PDA

View Full Version : Give an honest opinion

SteelerFanInATL
11-29-2005, 08:17 PM
With Plex gone, has that effected our offense? He was able to give big plays down field. Maybe Ben knew what he was doing when he was pleading for him to stay. What do you think. I think we need to air it out more like Plex wanted.

rowedf
11-29-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't think its that man. I'm really dissapointed in our play calls when talking about "going down field". It's not even an option anymore. No wonder why teams are able to stop our run?? It really is starting to annoy me, you don't have to have burners or unbelievable WR's to ATTEMPT deep balls......I'd be happy with them throwing the damn ball down field for incompletions than not trying at all, at least that would get the DB's thinking "well....they might try it again". Right now, why in the hell would any D plan for us to stretch the field? Super dissapointing, especially in the last 3-4 games.

Stlrs4Life
11-29-2005, 08:24 PM
I agree that we need a fast deep threat, but not necessarily Plexico.

tony hipchest
11-29-2005, 08:24 PM
it wouldve been good to been able to keep a content plexico. he wasnt let go for lack of talent and upside. he was just to expensive. he wasnt worth mortgaging the future for though.

Koopa
11-29-2005, 08:58 PM
hell yeah it has effected us big time.............we really miss him, ppl talk shit cause he falls right away and drops passes (i'm one of them ppl when it comes to talkin about his flaws) but at least he opened things up cause the threat was always there, ward is great but he don't scare no one down field, and ARE don't scare no one cause he's 3 feet tall and wilson well he sucks. we really need a big deep threat next year if we want to continue to contend

steelcityjameser
11-29-2005, 09:33 PM
maybe his part in our offense was underrated. i will say that. i will also say he dropped too many balls and was scared to take hits over the middle. i don't think we have been able to throw deep the past few games because we have had two different qb's that were rusty and mediocre in their prime. we must take shots downfield, and it is fun for the fans to see the big play, but we are having problems running the ball which puts a safety in the box and eliminates the cover 2. steelers offense=run to set up pass. no run, no pass.

24seven
11-29-2005, 10:15 PM
The receivers are fine.. I can't believe you say Cedric Wilson sucks Koopa.. Everytime a pass comes his way he catches it.. Just so happens he's only had like 5 balls thrown his way all season!! I understand why he's complaining about not getting the ball.. Ward gets damn near every look from all 3 qb's.. I don't think ARE had 1 pass go his way last night either.. Not that there were to many passes to begin with but the Steelers need to learn how to block before we can even open up the passing game.. Damn Essex and Simmons need to figure out a snap count and who to block or were toast against the Cardinals!! Were playing the worst football i've ever seen the Steelers play and there's been some pretty shitty years.. I've never been more frustrated watching them than the last 2 games.. It's been pathetic.. I'm still mostly pissed at Cower though for being the biggest dumbass in coaching.. GET A CLUE!!!!!! When the defense is on the back before the ball is even in the air it's called PREDICTABLE!!!!! They know were runnin screen cause it hasn't worked the last 50 times we might as well try it again!!!!It's bound to work eventually.. NOT!!!!!!! Man i don't think i can take another week like these 2 or I'm gonna have to take a liking to Basketball quick.....

stand undefeated
11-29-2005, 10:47 PM
I think it effected our offense a little but not THAT MUCH to get squashed like we did Monday night.

BigSteelThrill
11-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Nah, the fact that Kendall Simmons couldnt block a 3rd grader is the biggest problem.
Considering Hartings is old and has issues and could use a little help now and again and that Starks will be great "in time" but could use some assistance every so often. But sandwiched in between is a piece of shit named Kendall Simmons. It affects absolutely every offensive player on this team.

So Burress? He's a good player who is being paid about twice the amount he should be. Thus you cannot sign him for that kind of cash. It has a small affect. But Simmons is a HUGE stinking problem.

Atlanta Dan
11-29-2005, 11:08 PM
I agree we miss Plax but Steelers could not afford to keep both Ward and him - that is life under the salary cap unless you want to place all your chips on one more season to win it all and then go down like the Titans and Ravens did.

The bigger issue is the OL reverting to 2003 incompetence. Smith is hurt (being bullrushed by Freeney, whom he outweighs by 60 pounds, was embarassing); Hartings is in his last year and knows it/shows it; and, as the P-G stated last week, Simmons has been blowing plays repeatedly, which culminated in the multiple false starts last night.

Bad OL means no running game means Ben runs for his life.

Koopa
11-29-2005, 11:24 PM
The receivers are fine.. I can't believe you say Cedric Wilson sucks Koopa.. Everytime a pass comes his way he catches it.. Just so happens he's only had like 5 balls thrown his way all season!! I understand why he's complaining about not getting the ball.. Ward gets damn near every look from all 3 qb's.. I don't think ARE had 1 pass go his way last night either.. Not that there were to many passes to begin with but the Steelers need to learn how to block before we can even open up the passing game.. Damn Essex and Simmons need to figure out a snap count and who to block or were toast against the Cardinals!! Were playing the worst football i've ever seen the Steelers play and there's been some pretty shitty years.. I've never been more frustrated watching them than the last 2 games.. It's been pathetic.. I'm still mostly pissed at Cower though for being the biggest dumbass in coaching.. GET A CLUE!!!!!! When the defense is on the back before the ball is even in the air it's called PREDICTABLE!!!!! They know were runnin screen cause it hasn't worked the last 50 times we might as well try it again!!!!It's bound to work eventually.. NOT!!!!!!! Man i don't think i can take another week like these 2 or I'm gonna have to take a liking to Basketball quick.....

i'm saying he sucks cause he *****ed to the media so now i don't like him.........and he basically does what plax does catch and fall

Prosdo
11-29-2005, 11:34 PM
I miss what Plax brought to the offense. Not really him, but having that tall fast receiver that was a deep threat. I think this offseason we need to get that deep threat back whether through FA or the draft.

pitt
11-30-2005, 12:15 AM
I thought that letting Plaxico go was a big mistake then and I still think it was one now.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Plax was an underachiever, there's no 2 ways about it. If he was here, we wouldnt be any better off than we are now... our QB's are running for their lives and when that happens it doesnt matter who is out there to catch the ball because its not getting there in the first place.

Koopa
11-30-2005, 12:24 AM
but when ben runs he's better and at least he would have a big target to throw to.......... damn it we need to use miller a shitload more

StillerPaul
11-30-2005, 12:40 AM
It's not so much the players as it is the system IMO. We seem hellbent to run it on 95% of our first downs and 70% of our second downs. If that doesn't spell predictable, i dunno what does.

ROYND1
11-30-2005, 04:57 AM
Hey guys I'm new to posting on here but been following Steelersfever for some time!Anyhow I agree completely Simmons has sucked a BIG ONE this year ,he's just not the same since the diabetes.That and his FAT ASS false starting every week wether we're home or away!!!As for a SPEED reciever ,we have one his name is Quincy Morgan!!!!Why sign him if you're not gonna use him???He has legit speed in fact that's his STRONG point and he has GOOD SIZE!!!Atleast 6'1" and so what if he drops the occassional ball didn't Plax do that???If you run him on go routes teams HAVE to respect him and shift a safety over to help cover him,which would open up the running game and the underneath routes for Ward!!I have been a big Cowher supporter over the years (even after I flew from sunny Florida to freeze my ASS off at that crappy championship game last year!)but his play calling and obviously getting OUT COACHED the last few weeks are OLD!!!We have 4 count em 4 WR's that are or were starters before,plus a STUD TE and a STUD QB and he acts like we can only use our recievers for GIMMICK plays or 4 yard passes!!!! One more thing if you are a POWER RUNNING TEAM use a POWER RUNNING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nah, the fact that Kendall Simmons couldnt block a 3rd grader is the biggest problem.
Considering Hartings is old and has issues and could use a little help now and again and that Starks will be great "in time" but could use some assistance every so often. But sandwiched in between is a piece of shit named Kendall Simmons. It affects absolutely every offensive player on this team.

So Burress? He's a good player who is being paid about twice the amount he should be. Thus you cannot sign him for that kind of cash. It has a small affect. But Simmons is a HUGE stinking problem.

steeler47
11-30-2005, 07:17 AM
All I know is that Wilson for Plax......it dosent add up.

I dont think wilson is an NFL reciever.I like Morgan 10 times better.

I miss Plax alot.I knew it was a bad move then and know everyone knows it was.

Steel Fury
11-30-2005, 11:04 AM
I do not miss plax. Good riddance. I know what he brought but we have receivers that can run down field, we juist don't do it

jtdapit
11-30-2005, 11:40 AM
everyone is saying that plex was to expensive. not true! i was at the new england playoff game and after he dropped that td pass at the end he went to the press and said he will never play for the steelers again! i think if he wanted to stay, we would have found a way for him to stay!

SalukiSteelers
11-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Pittsburgh may have had to overpay to keep Plax, that's true. What is also true, I think, was that he and Ben had good chemistry together, especially when it came to plays down the field. Sure, 80 had his problems: going over the middle, barking to the print and broadcast media, and dropping some passes. But to tell you the truth, outside of the two guys in Indy, who doesn't drop passes or bark?

Plax was a big target who could go up and get the ball. He could run fades when Pittsburgh got close to the end zone, leaving the middle open for Ward and/or Miller. I didn't really like letting him go, last season, and this season hasn't changed my mind about the issue. Look at what Plax and Manning are doing in NY and tell me losing Plax didn't hurt.

If someone asked Ben, off the record, I'm pretty sure he would say that losing Plax has constricted the passing game. You know what, though? He's gone and isn't coming back so Pittsburgh needs to focus on the personnel they have and figure out a way to stretch the field with them.

Without a running game, and with the offensive line stinking it up, it doesn't really matter who the Steelers have on the outside. The offense runs well when they run the ball well and if they can't do that we could have Jerry Rice out there and would still struggle with deep balls.

Merseyside_Nighthawk#97
11-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Basically in my opinion, I think we just are just too predictable! I bet every D, under the sun knows how our O works. It's just that some D's do it better than others. I miss Mr Burress, his hight helped bring in a lot of passes in the redzone. But that doesn't matter now because we have Mr Miller who is another lanky bugger who can catch all those high balls. The O line played shite! Except for Essex, who for a rookie did quite well against Mr Freeny.

Don't worry lad's the Bengals haven't got a chance!

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2005, 12:56 PM
everyone is saying that plex was to expensive. not true! i was at the new england playoff game and after he dropped that td pass at the end he went to the press and said he will never play for the steelers again! i think if he wanted to stay, we would have found a way for him to stay!

Plax knew he was going when the Steelers did not even attempt to do a deal with him at the start of the last year of his contract - saying he was going after the NE playoff game was an attempt to claim staying or leaving was solely his call - not true.

Steelers knew they could not afford Plax & Ward and made a decision to go with Ward prior to start of 2004 season.

If a Steelers starter does not get a new deal at the beginning of the last year on a contract that player is usually gone. I hope that Steelers can keep Chris Hope, but I fear Hope is gone and believe Randle-El wants out of an offense where he returns punts but is an afterthought in the pasing game.

jtdapit
11-30-2005, 01:38 PM
thankyou for correcting me. but still it was wrong for him to say that, after a championship game

SteelerFanInCA
11-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I believe we should give Quincy Morgan a shot. He does seem to have that break away speed we think we may be lacking.

Steel - X
11-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Very correct SteelerFan! Quincy could be a great WR they just need to give him the cahnce and sit randle and Wilson.

bigredlite
11-30-2005, 02:53 PM
hey guys came over from cincybengals.com, good luck this week.
now I keep reading you guys want to start throwing the deep ball you have a couple of problems there, 1st-by the time there is someone down field bigben is usually pressured hard (except the few times ward got free), 2nd-are you sure you want to start airing it out against the team with a defense that has the most interceptions in the league, just thought I would throw that out there . good luck this week and no injuries (ben can't use anymore injuries)

ps--I am not here to talk smack this was just a friendly comment

tony hipchest
11-30-2005, 05:41 PM
youre right about the injuries. seems like its one thing after another with ben. carson had his problems last year. this should be a great rivalry for years to come and neither of these qb's need to miss time. but ben definitely needs to take his shots downfield. atleast a 50 yd interception is like a punt. worth the risk against an agressive backfield that likes to jump alot of routes

clevestinks
11-30-2005, 06:46 PM
We do need a deep threat, and Yes he would help right now, but I just don`t know if I would want him or someone else.

StillerPaul
11-30-2005, 11:14 PM
I'd be all for giving Quincy a shot. We have to have some kind of deep threat to take a safety out of the area at least so Ben can hit the underneath guy without him getting pummeled IMO.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2005, 11:18 PM
If you're gonna jump start an offense, and you have a WR you're not using but is big, fast, and capable, why not put him in as the 3rd and see how he does.. it certainly cant hurt !!!

and further more, if Willie isnt productive w/in the first couple series, yank him out !!!!