PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Questioning the Enemy

SCSTILLER
09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Hope this hasn't been posted already!

Questioning the Enemy: Steelers
BR.com got five questions answered from Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and WR Hines Ward. by BaltimoreRavens.com
Sep 24, 2008, 3:55PM Font Size:
With the Ravens preparing to take on the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday Night Football, two members of the enemy team answered a few questions about their squad.

BR.com gives you head coach Mike Tomlin and wideout Hines Ward.

Head Coach Mike Tomlin

How have the Ravens had success this season?

Mike Tomlin: “I think, more than anything, is that they’re 2-0 and they’re playing to their strengths. They’re dominating time of possession, 37 minutes to 23 on average, over the first two games. They’ve run the ball 90 times in two games. That’s more than we’ve run it in three games, and we run it more than most. The punter [Sam Koch] is doing a nice job; he’s a 44-yard dead average. And they’re playing great defense. They’ve got the No. 1 defense in the world. So, you put those things together, and they’re playing their brand of football, and they’re 2-0.”

Is the biggest rivalry the Steelers have with the Ravens?

MT: “Well, you know we’ve got some big rivalries in this division. We think the Cleveland one is pretty big, too, but I’d be hard-pressed to pick one over the other.”

What makes it a great rivalry?

MT: “I think it’s the people involved. That’s a dynamic group over there, led by some strong-willed people. I believe that we have the same here, and I think it creates for an interesting matchup.”

Is the war of words between players good or bad for the game?

MT: “I think more than anything, people pay attention to the war of words and they miss the game. The people that you’re talking about [Bart Scott and Hines Ward] play the game with great passion, they play it the way it’s supposed to be played, and they’re great competitors. I tend to focus on that, whether I’m talking about Hines or Bart Scott, or whoever else is involved in it. I mean, these guys play, and they play with great emotion, and I appreciate that element of it.”

What did you think about you offensive line play against the Eagles last week?

MT: “I think to say anything other than the fact that Philly did a nice job would be a discredit to them. That needs to be said first, but from our standpoint there were a lot of things we could have done better, both players and coaches, and we acknowledge that. We’re about the business of making those corrections this week, and all we can do is swallow it whole and prepare for our next opportunity to perform, which is Monday night.”

WR Hines Ward

Do you remember the threat he received from Bart Scott last season?

Hines Ward: “Yeah, he threatened to kill me after the game. I got a big laugh out of it.”

Are you excited to see Scott in Monday’s game?

HW: “Yeah, I’m looking forward to it. He’s a great ballplayer, and any time you get competitive, it’s always great to go out there and compete. I’ll go out there and smile at him a couple of times on the field.”

Is it hard to not take what Scott says personally?

HW: “No, not really. I mean, out on the field you’re going to have a war of words. Guys are going to talk about your mother, talk about anything to try to get up under your skin. We played with one of the best of them in the league – Joey Porter. It’s just words: ‘Words don’t hurt me,’ or whatever. I’m pretty sure if I see Bart out in the street, outside of football, I’m pretty sure he’s not going to kill me.”

Do you have any special message for Scott?

HW: “Tell him I said, ‘Hello.’”

How difficult is it for a quarterback to make his first road start at Heinz Field?

HW: “It’s going to be very difficult. Between the two teams, we’re similar in many ways. We try to run the ball, we have great defense, Baltimore has a great defense [and] special teams is about the same. The difference is in the quarterback play. Ben [Roethlisberger] has proven that he’s been a winner, and the young quarterback in Baltimore [Joe Flacco], he’s 2-0 right now. So, this is going to be his first challenge coming into hostile territory on primetime. I’m pretty sure, defensively, we’re going to try to contain him, and try to put it in his hands to try to win the ball game. We’ve just got to go out there and execute. If we go out there and execute, and not turn the ball over, then it’s going to be a great game to watch.”

I thought the Hines Ward interview was pretty funny! I still think that when Tomlin talks, he sometimes sounds like a politician!

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2008/09/Questioning_the_Enemy-_Steelers.aspx

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Let me ask you guys and gals a question. Do you feel the Steelers/Ravens rivalry is a bigger and better one than your rivalry with Cleveland? We have a pretty good one with Cleveland ourselves (and I know Browns fans feel more passionately about it than we do), but I think Steelers/Ravens is always a slugfest.

Back in the day, Colts/Steelers was a good match-up, although we could never beat you guys in the playoffs in the 70's. Then again, who could?

fansince'76
09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Let me ask you guys and gals a question. Do you feel the Steelers/Ravens rivalry is a bigger and better one than your rivalry with Cleveland? We have a pretty good one with Cleveland ourselves (and I know Browns fans feel more passionately about it than we do), but I think Steelers/Ravens is always a slugfest.

Over the last few years, yes. It's not much of a rivalry when one team is beaten by the other 10 straight times and 16 out of the last 17, and 17 out of 20 since the Browns rejoined the league in '99. The Steelers/Ravens rivalry has been much more competitive as of late. Currently, the Steelers are 9-8 against Baltimore since 2000, and it's an even 8-8 not counting the 2001 Divisional playoff game.

Dizzle43
09-25-2008, 12:53 PM
The Browns are our biggest rival but the Ravens are the better game. I hate the Patriots the most though. :wink02:

Penn St Steelers
09-25-2008, 01:13 PM

personally working in Bmore as I do it seems you Raven fans have rivalries with everyone and for some reason....I mean you all hate the Redskins cause you feel slated by Jack Kent Cooke (rest his soul)......then you have a rivalry with us (more so out of jealousy imo) and of course with Cleveland seeing how you stole their team from them....oh and the Colts as well, Irsay is public enemy #1 in Bmore seeing how he moved the Colts (for greener pastures should I say).....

so as far as a rivalry goes from a team angle, sure our games of late have been very entertaining to say the least, but I still view our 2 games with Cleveland being bigger.......but from a fans standpoint (at least mine) it's the Ravens...simply because of their fanbase

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
personally working in Bmore as I do it seems you Raven fans have rivalries with everyone and for some reason....I mean you all hate the Redskins cause you feel slated by Jack Kent Cooke (rest his soul)......then you have a rivalry with us (more so out of jealousy imo) and of course with Cleveland seeing how you stole their team from them....oh and the Colts as well, Irsay is public enemy #1 in Bmore seeing how he moved the Colts (for greener pastures should I say).....

so as far as a rivalry goes, sure our games of late have been very entertaining to say the least, but I still view our 2 games with Cleveland being bigger.......

Man, I have hated the Skins since way before Jack Kent Cooke became the sole woner. The Colts rookies played the Redskins rookies every summer in a charity game that my dad used to take my brother and I too in the 60's, and even then we hated the Skins. It's a Washington, DC/Baltimore thing more than it is the teams themselves.

Hmmm...maybe I should have read your post a little closer. We "stole" Cleveland's team, but Irsay just left for greener pastures. Ok, I get ya.

markh
09-25-2008, 01:35 PM

so as far as a rivalry goes, sure our games of late have been very entertaining to say the least, but I still view our 2 games with Cleveland being bigger.......

Actually I hate every team that isn't the Ravens.

Penn St Steelers
09-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Hmmm...maybe I should have read your post a little closer. We "stole" Cleveland's team, but Irsay just left for greener pastures. Ok, I get ya.

you don't think for a instant that Glendening (your then Governor) wasn't lobbying old Art and visiting him more times then not before the announcement came.....oh your 1 of those who thought/believe that old Art just called Glendening and said.....hey I want to move to Baltimore.......you guys paid that fools debts off and some in his moving to Bmore....so yes, you stole their team

oh and by the way, even if you didn't steal them away, Irsay did nothing different then ole Art did, but yet Indy stole the Colts away from Bmore....(after all isn't that the way you all see it?)

Buzz05
09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Since I live in Baltimore maybe I can chime in on this little who stole who's what debate. From what I understand Irsay was a tool, anyway you look at it. He did the cowards thing by leaving in the middle of the night. I wouldn't necessarily blame Baltimore for getting the old Browns but I would blame Art and the NFL. Art was going backrupt in Cleveland and the stadium was in shambles. Cleveland build the Indians and Cavs new arenas and the Rock n Roll HOF but left the Browns to rot in their shell of a stadium. Art basically needed the money and Baltimore was hungry for a team to call their own again. Simple supply and demand.

The NFL is also to blame because many here feel they were robbed of an expansion team that ultimately became the Jags. Older Ravens fans have told me that everything was set in stone for that team to come to Baltimore but was sent to Jacksonville at the 11th hour for reasons unknown. Some claim money changed hands in the deal. What really happened I don't know or really care. But in hindsight Jacksonville was probably the worse of the two decisions. Jacksonville always has trouble selling out their games while Baltimore sells out all the time.

So there you have it.

Penn St Steelers
09-25-2008, 03:57 PM
growing up in Pasadena and just moving here to Hanover just 5 yrs ago I too know a awful lot about the Colts......

lets not deny here that the Colts (yes they were horrible the last several yrs in Bmore) but their crowds were what you see now in Camden Yards (hardly any)...Irsay on numerous attempts asked for a new stadium...(Memorial Stadium was hugely outdated even in the early 80's for Football) but never nothing (my belief is Sheaffer didn't think for a moment that he would move the team so why bother in getting a new stadium)....

not until he left in the middle of the night did William Donald Sheaffer (spelling) attempt to do anything........sure Irsay even on TV denied he was moving the team...so sure he was a tool....but nothing he did was anything that Modell didn't do either.........but you know what...I actually could care less about the Colts, Ravens etc...........

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Since I live in Baltimore maybe I can chime in on this little who stole who's what debate. From what I understand Irsay was a tool, anyway you look at it. He did the cowards thing by leaving in the middle of the night. I wouldn't necessarily blame Baltimore for getting the old Browns but I would blame Art and the NFL. Art was going backrupt in Cleveland and the stadium was in shambles. Cleveland build the Indians and Cavs new arenas and the Rock n Roll HOF but left the Browns to rot in their shell of a stadium. Art basically needed the money and Baltimore was hungry for a team to call their own again. Simple supply and demand.

The NFL is also to blame because many here feel they were robbed of an expansion team that ultimately became the Jags. Older Ravens fans have told me that everything was set in stone for that team to come to Baltimore but was sent to Jacksonville at the 11th hour for reasons unknown. Some claim money changed hands in the deal. What really happened I don't know or really care. But in hindsight Jacksonville was probably the worse of the two decisions. Jacksonville always has trouble selling out their games while Baltimore sells out all the time.

So there you have it.

Thank you.

Two expansion teams were to be awarded; one to a new city and another to a city who recently lost their franchise, which at that time was St. Louis and Baltimore. On the day the franchises were to be awarded, the first went to Carolina and the second went to......nobody. It was put on hold and then lo and behold! Jacksonville gets the franchise! So both St. Louis and Baltimore got stiffed by Taglibue, who told us to take our money (which was the best financial package by far between the four cities) and to "go build a museum." Baltimore was never going to get a franchise under Taglibue's regime, who was taking care of ol' JKC, who wanted no part of another franchise that would be 35 miles away from RFK Stadium in DC. The following year, the LA Rams relocated to St. Louis.

For another year we languished without an NFL team until Cleveland's woes made Art Modell look elsewhere. Now, after watching the Colts, the Raiders, the Rams and the Cardinals leave "for greener pastures", don't you think your average Clevelander would have seen the writing on the wall and would have backed financial deals to fix or replace the Mistake on the Lake and keep their beloved Browns in Cleveland? No, they "assumed" that Art would never leave. Which was a big mistake, as Baltimore learned their lesson and learned it well. The only way they were ever getting another franchise was if one moved there.

And when they did? OMG, what pissing and moaning! Funny, I never heard too many Clevelanders decry the Colts moving to Indy, or the Cardinals moving to Arizona. I didn't even hear too many sports announcers talk too much about that, other than "that's a shame.....now, next up..." But boy, did Baltimore get excoriated for "stealing" Cleveland. I remember that old fat ass Dan Dierdorf hoping that the Ravens would "never win a game in their history." And of course, the NFL made Modell leave the Browns name and history in Cleveland (a move I greatly supported) and made damned sure they got awarded another franchise post-haste.

Would I have preferred an expansion franchise? Yes, one with no "old" history and/or baggage. But if I waited for that (I'm 48), I would have been bouncing great-grandchildren on my knee and would still have been waiting for the NFL to return to Baltimore.

Sorry for the rant and thread hijack, but Penn St. Steelers, if you're going to spout history, get it right.

Now, back to football.......

HometownGal
09-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Let me ask you guys and gals a question. Do you feel the Steelers/Ravens rivalry is a bigger and better one than your rivalry with Cleveland?

Not overall, but when Steve McNair was your QB, YES. McNair pretty much had our number whether it was in Tennessee or in Baltimore. Before him and after him, we saw the likes of Elvis Grbac, old man Vinny (though he did go to the Pro Bowl as a Rat), Scott Campbell, Trent Dilfer, Kyle "But, but, but Billick really loves me" Boller, and various other rejects the Rats picked up off of the NFL sale rack. Your D has had some bright spots over the years, but never really consistently imho, even with the additions of Goonboy McAllister, Ed Reed and Bart Scott. So overall, no - I don't consider the Steelers/Ravens rivalry bigger and better than our rivalry with the Clowns. The history and dislike between the Steelers and Browns has spanned decades, so I consider that more of a true rivalry.

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Not overall, but when Steve McNair was your QB, YES. McNair pretty much had our number whether it was in Tennessee or in Baltimore. Before him and after him, we saw the likes of Elvis Grbac, old man Vinny (though he did go to the Pro Bowl as a Rat), Scott Campbell, Trent Dilfer, Kyle "But, but, but Billick really loves me" Boller, and various other rejects the Rats picked up off of the NFL sale rack. Your D has had some bright spots over the years, but never really consistently imho, even with the additions of Goonboy McAllister, Ed Reed and Bart Scott. So overall, no - I don't consider the Steelers/Ravens rivalry bigger and better than our rivalry with the Clowns. The history and dislike between the Steelers and Browns has spanned decades, so I consider that more of a true rivalry.

That's cool. I know a lot of people in the Pittsburgh area (my company used to be big it PIT), but I never really got that feel from them that there was an intense rivalry. Since the Ravens history only stretches back to 1996 and with the Browns since 1999 (during which most of the time they really sucked, as did Cincy), I guess it makes sense that we began a rivalry with the only other consistently good team in the division. Although before divisions were changed, the Ravens had some great battles with both the Jags and the Titans.

Of course, the Steelers and (the old) Browns had a long-standing rivalry, especially going back to the old days of the 50's and 60's when Cleveland had some really awesome teams.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Right now, I would say Steelers-Ravens is the most competitive of the rivalries in the division, especially more-so than the Browns. A hammer and a nail do not have a rivalry.

And as for the Cleveland to Baltimore move:

Art Modell was offered a new stadium in the Gateway Project and afterwards, but he refused to accept what was offered. Same deals as the Indians and the Cavs.

Truth is, Modell never liked owning a team in Cleveland. He blames poor attendance for his reasons to move to Baltimore when Cleveland Munincipal Stadium was sold out every game.

And for the Ravens fans that remember Isray moving the Colts to Indianapolis in the middle of the night, to be perfectly fine with basicly the same thing happening to Cleveland for Baltimore to get a team...well that's just pure hypocrisy in my honest opinion.

It's funny to watch Cleveland and Baltimore fans argue over it, because so many Baltimore fans tell the Browns fans that if they would have supported their team the move would have never happened. The truth is, the second Modell showed the slightest interest in moving the mayor of Baltimore contacted Modell and told him Baltimore would love to have him. At that moment, nothing Cleveland offered him was going to make him stay because he never wanted to be in Cleveland to begin with.

IMHO, Modell should have been forced to sell Cleveland to someone (Al Lerner) and wait three years to get an expansion team in Baltimore.

Dino 6 Rings
09-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Back in the day, Colts/Steelers was a good match-up, although we could never beat you guys in the playoffs in the 70's. Then again, who could?

Colts have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs. FYI.

I think the Ravens / Steelers rivalry grew strong when the Ravens had a great year and won it all with very tough defense and a great running attack. That is the type of game plan that the Steelers had thrived off, so it became like fighting a twin brother (although we have the hotter wife, 5 trophies) so that is what this rivalry is. The hits are bigger, the mouths are louder and the games are tougher.

For the Record, I picked the Ravens to finish 2nd in the AFC north this year, but that was mostly to piss off bengals and browns fans in the offseason.

We'll see how this game goes, Its a big game for us, 3-1 is a ton better than 2-2. 2-1 doesn't look so bad for you guys.

Penn St Steelers
09-25-2008, 04:55 PM
And as for the Cleveland to Baltimore move:

Art Modell was offered a new stadium in the Gateway Project and afterwards, but he refused to accept what was offered. Same deals as the Indians and the Cavs.

Truth is, Modell never liked owning a team in Cleveland. He blames poor attendance for his reasons to move to Baltimore when Cleveland Munincipal Stadium was sold out every game.

And for the Ravens fans that remember Isray moving the Colts to Indianapolis in the middle of the night, to be perfectly fine with basicly the same thing happening to Cleveland for Baltimore to get a team...well that's just pure hypocrisy in my honest opinion.

It's funny to watch Cleveland and Baltimore fans argue over it, because so many Baltimore fans tell the Browns fans that if they would have supported their team the move would have never happened. The truth is, the second Modell showed the slightest interest in moving the mayor of Baltimore contacted Modell and told him Baltimore would love to have him. At that moment, nothing Cleveland offered him was going to make him stay because he never wanted to be in Cleveland to begin with.

IMHO, Modell should have been forced to sell Cleveland to someone (Al Lerner) and wait three years to get an expansion team in Baltimore.

exactly, Bmore fans (and I have um in my family) turn the blind eye when it comes to this, when they did the exact same thing......simply denial on their part.......of all the teams in the NFL I hate the Ravens sooooooo much....it gets personal with me....simply because of their fan base......and not so much the team

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-25-2008, 04:57 PM
As Ed Bouchette said in the PG last year a few days after this hit:

"Isn't this the same Bart Scott who exhilarated in the hit he put on Ben Roethlisberger last season when he had a free shot? That was OK, fly in unblocked and smack into a standing target who cannot see you? But get bowled over by a wide receiver, and it's not so much fun, eh, Bart?"

LOL! I get a kick out of that everytime.

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 04:59 PM
exactly, Bmore fans (and I have um in my family) turn the blind eye when it comes to this, when they did the exact same thing......simply denial on their part.......of all the teams in the NFL I hate the Ravens sooooooo much....it gets personal with me....simply because of their fan base......and not so much the team

Like I said, we did it because we had no other choice. Tell me I'm wrong.

If the Steelers left for Memphis, see how much you would like that. Don't answer, I know the answer to that, too.

Dino 6 Rings
09-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Like I said, we did it because we had no other choice. Tell me I'm wrong.

If the Steelers left for Memphis, see how much you would like that. Don't answer, I know the answer to that, too.

Blasphemy!

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Colts have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs. FYI.
I think the Ravens / Steelers rivalry grew strong when the Ravens had a great year and won it all with very tough defense and a great running attack. That is the type of game plan that the Steelers had thrived off, so it became like fighting a twin brother (although we have the hotter wife, 5 trophies) so that is what this rivalry is. The hits are bigger, the mouths are louder and the games are tougher.

For the Record, I picked the Ravens to finish 2nd in the AFC north this year, but that was mostly to piss off bengals and browns fans in the offseason.

We'll see how this game goes, Its a big game for us, 3-1 is a ton better than 2-2. 2-1 doesn't look so bad for you guys.

You are probably right. I watched so many of those games in the 70's when the Baltimore Colts were really good with guys like Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, the Sack Pack, etc. But the Steelers were not good......they were unbeatable.

Being 14-15 years old and watching your team get beat year after year in the playoffs REALLY SUCKED! :laughing:

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Blasphemy!

Tell me about it. Yinzes would probably march in the streets and kill people!

Penn St Steelers
09-25-2008, 05:09 PM
As Ed Bouchette said in the PG last year a few days after this hit:

"Isn't this the same Bart Scott who exhilarated in the hit he put on Ben Roethlisberger last season when he had a free shot? That was OK, fly in unblocked and smack into a standing target who cannot see you? But get bowled over by a wide receiver, and it's not so much fun, eh, Bart?"

LOL! I get a kick out of that everytime.

great point, his pride was injured and he knows nothing more then to vent this way....he's so rattled he'll be out of his game (which right now isn't much) by Pre-Game warm-ups.....Hines was successful again....add to his list now Scott along with C-Mac

RoethlisBURGHer
09-25-2008, 06:18 PM
You are probably right. I watched so many of those games in the 70's when the Baltimore Colts were really good with guys like Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, the Sack Pack, etc. But the Steelers were not good......they were unbeatable.

Being 14-15 years old and watching your team get beat year after year in the playoffs REALLY SUCKED! :laughing:

Now you know how I felt with the Kordell Stewart era!

Crow-Magnon
09-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Now you know how I felt with the Kordell Stewart era!

I watched plenty of Steeler games during the Kordell era. I don't think it compares, because at that time (70's) the Baltimore Colts could have beat anyone in the AFC or NFC....except the Steelers. It was like knowing at Week 1 you'd make it to the first playoff game, but that would be it.

You guys had it made back then.

ayyfour
09-25-2008, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWX2sRAA1tc
This makes me very excited for monday night.. lets see some more of this:tt:

Davison_K
09-25-2008, 10:18 PM
The Browns are our biggest rival but the Ravens are the better game. I hate the Patriots the most though. :wink02:

I have to agree, but living where I do (central PA) I hate the Ravens more than any other team... It is completely ridiculous that half the time the game I see is the Ravens game rather than the Steelers game.

hizmi
09-26-2008, 12:15 AM
I really really really hate the ravens

Galax Steeler
09-26-2008, 03:33 AM
I think the clowns is our biggest rivalry but the Ratbird games are big ones to.

Penn St Steelers
09-26-2008, 06:46 AM
I have to agree, but living where I do (central PA) I hate the Ravens more than any other team... It is completely ridiculous that half the time the game I see is the Ravens game rather than the Steelers game.

it used to be for me as well, I live in Hanover 7miles over the MD line, but 2 yrs ago we got Dish Network and now the Steelers and Eagles (FOX) are the 2 teams I get, (NO MORE RAVENS games)........:tt:

stlrtruck
09-26-2008, 08:23 AM

So there you have it.

Living in the B-more area during this time, I'm gonna chime in on this too:

1) The colts fans eventually stopped coming to the stadium and the team was supported in their own home stadium. They were more like the bucs of old. If the stadium was sold it, it was because the fans of the opposing team had bought up all the tickets. So Irsay moved the team where they would be supported (supposedly).

2) When the towns were in for the bidding, it was rumored that b-more had the best package on the table at the initial deadline that got pushed back so that Carolina and Jacksonville could solidify their packages. Even then, rumor has it that B-more still had the best package on the next deadline, but only slightly ahead of Carolina and well ahead of Jacksonville. IF memory serves me correctly, the commissioner once again pushed the deadline back. Finally at the third and final deadline, Carolina's package was tops and jacksonville and baltimore were closer. Baltimore still had the better package and rumor became that Tagliabue hated baltimore and therefore gave the franchise to Jacksonville. Either way, b-more got screwed hon.

3) The browns were completely different. They sold out every game. The stadium was packed to the top every home game - 98% browns fans. Art Modell didn't know how to budget his team and begin making outrageous contracts for players that didn't deserve and he financially destroyed the team. So instead of being held accountable for his own financial inadequacies he got a "free move" card from the commissioner after the commish screwed b-more out of the expansion team.

Crow-Magnon
09-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Living in the B-more area during this time, I'm gonna chime in on this too:

1) The colts fans eventually stopped coming to the stadium and the team was supported in their own home stadium. They were more like the bucs of old. If the stadium was sold it, it was because the fans of the opposing team had bought up all the tickets. So Irsay moved the team where they would be supported (supposedly).

2) When the towns were in for the bidding, it was rumored that b-more had the best package on the table at the initial deadline that got pushed back so that Carolina and Jacksonville could solidify their packages. Even then, rumor has it that B-more still had the best package on the next deadline, but only slightly ahead of Carolina and well ahead of Jacksonville. IF memory serves me correctly, the commissioner once again pushed the deadline back. Finally at the third and final deadline, Carolina's package was tops and jacksonville and baltimore were closer. Baltimore still had the better package and rumor became that Tagliabue hated baltimore and therefore gave the franchise to Jacksonville. Either way, b-more got screwed hon.

3) The browns were completely different. They sold out every game. The stadium was packed to the top every home game - 98% browns fans. Art Modell didn't know how to budget his team and begin making outrageous contracts for players that didn't deserve and he financially destroyed the team. So instead of being held accountable for his own financial inadequacies he got a "free move" card from the commissioner after the commish screwed b-more out of the expansion team.

There is some truth to that, but don't forget that while Carrol Rosebloom owned the team, the Colts sold out every game. Irsay and Rosenbloom traded franchises, and Irsay immedately started dooming it with ridiculous trades, calling in plays from the owner's box while drunk, etc.