PDA

View Full Version : Good news: Ben is healthy

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Good news: Ben is healthy
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Steelers did get some good news on the injury front following their 15-6 loss to the Eagles. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is relatively healthy even though he was sacked eight times and left last Sunday's game in the fourth quarter after getting his hand stepped on. "He's got some bumps and bruises, but we don't think it will limit him in practice (today)," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. Along with running back Willie Parker (knee), nose tackle Casey Hampton (groin) and defensive end Brett Keisel (calf), outside linebacker Donovan Woods (hamstring) has been ruled out for the Steelers' game against the Ravens on Monday night at Heinz Field.

The Steelers will know more about starting cornerback Deshea Townsend's status for the game after today. Townsend, who has missed the last two games with a heel contusion, will try to do some running today, Tomlin said.

The Steelers signed Gary Russell to their practice squad, and there is a chance they could re-sign the second-year running back to their 53-man roster. The Steelers cut Russell last Saturday to make room on the roster for linebacker Patrick Bailey. Russell played in three games last season, and Tomlin said the Steelers may consider putting him on the regular roster since Parker is sidelined with a sprained knee.

After watching film of the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Eagles, Tomlin said he has decided to take a back-to-basics approach to offense. The Steelers gave up nine sacks and managed just 180 yards in their first loss of the season. They were never able to successfully counter an Eagles defense that blitzed relentlessly. "You need to improve the quality of your work, and the way you do that when you're not on the screws is, initially, a reduction in what you do to make sure everybody's sharp and on the same page," Tomlin said. "There is going to be a little bit of that." Tomlin said simplifying the offense is only a short-term solution. But for now, he said, "You reduce, you sharpen, you get everybody on the same page."

Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau can be hard on rookie quarterbacks, as Joe Flacco may find out Monday night. Tomlin, however, would not be baited into saying that LeBeau's attacking, complex scheme will give Flacco fits. "I'm not going to make any Joey Porter comments in regard to that," Tomlin said. Porter, the former Steelers linebacker, successfully predicted the Dolphins' defense would have its way with Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel. Porter backed up his words by sacking Cassel three times in the Dolphins' 38-13 win over the Patriots on Sunday. Cassel was making his second career NFL start; Flacco will make his third NFL start against the Steelers.

Digits

89.1 -- Rushing yards per game that the Ravens have allowed since 2000.

89.5 -- Rushing yards per game that the Steelers have allowed since 2000.

161.5 -- Yards per game the Ravens have allowed, the fewest in the NFL.

234 -- Yards per game the Steelers have allowed, second-fewest in the NFL.

Crow-Magnon
09-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Good news: Ben is healthy
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Steelers did get some good news on the injury front following their 15-6 loss to the Eagles. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is relatively healthy even though he was sacked eight times and left last Sunday's game in the fourth quarter after getting his hand stepped on. "He's got some bumps and bruises, but we don't think it will limit him in practice (today)," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. Along with running back Willie Parker (knee), nose tackle Casey Hampton (groin) and defensive end Brett Keisel (calf), outside linebacker Donovan Woods (hamstring) has been ruled out for the Steelers' game against the Ravens on Monday night at Heinz Field.

The Steelers will know more about starting cornerback Deshea Townsend's status for the game after today. Townsend, who has missed the last two games with a heel contusion, will try to do some running today, Tomlin said.

The Steelers signed Gary Russell to their practice squad, and there is a chance they could re-sign the second-year running back to their 53-man roster. The Steelers cut Russell last Saturday to make room on the roster for linebacker Patrick Bailey. Russell played in three games last season, and Tomlin said the Steelers may consider putting him on the regular roster since Parker is sidelined with a sprained knee.

After watching film of the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Eagles, Tomlin said he has decided to take a back-to-basics approach to offense. The Steelers gave up nine sacks and managed just 180 yards in their first loss of the season. They were never able to successfully counter an Eagles defense that blitzed relentlessly. "You need to improve the quality of your work, and the way you do that when you're not on the screws is, initially, a reduction in what you do to make sure everybody's sharp and on the same page," Tomlin said. "There is going to be a little bit of that." Tomlin said simplifying the offense is only a short-term solution. But for now, he said, "You reduce, you sharpen, you get everybody on the same page."

Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau can be hard on rookie quarterbacks, as Joe Flacco may find out Monday night. Tomlin, however, would not be baited into saying that LeBeau's attacking, complex scheme will give Flacco fits. "I'm not going to make any Joey Porter comments in regard to that," Tomlin said. Porter, the former Steelers linebacker, successfully predicted the Dolphins' defense would have its way with Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel. Porter backed up his words by sacking Cassel three times in the Dolphins' 38-13 win over the Patriots on Sunday. Cassel was making his second career NFL start; Flacco will make his third NFL start against the Steelers.

Digits

89.1 -- Rushing yards per game that the Ravens have allowed since 2000.

89.5 -- Rushing yards per game that the Steelers have allowed since 2000.

161.5 -- Yards per game the Ravens have allowed, the fewest in the NFL.

234 -- Yards per game the Steelers have allowed, second-fewest in the NFL.

Both teams should love those stats.

Edman
09-24-2008, 07:27 AM
It pays when you have a QB made of scrap iron.

stlrtruck
09-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Both teams should love those stats.

Stats are irrelevant at the end of the day if you don't end up on the right (left) side of the W and L columns. The ratbirds can out gain us all they want in every aspect of the game - as long as it's not the scoreboard!!!

That's what matters most! Keep your stats, I want the W

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Good news on Ben. That is all we need is another suprise, Parker in the garage and then Ben. That would suck.

lilyoder6
09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
it is good to hear that ben is just fine...

revefsreleets
09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Here is how you beat the Ratbirds: You gain 3-4 yards a play and put yourself in manageable 3rd downs. All that means is that the O MUST run the football, and the OL must execute.

We'll win this game convincingly if Ben only has to throw < 20 times. The Raiders D IS overrated, old and slowing, and we are just the team at the right time to expose that. They've only played two shitty and disjointed teams so far...it's time to punish them and take out last weeks frustrations on them.

HometownGal
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Great news on Ben! :thumbsup:

Gotta love Tomlin's comment on Papa Lebeau's D giving Flacco a rough time:

Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau can be hard on rookie quarterbacks, as Joe Flacco may find out Monday night. Tomlin, however, would not be baited into saying that LeBeau's attacking, complex scheme will give Flacco fits. "I'm not going to make any Joey Porter comments in regard to that," Tomlin said.

:chuckle:

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers D smash Flacco into the turf and under the ground so he can make acquaintance with Jimmy Hoffa. :tt03:

Crow-Magnon
09-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Here is how you beat the Ratbirds: You gain 3-4 yards a play and put yourself in manageable 3rd downs. All that means is that the O MUST run the football, and the OL must execute.

We'll win this game convincingly if Ben only has to throw < 20 times. The Raiders D IS overrated, old and slowing, and we are just the team at the right time to expose that. They've only played two shitty and disjointed teams so far...it's time to punish them and take out last weeks frustrations on them.

So did the Steelers, except they also played one decent team and they lost to them. C'mon! You can be a homer and still be honest. This is going to be a tough game for both teams. You hope Pittsburgh wins, and you should- you're a Steelers fan. But stating it's going to be an easy win makes you look foolish. You are going to run the ball against a defense that doesn't allow the run. With an O line that looks like its standing still.

markh
09-24-2008, 12:28 PM

Good luck with that.

lilyoder6
09-24-2008, 12:44 PM
u think that the eagles are a decent team?? to me they are looking real good and could make a run in the playoffs..

honestly do u think that flacco and that dormant off can rly do anything against a good def???

fansince'76
09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Good luck with that.

Hate to break it to you, but it's not 2000 anymore.

revefsreleets
09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, there's a homer posting here, no doubt about that...but it ain't me.

Our defense held one of the most prolific offenses in check for a whole game. We didn't do too bad against the Browns either, and we played them on the road, not at home. The Bengals are a joke.

Monday night will be a rude awakening, especially if the Ravens really believe their own bullshit that they are still an elite defensive unit. Over/under on tackles made by Ray Lewis (since he's not playing at home and getting stat padded)? 4.

Galax Steeler
09-25-2008, 03:46 AM
It will be funny watching Flaco run like a duck waddling for his life it is funny watching him trying to run.

drucifer
09-25-2008, 08:55 AM
So did the Steelers, except they also played one decent team and they lost to them. C'mon! You can be a homer and still be honest. This is going to be a tough game for both teams. You hope Pittsburgh wins, and you should- you're a Steelers fan. But stating it's going to be an easy win makes you look foolish. You are going to run the ball against a defense that doesn't allow the run. With an O line that looks like its standing still.

Hey now, I may have to take issue with that last statement. Our boys were most certainly not standing still in the Eagles game! Stepping aside, maybe curling up into the fetal position, some doing their impression of a revolving door, but definitely not standing still.

Seriously though, hopefully they learn something from the experience.

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Hey now, I may have to take issue with that last statement. Our boys were most certainly not standing still in the Eagles game! Stepping aside, maybe curling up into the fetal position, some doing their impression of a revolving door, but definitely not standing still.

Seriously though, hopefully they learn something from the experience.

OK, I'll concede that point! :chuckle:

Edman
09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Good luck with that.

Here's news for you. The Pittsburgh Steelers scored a combined 59 points on your "dominant defense". This is without Ben Roethlisberger playing in one of those games mind you.

Take it how you want. But I think the Steelers solved your defense pretty handily. Even with this mediocre O-Line we have. The "dominant" Ravens Defense managed just three sacks against Pittsburgh in 2007. The Philly game was a wake up call for this coaching staff, and I have the faith they will turn it around this week. Unlike Romeo and Marvin, the two genius coaches of two crappy 0-fer teams the Ravens beat this year, Tomlin is not an idiot.

2006 was the last shot for the Ravens to do anything, and they blew it. You'll find out soon enough. Keep beating that chest while you still have the chance.

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Here's news for you. The Pittsburgh Steelers scored a combined 59 points on your "dominant defense". This is without Ben Roethlisberger playing in one of those games mind you.

Take it how you want. But I think the Steelers solved your defense pretty handily. Even with this mediocre O-Line we have. The "dominant" Ravens Defense managed just three sacks against Pittsburgh in 2007. The Philly game was a wake up call for this coaching staff, and I have the faith they will turn it around this week. Unlike Romeo and Marvin, the two genius coaches of two crappy 0-fer teams the Ravens beat this year, Tomlin is not an idiot.

2006 was the last shot for the Ravens to do anything, and they blew it. You'll find out soon enough. Keep beating that chest while you still have the chance.

I've said this before (getting tired of repeating myself), but I'll say it again: this ain't 2007!

Don't you get a little tired of rehashing last season like it provides some real insight into this year? If that mindset held true, the Ravens would have killed Pittsburgh twice as bad in 2007 as they did in 2006, since Baltimore OWNED the Steelers in 2006. But that didn't happen, did it? No, it didn't. Many reasons were involved with the Ravens lack of success, with injuries being the prime factor

So why do you keep grasping at that 2007 straw, like just because the Steelers pummeled the Ravens in 2007 it makes it automatic that it's going to happen again? Are you guys that blinded by team loyalty? The 2008 Ravens are not the 2007 Ravens, and the 2008 Steelers are not the 2007 Steelers. Your defense is hurting and your O line sucks. You can argue a lot of things, but those last two points cannot be denied.

steelreserve
09-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Of course Big Ben is healthy. He actually sat out against the Eagles, and his stunt double was the one taking the snaps.

See? Besides explaining why he's not injured, it explains his piss-poor performance too.

BurghZ0n3
09-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Hate to break it to you, but it's not 2000 anymore.

...say, how 'bout let our WRs and RBs dance like your "Boxing Piggy" after every TD...??? :hatsoff: :tt02::tt::tt02: Let's get ready for Monday Night....!!! :banging::banging::banging:

markh
09-25-2008, 01:37 PM

And just who did your Squealers beat?:rofl:

revefsreleets
09-25-2008, 05:53 PM
And just who did your Squealers beat?:rofl:

But OUR defense held Philly to 13 at home...you haven't played any offense with 1/3rd their potency yet.

The Ravens are not a quality football team...this win for us this week is a needed win, but, only because it's a game we should win. We have bigger fish to fry them has-been and already-ran teams like the Rats.

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 06:09 PM
But OUR defense held Philly to 13 at home...you haven't played any offense with 1/3rd their potency yet.

The Ravens are not a quality football team...this win for us this week is a needed win, but, only because it's a game we should win. We have bigger fish to fry them has-been and already-ran teams like the Rats.

Man, I love talking football to guys like you. Nothing but cliches and trash talk! Got anything original? I mean, you held Philly to 13 but the Browns held you to 10. You know, those shitty Browns?

revefsreleets
09-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Man, I love talking football to guys like you. Nothing but cliches and trash talk! Got anything original? I mean, you held Philly to 13 but the Browns held you to 10. You know, those shitty Browns?

And I hate talking football with guys like you, because you don't even understand the game.

A) We were on the road
B) It was in the middle of "The most devastating storm we've ever seen in NEO" (not my words, the words of the power company representative when asked why it took over a week to restore power to the 1.3 million customers who lost it during that storm)
C) The Browns offense is awful...and they hung 10 on you at home on a sunny day (and it could have been much, much worse, except they have a HORRIBLE QB).

Look, dude, I'm not gonna do this much longer. What's the point? The Ravens are, by FAR the worst undefeated team in the NFL. We have to play the game and all that, but the Ravens aren't anywhere near the team the Steelers are. It's an ironclad, stonecold lock that the Steelers win by at least 10 Monday, and it could be much worse.

Besides, you won't even be around past about 10:30 Monday...