PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks

steel9guy
09-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I just wandered what everyone else thinks about Max Starks, I sometimes wish he was starting over Willie Colon at Right Tackle. I just think he outplays willie and he was starter on the superbowl team.

MasterOfPuppets
09-25-2008, 11:40 PM
IF STARKS was starting, we'd be bitching and moaning about how much he sucks,instead of colon.... 6 one way, half a dozen the other....:popcorn:

Preacher
09-25-2008, 11:47 PM
:chuckle:

Well, at least Starks provides more meat on for the sacrifice!!

Steelman16
09-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Does it really matter who starts at RT? :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
09-26-2008, 04:42 AM
Does it really matter who starts at RT? :chuckle:

I don't think so either.

CanadianSteel
09-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Not sure Starks could do any worse..... Also many people have the opinon that Colon would be better suited as a Gaurd..... just sayin....

LVSteelersfan
09-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Put Starks in. I think Colon is a total waste of time. At least make the 6 million dollar man earn his paycheck. While they are at it, put Stapleton in and get rid of Simmons. Another waste of flesh on our Oline.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-26-2008, 04:47 PM
I say pull everyone off the line that is currently a starter. Put in all the 2nd stringers..
Tell them if they do good......They are the new starters......Let them go make a name for themselves...Could it be any worse?

GBMelBlount
09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Put Starks in....At least make the 6 million dollar man earn his paycheck.

Ya, but wouldn't that mean we'd have to start him for the next 6 years?

RoethlisBURGHer
09-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Ya, but wouldn't that mean we'd have to start him for the next 6 years?

No, at the end of this year he would be a free agent and could walk away and sign with any team he wanted to.

Give It To Abercrombie
09-26-2008, 05:31 PM
No, at the end of this year he would be a free agent and could walk away and sign with any team he wanted to.

sigh

GBMelBlount
09-26-2008, 05:35 PM

lol RoethlisBURGHER. My point was simply that it could take Starks six years to earn the 6 million he is receiving this year. :wink02:

steelwall
09-26-2008, 07:48 PM
What the heck is Starks problem anyway? The man is huge, he should be pancakeing guys all over the place. I dont get it?

Pidots55
09-26-2008, 09:30 PM
i prefer Starks over Colon at RT. At least Starks is a good run blocker, looked impressive in the end of last season and was the starter in the SB team

NV STEELERS 723
09-26-2008, 10:09 PM
I think the knock on Starks is that he's slow...and that don't help w/ the blitz...correct me if I'm wrong SF.

But really can he do any worse than Colon?

Havik
09-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Starks actually played well at LT while Smith was injured. I'd give him another chance at RT, it really doesn't get much worse than Willie Colon.

ChronoCross
09-27-2008, 04:50 AM
Actually Starks should be over LT over Smith.

steelpride12
09-27-2008, 12:19 PM
IF STARKS was starting, we'd be bitching and moaning about how much he sucks,instead of colon.... 6 one way, half a dozen the other....:popcorn:
:thumbsup: No matter what everyone will be complaining about the offensive line and Starks would just be another person to blame even if he does outplay Colon.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-27-2008, 08:38 PM
i prefer Starks over Colon at RT. At least Starks is a good run blocker, looked impressive in the end of last season and was the starter in the SB team

Actually, Colon is a better run blocker and more athletic than Starks. The advantage that Starks has in pass protection is his size and long arms. Colon has shorter arms that allow defenders to get their hands on him and rip by.

Its basically a wash. Colon is smaller, but more active and battles his guy hard. Starks is bigger, longer arms, but seems to lack the intensity you would like to see.

NV STEELERS 723
09-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Actually, Colon is a better run blocker and more athletic than Starks. The advantage that Starks has in pass protection is his size and long arms. Colon has shorter arms that allow defenders to get their hands on him and rip by.

Its basically a wash. Colon is smaller, but more active and battles his guy hard. Starks is bigger, longer arms, but seems to lack the intensity you would like to see.

If Starks is a better pass blocker then I woulde take that , because we can always run the opposite side of him. With Starks in there maybe Ben won't get treated like a rag doll, and will have some time to pass..we have to start limiting the sacks on Ben or he won't finish this season, much less a long career w/ us.

steelwall
09-27-2008, 09:44 PM
I say let him play at least a half or even 1 quarter. Giving up 8 sacks is ridiculous, hell give the guy a shot to earn the money we're giving him. If he blows, then yank him.

Northside Jonny
09-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Actually Starks should be over LT over Smith.

I couldn't agree more with your comment Marvel hasn't done anything in the last 3 seasons. All he's done is consistantly get burned and pancaked on the left side even when he had faneca to his right. Lets get Max in there and start giving this team of great playmakers some time! :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2008, 10:31 AM
If Starks is a better pass blocker then I woulde take that , because we can always run the opposite side of him. With Starks in there maybe Ben won't get treated like a rag doll, and will have some time to pass..we have to start limiting the sacks on Ben or he won't finish this season, much less a long career w/ us.

Problem is that Starks might not be a better pass blocker. He has longer arms to keep guys away initially, but with his slow feet, they ususally run around him.

I seem to remember both Starks and Colon having problems with speed rushers like Terrel Suggs. If somehow Starks could play with the quickness and intensity of Colon.....he would be an all pro. Instead, it looks like they are both just mediocre RT's.

Will probably see Tony Hills competing for RT spot next season. He has the athleticism and size, but just not strong enough physically and technically yet.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I couldn't agree more with your comment Marvel hasn't done anything in the last 3 seasons. All he's done is consistantly get burned and pancaked on the left side even when he had faneca to his right. Lets get Max in there and start giving this team of great playmakers some time! :thumbsup:

I couldnt disagree more! 3 seasons ago, Marvel Smith collected a Super Bowl Ring and a trip to the Pro Bowl in Hawaii for his play.

I agree he looked bad last season because of his back injury. Max Starks is a matador.