PDA

View Full Version : With Willie Parker out, Rashard Mendenhall -- ready or not -- is in

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-24-2008, 04:18 AM
With Willie Parker out, Rashard Mendenhall -- ready or not -- is in
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This is why the Steelers drafted Rashard Mendenhall in April.

They drafted a running back in the first round for the first time in 19 years not so much because they needed a younger back, or because they wanted someone to split time with Willie Parker, or because they did not think Parker would be the same after his fibula was broken in the 15th game last season.

They drafted Mendenhall in case, as coach Mike Tomlin might put it, the wheels came off Parker, and Sunday one of them did.

Mendenhall, who did not have a run from scrimmage in the past two games, will make his first NFL start Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens because Parker has a sprained left knee that likely will keep him out for at least the next two games.

"Ready or not, huh?" Tomlin said at his news conference yesterday. "No, Rashard is ready. He is a talented guy and he has been practicing well. He gets his opportunity, and I think that is what team football is all about."

It has been the year of the rookie running back early in the NFL season. Three rookies are among the league's top nine rushers: Chicago's Matt Forte (304 yards), Tennessee's Chris Johnson (276) and Oakland's Darren McFadden (252).

"A lot of his peers around the league, they have been getting opportunities, partly because they do not have Willie Parker playing in front of them," Tomlin said. "He gets his opportunity. I'm sure that he is excited and I know that our team is excited to see what he is capable of doing. What better way to start than to do it on Monday night football against the Baltimore Ravens?"

Losing Parker wasn't the only bad news Tomlin delivered yesterday. Nose tackle Casey Hampton, like Parker a selection for the Pro Bowl last season, will miss the Monday night game with a groin injury that forced him from the game Sunday in Philadelphia.

Hampton has a proven replacement in Chris Hoke. Mendenhall is unproven in the pros. He looked good running in the preseason when he wasn't losing fumbles, but he has done little in three games. He carried 10 times for 28 yards in the opening rout of Houston but has no carries since. He did not play on offense in Cleveland and did not play in Philadelphia until after Parker left late in the game with an injury that was undiagnosed until the team returned to Pittsburgh.

Mendenhall dropped the first pass thrown to him against the Eagles, caught another and ran well with it, picking up 11 yards. He has returned six kickoffs for a 19.2-yard average with a long of 27 yards and he let another bounce and roll out of bounds at the 2.

It has been an inauspicious start for the rookie running back, but he has the pedigree, which is why the Steelers drafted him in the first round.

His first start will come against the NFL's top-rated defense and fifth-best run defense. Baltimore has yielded an average of 161.5 yards a game and 71.5 yards on the ground in two victories at home against Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Tomlin said Mendenhall will be the primary ball-carrier with third-down back Mewelde Moore and fullback/halfback Carey Davis backing him up. It's likely the Steelers will re-sign Gary Russell to the 53-man roster as well. Russell was released Saturday to make room for special-teams player Patrick Bailey on the roster. The Steelers signed Russell to their practice squad this week.

Tomlin would not go into detail about what ligament Parker damaged, but a sprain means a tear to one of them. Tomlin said it happened near the end of the 15-6 loss, in which Parker carried 13 times for 20 yards. He was the NFL's third-leading rusher after two games and has 263 yards and a 4.0 average with three touchdowns, all in the opener.

"He came out, and we knew he was uncomfortable, but we didn't get the information until yesterday when we were able to run some tests," Tomlin said.

Tomlin reasoned that Mendenhall had no carries the past two games based on situations.

"The other night we had a tough time getting any rhythm going offensively. I think Willie only had 12-13 carries himself. That is just the way that the game unfolded."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08268/914516-66.stm

steelpride12
09-24-2008, 06:15 AM
He is ready and im truly excited to see what he can do when he starts.
He might fair better against a tough Ravens D because Parker never averages much against them but a bigger back the Mendy could stir the pot.
Im exciting.

Crow-Magnon
09-24-2008, 07:19 AM
this will make the mnf game that more interesting for me :popcorn:

Good luck to your rookie. It may be a rude "welcome to the NFL" for both him and Flacco.

DACEB
09-24-2008, 09:00 AM
It'll be a tough intro for Mendy, we'll get to see what this kid can do against top notch competition. Just hold onto the ball son!

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Stat line:

21 carries for 89 yards and 2 TD.

lilyoder6
09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
we'll see how good mendenhall rly is.. i think he'll do just fine.. be nice to see him break out w/ like 150 plus yrds.

Dino 6 Rings
09-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I just worry, that if this kid lights it up like we think he can, with say over 100 yards and a TD or Two and we beat the Ravens...do we have a "trade Willie" thread started next Tuesday Morning?

Or are all the "Willie Parker Sucks" people off the board officially?

pittsburghp8baller
09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I just worry, that if this kid lights it up like we think he can, with say over 100 yards and a TD or Two and we beat the Ravens...do we have a "trade Willie" thread started next Tuesday Morning?

it will be something along the lines of that

-Shold We Trade Willie Parker?

-Who Finsihes with more carries/yards now?

-How Much Longer Will Parker Be A Steeler

crap like that, but what they will fail to realize is that if you look at the past few Super Bowl champs what do all of them have? two relible backs, if Mendenhall proves himself we now have two very good backs that now when the winter months hit could mean the difference between winning and losing.

its not always who has the best starters who wins, its the team that has depth (Giants with the Deep D-Line, 2-3 running backs they could use and their what 4th or 5th receiver steps up to make the biggest play of their season)

markh
09-24-2008, 12:32 PM

I don't think Willie will have to worry about that. Mendenhall won't get close to 100 yds.

lilyoder6
09-24-2008, 12:42 PM
i agree that if he does break out for like 125 or more all those ppl who said that mendenhall will start by mid-season will come back and will start the trade willie or other shit like that

chucoblack&gold
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM

Nah, I dont think the Steelers would be that careless.

If we had these 2 great running backs we would do some major damage in the NFL!! Just look at the 2 headed monster that the Jags have .........

SCSTILLER
09-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I hope that Mendy has a breakout game. And I hope that the "trade Willie threads" don't start hitting the board after that. We need two quality backs. Look what happened last year after Willie went out, not much in the form of a running game that I remember. We will be a better team with two quality backs. Like Chuco said, look at the Jags, look at the Bolts last year, Giants so far. A two back system is almost a necessity in todays game.

but playing against the Ravens is going to be a tough first game for Mendy. I think he will do fine, just HOLD onto the "bleeping" ball!!!!!!!!!!!

chucoblack&gold
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=lamberts-lost-tooth;441198]With Willie Parker out, Rashard Mendenhall -- ready or not -- is in
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"A lot of his peers around the league, they have been getting opportunities, partly because they do not have Willie Parker playing in front of them," Tomlin said.

This should be one hell of a game to get his feet wet ....

steelpride12
09-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Ok now two Raven fans have come out of the woodwork. Hey your only 2-0 and your jumping on the bandwagon. Give me a break ha!

St33lersguy
09-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I've been waiting for him to get on the field. So much for the 1-2 punch the Steelers said they would run in April

steelwall
09-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Mendy is not as big a concern for me as the play of the o-line. I have no doubt this kid has talent, but he will need some blocking. (and good play calls) We will need some sucess in our passing game if he is going to have a good game. If we are forced to be one dimensional he won't.

Galax Steeler
09-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Ok now two Raven fans have come out of the woodwork. Hey your only 2-0 and your jumping on the bandwagon. Give me a break ha!

Agreed :toofunny:

the_king_from_leon
09-25-2008, 04:44 AM
I think that he will be ok, lets just hope he has learnt to hold the ball better than he did in pre-season!

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 07:23 AM

We'll give you a break on Tuesday. :rofl:

steelpride12
09-25-2008, 10:14 AM
We'll give you a break on Tuesday. :rofl:

After Monday night you will all crawl back in your holes and keep your peace so i think we will give you the break. :laughing:

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 10:16 AM
After Monday night you will all crawl back in your holes and keep your peace so i think we will give you the break. :laughing:

Nah, because eventually you will be heading east on I-70 towards the bay. :laughing:

Penn St Steelers
09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Nah, because eventually you will be heading east on I-70 towards the bay. :laughing:

yeah, our home away from home right?..............it's nice to see alot of this :tt: in Bmore every season, the way I figure it we have 2 extra home games this season, in Bmore and in FedEx later this season

steelpride12
09-25-2008, 10:20 AM

I think on Tuesday after our blowout win im going to walk around Baltimore with my Steeler Jersey and a stuffed raven with a noose over its neck just for you "loyal" fans. :rofl:

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I think on Tuesday after our blowout win im going to walk around Baltimore with my Steeler Jersey and a stuffed raven with a noose over its neck just for you "loyal" fans. :rofl:

I don't know if it's because we had no NFL franchise for 13 years or what, but there is a pissload of Steelers fans down here. I see their logo on a lot of cars and trucks with MD tags.

I do know that western MD follows Pittsburgh sports closely (or at least they did before cable). I watched the '83 WS in Allegany County (by Cumberland) when the O's played the Phillies. Everyone out there was rooting for the NL club as they were Pirates fans. I was with 23-25 people on a camping trip and we went to a local bar. I thought we were going to have to fight our way out!

markh
09-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Why can't you just man up and not be obnoxious? If the Steelers win hats off to them. It should be a tough physical game. By the way, I am not a bandwagon jumper. I have been a Ravens fan since day one. I just found this site. I'm not talking a bunch of smack, I just like to discuss football. That said I think the Ravens have a good shot at winning Monday.

lilyoder6
09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
i wonder if we will start the game off by passing on the first play to let mendenhall get loose.. or do we run on the first play to get the 1st carry jitter's off of him???

Dino 6 Rings
09-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Why can't you just man up and not be obnoxious? If the Steelers win hats off to them. It should be a tough physical game. By the way, I am not a bandwagon jumper. I have been a Ravens fan since day one. I just found this site. I'm not talking a bunch of smack, I just like to discuss football. That said I think the Ravens have a good shot at winning Monday.

Lets discuss football.

Baltimore is 2-0 with wins over Cincy and Cleveland. They have the #1 defense stat wise in the NFL but also, have played a game less than everyone but Houston.

Against Cleveland, the only opponent we have both faced, Baltimore had 21 1st downs, and 273 total yards. 151 on the ground. 2 turnovers but got 3 of their own on defense so a +1 difference. 19 pass attempts to 44 rush attempts. Cleveland had 73 rushing yards and 125 passing. Baltimore sacked Cleveland 5 times.

Steelers vs Cleveland
281 total yards. 117 on the ground, 179 in the air. Ben had 20 attempts, we had 31 rushing attempts. Cleveland had total 155 yards, 53 on the ground. Steelers sacked Cleveland only 2 times. Had zero turnovers but got 2, difference +2.

So what I see, is two teams that love to run the ball. Two teams that also stuff the run. That means, we have to go to passing stats and who has the better qb. Which team's qb will put them in position to win late in a game. Now if the Ravens can sack Ben more than 5 times, it'll be a very difficult thing to pass against them, but if the Steelers can keep Ben standing up right and he makes the passes he is capable of to our very talented receivers in Holmes, Ward, Miller, the Steelers should be able to get to 20 points first, which is probably the most either team will score in this one.

Should be a heck of a game. I think the Steelers win because they do have the better QB and Receivers. Defenses are a wash in my book at this point, both are very good at getting turnovers and stuffing the run.

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Lets discuss football.

Baltimore is 2-0 with wins over Cincy and Cleveland. They have the #1 defense stat wise in the NFL but also, have played a game less than everyone but Houston.

Against Cleveland, the only opponent we have both faced, Baltimore had 21 1st downs, and 273 total yards. 151 on the ground. 2 turnovers but got 3 of their own on defense so a +1 difference. 19 pass attempts to 44 rush attempts. Cleveland had 73 rushing yards and 125 passing. Baltimore sacked Cleveland 5 times.

Steelers vs Cleveland
281 total yards. 117 on the ground, 179 in the air. Ben had 20 attempts, we had 31 rushing attempts. Cleveland had total 155 yards, 53 on the ground. Steelers sacked Cleveland only 2 times. Had zero turnovers but got 2, difference +2.

So what I see, is two teams that love to run the ball. Two teams that also stuff the run. That means, we have to go to passing stats and who has the better qb. Which team's qb will put them in position to win late in a game. Now if the Ravens can sack Ben more than 5 times, it'll be a very difficult thing to pass against them, but if the Steelers can keep Ben standing up right and he makes the passes he is capable of to our very talented receivers in Holmes, Ward, Miller, the Steelers should be able to get to 20 points first, which is probably the most either team will score in this one.

Should be a heck of a game. I think the Steelers win because they do have the better QB and Receivers. Defenses are a wash in my book at this point, both are very good at getting turnovers and stuffing the run.

Great post. A lot of truth there.

LVSteelersfan
09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Don't count on Mendenhall getting 100+ yards on the Ravens D. More likely will be the fact that Ben will throw for 5 TDs in the first half and knock those crows back to Baltimore.

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Don't count on Mendenhall getting 100+ yards on the Ravens D. More likely will be the fact that Ben will throw for 5 TDs in the first half and knock those crows back to Baltimore.

Hey, if you can bypass the DEA dogs, send me some of that shit you're smokin'!!! :laughing:

markh
09-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Lets discuss football.

Steelers vs Cleveland

Good post. You are correct in that if the Ravens can't get to Ben it could be a rough night. I'm sure Flacco will need to be better than his first two which were servicable. I think this game will come down to the O-lines and the D-lines of both teams. Whoever wins those battles will probably come out on top.

markh
09-25-2008, 01:06 PM

That worked last year with McCallister and Rolle out of the game. That won't be the case Monday. If Ben has to throw too much don't be surprized if the Ravens get pick or two.

Penn St Steelers
09-25-2008, 01:18 PM
That worked last year with McCallister and Rolle out of the game. That won't be the case Monday. If Ben has to throw too much don't be surprized if the Ravens get pick or two.

your 100% correct, but let's not fool ourselves either in saying C-Mac has and will always be Hines Ward ......Bit*h...he's good for at least 2 15yd personal fouls come Monday Night seeing how Hines get under his skin.....:tt03:

markh
09-25-2008, 01:33 PM
your 100% correct, but let's not fool ourselves either in saying C-Mac has and will always be Hines Ward ......Bit*h...he's good for at least 2 15yd personal fouls come Monday Night seeing how Hines get under his skin.....:tt03:

I guess we will see who the b%tch is Monday.:flap:

Steelman16
09-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Hines has had Baltimore's number for years now. He'll never get rattled by any of your guys, you can count on it. C-Mac and Scott better watch their butts.

Reed will probably stay on the other side of the field. :chuckle:

Penn St Steelers
09-26-2008, 09:46 AM
I guess we will see who the b%tch is Monday.:flap:

no guessing involved......Hines is Daddy........:flap:

steelpride12
09-26-2008, 10:19 AM

Well im not gonna lay down and say your gonna win, good luck to you, i love the Ravens....NO!

Your a division rival and i was taught since i was 4 to hate the Clowns, Ratbirds, and the Bengals.

The hate is there im not being abnoxious im being a true Steeler fan!