PDA

View Full Version : Did Holmes quit?

The_WARDen
09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
With precious seconds ticking away, wide receiver Santonio Holmes showed absolutely no sense of urgency in getting ready for the next play. He trotted back to the line of scrimmage, giving every indication that he had resigned himself to the fact that the Steelers had no chance of pulling out the game.

Maybe I ,too, am overreacting since that went largely unnoticed and didnít have any bearing on the outcome of the game.

But a playerís body language can speak volumes. And it is often more telling than what the players say in the locker room after they have had time to collect their thoughts following a frustrating loss.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/

Edman
09-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Monday can't get here soon enough.

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Yep Edman, you said it. The talking heads are still screaming.

steelpride12
09-24-2008, 11:21 AM
I think it would be tough on anyone not getting any catches and losing a tough game.
He should have a good game Monday, but will have to have a strong will and push against the above average Corners to Baltimore.

Carolina Steelers
09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I know its tough when things arent going your way the team is losing and your not getting any touches but I dont care there is no excuse for quitting I dont care if the score is 30-0 with 1 sec. left I expect every player to play till the clock says 0:00. Maybe thats just me.

lilyoder6
09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
i don't think holmes quit,, he was running down the field evry play and he was prob tired

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2008, 12:25 PM
So let me see if I understand this??

Because Holmes didnt sprint to the line in the waning seconds of a game they were down by 2 scores, right after the QB got sacked for the 9th time instead of throwing it away. That effectively turning a 3rd and short into a 4th and long and he had to wait for Leftwich to call out the play to him anyways.......he is a quitter??

OK, yeah......what Edman said.

X-Terminator
09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
I know its tough when things arent going your way the team is losing and your not getting any touches but I dont care there is no excuse for quitting I dont care if the score is 30-0 with 1 sec. left I expect every player to play till the clock says 0:00. Maybe thats just me.

Well if that's your feeling, then any team that takes a knee to run out the clock when they have the game in hand is "quitting."

Holmes didn't quit. Don't take everything that's said in the media as gospel.

revefsreleets
09-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Who haven't we thrown under the bus yet?

"Is Steely McBeem to Blame for Steelers Woes?"

"Bush Responsible for Big Ben's 8 Sacks?"

"Osama bin Laden spotted on Steelers Sideline during Loss!"

HometownGal
09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Maybe I ,too, am overreacting since that went largely unnoticed and didnít have any bearing on the outcome of the game.

Gee - ya think? :doh:

Time for everyone, including the media jockstraps, to put the Eagles game behind us and concentrate on the game in front of us - the Rats at HF on Monday night. Lots of football yet to be played.

Santo quitting? :laughing::laughing: That kid gives 150% each and every game. Me thinks this dude needs to give his schnoz a reprieve from the glue and pay attention.

DACEB
09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Not meaning to shoot the messenger, but I don't wanna hear this garbage.

The_WARDen
09-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Not meaning to shoot the messenger, but I don't wanna hear this garbage.

Then, not to be mean, but why'd you read it? I just posted an article from the Triblive site.

Elvis
09-24-2008, 03:36 PM
:doh:You know what I think about this season so far? I think that someone needs to get out here and kick our head coaches' a$$ and our offensive line coaches as well and someone needs hire a hynotists to get to Big Ben and put it in his head that he is gonna start doing a 3 step drop and throw attitude that will keep him from gettting killed 8 times a game!! I am just sick of hearing all this blame going to our offensive line when Ben needs to get rid of the ball quicker and make quicker decisions. Now, I know that our offensive line has trouble blocking highschoolers at times, but there is a lot of times that Ben just needs to get rid of the ball.
As for Holmes giving up?... well, if I were down by 9 points with under a minute left and the defense is killing our QB all day and no one has even thrown the ball my way since the 1st quarter... I couldnt say I wouldnt blame the guy..
:mad:

fansince'76
09-24-2008, 04:04 PM
I am just sick of hearing all this blame going to our offensive line when Ben needs to get rid of the ball quicker and make quicker decisions.

Sorry, but they earned it (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/22/what-a-debacle-steelers-o-line-falls-apart-against-eagles/#cont).

....I counted eight different pass plays where an Eagles pass rusher came through completely unblocked. It's a credit to Ben Roethlisberger that he avoided the sack on five of those plays. He actually was credited with four rushes for the day, all of which came on plays where he was dodging rushers, so he could have easily been sacked 12 times.....don't think of blaming Roethlisberger for not getting rid of the ball quickly enough--Roethlisberger either got rid of the ball or was dodging his first pass rusher less than three seconds after the snap on 31 of his 37 pass plays. Four of Roethlisberger's sacks came on plays where the first rusher was on him in less than two seconds.

BurghZ0n3
09-24-2008, 04:26 PM
:doh:You know what I think about this season so far? I think that someone needs to get out here and kick our head coaches' a$$ and our offensive line coaches as well and someone needs hire a hynotists to get to Big Ben and put it in his head that he is gonna start doing a 3 step drop and throw attitude that will keep him from gettting killed 8 times a game!! I am just sick of hearing all this blame going to our offensive line when Ben needs to get rid of the ball quicker and make quicker decisions. Now, I know that our offensive line has trouble blocking highschoolers at times, but there is a lot of times that Ben just needs to get rid of the ball.

We're all MAD about it, Elvis...but let's see what happens on Monday Night....if there's NO improvement what so ever, then...IT SHALL BE WRITTEN, AND IT SHALL BE DONE!!! :banging::banging::banging::tt::tt02::tt::tt02::tt ::tt02:

Carolina Steelers
09-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Well if that's your feeling, then any team that takes a knee to run out the clock when they have the game in hand is "quitting."

Holmes didn't quit. Don't take everything that's said in the media as gospel.

You know what I mean dont try to be silly, about taking a knee when the gm is in hand. Thats expected. I hope Ben gets Holmes the ball early maybe even go deep early in the game

X-Terminator
09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
As for Holmes giving up?... well, if I were down by 9 points with under a minute left and the defense is killing our QB all day and no one has even thrown the ball my way since the 1st quarter... I couldnt say I wouldnt blame the guy..

You know what I think? I think you're behaving like a typical "fire the coaches, bench the QB" Steelers "fan".

Come on man. You're better than that!

steelwall
09-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Pointing fingers at this stage is natural, but perhaps you need to point all 10 of your fingers.

My opinion about the Eagles game the O-line constantly got beat, weather it be lack of skill or play calling...honestly who knows?

However, I do believe that adjustments in blocking schemes should have been addressed at half time.

The fact is we hung in there, even when our QB was tossed around. I'm not ready to give up. Our O-line are professionals, regardless of how it looked in that game.

Our O-line has the tools to man handle defensive lines, rushing 8 guys, they certainly cannot handle, no O-line could. Play calling should have been the answer to this embarrassment. Try blocking 3 people at a time, no matter how good a line man is, this is unrealistic.

That being said what can we do? No doubt every team seen this game, and will exploit it. Our offensive philosophy must change, in terms of protection.

I have faith in Tomlin, he's too smart a coach to let this happen week in and week out. Trust me....he knows we have a franchise QB and the last thing he wants to see is 8 sacks on our most valuable player.

Monday will be the test, if Ben takes 8 sacks in this game then we really do have a problem.

My personal opinion is that our line got beat so many times they where in a frenzy.

Either way this can't happen all year or our 100 million dollar man is doomed. I'm positive our coaching staff realizes this. If changes in blocking schemes are made, and Ben continues to take a beating then its time to make coaching changes.

Realistically we can't fire the entire o-line, we must make due with what we have.

SteelersMongol
09-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Holmes is no quitter.

Steelman16
09-24-2008, 11:03 PM
If you polled every guy on the team, I'll bet you more than half of them just wanted to get the heck off that field and go home.

As said, Holmes ain't a quitter.

The media just needs to shut up. Losses are losses. I guess everyone's been spoiled by the Pats*.

missedgehead
09-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Good Lord, it seems like the media is sounding the general alarm as if the proverbial Titanic is sinking. Good grief. Why don't we break up the team?

Galax Steeler
09-25-2008, 04:38 AM
I don't think Holmes layed down that is not his charecter.

HometownGal
09-25-2008, 08:03 AM
We're all MAD about it, Elvis...but let's see what happens on Monday Night....if there's NO improvement what so ever, then...IT SHALL BE WRITTEN, AND IT SHALL BE DONE!!! :banging::banging::banging::tt::tt02::tt::tt02::tt ::tt02:

Oh God - not another week like this one! :banging::banging::banging::chuckle:

As I always say - you can't put silk socks on a hog. Let's face it - our OL is one of the worst overall in the league. Hopefully, Tomlin and Zierlein put a boot in their asses this week and they'll find a way to get the job done on Monday night.

Elvis
09-25-2008, 11:20 AM
You know what I think? I think you're behaving like a typical "fire the coaches, bench the QB" Steelers "fan".

Come on man. You're better than that!
Terminator... I have probably been a Steelers fan longer than you have been alive!. Thats not the way I am, I call it like I see it. Tomlin has done nothing on his own so far... all that he has won with so far it Cowhers' team players... none of his has panned out and I dont look for them to anytime soon.
:doh:

steelpride12
09-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Terminator... I have probably been a Steelers fan longer than you have been alive!. Thats not the way I am, I call it like I see it. Tomlin has done nothing on his own so far... all that he has won with so far it Cowhers' team players... none of his has panned out and I dont look for them to anytime soon.
:doh:

Its not Tomlin's job to fix the OL or whatever that's why every position has a coach.