PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One?

Elvis
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I was just wondering if anyone had any feelings about our Head Coach and his assistants thus far in the Tomlin era?
The guy has a no.2 draft pick that alot liked during the preseason that is not even dressing for games... whats up with that? Does that mean we will have him and Davis (LB) not dressing? 2 out of our draft choices from this year are not even dressing... The steelers didnt make any adjusments to help our linemen out and keep them off Ben in the 2nd half... Is that Not what halftime is for? The Eagles killed us continuously the whole game.. and it just seems like we never did anything to correct it and get Ben some help.. I blame the coaches for this!!!

I am just really irritated with Tomlin and Co. right now. I just wonder what Mr. Rooney is thinking in the back of his mind of him as well..
:noidea:

steelpride12
09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Im truly not upset with Tomlin because of how he kept this team how Cowher would have wanted it. Tomlin is now 12-7 last 2 years and kept us with a defensive mind and agreed with Dick L.

The only thing im upset with is the lack of OL draft picks this year, but the Rooney's always make excellent picks so im guessing it will all work out.

Of Cours the OL coach should be gone after this season. Obviously what he is teaching them or the adjustments there learning are not helping and he just has not impressed any of the Steeler nation over the last 4 years now.

fansince'76
09-25-2008, 11:21 AM
I just wonder what Mr. Rooney is thinking in the back of his mind of him as well.

I have a feeling Rooney is a lot more patient than you're being. In fact, I know he is - that's kinda why Cowher hung around after the 3-year slide from 1998-2000 when this team failed to make the playoffs at all. This is also essentially the same OL that Ben got sacked 49 times behind in 2006. Tomlin inherited that problem, he didn't create it.

Dino 6 Rings
09-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Lets take a look

2003 - Cowher
1st round Troy P
2nd round Alonzo Jackson

2004 - Cowher
1st Round Big Ben
2nd round Ricardo Colclough

2005 - Cowher
1st round Heath Miller
2nd round Bryant McFadden

2006 - Cowher
1st round Santonio Holmes
2nd round Anthony Smith

2007 - Tomlin
1st round Timmons
2nd round Woodley

2008 - Tomlin
1st round Mendenhall
2nd round Sweed

Ok, well the draft selections by Timmons aren't that bad when really looked at historically.

The Eagles Defense did great, bottom line, 6 sacks in 9 pass attempts is a ridiculous stat that isn't likely to be duplicated all year by any team. Coaches had a bad game plan going in, sure, we didn't adjust sure. But I believe in the long run, Tomlin will be just fine as our head coach and I smell SBs in our future.

Dino 6 Rings
09-25-2008, 11:26 AM
By the way, I have been calling for Sweed to start even if he "can't run routes" the guy is 19 feet tall and Ben can just toss it up and he can come down with it in the red zone.

I am not a Nate fan at all.

Elvis
09-25-2008, 11:29 AM
yeh Fansince 76' the guy seems like he doesnt know how to fix that problem either... The guy was a defensive coodinator for one year.. his defense sucked vs the pass and that Vikings team still does.. he comes to a team that is very talented and pretty young on offense, all he needs to do is get Offensive line help and defensive line depth right?... well the guy has done neither so far!
Just not bought into Tomlin myself, but maybe I will be wrong and I will be the first to admit to it...
:hatsoff:

MasterOfPuppets
09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
By the way, I have been calling for Sweed to start even if he "can't run routes" the guy is 19 feet tall and Ben can just toss it up and he can come down with it in the red zone.

I am not a Nate fan at all.well apparently he couldn't even beat out dallas baker for an active roster spot !!! hey it just takes some guys a little longer to adjust to a pro offense. it took burress 3 years till he started showing descent production.

Elvis
09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Thats true Master...

I hate to be down on the guy, but look what those drops do for the Browns' WR ya know... he could have atleast 20 more receptions last season. Edwards has all the talent in the world for the Browns, but he lacks concetration and I just wonder if that is what is going on with Sweed, that and maybe having a hard time learning our offense.
:coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
well apparently he couldn't even beat out dallas baker for an active roster spot !!! hey it just takes some guys a little longer to adjust to a pro offense. it took burress 3 years till he started showing descent production.

I kind of want to see Baker do well, so I don't mind seeing him out there either. I just hate that Nate drops balls at big times.

Great point with Burress, he wasn't a super star day 1. Even Holmes took an entire season to have an impact game.

HometownGal
09-25-2008, 11:44 AM
I was just wondering if anyone had any feelings about our Head Coach and his assistants thus far in the Tomlin era?
The guy has a no.2 draft pick that alot liked during the preseason that is not even dressing for games... whats up with that? Does that mean we will have him and Davis (LB) not dressing? 2 out of our draft choices from this year are not even dressing... The steelers didnt make any adjusments to help our linemen out and keep them off Ben in the 2nd half... Is that Not what halftime is for? The Eagles killed us continuously the whole game.. and it just seems like we never did anything to correct it and get Ben some help.. I blame the coaches for this!!!

I am just really irritated with Tomlin and Co. right now. I just wonder what Mr. Rooney is thinking in the back of his mind of him as well..

C'mon Elvis - don't you feel you are being just a tad unfair here to Tomlin? The guy took Cowher's 8-8 team from 2006 and turned them back into AFCN champs last season with the help of his coaches and coordinators, which includes Bruce Arians. We are only going into Game #4 in a 16 game season and have played poorly overall in ONE of those games. Sure I put a LOT of blame for last Sunday's gagfest on the OL, but I also give credit where credit is due - Andy Reid and Jim Johnson called an excellent game plan and the Eagles players did exactly what was expected of them.

If we see another couple of performances by our O and line like the Eagles' game, then we can start to question the coaches' strategies but after one loss? I think that is terribly premature and extremely unfair.

X-Terminator
09-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Yes.

Elvis
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
The guy never makes good adjustments. He moves all the offensive linemen around every other practice during camps and they never have the opportunity to gel with each other... There is no way anyone can convince me that Max Starks can not beat out Colon either. The guy is just standing there watching people go by him and then he tries to dive to make it look like he is actually trying. Colon is a joke on the Right side of our line. Sorry, if I am coming across so negative, but we havent played even close to the hardest part of our schedule yet... I just think that it is gonna be a long season if something doesnt happen on that line.
:helmet:

lilyoder6
09-25-2008, 12:24 PM
we do have a shit load of lb's on the team and i would think it would be hard for davis to dress... and for sweed.. i am a lil suprised by that but i would hope that sweed keeps working he'll get on the field and make some plays

GBMelBlount
09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
The only thing im upset with is the lack of OL draft picks this year..

I wasn't upset with our first two picks this year, based on the circumstances, and I had hoped they would start to address the line IMMEDIATELY following that.....However, what I am probably more upset that it was almost completely ignored last year, and other years to some degree as well. I certainly hope and pray the line comes together this year and things work out, but let's be honest, if the line falls apart this year, it should be surprising to noone. There have been line questions for a long time and little has been done to properly address it imho.

That being said, we have to work with what we have, so I am certainly hoping some adjustments are made based on what has been learned, and that this is simply a hiccup. :thumbsup:

And of course we can start speculating about the linemen in next years draft. :chuckle: Right LLT?

revefsreleets
09-25-2008, 12:46 PM
It's week 3. It's definitely time to fire Arians and Tomlin and the rest of the coaches. We can let Ben coach the team like Jim Thorpe did back in the 20's or whatever as a player/coach.

You know, whatever gives us the best chance to win...

Week 3...and just one loss...:uhh:

Edman
09-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Yes. Yes you are.

SteelMember
09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Tomlin is a bum.*

He's done nothing but take us to the playoffs 1 stinking time.*

Fire his ass.*

HometownGal
09-25-2008, 04:55 PM
My Vote In '09 Is New Coach New Coordinators

Saving to memory bank . . . . . . . . . .

fansince'76
09-25-2008, 05:23 PM
My Vote In '09 Is New Coach New Coordinators

Yep, and people wonder why I'm scared to death of the prospect of a "diehard fan" taking over controlling interest in the team. Knee-jerk overreaction and extreme impatience like this is why. I'd really hate to see this team become the Redskins. :coffee:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Mike Tomlin doesn't have the final desicion in who is drafted, that's left up to the Director of Football Operations, Kevin Colbert and Dan Rooney. So we cannot lay all the blame on Tomlin when it comes to who is and isn't drafted.

Not to mention, we have only had two drafts in the Mike Tomlin era. And he inherited an offensive line that had problems. It's not like Cowher was asking Colbert to draft offensive linemen in the first two rounds.

And as for us not taking a ton of offensive linemen in this year's draft, lets look at who was taken at what spot on the OL and who the Steelers took in that round.

Round 1

1. Jake Long, OT Miami Dolphins
12. Ryan Clady, OT Denver Broncos
14. Chris Williams, OT Chicago Bears
15. Branden Albert, OG (now OT) Kansas City Chiefs
17. Gosder Cherilus, OT Detroit Lions
19. Jeff Otah, OT Carolina Panthers
21. Sam Baker, OT Atlanta Falcons
23. Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh Steelers
26. Duane Brown, OT Houston Texans

First Round Breakdown: Every offensive lineman I wanted was taken before our pick. The only one taken after our first round pick was Duane Brown who I thought was a second rounder that the Texans reached for. I don't think he would have won a starting job in training camp, because he's no better than what we currently have at OT. We took the best player available to get value for our pick. And as for trading up, it takes two to do that. Maybe nobody wanted to trade down, or maybe their asking price was to high.

Round 2

8 (39). Chilo Rachal, OG San Fransisco 49ers
22 (53). Limas Sweed, WR Pittburgh Steelers

Second Round Breakdown: Only one offensive lineman taken the entire round. Basicly, this draft had a bunch of first rounder prospects, then after that it really drops off.

Round 3

2 (65). John Greco, OT St. Louis Rams
20 (83). Jeremy Zuttah, OG Tampa Bay Buccaneers
25 (88). Bruce Davis, DE (now OLB) Pittsburgh Steelers
33 (96). Chad Rinehart, OT Washington Redskins
36 (99). Oniel Cousins, OG Baltimore Ravens

Third Round Breakdown: Once more, guys that wouldn't make an impact on our current line, so we went for LB depth.

Round 4

8 (107). Cody Wallace, OL San Fransisco 49ers
9 (108). Kory Lichtensteiger, OG Denver Broncos
10 (109). Mike McGlynn, OT Philadelphia Eagles
11 (110). Shawn Murphy, OT Miami Dolphins
13 (112). Anthony Collins, OT Cincinnati Bengals
31 (130). Tony Hills, OT Pittsburgh Steelers
34 (133). David Hale, OT Baltimore Ravens
36 (135). Josh Sitton, OT Green bay Packers

Fourth Round Overview: Lots of o-line picks, including one by the Steelers. However, none of these guys would win a starting spot on our line without injury to guys in front of them.

Round 5

15 (150). Breno Giacomini, OT Green Bay Packers
21 (156). Dennis Dixon, QB Pittsburgh Steelers
22 (157). Roy Schuening, OG St. Louis Rams
29 (164). Carl Nicks, OT New Orleans Saints

Fifth Round Overview: Three offensive linemen taken, we take a QB who can be used as a "Slash" type player or groomed as the future backup QB and possible trade bait. Once again, nobody who will make an impact.

Round 6

4 (170). Barry Richardson, OT Kasas City Chiefs
18 (184). Mike Gibson, OT Philadelphia Eagles
22 (188). Mike Humpal, LB Pittsburgh Steelers
29 (195). Donald Thomas, OG Miami Dolphins
35 (201). Steve Justice, C Indianapolis Colts

Sixth Round Overview: More of the same.

Round 7

4 (211). Nate Garner, OT New York Jets
12 (219). Demetrius Bell, OT Buffalo Bills
15 (222). Chester Adams, OT Chicago Bears
23 (230). King Dunlap, OT Philadelphia Eagles
27 (234). Corey Clark, OT San Diego Chargers
29 (236). Jamey Richard, OL Indianolis Colts
34 (241). Geoff Shwartz, OL Carolina Panthers
43 (250). Mackenzy Bernadeau, OG Carolina Panthers

Seventh Round Overview: We didn't have a pick. Lots of o-linemen taken. Most probally cut or on pracrice squads...no impact players once again.

So once again, someone please point out someone available to us whom we could have taken who would make this offensive line better? There was nobody available who would be able to step in and make this line better.

So please, stop bitching about the Steelers not drafting heavy on the o-line in this most recent draft.

ShutDown24
09-25-2008, 07:20 PM

And last year everyone here was destroying Tomlin & crew for the Timmons selection. As far as the draft goes, you can't critisize anyone for a selection THREE WEEKS into their actual NFL career.

Adjustments? What more could they have adjusted on? The backs and tights started staying into block on most downs once the pressure was getting to Ben. It didn't help much, but what else could the coaching staff have done? You can't have the wide outs block too... The only potential move that could have happened was Starks being put in at RT in place of Colon, but the entire line played poorly so that wouldn't have sparked much.

At some point, you just have to play the game. The team had a bad week and that's all there is to it. Blame who you will, the coaches or men on the field. But when it comes down to it, The Steelers lost - not any individual or group of the team.

Davison_K
09-25-2008, 11:24 PM

I am not a Nate fan at all.

I didn't feel like Nate did that poorly last week... I felt like he caught some pretty nice balls and I didn't really see a drop so... :noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
I didn't feel like Nate did that poorly last week... I felt like he caught some pretty nice balls and I didn't really see a drop so... :noidea:

he isn't consistant enough for my taste and drops passes in big spots.

steelpride12
09-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I wasn't upset with our first two picks this year, based on the circumstances, and I had hoped they would start to address the line IMMEDIATELY following that.....However, what I am probably more upset that it was almost completely ignored last year, and other years to some degree as well. I certainly hope and pray the line comes together this year and things work out, but let's be honest, if the line falls apart this year, it should be surprising to noone. There have been line questions for a long time and little has been done to properly address it imho.

That being said, we have to work with what we have, so I am certainly hoping some adjustments are made based on what has been learned, and that this is simply a hiccup. :thumbsup:

And of course we can start speculating about the linemen in next years draft. :chuckle: Right LLT?

It just bums me out of the picks this season. Ya Mendy was a good pick and i think sweed was to, but a QB, another LB? Plus i feel like Tony Hills prob. will get cut next season and we will start out by getting another stupid position like Safety, another QB maybe and it frustrates me.

Elvis
09-29-2008, 11:18 AM
RoethlisBURGHer (http://forums.steelersfever.com/member.php?u=370)
Living Legend

There is plenty of reasons to gripe about the drafting the last couple years for the Steelers!

Look back at your list:....

OT Duane Brown is starting for the Texans...
OG Roy Schuening and OT Carl Nicks are both better than Tony Hills will ever be!

C Steve Justice was the highest rated Center in the draft and OG Zuttah is getting alot of playing time for the Buccaneers..

So, keep up with the info your trying to push over on some fans...

fansince'76
09-29-2008, 12:44 PM
There is plenty of reasons to gripe about the drafting the last couple years for the Steelers!

You also squawked back in early March about the Steelers "standing pat" and "letting the division slip away to the Browns" in FA (link (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=371946#post371946)). How has that worked out so far? :coffee:

HometownGal
09-29-2008, 12:54 PM

We grabbed Mendy in the 1st round at Pick 23 and Brown went to the Texans at Pick 26. Obviously, that decision turned out to be a good one, as we'd be up shit creek without the paddle at the RB position with FWP out for several games.

Edman
09-29-2008, 01:07 PM
The offensive lineman the Steelers didn't draft would've been sitting on the bench right now while we watch the running game fall apart. We have Willie and that's it.

We drafted Mendenhall for this very reason. Willie is coming off an injury, is now injured again and won't be back any time soon.

The_WARDen
09-29-2008, 01:32 PM
but with a suspect Oline, does Mendenhall really matter tonight?

Who knows? I guess we'll find out but I doubt he'll be a big factor in the outcome unless he fumbles.

ricksteelers55
09-29-2008, 03:40 PM
RoethlisBURGHer (http://forums.steelersfever.com/member.php?u=370)
Living Legend

OG Roy Schuening and OT Carl Nicks are both better than Tony Hills will ever be!

C Steve Justice was the highest rated Center in the draft and OG Zuttah is getting alot of playing time for the Buccaneers..

First did you see how OT Duane Brown is playin this year ? I think he was credited to 5 sacks in 4 games.He is nowhere near as good as any of our OL right now.

All the OL that are starting right now(zuttah and co) are starting because of injuries to starters so there is no reason to think that they would start here when we dont even dress our 2nd round pick(Sweed) not even as the 4th receiver do you really think we would start a lineman in the 2nd or 3rd ? I dont think so

Go Steelers

Elvis
09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
You also squawked back in early March about the Steelers "standing pat" and "letting the division slip away to the Browns" in FA (link (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=371946#post371946)). How has that worked out so far? :coffee:
And I guess you knew exactly what was gonna happen to this point I guess Fansince?... You knew just as much as I did where we would be at right now.. you didnt know ___-- about what was gonna happen this far into the season either. :mad:

Elvis
09-29-2008, 03:52 PM
First did you see how OT Duane Brown is playin this year ? I think he was credited to 5 sacks in 4 games.He is nowhere near as good as any of our OL right now.

All the OL that are starting right now(zuttah and co) are starting because of injuries to starters so there is no reason to think that they would start here when we dont even dress our 2nd round pick(Sweed) not even as the 4th receiver do you really think we would start a lineman in the 2nd or 3rd ? I dont think so

Go Steelers
I am having a hard time figuring out how Duane has played in 4 games so far...:noidea:

fansince'76
09-29-2008, 03:52 PM
And I guess you knew exactly what was gonna happen to this point I guess Fansince?... You knew just as much as I did where we would be at right now.. you didnt know ___-- about what was gonna happen this far into the season either. :mad:

Think I had a pretty good idea:

I think I'll wait until the Browns actually win a game against the Steelers (something that hasn't happened in almost five years now) before I push the panic button. Especially a Browns team that doesn't have a draft pick until the FOURTH round this year.

....a grand total of 2 winning seasons and one playoff berth since 1999. Division championships aren't won in March.

Elvis
09-29-2008, 03:56 PM
This is the post Fansince is refering to in his thread earlier. And I still stand by this thread by myself in most part....
Look at this:... If the steelers are gonna keep a hold of the division this upcoming '08 season they must improve their O Line and defensive line as well..... I Stand By That Still Today!!
After last game vs the Eagles proves my points...:doh:
We didnt improve our Oline or improve our Dline either.

Let the new reign of AFC North Favorites Begin Folks.. Yep, you heard it hear 1st. The Browns are improving as we speak. Stallworth added at WR and the 2 massive DL coming over from the Packers. The Steelers are gonna stand pat and let the division slip away. If the Steelers are gonna keep a hold of the division this upcoming '08 season they must improve their O Line and defensive line as well. I am not trying to be unSteeler like folks, but if the Steelers dont improve these areas I honestly believe that we are gonna get passed by by the upcoming young Browns.

Elvis
09-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Think I had a pretty good idea:
:applaudit: Glad To Know We Have A Know It All Here At Steelerfever.. So, let us in on what the rest of the season has in store for those guys in Vegas and save us all the trouble of watching tonights game... Thanks..

fansince'76
09-29-2008, 03:58 PM
I am not trying to be unSteeler like folks, but if the Steelers dont improve these areas I honestly believe that we are gonna get passed by by the upcoming young Browns.

And the Browns starting 1-3 and looking like complete crap while doing it pretty much refutes the argument.

fansince'76
09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
:applaudit: Glad To Know We Have A Know It All Here At Steelerfever.. So, let us in on what the rest of the season has in store for those guys in Vegas and save us all the trouble of watching tonights game... Thanks..

Oh, no! The Browns spent a boatload of money in FA while the Steelers just stood still! It's only March, and we're gonna lose the division to the up-and-coming Browns, I just know it! Damn cheap Rooneys! The sky is falling and the draft is only about 2 months away! :chicken:

Elvis
09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh, no! The Browns spent a boatload of money in FA while the Steelers just stood still! It's only March, and we're gonna lose the division to the up-and-coming Browns! The sky is falling! :chicken:
:thumbsup: Nice job fortune teller...

fansince'76
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Why? Because I don't concede division titles on paper to historically awful teams in March?

Preacher
09-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Look at the history of the Browns.

It doesn't take a fortune teller... just someone who actually follows the game instead of overreacting to every localized move.

Elvis
09-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Look at the history of the Browns.

It doesn't take a fortune teller... just someone who actually follows the game instead of overreacting to every localized move.
So, now I am someone that doesnt really follow the game?...:chuckle:
Ok...

Elvis
09-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Why? Because I don't concede division titles on paper to historically awful teams in March?
whatever...

Preacher
09-29-2008, 04:28 PM
So, now I am someone that doesnt really follow the game?...:chuckle:
Ok...

read the ENTIRE statement for proper comprehension.

fansince'76
09-29-2008, 04:39 PM
whatever...

Let the new reign of AFC North Favorites Begin Folks.. Yep, you heard it hear 1st.

YOUR words, not mine.

Elvis
09-29-2008, 04:41 PM
YOUR words, not mine.
Thats right... so just drop it

HometownGal
09-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Thats right... so just drop it

Why should HE drop it Elvis? You shot the first poison dart.

Next March, make sure your Ouija board is polished.

Preacher
09-29-2008, 05:02 PM

Hey now... be careful. You never know what kind of messages will come from those...

just look at this!!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Wix427/clowns.jpg

Elvis
09-29-2008, 05:25 PM

:applaudit::rofl::chuckle::noidea:

Elvis
09-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Thats what I wrote and I am still sticking to it.. The Steelers have NOT fixed or helped either line... And it is gonna show up... just wait n see...

And why should he drop it?... just let it go. I am done with ya...

Let the new reign of AFC North Favorites Begin Folks.. Yep, you heard it hear 1st. The Browns are improving as we speak. Stallworth added at WR and the 2 massive DL coming over from the Packers. The Steelers are gonna stand pat and let the division slip away. If the Steelers are gonna keep a hold of the division this upcoming '08 season they must improve their O Line and defensive line as well. I am not trying to be unSteeler like folks, but if the Steelers dont improve these areas I honestly believe that we are gonna get passed by by the upcoming young Browns.

Preacher
09-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Thats what I wrote and I am still sticking to it.. The Steelers have NOT fixed or helped either line... And it is gonna show up... just wait n see...

And why should he drop it?... just let it go. I am done with ya...

Huh?

RodWoodson26
09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I think it's still a little early to tell if Tomlin is the right coach for this team or not, but you made some great points about the lack adjustments 2nd half of last game.

We will see what happens if this happens again. If the Ravens come with a lot of blitzes, will Tomlin be able to make in game adjustments and call for shorter drop backs for Ben and quick slant routes and more screen passes. They can also run draw plays on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4.

Elvis
09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
That thread written by me back in march was explaining that I felt like the Browns were passing the Steelers by in our division. I just put in that thread what I thought the Steelers needed to do to keep this AFC North tittle in Pittsburgh where it belongs. I dont think the Steelers did anything to help our team very much in this past aprils' draft, but only time will tell I know. And now Hometowngal wants to jump on me now I guess...

Doesnt really matter... we will see what happens to this offensive line and defensive lines tonight I would say. We are missing our best NT in years and our offensive line gives up sacks more than anyone in the league. Our rushing defense struggled last year at the end of the year without Aaron Smith and now we will see how bad they struggle when we havent got big snack in the middle of our d-line tonight.

But all in all... its all good so there is no hard feelings from my side... its just that my opinion usually doesnt count for much anyway...

Elvis
09-29-2008, 06:01 PM
I think it's still a little early to tell if Tomlin is the right coach for this team or not, but you made some great points about the lack adjustments 2nd half of last game.

We will see what happens if this happens again. If the Ravens come with a lot of blitzes, will Tomlin be able to make in game adjustments and call for shorter drop backs for Ben and quick slant routes and more screen passes. They can also run draw plays on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4.

Thanks Rod. I was a little frustrated with Tomlin after last weeks game and I know that I shouldnt hold one week against someone and I try not to do that, but when you sit there week after week and watch our $102 million franchise QB getting pounded.. it kind of gets to me. The guy aint gonna be able to hold up to that for very much longer and him already struggling with a shoulder problem as well... him being Big Ben.
They even talked about that shorter routes and and screen passes on the ESPN today, saying that the steelers should do that more against a more agressive defenses like the Eagles last week and now the Ravens tonight. Just seems to me like that Tomlin and our coaches should see that way before the guys behind that desk at ESPN does.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-29-2008, 06:06 PM
You do realize that we went 15-1 with Big Snack out for most of the season, right?

Elvis
09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
:doh: yeah... and we didnt have this offensive line in front of Big Ben either or am I wrong about that also? You can say what ya want but this team is not as good as that team was even with Ben being a rookie our defense was better than it is now..

X-Terminator
09-29-2008, 06:15 PM
I am having a hard time figuring out how Duane has played in 4 games so far...:noidea:

You mean the same Duane Brown who was completely owned by James Harrison in Week 1? Yeah, I'd REALLY want him starting for my team!

That thread written by me back in march was explaining that I felt like the Browns were passing the Steelers by in our division. I just put in that thread what I thought the Steelers needed to do to keep this AFC North tittle in Pittsburgh where it belongs. I dont think the Steelers did anything to help our team very much in this past aprils' draft, but only time will tell I know. And now Hometowngal wants to jump on me now I guess...

Doesnt really matter... we will see what happens to this offensive line and defensive lines tonight I would say. We are missing our best NT in years and our offensive line gives up sacks more than anyone in the league. Our rushing defense struggled last year at the end of the year without Aaron Smith and now we will see how bad they struggle when we havent got big snack in the middle of our d-line tonight.

But all in all... its all good so there is no hard feelings from my side... its just that my opinion usually doesnt count for much anyway...

Well hey, if you didn't want to have your words come back and bite you in the ass, then perhaps you shouldn't have said them. You did, and you got called out on it. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Preacher
09-29-2008, 06:19 PM
:doh: yeah... and we didnt have this offensive line in front of Big Ben either or am I wrong about that also? You can say what ya want but this team is not as good as that team was even with Ben being a rookie our defense was better than it is now..

No, we had a couple people out.. Vincent, Hartings, and one other played that year.

However, two yeas later, still under Cowher, we had the SAME line that we had last year, except that Colon was a backup. yet, we were sacked MORE than last year. So the issue isn't the coaches, by virtue of two coaching staffs having the same result with the same line.

Our defense was better? Not on your life. Our defense SEEMED better because we were able to control the clock on offense by running the ball. Yet when it mattered the most, we couldn't stop the Patriots from scoring.

I have more hope in this defense now. Our secondary is quite a bit better than that one was. Our LB's are better. The line is a bit weaker, but I will venture, not by much.

steelpride12
09-29-2008, 06:29 PM
No, we had a couple people out.. Vincent, Hartings, and one other played that year.

However, two yeas later, still under Cowher, we had the SAME line that we had last year, except that Colon was a backup. yet, we were sacked MORE than last year. So the issue isn't the coaches, by virtue of two coaching staffs having the same result with the same line.

Our defense was better? Not on your life. Our defense SEEMED better because we were able to control the clock on offense by running the ball. Yet when it mattered the most, we couldn't stop the Patriots from scoring.

I have more hope in this defense now. Our secondary is quite a bit better than that one was. Our LB's are better. The line is a bit weaker, but I will venture, not by much.
Our defense is def. alot stronger with Harrison and Wood coming in and picking there rolls up quickly.

Our secondary is def. much improved after 2 seasons ago when Ike got benched for poor play, and no he makes excellent plays. Mcfadden has stepped up huge for Deshea and has earned the #2 Corner roll.
Polumalu is finally healthy and back to normal, you cant complain that he has played 3 games this season and has 3 INT's.

I feel its all heart at this point. The line was practically the same last season in the 38-7 win and they gave up only 2 sacks. So if the players adjust and go out with the mindset of domination and play like there getting paid millions, they can pull out a good game against the ratbirds.

Elvis
09-29-2008, 06:35 PM
:rofl: Dont agree at all.. but that is everyone's opinion

Elvis
09-29-2008, 06:36 PM
You mean the same Duane Brown who was completely owned by James Harrison in Week 1? Yeah, I'd REALLY want him starting for my team!

Well hey, if you didn't want to have your words come back and bite you in the ass, then perhaps you shouldn't have said them. You did, and you got called out on it. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Crumble Your Own!:popcorn:

X-Terminator
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Crumble Your Own!:popcorn:

Nice answer...

What in the hell is your problem all of a sudden?

Elvis
09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
XNXNX:noidea:

steelpride12
09-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Come on dude grow up.

X-Terminator
09-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Our defense is def. alot stronger with Harrison and Wood coming in and picking there rolls up quickly.

Our secondary is def. much improved after 2 seasons ago when Ike got benched for poor play, and no he makes excellent plays. Mcfadden has stepped up huge for Deshea and has earned the #2 Corner roll.
Polumalu is finally healthy and back to normal, you cant complain that he has played 3 games this season and has 3 INT's.

I feel its all heart at this point. The line was practically the same last season in the 38-7 win and they gave up only 2 sacks. So if the players adjust and go out with the mindset of domination and play like there getting paid millions, they can pull out a good game against the ratbirds.

The Steelers right now have allowed a whopping 38 points, or 12.7 points per game. If the season ended today, that would top the 2004 team which allowed just under 16 points per game, and last year's team that average just over 16 PPG. Now granted, they still have some pretty powerful offensive teams left on the schedule, but if that isn't better, then I don't know what is.

X-Terminator
09-29-2008, 06:53 PM

What are you, 5 years old or something?

steelpride12
09-29-2008, 06:55 PM
The Steelers right now have allowed a whopping 38 points, or 12.7 points per game. If the season ended today, that would top the 2004 team which allowed just under 16 points per game, and last year's team that average just over 16 PPG. Now granted, they still have some pretty powerful offensive teams left on the schedule, but if that isn't better, then I don't know what is.

Yes, but it would be a little less per game just for the fact that the Texans scored 14 after we took most of our starters out, but that's agreed.

Its def. too early to completely judge because we have a tough schedule full of offensive teams and after seeing how we play against then we can judge our defense.

HometownGal
09-29-2008, 06:59 PM

C'mon Elvis - knock it off please? Learn to disagree respectfully or take your show on the road. You posted a very volatile topic - you're smart enough to know that it would have been questioned and opposed, including by me.

steelpride12
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
C'mon Elvis - knock it off please? Learn to disagree respectfully or take your show on the road. You posted a very volatile topic - you're smart enough to know that it would have been questioned and opposed, including by me.

Exactly. Dude the point of threads are to share your topics and opinions, and have everybody comment and share their opinions about the subject. If you don't agree with that then c ya later buddy.

moedap
09-29-2008, 08:52 PM
I think its a matter of line identity. This line was drafted to help move the ball by running. Specifically powered with a big back with incredible vision of tight spaces, punishing delivery to second and third level backs and a lightness of feet which allows quick cutbacks. Now they are being asked to block for a different kind of runner and protect a passer. In my opinion Tomlin and Arians are not going to abandon their hope of converting the offense over to suit the QB instead of the HB. They will continue to run a scheme that doesnt suit our linemans natural abilities. Why? Because thats what a lot of you Steelers fans want. Big Ben is making 110 million for a reason. Mendlehall and Sweed were taking for a reason. The Steelers under current ownership typically stay the course no matter the bumps. Allow Tomlin and company the same courtesy their bosses allow them...patience.