PDA

View Full Version : Stapleton?

Sharkissle29
09-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Any of you guys notice that once stapelton came in, the O-Line flipped upside down? I wasn't really paying attention to him, but knew that when he came in, the O-Line started protecting Ben extremely well.

jjpro11
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM
yeah.. not sure if he was the sole reason why, but i guess he did pretty good.

Edman
09-30-2008, 12:36 AM
I've noticed it too.

The Offensive Line stopped sucking when Simmons went out. The offense started to click after Smith got hurt. Coincidence? I think not.

This may sound classless, but I hope Simmons and Smith never see the field ever again.

Preacher
09-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Simmons actually played pretty well this year.

But for some reason, when Stapleton came in, there WAS a change in the line.

Hmmm.

I said the same thing in the game day trhead.

RunWillieRun
09-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Any of you guys notice that once stapelton came in, the O-Line flipped upside down? I wasn't really paying attention to him, but knew that when he came in, the O-Line started protecting Ben extremely well.

Wasn't this around the same time they started running the no huddle?

Steelman16
09-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Well, with the initial report of Simmons being done for season, you might get your wish Edman....

Stapleton did a tremendous job. Hopefully if he's the new starter, he'll continue the fine play. God knows we need it!

X-Terminator
09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, with the initial report of Simmons being done for season, you might get your wish Edman....

Stapleton did a tremendous job. Hopefully if he's the new starter, he'll continue the fine play. God knows we need it!

Problem is if Stapleton takes Simmons' spot, then they'll need to sign someone to back up Hartwig since he's also the backup C.

gobig99
09-30-2008, 12:58 AM
I am not completely confident with Stapleton at 280lbs or so playing guard. Id rather move Colon into guard (where he should be) and bring our multi million dollar man Max Starks off the bench to play RT (haha). seriously i would though

ytsan2q
09-30-2008, 12:59 AM
I think Ben was just hitting the hot receiver a little faster. That caused Bmore to blitz a little less.

Aussie_steeler
09-30-2008, 01:02 AM
I am not completely confident with Stapleton at 280lbs or so playing guard. Id rather move Colon into guard (where he should be) and bring our multi million dollar man Max Starks off the bench to play RT (haha). seriously i would though

Stapleton played well but I would tend to agree that Colon at RG and Starks at RT would be a serious option to consider at this stage. I guess Hills would move up as backup at OT

The Duke
09-30-2008, 01:10 AM

he bulked up in the offseason. I believe he is around 305

gobig99
09-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Oh i did not know he bulked up...But i still think Colon is better suited for Guard and even said it tonight before Simmons went down. And I dont think Starks would be a bad fit at RT. Colon is a big boy for in the middle and Starks seems a bit more mobile than him on the outside.

Da Steeler Soprano
09-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Stapleton is gonna be a stud on our line in the future. I say let him start at guard unless he proves otherwise. Keep our unsung hero from last season waiting in the wings....Trai Essex

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Yeah, Stapleton is going over 3 bills. I thought I read Tomlin refer to him as 315 in the preseason.

he worked out fine and I think is a solid backup that will now get his chance to start. Let's not forget he was nominated for the Rimmington award in the NCAA.....so not like he is a scrub.

hizmi
09-30-2008, 02:35 AM
I'd actually like to see starks move to LT, Smith to RT, and either colon or stapleton to RG.

I could be way off, but I feel starks is better on the left, and smith would be one of the better RT's in the game

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 02:41 AM
I'd actually like to see starks move to LT, Smith to RT, and either colon or stapleton to RG.

I could be way off, but I feel starks is better on the left, and smith would be one of the better RT's in the game

You have no idea how much that scares me.

The knock on Starks is he has slow feet and doesnt play with intensity. In the preseason game against Buffalo he got beat by the backup RDE....TWICE, on the same play and caused the sack and fumble by Leftwich.

Smith has much better foot quickness and technique than Starks. I think Starks on the left side would be a recipe for disaster. If Starks plays tackle, I would rather he be on the Right side where Ben can see the guy that beats him to the outside....just like Colon.

Tankus_Maximus
09-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Stapleton looked good....makes the loss of Simmons easier to take.

steelpride12
09-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Stapleton looked better than simmons last night and it can only help our line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 11:25 AM
ESPN is reporting that its likely that Essex will start at guard.

Neither he nor Stapleton is better than Simmons, but will be fine as replacements.

Steeldude
09-30-2008, 12:02 PM
could stapleton have been any worse than simmons?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 12:06 PM
could stapleton have been any worse than simmons?

Yes, he actually can.

How many NFL starts does Stapleton have and how many does Simmons have? Then ask how much experience Stapleton has with the blitz schemes of the Jaguars.

revefsreleets
09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I think there was some word out of the Steelers that Essex will take Simmons place. Only reason Stapleton came in last night was that Essex wasn't in pads for some reason...

steelreserve
09-30-2008, 12:44 PM
If Stapleton keeps doing well, I've got no problem leaving him in there indefinitely, although it sounds like they may be looking at Essex as the long-term replacement. But if they do give Stapleton another look, they can't be blamed for giving a chance to the guy who's been playing well.

Steeldude
10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes, he actually can.

How many NFL starts does Stapleton have and how many does Simmons have? Then ask how much experience Stapleton has with the blitz schemes of the Jaguars.

i don't think you have seen simmons play. he has been here since 2002 and he is still making bonehead mistakes and being thrown around.

lilyoder6
10-01-2008, 12:43 PM
i thought that stapleton did a very good job the other night.. i mean coming and making blocks.. i for sure thought when they blitzed it would be from stapleton's side... but he handled himself good

SteelFist
10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, he actually can.

When referring to the blitz, you're better off using the Ravens instead of the Jags. They don't blitz much. But one thing is for certain, Simmons and Colon are the "Weakest Links"........that I know!

SteelMember
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I think there was some word out of the Steelers that Essex will take Simmons place. Only reason Stapleton came in last night was that Essex wasn't in pads for some reason...

yup. not active that game.

steelpride12
10-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Simmons other than Smith is the best player on the line, and yes Stapleton will make the line worse.

Edman
10-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Simmons other than Smith is the best player on the line, and yes Stapleton will make the line worse.

That's funny, because as soon as Simmons went out and Stapleton came in, the Offensive Line didn't give up a single sack the rest of the game. Even with Willie Colon still in there. Coincidence? I think not. Even when the Steelers stopped going no-huddle, Ben was clean.

Simmons has been a weak link in the Steelers Line for years. But we'll see how Stapleton fares against the Jaguars.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2008, 12:19 PM
i don't think you have seen simmons play. he has been here since 2002 and he is still making bonehead mistakes and being thrown around.

Yes, I actually have been a Steeler fan for 30 years and the last 9 years of NFL Sunday Ticket have allowed me to watch Simmons play. Now that I have a PVR, I can actually go thru the game play by play. Could you be more specific about the "bonehead mistakes and being thrown around".....pretty vague.

If you actually break down the games play by play, Simmons is a solid player, a powerful run blocker and good pass blocker. In pass protection, he does sometimes get caught off balance, or the D-lineman uses a good push-pull, or rip move on him because he doesnt have long arms.

If Simmons was as bad as the majority of the posters here make him out to be......he wouldnt be earning a $23mil contract.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2008, 12:24 PM
That's funny, because as soon as Simmons went out and Stapleton came in, the Offensive Line didn't give up a single sack the rest of the game. Even with Willie Colon still in there. Coincidence? .

Could you please describe how Simmons was responsible for any of the first 3 sacks??

Here is a good link posted by Revefsreleets that shows Simmons had a man blocked on each of the sacks. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=27693

I agree that Smith, Simmons and Kemo are our best linemen and neither Stapleton nor Essex will be an upgrade.

The Duke
10-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Yes, I actually have been a Steeler fan for 30 years and the last 9 years of NFL Sunday Ticket have allowed me to watch Simmons play. Now that I have a PVR, I can actually go thru the game play by play. Could you be more specific about the "bonehead mistakes and being thrown around".....pretty vague.

If you actually break down the games play by play, Simmons is a solid player, a powerful run blocker and good pass blocker. In pass protection, he does sometimes get caught off balance, or the D-lineman uses a good push-pull, or rip move on him because he doesnt have long arms.

If Simmons was as bad as the majority of the posters here make him out to be......he wouldnt be earning a $23mil contract.

agree

simmons may not be great, but he's been solid

what I can't stand are comments like " Simmons injury will be a blessing in disguise" :mad: . And I've seen plenty of those

based on what? that the oline suddenly played better in the end half? I'll give ben's speech credit for that

one player doesn't turn an offensive line around. and as much as I hope stapleton excells ( or is it essex?) I'm not holding my breath

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2008, 12:38 PM
agree

what I can't stand are comments like " Simmons injury will be a blessing in disguise" :mad: .

I hear ya :banging:
I also like "Smith should play RT and Starks earn his $7mil at LT" .......If Starks cant beat out Willie Colon, then all he would be doing is jeopardizing the health of Ben and his $102mil.

Steeldude
10-02-2008, 02:04 PM

really? that's interesting reasoning. i guess starks is getting $7 mil because he is too good to start. what about kordell and his raise following the 1998 season? i don't have a play-by-play breakdown of him, but i know he sucked as a QB his entire career.

Here is a good link posted by Revefsreleets that shows Simmons had a man blocked on each of the sacks

and that refers to plays that resulted in sacks only. there is also another site that reviews the O-line. the grades/synopsis for simmons last year were mostly poor to average.

neither Stapleton nor Essex will be an upgrade

i remember fans saying that about james harrison. i am not saying essex or stapleton will be a harrison, but i will wait and see. unfortunately the steelers play the jags defense this sunday.

if you think simmons is a powerful run blocker and good in pass protection, then more power to you, but i certainly don't see it. at least not consistently enough to warrant $23 mil. it doesn't really matter much anymore. his career is most likely finished.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2008, 03:42 PM
really? that's interesting reasoning. i guess starks is getting $7 mil because he is too good to start. what about kordell and his raise following the 1998 season? i don't have a play-by-play breakdown of him, but i know he sucked as a QB his entire career.

You mean the 1997 season when Kordell passed for 3020 yds, 21TD, 17INT and 11 rushing TD's??? Yeah, 32 TD's in a season really sucks.:pity: I cant understand why they gave him a new contract .:noidea:

and that refers to plays that resulted in sacks only. there is also another site that reviews the O-line. the grades/synopsis for simmons last year were mostly poor to average.

This quote wasnt even referring to your post. That link was in response to Edman's belief that the sack totals went down as a result of Simmons not being in the game.

i remember fans saying that about james harrison. i am not saying essex or stapleton will be a harrison, but i will wait and see. unfortunately the steelers play the jags defense this sunday.

if you think simmons is a powerful run blocker and good in pass protection, then more power to you, but i certainly don't see it. at least not consistently enough to warrant $23 mil. it doesn't really matter much anymore. his career is most likely finished.

Shockingly, I dont expect you see Simmons as good at anything. His stellar career at Auburn, 1st round selection and 6 years as a starting OG in the NFL can only be explained by him having some kind of good blackmail photos on somebody.

I too believe that Simmons had an average year last season, but he played better than Smith, Faneca, Mahan or Colon did.

But like you say, it really doesnt matter because somehow you have knowledge that his career is most likely over. Its not like anybody else has comeback from a ruptured achilies.....oh wait, Greg Ellis came back in 2007 from his with 12.5 sacks.

BTW, I've watched a lot of games and have them on tape and still havent seen Simmons "being thrown around" like you say he does.

lilyoder6
10-02-2008, 04:31 PM
simmons was good for us.. plain and simple.. i just hope that who ever takes his place will be as good.. and i wonder if simmons can even come back from this injury

Preacher
10-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Steeldude is one of those that will ALWAYS see the glass as half empty...

For Simmons, well, he did well, and HAS done well this year. That WILL be a loss. However, I DO think it is a blessing in disguise because through it, we will have to move some backups who haven't played into the line and see how they perform. We may have one or two big surprises. If that is the case, then it drastically affects the draft next year.

I thought Stapleton did very well in Simmons spot. Now, if Essex can't step in, we know we can have Stapleton play that position... This way, we know we have some depth at Simmons AND Hartwigs spot as backup. Heck, what if Essex plays so well, that we actually can move him inside to replace Colon next year? Or Stapleton for that matter, and then only have to worry about a couple backups?

Sure, Simmons injury hurts us NOW. But it sure will be nice to have a reason to put these backups in a position to play under pressure and see what they can do before we lose a number of them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2008, 04:44 PM
simmons was good for us.. plain and simple.. i just hope that who ever takes his place will be as good.. and i wonder if simmons can even come back from this injury

Its definately possible to come back from an achilles injury. Its a long 6-8 months of rehab. The thing is that he is 2 years into a 4 year contract and they might likely try to restructure it if he is gonna be working his way back next season.

Kemo's offseason pricetag might have just gone up.

Preacher
10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Its definately possible to come back from an achilles injury. Its a long 6-8 months of rehab. The thing is that he is 2 years into a 4 year contract and they might likely try to restructure it if he is gonna be working his way back next season.

Kemo's offseason pricetag might have just gone up.

True... but if he plays well, it would be worth it. He did well last year on the right side filling in for Smith. To have someone who can play either side is really nice... provided he can take care of Simmons position.

And yes, to fill that contract, I could imagine a restructure.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Steeldude is one of those that will ALWAYS see the glass as half empty...

Maybe his glass is just twice as big as everybody else??? :noidea:

Speaking optomistically, of course. :wink02:

Preacher
10-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Maybe his glass is just twice as big as everybody else??? :noidea:

Speaking optomistically, of course. :wink02:

:chuckle:

:buttkick:

The Duke
10-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I DO think it is a blessing in disguise because through it, we will have to move some backups who haven't played into the line and see how they perform. We may have one or two big surprises. If that is the case, then it drastically affects the draft next year.

well, I gotta agree there. only way the injury benefits the team is the development of younger guys ( stapleton, hills, and even essex who is on contract year)

Steely McSmash
10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
... have to move some backups who haven't played into the line and see how they perform. We may have one or two big surprises. If that is the case, then it drastically affects the draft next year...

You're assuming that the Steelers would draft based on need and therefore according to some logic. Sadly this is not the case.

Steeldude
10-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Shockingly, I dont expect you see Simmons as good at anything. His stellar career at Auburn, 1st round selection and 6 years as a starting OG in the NFL can only be explained by him having some kind of good blackmail photos on somebody.

I too believe that Simmons had an average year last season, but he played better than Smith, Faneca, Mahan or Colon did.

But like you say, it really doesnt matter because somehow you have knowledge that his career is most likely over. Its not like anybody else has comeback from a ruptured achilies.....oh wait, Greg Ellis came back in 2007 from his with 12.5 sacks.

BTW, I've watched a lot of games and have them on tape and still havent seen Simmons "being thrown around" like you say he does.

6 years as a starting OG only goes to show how little the steelers cared about improving the O-line(IMO). i wasn't really disappointed with the pick of simmons(even though he was a reach in the first), at least the steelers tried. after the simmons pick the steelers pretty much neglected giving serious thought to the O-line. when was the last time the steelers had a dominating O-line? they may dominate against weak teams, but weak teams generally aren't around in the post-season to beat up on. in 2003 the steelers had their worst rushing attack since 1969. the year following the SB the steelers gave up 49 sacks. in 2004 the O-line protected BR and allowed 30 sacks(36 team). which sounds ok until you look at the sack% of 9.1. also, they were 19th in YPA for rushing. there is no positive consistency. the steelers seem to have grown content with picking late round linemen and/or discarded/hand-me-down linemen.

2003 - no picks for the O-line.

2004 - max starks in the 3rd round(i thought he would be better). drew caylor and bo lacy in the 6th round.

2005 - trai essex in the 3rd round(considered a huge reach). chris kemoeatu in the 6the round(jury is still out. no doubt he is strong, but can he remain healthy and improve his skills. he is an RFA after this season)

2006 - willie colon in the 4th round(the guy is clearly more suited for G than T, IMO) and marvin phillip in the 6th round.

2007 - cameron stephenson in the 5th round.

2008 - tony hills in the 4th round. IMO, this guy will be a frequent visitor to the IR.

the steelers are now looking at 2009 with only 2 starting linemen(hartwig, colon) to return for sure.

yes, his career is most likely over. he is a large man with a ruptured achilles. he also happens to be an offensive lineman. a position requiring a lot of constant pushing while moving. don't forget he is also diabetic which will affect the healing process. hopefully he can return. i hate to see players(good or bad) being forced to retire because of injuries.

You mean the 1997 season when Kordell passed for 3020 yds, 21TD, 17INT and 11 rushing TD's??? Yeah, 32 TD's in a season really sucks. I cant understand why they gave him a new contract

yet another fan fooled by the mirage of 1997. you forgot his post-season numbers and his 98 season which preceded the raise. if i remember correctly, kordell had somewhere around a 41+ career passer rating for the post season. for 1998 he had 11TD passes ,18 INTs, 5.6 YPA, a 55% completion/pct and an astounding 62.9 passer rating. by all means let's give that guy a raise. let's see what it did for him in 1999. surely he must have improved. i mean the steelers FO never makes a mistake, right? 6 TDs, 10 INTs, 5.3 YPA, 58.2% for a whopping 64.9 passer rating. i guess he did improve :sofunny: 5+ years as a starting QB for the steelers can only be explained by him having some kind of good blackmail photos on somebody. wouldn't you agree?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-03-2008, 11:00 AM
yet another fan fooled by the mirage of 1997.

Sorry to disappoint you Steeldude....never was a Kordell fan, never owned a Kordell Jersey. I actually was hoping that Michigan St. product Jim Miller would progress to be the starter.

I was just responding to another one of your vague and inaccurate assessments of players.

what about kordell and his raise following the 1998 season? i don't have a play-by-play breakdown of him, but i know he sucked as a QB his entire career.

Again, if a guy "sucked his entire career in the NFL" it would stand to reason he wouldnt play for almost a decade.

steelpride12
10-03-2008, 11:02 AM
That's funny, because as soon as Simmons went out and Stapleton came in, the Offensive Line didn't give up a single sack the rest of the game. Even with Willie Colon still in there. Coincidence? I think not. Even when the Steelers stopped going no-huddle, Ben was clean.

Simmons has been a weak link in the Steelers Line for years. But we'll see how Stapleton fares against the Jaguars.

Ya im not gonna give Stapleton much credit until he plays a few games and proves himself better than simmons. Simmons has his games trust me he looked good the superbowl season and not to bad last season, against the Ravens he didn't look to great, but not many did against that D.

Steeldude
10-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Steeldude....never was a Kordell fan, never owned a Kordell Jersey. I actually was hoping that Michigan St. product Jim Miller would progress to be the starter.

I was just responding to another one of your vague and inaccurate assessments of players.

what about kordell and his raise following the 1998 season? i don't have a play-by-play breakdown of him, but i know he sucked as a QB his entire career.

Again, if a guy "sucked his entire career in the NFL" it would stand to reason he wouldnt play for almost a decade.

you mean i should have said powerful and good? would that have been less vague? btw, i wasn't calling you a kordell fan. it meant fan, as in steelers' fan.

let me know if you want to get into an in-depth discussion of why kordell sucked his entire career as a QB.

I actually was hoping that Michigan St. product Jim Miller would progress to be the starter

me too. i thought he wasn't given a fair chance. if i remember correctly the steelers gave him only 3 quarters and then benched him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-03-2008, 01:25 PM
you mean i should have said powerful and good? would that have been less vague? btw, i wasn't calling you a kordell fan. it meant fan, as in steelers' fan.

let me know if you want to get into an in-depth discussion of why kordell sucked his entire career as a QB.

me too. i thought he wasn't given a fair chance. if i remember correctly the steelers gave him only 3 quarters and then benched him.

I can honestly say I have seen Simmons drive blocking very well this season and not getting thrown around. He extends explosively into defenders and drives his legs well. In pass protection he has been OK, but miscommunication with him the the guys on either side of him let some Eagle defenders get a free shot on Ben 2 times.

Yeah, I am a Steeler fan, but not one that blindly thought we had the best O-line and defense after the Houston game, nor do I think the O line and offense is the worst ever after the Philly game. Its a long season and the other teams are trying to win too.

As for an in depth discussion about why Kordell sucked, its OK. I think he had all the physical tools to be a big physical receiver if he stuck with it, but had the strong arm, quick feet, etc to be a QB but wasnt able to read defenses or maintain good throwing mechanics. I dont think he sucked his whole career, he just never had what it takes to win the big games consistently.

Stapleton will be OK. Even if Smith, Starks, Simmons are not back next season, I think the Steelers will look to resign Kemo, try and be a player in free agency(Jordan Gross maybe) and draft on the line. A little succession planning would be nice from the front office, but back to panic mode next april.

The Duke
10-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I think the Steelers will look to resign Kemo, try and be a player in free agency(Jordan Gross maybe) and draft on the line.

didn't know gross would be a FA

him and kemo ( who should be resigned imo) would be great in the left side

he was injured sunday( concussion I believe) , but he's supposed to ready this week. 91 straight game, tough guy :thumbsup:

DACEB
10-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I kept an eye on Stapleton when he came in, and he played well. But the surge in offense came when we went to the no-huddle. We don't run as many bunch and 2WR to one side 2TE sets in the no-huddle. When we spread the field out more with 3WR sets with 2 spread wide, it opens everything up for our offense. Those stupid a$$ bunch formations are the cause of much of the problems on offense. Those sets bunch all the defenders in the box. They leave no room to run and provide confusion for the O-line on who to block, not to mention the shortest path to the QB.

As tense as I was that whole game, once we started running the no-huddle and moved the ball, I realized just how great we could be with a better game plan. If we spread it out more, with the depleted backfield, we will see more success. The injuries at RB could change our offensive scheme for the better. And it would only work better with FWP running and receiving in that type of offense.

Steeldude
10-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Stapleton will be OK. Even if Smith, Starks, Simmons are not back next season, I think the Steelers will look to resign Kemo, try and be a player in free agency(Jordan Gross maybe) and draft on the line. A little succession planning would be nice from the front office, but back to panic mode next april.

i believe the steelers will re-sign RFA kemo also.

yep, jordan gross is the lineman i saw that stood out the most. with smith and starks off the roster i believe they can sing him. i do hope it's reasonable and not of the astronomical salaries the NFL sees so much of.

i would like to see colon move to G. IMO, i just can't see him excelling at the T position.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2008, 11:37 AM
i believe the steelers will re-sign RFA kemo also.

yep, jordan gross is the lineman i saw that stood out the most. with smith and starks off the roster i believe they can sing him. i do hope it's reasonable and not of the astronomical salaries the NFL sees so much of.

i would like to see colon move to G. IMO, i just can't see him excelling at the T position.

I think all of that CAN happen, I just question the Steelers going after the top LT free agent....its not their style.

I honestly see Tony Hills having a shot at playing RT next season. He showed athleticism to stay with the faster outside rushers, but he just blocks with his shoulders and not with his arms/hands because he probably lacked the strength. I think a redshirt year like this to spend in the gym and learn the system and he can play RT.

Possible line next season being .....Jordan Gross, Kemo, Hartwig, Colon(or Simmons) and Hills. Reserves are then Stapleton, Essex(possible re sign) and 2 rookie draft picks.