PDA

View Full Version : Can OL be fixed/adjusted in a weeks time?

Hines4ever
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
With the apparent Oline problems, it is realistic to think that it can be adjusted in time for MNF????:tt:

Edman
09-23-2008, 09:07 AM
It'll be adjusted, but not fixed.

PalmerSteel
09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
what he said ^^^^
can be adjusted and improved upon for sure but will not be "fixed" this year. anyone who thought it would be "fixed" this year had been drinking too much. but it will get better for sure.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Should have been adjusted at halftime of the Eagles game and the Steelers would be 3-0.

What exactly is fixed?? Some dream world where O linemen drafted in the 5th,6th and 7th round somehow all perform like Hall of Famers??

All the fans that have never played or understand the technique it takes to play O-line, or D-line for that matter can keep dreaming of "fixed".

steelpride12
09-23-2008, 10:12 AM
You can't truly fix he OL without roster moves so i would guess they will watch film and hopefully adjust some blocking schemes.

The_WARDen
09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
it hasn't been "fixed" in years, so 1 week isn't gonna make a difference. The same losers will be starting...

Beauchamp
09-23-2008, 11:59 AM
The line is the least of my worries.

We could've tore apart the middle of the secondary with a simple short slant to Heath Miller or a curl by any receiver.

The line gave up as many sacks as the Eagles line did to Mcnabb. Big Ben gave the Eagles 4 more sacks by running into the defensive linemen.

Cowboys- 41
Steelers -6

How many times did you see Romo have pressure in his face but the ball was out of his hands? They threw 4 yard routes that went for 12 everytime Eagles blitzed the house.

Play calling needs to get better and Big Ben needs to make better reads and act like the 2nd highest paid quarterback in the league.

If you blitz 7 against 5 linemen, they will get through I promise you that.

How many people think that Big Ben wants a pro bowl over a superbowl? It worked to perfection last year. Big Ben makes a pro bowl and gets a nice pay this year even though we were sacked about 50 times. He's worried about his quarterback rating, not winning. Having said that: The line takes all the heat everytime Big Ben thinks he can't fit a ball in because he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. Faneca left because of it I assure you.

Again: The line is the least of my worries.

cubanstogie
09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
The line is the least of my worries.

We could've tore apart the middle of the secondary with a simple short slant to Heath Miller or a curl by any receiver.

The line gave up as many sacks as the Eagles line did to Mcnabb. Big Ben gave the Eagles 4 more sacks by running into the defensive linemen.

Cowboys- 41
Steelers -6

How many times did you see Romo have pressure in his face but the ball was out of his hands? They threw 4 yard routes that went for 12 everytime Eagles blitzed the house.

Play calling needs to get better and Big Ben needs to make better reads and act like the 2nd highest paid quarterback in the league.

How many people think that Big Ben wants a pro bowl over a superbowl? It worked to perfection last year. Big Ben makes a pro bowl and gets a nice pay this year even though we were sacked about 50 times. He's worried about his quarterback rating, not winning. Having said that: The line takes all the heat everytime Big Ben thinks he can't fit a ball in because he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. Faneca left because of it I assure you.

Again: The line is the least of my worries.

Pretty hard to get into rhythm with the pressure he was under. I don't agree with pro bowl over SB. There is no doubt Ben holds the ball too long on occasion. I think its due to trying to make a big play as opposed to thinking he can't fit a ball in and ruin his QB rating. I have never heard or seen Ben call out o-line, or ridicule a receiver for missing assignment. I think he is ultimate team player and could care less about rating as opposed to winning. Maybe I just think too highly of Ben, Phil Sims stated Ben missed a couple of throws in the game and I thought they should have been caught. Probably not game changing but 2 to 3 passes could have been caught.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 12:19 PM
The big thing is that the Offense was playing well until the latter stages of the 2nd quarter when the blitzes and rash of sacks started.

Ben then understandably got happy feet and played scared, the O line was confused and the coaches did nothing to correct that.

We were all watching in the 4th quarter thinking the Steelers had a chance to still win the game until the final fumble/sack, so I am not really concerned on the whole. It can be corrected.

My only real concern is how will Colon handle speed rush this monday. Neither he nor Starks is good against speed rushers, so have to pick our poison or get TE help over there.

Dino 6 Rings
I smell some RATS on this board today, blaming Big Ben for all the problems our offense had on Sunday.

I find it hilarious that when our defense gets sacks, fumbles, and Ints against another team we talk about how great they played and how great Dick L game planned and called the defense all game, yet when someone does it to us, its all Ben's fault.

Rats on the board. Get me a hammer.

Steeldude
it won't be fixed. it may also get worse next season when the steelers have to teach new linemen the absurd zone-blocking scheme.

smith, essex, colon and kemo might all be gone in 2009.

The line is the least of my worries

the O-line is the weakest part of the steelers at the moment. it should be your biggest worry.

Steeldude
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
I smell some RATS on this board today.

Rats on the board. Get me a hammer.

i think you may be right. the guy doesn't know the steelers D-linemen are, but yet he acts like he knows the solutions to the problems...lol. he thinks kirschke is the backup NT.

jjpro11
09-23-2008, 12:30 PM
the play calling is what needs fixed.. if teams could all out blitz and have success every time like sunday, every team would do it on every single play.. but they cant because there are play calls to negate the blitz. all out blitzes are supposed to work once in a while as an element of surprise. when you see its coming every other play, you have to start calling the game different until they back off. ben does deserve some criticism.. you cant use 5 and 7 step drops when you see a pass rush of 7+ guys coming.

hopefully this was just a bad surprise for the steelers from a game planning point of view. the eagles didnt blitz much the first 2 games, and all of a sudden sent the house on every other play. i still think they could have changed their play calling, but i will give them another chance. they better come up with a remedy for teams that try to copy the eagles defensive game plan.

Dizzle43
09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't know about you guys but the line is my biggest worry. Of course Ben is going to take off running when as soon as he makes his drop there are 3 Eagles players about to drop him. It was his only option. I don't care if it was Romo, Elway, Montana, Brady, etc etc etc when you can't even make your drop without pressure you're not going to throw the ball period. Your views on Ben and the o-line are dilusional. In the words of Herman Edwards, "Hello, you play to win the game."

steelreserve
09-23-2008, 12:44 PM
What needs to be fixed is the quarterback and the coaches need to pay more attention.

If the defense is putting pressure on all the time, either Ben needs to see that and call an audible, or the coaching staff needs to start calling the right kinds of plays to counter it. Relying on Ben to scramble out of trouble every time and throw a 40-yard bomb is not a high-percentage play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Your views on Ben and the o-line are dilusional. In the words of Herman Edwards, "Hello, you play to win the game."

Actually, only some of his views are dillusional. If you have the game recorded, re-watch it and pay attention to the O line and Ben.

They played good most of the first half, but when the heavy blitzing came and a couple sacks......Ben stopped looking downfield like he does and prematurely started scrambling.

Its not as bad as most of you think. Break down the game play by play and you see its not all Bens fault, its not all the O line fault or the WR's fault. All of them took their turn at sucking and the coaches dont look like they did anything to correct it.

Where is that "the sky is falling picture"???? Its really time to see it some more.

I predict that on tuesday we will all be on here feeling good about a win at home and the sky will stay up for one more week.

steelreserve
09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I predict that on tuesday we will all be on here feeling good about a win at home and the sky will stay up for one more week.

That's what's really going to happen. The truth of the matter is, we've demonstrated that we beat the hell out of shitty teams, and the Ravens look like a shitty team.

lilyoder6
09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
yeah and that tuesday if we win evryone thats bashing the steelers/ the coaches and whoever else will be praising them

revefsreleets
09-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Look at the bright side: We have the best defense in the NFL. We will beat the living Hell out of Flacco next week. The offense has week to just GET BETTER along the front. Baltimore's D is overrated, and not as good or young or fast as the Eagles.

Preacher
09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Just wondering...

how many threads do we need on the same topic? :hunch:

Sure, the title changes, but withing 3 posts, it devolves to the same thing.

thebus36idf
09-23-2008, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=Beauchamp;440786]The line is the least of my worries.

I saw a three man defensive line get through with starks among others just standing there blocking NO-ONE

lilyoder6
09-23-2008, 09:05 PM
i was just suprised that they couldn't find an answer during half-time

NV STEELERS 723
09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
i think you may be right. the guy doesn't know the steelers D-linemen are, but yet he acts like he knows the solutions to the problems...lol. he thinks kirschke is the backup NT.

Travis IS the back up to Hoke at NT.

NV STEELERS 723
09-23-2008, 10:04 PM
If we have a repeat performance for Ben, I can't see Tomlin sticking w/ these guys...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Travis IS the back up to Hoke at NT.

Not according to the official Steelers depth chart. Kirschke is listed as a DE, but I can see them bringing up Paxson off the PS if needed as a backup.

If Hoke goes down, then who knows.