PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin says field goal no option

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Tomlin says field goal no option
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Coach Mike Tomlin did not consider attempting a field goal with less than a minute to play in the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Eagles, even though they were within Jeff Reed's range and needed two scores to erase a nine-point deficit. "We did not move the ball consistently enough to say that had we kicked a field goal and got an onside kick, we could get down there again," Tomlin said. "Under the circumstances of what had happened to that point, no way I'm kicking a field goal right there." Quarterback Byron Leftwich, playing for the injured Ben Roethlisberger, drove the Steelers to the Eagles' 13 but was sacked on third-and-1. His pass on fourth down from the Eagles' 22 fell incomplete.

The Steelers sifted through the wreckage of their first loss of the season Monday at the team's South Side practice facility. Tomlin said the coaches and players would make corrections after watching film of the Eagles game. When asked if he might make personnel changes following the loss, Tomlin said, "I'm not going to have a knee-jerk reaction. We have a good football team."

Wide receiver Nate Washington, who led the Steelers with five catches for 51 yards in Philadelphia, had not caught a pass prior to Sunday.

Rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall has not had a carry in each of the Steelers' past two games.

Digits

1 -- Road wins the Steelers have outside the AFC North under Tomlin.

7 -- Road games the Steelers have played outside the AFC North in Tomlin's two seasons.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_589583.html

the_king_from_leon
09-23-2008, 06:11 AM
I was happy to see Nate receiving again, I thought that there was nothing that we could do and agree with the situation we had to go for the TD, a field goal wouldnt have helped anything but the score margin

nicesteel4life
09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Yes we needed the touchdown before the field goal, plain and simple. With the way our offense(whole offense) was getting pushed around 3 points would of done nothing but look like we were trying to cover the spread.

SteelersMongol
09-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Agreed. Our coach Tomlin is no idiot.

BurghZ0n3
09-23-2008, 09:29 AM
...Worst scenario, with our Offensive problems at hand, I would take more FGs to put a W than an embarassing L again!!!

steelpride12
09-23-2008, 10:13 AM
You have to take the field goal in that situation. Being only one score down you kick the onside and drive down the field. Its to risky passing on 4th down with a blitz killing us all game.

slippy
09-23-2008, 11:17 AM
watching that game, i feel a field goal probably would have been blocked.

PalmerSteel
09-23-2008, 11:32 AM
watching that game, i feel a field goal probably would have been blocked.

actually the holder probably would have gotten sacked.

steelreserve
09-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I really don't think that was a good place to kick a field goal. The clock was running after a sack, we had no timeouts, and nobody knew what the hell was going on. By the time we got everyone out on the field and kicked the ball, there would have been like 8 seconds left.