PDA

View Full Version : Trent Dilfer is a moron

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-22-2008, 07:59 PM
He basicaly just ripped into Ben saying that he didn't get rid of the ball quick enough against the Eagles. Are you f*cking kidding me? Did that idiot even watch the game? Kind of hard to get the ball out when a nose tackle comes through the A gap untouched and the DE blows by Willie Colon without a scratch.

I love ESPN hiring these former bum quarterbacks that never amounted to anything in the NFL, and they feel the need to trash other QB's (Salisbury and Dilfer). Yes, Dilfer won a super bowl, but there defense was a better offense than their actual offense.

I hate ESPN.

Steelman16
09-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Why didn't we hire Dilfer to be our OC? :dang: :dang: :dang:

:rolleyes:

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
That's Salisbury's MO - bust on real QBs that are actually valuable to their teams unlike the scrub he was. Sounds like Dilfer's following his lead.

GutterflowerSteel
09-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Trent Dilfer=C0cksmoke

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Finally something we can agree on!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I never saw the comment, but can say that I do think Dilfer is a decent analyst/coach.

He is probably correct that Ben needs to make decent reads and get rid of the ball on blitzes.

The line has to do a better job of picking up the blitzes so he can get the pass off too. Its not a one way street as many Ben fans think. They all need to do a better job.

SteelMember
09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
This thread could have been started about 30 years ago. Damn you technology.:chuckle:

steelpride12
09-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Dilfer's comments and anyone talking about the Steelers does not mean anything to me.
I have my own opinions and everyone else has there's.
He is a reporter it's his job to report and i don't think he was gonna say "Ben good game you def. held it together with 8 sacks no TD's and a pick great game!"

GutterflowerSteel
09-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Trent is a Steelers hater going back to his Ratbird days. I remember his guest analyst commentary in the week before Super Bowl XL on NFLN. He and Hasselback are good friends, and I remember him talking about how the Seasquawks were going to take the Steelers down. He was so arrogant about it, I wanted to reach through my tv screen and b1tchslap him!

PalmerSteel
09-22-2008, 09:53 PM
I never saw the comment, but can say that I do think Dilfer is a decent analyst/coach.

He is probably correct that Ben needs to make decent reads and get rid of the ball on blitzes.

The line has to do a better job of picking up the blitzes so he can get the pass off too. Its not a one way street as many Ben fans think. They all need to do a better job.

i agree. obviously mostly line problems but when you see 7 -8 guys up at the line acting like they are going to blitz and they do, dont ya think worse case scenario on some of those is to throw fast, even if no was open? throw it at a WR's feet for criminy sakes. ben is elite. ben is better than that to take that many sacks. he could have helped the diaster some. i was watching the game at a bar with about 20 other steelers fans and they thought ben should have shouldered some of the blame too on some of those sacks later in the game so it wasnt just me.

LVSteelersfan
09-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Sorry, Ben is not elite. He should have been able to read some of those blitzes and check out of them. It was not all his fault but he has to take some of the blame. Dilfer is a douche but not totally incorrect in his analysis. If you can't read a blitz in the NFL, you don't last long and Ben has a long ways to go to get that part of his game down.

nicesteel4life
09-23-2008, 12:52 AM
EXACTLY! Ben needs to learn to throw the ball quicker. He is a elite QB in the NFL, problem is he tries to do too much alot of the times, If he would of thrown the ball at the feet of a reciever some of the times then we would of been in alot better field position to try other things instead of 2nd and long after a sack and 3rd and long after another, it's common sense and sometimes even though I love the guy, I think he left some of it on the windshield 2 years ago. Sorry but got to agree some with Dilfer as a true Steelers Fan.....

ytsan2q
09-23-2008, 01:23 AM
They have to give Ben the green light to check to the quick slants when he sees linebackers creeping up to line of scrimmage. Our line is not going to be able to block everyone on on a 7 man stunt blitz. The did this continously throughout the game. I just new we were about to gash them with the quick slants in the area vacated by the linebackers but it never happened.

Galax Steeler
09-23-2008, 04:30 AM
Sure it looks easy setting back at the studio of espn and tell everyone what they are doing wrong why don't Dilfer show us how it is done.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 09:32 AM
They have to give Ben the green light to check to the quick slants when he sees linebackers creeping up to line of scrimmage. Our line is not going to be able to block everyone on on a 7 man stunt blitz. The did this continously throughout the game. I just new we were about to gash them with the quick slants in the area vacated by the linebackers but it never happened.

From the sounds of it, they do have hot routes the receivers and QB are to identify, but they just missed some.

There is a corner blitz that comes from our right side in the 2nd quarter, where the corner is free and both Ward and Miller ran straight up the right side instead of running the hot route to the space the corner vacated.

DACEB
09-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Ben must take some of the blame here, unfortunately looking back at the playcalling I'm not sure what type of mentor Arians is. We've heard it brought up by several players now that the blame goes to all the offense. That would indicate that they are not prepared for what they are seeing on the field. Therefore the blame lies with the coaches. This is not the first time we've had a debacle like this, anyone remember Balt. from '06? Obviously we have noone on the staff that is bright enough to adjust and put the offense in position to succeed.

All the blame cannot go to the O-line. Although they share the responsibility, they need to be put in situations to succeed.

I know it's only one game early in the season, but this is a disturbing trend now for years. Tomlin really needs to get with Arians, Zierlien, Fichtner, Anderson and Ben and get this sh!t ironed out.

steelpride12
09-23-2008, 11:20 AM
This morning on sportscenter Dilfer was analyzing the Ravens and the Steelers in the Divison and he said the Ravens have no offense which will determine that the Steelers should win the divison, so maybe he is two sided here.

cubanstogie
09-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Ignorant comment. If Ben were trying to not get sacked, he could have thrown the ball away every time and we would have gone 3 and out all day. The guy was trying to make plays, in doing so had to hold ball waiting for play to develop. Bottom line, our line got schooled like last year. What did we expect, as soon as Mahan was gone we would turn into the "hogs" from the late 80's. This game shows us we still have a way to go with our o-line. There is plenty of blame to go around, line, Ben, Arians. As long as things get better and the coaching staff can adapt and overcome we will be fine. Better now than late in season. Arians has called some great games for us, no sense throwing him under the bus now either. Lets see what happens agains the Ravens D next week. you can be sure they will try the same schemes.

DACEB
09-23-2008, 11:43 AM
This is not the first time we've had a debacle like this, anyone remember Balt. from '06?

When you think about it, the only constant from these two massacres is Ben and the WRs. Can't blame coaching, different staff and the O-line has changed as well.

Adjustments can be made, but if the people responsible on the field don't recognize when and what adjustments need to be made...well?

Blitzburgh_Fever
09-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Sure is popular to hate Ben Roethlisberger right now.

Dino 6 Rings
09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I think a little credit needs to go to the Eagles for the blitz packages they ran. Some of the people on this forum need to go back to the tape and look at the actual blitzes Ben was sacked on.

Hey had the nose tackle leaving his 3 point stance, dropping back into coverage in the linebacker spot. the Linebacker shooting into the tackle, taking him out and swinging a d-back around the edge. They had Safety blitzes on 1st down, Linebacker blitzes with D-line men covering in the flats, corner blitzes with safeties in one on one coverage on Hines. That was a Great defensively called game by Jim Johnson.

Now, yes, our O-linemissed blocks, yes our TE and RBs missed picking up blocks and Yes, Ben held on to the ball too long and yes our O-coordinator did in fact lack greatly in his adjustment to the Eagles defense...but come on people...give a little credit to the Eagles, they did things they hadn't done in the 2 previous games, and there was ZERO film on them.

Watch how they do this week against Chicago now that the Bears have the film of what they did against the Steelers.

Beauchamp
09-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Trent Dilfer put the blame on the right person.

Big Ben is the 2nd highest paid quarterback and couldn't read "Engage eight".

Me: "Y, Hotroute-Heathmiller, Analog Down." "Y-Santonio Holmes, Short Slant"

Let's give him some more money.

Dino 6 Rings
09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
So when the Center stands up and sees his guy drop into coverage and then looks left and helps to triple team the Right DE while the Left OLB comes screaming into the open spot at Center and Hits Ben within 3 seconds...that's Ben's fault?

Beauchamp
09-23-2008, 01:32 PM
So when the Center stands up and sees his guy drop into coverage and then looks left and helps to triple team the Right DE while the Left OLB comes screaming into the open spot at Center and Hits Ben within 3 seconds...that's Ben's fault?

Did you watch the monday night game: Eagles vs. Cowboys? Eagles blitzses came through their line like butter.

What's the difference? The ball was out of Romo's hands. The quick trigger ate up the Eagles defense for 41 points. We scored 6.

Blame the line all you want. That's why Faneca left because Big Ben is willing to get sacked to keep a decent rating.

Oh and by the way: Big Ben's right hand x rays came back negative. Big Ben quit the game. Rofl.

We're paying him millions to quit. Big Ben is very humble that's for sure.

Dino 6 Rings
09-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Did you watch the monday night game: Eagles vs. Cowboys? Eagles blitzses came through their line like butter.

What's the difference? The ball was out of Romo's hands. The quick trigger ate up the Eagles defense for 41 points. We scored 6.

Blame the line all you want. That's why Faneca left because Big Ben is willing to get sacked to keep a decent rating.

Oh and by the way: Big Ben's right hand x rays came back negative. Big Ben quit the game. Rofl.

We're paying him millions to quit. Big Ben is very humble that's for sure.

You Sir are pointing out flaws in the QB of the Team I love for the sake of pointing out flaws and bashing him for your own amuzement.

Faneca left for Money, no other reason. He went to the Freaking Jets. Winning wasn't his top priority now was it?

Ben didn't quit, had had his head knocked in and was probably told, "you aren't going back in" by the coach.

You talk about rating as if that's all he cares about, I'd bet he'd rather win a SuperBowl then go to the Pro-bowl. You can bash him all you want for your own amusment, but without facts, I see through your vailed attempts to knock the Steelers staring QB.

And yes, I saw the Eagles Cowboys game, and the Eagles did NOT use the same type of blitzes they used against the Steelers and the joke all week by any talking head covering football was that Romo had Forever in the pocket in that game. Not quick strikes, but had weeks to stand back and throw the ball down field. You are incorrect in your assessment of that game.

DACEB
09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Sure is popular to hate Ben Roethlisberger right now.

If your refering to any of my posts, I don't hate on Ben. I think Ben is a great QB and will only get better. I praised the fact in pre-season when he made the hot read against the Eagles, knowing this was an area that needed work. Obviously it needs more work from the coaching staff down to Ben and the WRs. The whole offense got schooled, now it's time to go to school and get better.

tony hipchest
09-23-2008, 03:29 PM
If your refering to any of my posts, I don't hate on Ben. I think Ben is a great QB and will only get better. I praised the fact in pre-season when he made the hot read against the Eagles, knowing this was an area that needed work. Obviously it needs more work from the coaching staff down to Ben and the WRs. The whole offense got schooled, now it's time to go to school and get better.yep. practice makes perfect, and there are definitely areas the steelers need to focus on in practice. pass blocking, blitz pick ups, running hot routes etc.

i dont think any of these have been a main focus lately.

PalmerSteel
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
both sides of the argument are right on this one. ben didnt play up to his top 3 QB pay at times. the o-line didnt play up to minimum wage pay most of the time. mostly blame line but ben is better than what he showed sunday. if you want to be mentioned in the same breath as the 2 elite QB's in the league (you know who they are), then BEN has to adjust better for poor o-line play. he's great and wouldnt want anyone else and is my favorite player, but he needs to understand blitzes and quick reads a little better.

lilyoder6
09-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Trent Dilfer put the blame on the right person.

Big Ben is the 2nd highest paid quarterback and couldn't read "Engage eight".

Me: "Y, Hotroute-Heathmiller, Analog Down." "Y-Santonio Holmes, Short Slant"

Let's give him some more money.

if u didn't notice this is REAL life.. not a damn video game.. i would like to see u go under center and read what the def is gonna do.. i'll bet u'll shit urself on the spot

cubanstogie
09-23-2008, 04:35 PM
both sides of the argument are right on this one. ben didnt play up to his top 3 QB pay at times. the o-line didnt play up to minimum wage pay most of the time. mostly blame line but ben is better than what he showed sunday. if you want to be mentioned in the same breath as the 2 elite QB's in the league (you know who they are), then BEN has to adjust better for poor o-line play. he's great and wouldnt want anyone else and is my favorite player, but he needs to understand blitzes and quick reads a little better.

I don' t totally disagree, but Ben played all last year with poor o-line play and managed just fine. Sunday was different than last year. IMO Ben rarely had a chance to even get rid of the ball. It was one game, the sky is not falling. I think it is a learning experience.

PalmerSteel
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I don' t totally disagree, but Ben played all last year with poor o-line play and managed just fine. Sunday was different than last year. IMO Ben rarely had a chance to even get rid of the ball. It was one game, the sky is not falling. I think it is a learning experience.

let me know if i am mistaken, but wasnt ben sacked a time or two last year ;)

bozz723
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I agree with his analysis on about 6 of 9 of the sacks.

Ben tries to make the huge play and get around 7 guys rushing him. We needed slant routes, and we needed two step drops. Ben did not get rid of the ball fast enough, however the coaching staff did not make any adjustments. Ben tries not to be a pocket passer, and it cost him 6 sacks.

Dilfer also said the Steelers are the best team in the AFC North still so how is that hating on the Steelers?

cubanstogie
09-23-2008, 05:59 PM
let me know if i am mistaken, but wasnt ben sacked a time or two last year ;)

obviously, that was my point. Ben adjusted fine to poor o-line play last year. Sunday wasn't just poor o-line play. I don't hold them accountable for an 8 man rush. The difference to me was the coverage was excellent. No one to throw to. I don't think the 2 QB's you are referring to would have faired any better. No doubt Ben was rattled, I just don't think you can say Ben making big money he should have found a way to get it done. With that logic he should have a rating over 100 every game and we score 30 points every game. Its not like we ran the ball either.

Are you one of the Steeler fans who think Ben was mostly responsible for his sacks last year by holding the ball. I know some think so, I am just not one of them. Obviously there are some he needs to take accountability for. Even in week one, I saw lineman missing assigments similar to sunday, but we got away with it. IMO our line is still the weakest link.

PalmerSteel
09-24-2008, 12:32 AM
obviously, that was my point. Ben adjusted fine to poor o-line play last year. Sunday wasn't just poor o-line play. I don't hold them accountable for an 8 man rush. The difference to me was the coverage was excellent. No one to throw to. I don't think the 2 QB's you are referring to would have faired any better. No doubt Ben was rattled, I just don't think you can say Ben making big money he should have found a way to get it done. With that logic he should have a rating over 100 every game and we score 30 points every game. Its not like we ran the ball either.

Are you one of the Steeler fans who think Ben was mostly responsible for his sacks last year by holding the ball. I know some think so, I am just not one of them. Obviously there are some he needs to take accountability for. Even in week one, I saw lineman missing assigments similar to sunday, but we got away with it. IMO our line is still the weakest link.

yes i do think he was responsible for a few of them but i know thats what makes ben great, its just sharpening up the decision making a little. by the way , the big 2 wouldnt have fared much better, i know. mostly line fault, i just gotta believe this is bens, not weak, but weakest spot about him.

DACEB
09-24-2008, 08:58 AM
yep. practice makes perfect, and there are definitely areas the steelers need to focus on in practice. pass blocking, blitz pick ups, running hot routes etc.

i dont think any of these have been a main focus lately.

Right on Tony, we all looked at the schedule when it was announced and agreed that it would hone this team into a champion.

The strongest steel is forged in the hottest fire. We've got some injuries to deal with as well this week.