concerned.

steelpride12
09-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I never said that....I asked for a reason why we are so good at depth all of sudden when we've been a couple injuries away from disaster on the line. I guess everyone forgets what happened last year when we lost Aaron Smith. Nothing wrong with being concerned.

No reason to be worried. Keisel being out Kirsche stepped up and tied for the most tackles against the eagles with 7. We have hoke who is a great Nose tackle who the whole city trusts.
The defense was phenomenal last night without Keisel and Hampton went out in the third and the line still shut the eagles down. Our linebackers are a huge part of this, but the depth is to strong im not worried, but of course would rather have Keisel and Hampton back.

Preacher
09-22-2008, 06:26 PM

You notice I didn't call you out specifically either.

However, associating the entire downfall of the D last year to AS going out is too broad a swipe of the brush. There are many other factors which are included.

Furthermore Our D. was just as strong in this game.. if not stronger when Hampton was out (first half vs. second half).

Now, would I rather go in with a second stringer rather than a first? no. Who would? But we are calling for depth at the D line right? Who SHOULD we have drafted at the place we were at? the same problem happened with our O line.

Unless we want to reach for a player, or lose a series of game to pick higher up, we are not going to be able to get an O line player in the draft that can be plugged in, and there were slim pickings in FA this year.

Fact is, we are deep at LB, DB, WR, QB, and RB. It takes TIME to rebuild a team. We are doing it now... AND STILL IN THE HUNT. It will take us a couple years to turn the lines around. Be patient.

The Duke
09-22-2008, 06:27 PM
If we were playing the chargers or the vikings I'd worry. but the ravens have mcgahee and rice, so I expect the D line to stop them

they did a good job against the eagles, I expect the same even with the injuries

Steelman16
09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Stretch them groins men! :chuckle:

Hopefully it's minor. Groin injuries hurt and seem to always nag atcha. :flap:

Preacher
09-22-2008, 10:05 PM
With the way the AFCN is going....

I say we sit him out until after the break. let it heal.

Edman
09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Injury added to insult.

nicesteel4life
09-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Injury added to insult.

What does that mean? Our defense played well!