PDA

View Full Version : Props to Mewelde Moore

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-30-2008, 12:29 AM
He really stepped up today. Made some huge plays recieving.

Sharkissle29
09-30-2008, 12:30 AM
he's gotta get your game ball. coming up huge when it counted most

Preacher
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM
I was VERY impressed.

Dang. Who knows... maybe moves up a bit in the depth chart.

Steelman16
09-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Mewelde made all the plays out there. He had a huge hand in helping eke out this win.

CanadianSteel
09-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Actually he also ran the ball nicely as well as key receptions.
At least he moved forward and got positive yardage when he ran the ball.

pittsburghp8baller
09-30-2008, 01:38 AM
I was VERY impressed.

Dang. Who knows... maybe moves up a bit in the depth chart.

with Mendenhall out and Carey Davis (didnt hear what was wrong with him) possibly out, he isnt gonna have a choice but move up. in fact depending on if we pick any1 up he may start until Willie Parker gets back.

in anycase, this is the time we are REALLY gonna need our O-Line to step up, they did a better job (didnt need that much improvement to do better) in the second half.

We will see with another big game coming up against the Jaguars this sunday

LVSteelersfan
09-30-2008, 01:44 AM
I have been saying all along they need to use Mewelde Moore. Now that you all got a chance to see them use him, you see why he was such a valuable pickup. If we would have used him that way last week. the Eagles would have had to stop that blitzing and it may have been a totally different game. Lets hope Willie gets back soon, but Moore is more than capable of playing some good minutes.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-30-2008, 01:47 AM
I could never figure out how he never became the starter in Minnesota. I always thought he was a damn good RB. I am comfortable with him being the starter until Willie returns.

Mikee
09-30-2008, 01:48 AM
I was stoked to see him do his thing. I hope to see more of him this year!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 02:06 AM
I could never figure out how he never became the starter in Minnesota. I always thought he was a damn good RB. I am comfortable with him being the starter until Willie returns.

Something about Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor ahead of him in Minn.

Glad to see Me Mo get some love from the Steeler fans. All I have been reading from fans is that he sucks and hasnt done anything. He was a good pickup and showed his versatility and toughness tonight.

He got overmatched by the Ravens LB's on the blitz, but did you see him stick his nose in there???? "Courage is being afraid, but going anyway" ......Frank Ganz, legendary special teams coach.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Something about Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor ahead of him in Minn.

Glad to see Me Mo get some love from the Steeler fans. All I have been reading from fans is that he sucks and hasnt done anything. He was a good pickup and showed his versatility and toughness tonight.

He got overmatched by the Ravens LB's on the blitz, but did you see him stick his nose in there???? "Courage is being afraid, but going anyway" ......Frank Ganz, legendary special teams coach.

But he was there before the two of them. He just was never given the chance to be the guy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 02:31 AM
But he was there before the two of them. He just was never given the chance to be the guy.

I hear you, but he doesnt really have the size to be a feature back. Me-mo is what he is....a 3rd down back that can give you some carries, but not really a guy that is gonna carry the mail for a team.

I'm happy to have him here instead of Dookie though. He run harder despite being smaller.

steelwall
09-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Not impresssed at all, IMO sign a free agent, and keep with the 1, 2 punch.

the_king_from_leon
09-30-2008, 05:21 AM
I thought he played pretty good...he was great on the short receptions, it was a real shame that a Timeout was called denying him his TD

Galax Steeler
09-30-2008, 05:32 AM
Moore really played a good game when giving the chance he would get my offensive game ball.

Dino 6 Rings
09-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Agreed, this guy showed up and made plays when we needed it most.

Good Job!

tony hipchest
09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
nobody should be suprised how well mewelde played last night on the big stage against a fierce opponent.

i posted this when he was 1st signed-

lets look at what he did as a rookie with the vikings-

week 1-3 = 2 touches for 16 yards

week 5 = 1st career start 20 carries/ 92 yds, 12 receptions/90 yards

week 6 = 2nd career start. 15 carries/109 yds, 7 receptions/78 yds

week 7 = did not start. 20 carries/ 138 yds, 5 receptions/30 yds

week 8 = 3rd career start. 8 carries/29 yds, 1 reception/26 yds INJURED

week 9-19 INJURED = 2 touches

and just to prove mewelde was no rookie season fluke, in each of his 1st 3 starts in his sophmore season, he logged 100+ yds from scrimmage. he has made the most of every opportunity his whole career (and is 1 hell of a primetime performer too). najeh isnt. 1 of his best career games was his 1st monday night game (earning him "horse trailer" award), and another huge game came against the SB defending champion patriots. another was in a sunday night game i think.

mewelde is a willie clone (who can catch). he should be given the start next sunday night. remember it was willie who gashed jax last year and najeh who laid an egg.

mewelde, sunday night, big game, big stage...

dont be an ass tomlin.... DO IT!

lilyoder6
09-30-2008, 05:14 PM
well according to pitt post gazette the steelers re-sign dookie :(

stillers4me
09-30-2008, 06:57 PM
After watching some of the highlights, I realized that without Melwede Morre making the big plays he did, we wouldn't have won that game. He was the one that ran the ball into fieldgoal range to win the game. Thanks, Melwede!

I have no problem with Dookie coming back to help out. Moore showed what he is worth last night, and with the dookster around for a couple of games to lend an hand until Willie gets back, hopefully we can run enough to get by.

Now if we can just get Ben to keep screaming at his olinemen, we just might end up with the division where we belong! :tt02:

steelpride12
09-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Moore came in as the last running back and played his game and did his job.
The coaches asked him for his best and he showed what he can do. Of course not a standout, but still he came in with that IMPORTANT 3rd down catch and made a great run which is no surprise because of his kick off ability, but all in all great performance by him.

redst3
10-01-2008, 04:28 AM
He definitely is worthy of praise. He had a great game for a guy off the bench, but let's not get carried away.

When does FWP come back?

stlrtruck
10-01-2008, 11:56 AM
FWP is scheduled to be back after the BYE week but really if Moore is handles the load against the faguars and we play the bungals after that - would it be worth limiting FWP for the bungals to have him healthier for the Giants and what looks to be the toughest run of our schedule?

The Duke
10-01-2008, 12:03 PM
FWP is scheduled to be back after the BYE week but really if Moore is handles the load against the faguars and we play the bungals after that - would it be worth limiting FWP for the bungals to have him healthier for the Giants and what looks to be the toughest run of our schedule?

I hope they do. at this rate even moore can run for 100 against the bengals, and against the giants pass rush they'll need to establish a good running game, for ben's sake

But when willie comes back moore should still be involved in the offense and not only in pass protecting. the man is a playmaker with the ball

I already like him more than dookie

LVSteelersfan
10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Dookie is a stop gap at best. He will probably not be in football shape. Don't expect much from him early on. I still have not heard Gary Russell's name mentioned. At least he knows the playbook. Any word on him???

The Duke
10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Dookie is a stop gap at best. He will probably not be in football shape. Don't expect much from him early on. I still have not heard Gary Russell's name mentioned. At least he knows the playbook. Any word on him???

The Steelers officially added another running back to their 53-man roster today, promoting Gary Russell from the practice squad and re-signing him to a one-year contract.

Russell, an undrafted free agent in 2007, was with the team for the first two games this season but was released Sept. 20 because the Steelers needed an extra linebacker for special teams. He was added a day later to the practice squad after clearing waivers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08275/916465-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

so that's moore, davis, russell, and dookie. and when willi comes back they are back to having 5 runningbacks

lilyoder6
10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
well this week davis could be out with the left ankle injury.... and they did promote russell to the team... but i would think that when willie comes back and davis 100% that russell prob go back to PS and dookie might be cut

Preacher
10-01-2008, 05:51 PM
nobody should be suprised how well mewelde played last night on the big stage against a fierce opponent.

i posted this when he was 1st signed-

1 of his best career games was his 1st monday night game (earning him "horse trailer" award), and another huge game came against the SB defending champion patriots. another was in a sunday night game i think.

mewelde is a willie clone (who can catch). he should be given the start next sunday night. remember it was willie who gashed jax last year and najeh who laid an egg.

mewelde, sunday night, big game, big stage...

dont be an ass tomlin.... DO IT!

Tony..

I completely agree. He needs to be starting this game with Dookie backing him up.

Stlrs4Life
10-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Not impresssed at all, IMO sign a free agent, and keep with the 1, 2 punch.

Same here, outside of his reception in OT, I don't think he did that much.

Preacher
10-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Same here, outside of his reception in OT, I don't think he did that much.

Stlrs4...

I gotta disagree. If you have Tivo or have it recorded... go back and watch some of those short runs. His leg drive picked up an extra yard or two for us a number of times.

Now I want the 1, 2 punch. But until Willie comes back, I think Mwelde can carry the speed aspect of that punch.

UltimateFootballNetwork
10-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Stlrs4...

I gotta disagree. If you have Tivo or have it recorded... go back and watch some of those short runs. His leg drive picked up an extra yard or two for us a number of times.

Now I want the 1, 2 punch. But until Willie comes back, I think Mwelde can carry the speed aspect of that punch.

Hey Steeler fans,

I'm a Redskins fan but am also a Tulane grad and was coming to check out the scoop on Mewelde (big Big Ben fan too). I'm surprised to see not only the fan reaction but also Tomin's reaction. I was shocked to see Carey Davis in the game before Moore last week and can't believe Moore wasn't definitively named the starter for this week.

Let me provide a little of my own perspective having seen Moore since he was a freshman in college. Moore is not just a 3rd down back, he can be an every down back as he was in college and early in his career with the Vikings. Steeler fans will be lucky if he gets most of the carries vs Jax. Moore is not the fastest back, but there are few players with better vision, better change of direction and no one in the NFL has a better stiff arm.

Here's some background:

1) Moore has 273 career carries. 155 (56%) have come on 1st down for 757 yards, or 4.9 yards per carry. Think Moore doesn't have the power to run between the tackles? Go ahead and re-watch his first goal line carry vs the Ravens. He met Ray Ray 1-on-1 in the hole and Ray Ray went backwards.

2) Wondering what happens when Moore gets 20+ touches? Moore got 20+ touches 8 times in his career with the Vikings. In those games he averaged 139 yards from scrimmage and the Vikings were 7-1. And those mostly were the Brad Johnson/Travis Taylor Vikings.

3) You may have noticed that on the 24 yard catch in OT, Moore broke a ridiculous number of tackles and had a sweet stiff arm. Those were not flukes. Go to Moore's NFL.com page and check his other video highlights.

Compare Moore to Reggie Bush since they are the same type of player.

Career:

Mewelde Moore: 273 carries, 1304 yds, 4.8 ypc, 119 catches, 1130 yds, 9.5 ypr
Reggie Bush: 364 carries, 1329 yds, 3.7 ypc, 192 catches, 1416 yds, 7.4 ypr

For the sake of my fantasy team (and a lethal Steelers offense), I've been waiting to see the no huddle with Moore used in a Brian Westbrook role. Don't be surprised if/when Moore gets enough touches vs Jax if he creates a RB controversy. Moore just needs a chance, just like it took 4-5 years for Tiki Barber and Brian Westbrook to shake the "only a 3rd down back" label. I realize that I have a bias, but we'll hopefully get to see this weekend.

The Jags defense is NOT what it used to be. The Steelers can run on them. Good luck this weekend!

cubanstogie
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Stlrs4...

I agree, I didn't know much about him but saw him take Lewis on and knocked him back a couple of yards. He didn't score but still showed power. I too think he will and should start. Najeh is an insurance policy. He also had a pretty good block on Johnson on a blitz pickup considering he was outweighed by 60 pounds if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what people expect but we just lost our top 2 backs, its not like we can go to Walmart and find a replacement. I am happy with Moore, Dookie, Davis. I still haven't seen Russel do anything, but some are high on him.