View Full Version : Pick up Shaun Alexander

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Low risk, high reward.

Preacher
09-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Low risk, high reward.

you know,

there are a few RB's that are waiting for a phone call...

MACH1
09-30-2008, 12:41 AM
That would really pi$$ off them seahag fans.

I'd think about it if he played for minimum.

ricksteelers55
09-30-2008, 12:44 AM
he said earlier this year that he was willing to play for the vet minimum so I say why not,him or Dookie

Steelthe#1dynasty
Smart pick up.....Certainly better than Dookie. Alexander can also block!

Steelman16
That would really pi$$ off them seahag fans.

I'd think about it if he played for minimum.

Oh, the irony. :chuckle:

I have a few Seahags fans I'll be calling if that happens.

The Duke
09-30-2008, 12:45 AM
I smell :poop: coming

ShutDown24
09-30-2008, 12:46 AM
At first it sounds like a bad move, but thinking about it deeper it could be alright.

Obviously pay him crap, bring him in and see what he can pick up. Nothing to lose in my opinion. If he can't perform, you go to someone else.

Edman
Are you kidding me? Soft Alexander who falls down into piles?

The Steelers will reactivate Russel and we've got the 2007 backfield again. Only instead of Dookie, we have Moore.

MACH1
Oh, the irony. :chuckle:

I have a few Seahags fans I'll be calling if that happens.

So do I. :toofunny:

It would be even better if he got his first ring with the Steelers. :rofl:

Steelthe#1dynasty
09-30-2008, 12:47 AM
I smell :poop: coming

Please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 12:48 AM
The guy's been worthless since his injury in early '06. No thanks.

X-Terminator
09-30-2008, 12:52 AM
They'll bring back Gary Russell and find another warm body who can play fullback. I don't want to see Alexander here.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
lets just activate Sweed and we wont use a running back.........We can run everything out of a 5 wide shotgun formation

hizmi
09-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Alexander is cooked....I think you know who I want :wink02:

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Alexander is cooked....I think you know who I want :wink02:

Kenton Keith? j/k :chuckle: :drink:

jjpro11
09-30-2008, 01:09 AM
lets just activate Sweed and we wont use a running back.........We can run everything out of a 5 wide shotgun formation

we already have greg lloyd and kevin greene on the team.. a young head coach.. might as well make a full return to the 90s!

hizmi
09-30-2008, 01:11 AM

Right...like the Colts would just gift us the best RB in the league...:screwy:

:wink02:

Aussie_steeler
09-30-2008, 01:21 AM
They'll bring back Gary Russell and find another warm body who can play fullback. I don't want to see Alexander here.

McHugh played well as the lead blocker tonight. Not sure about his running though.

With Russell and Vincent on the practice squad I see Russell coming up and a practice squad body being found until FWP's back.

LVSteelersfan
09-30-2008, 01:26 AM
I think Russell is the best one to bring up since he already knows the playbook. Alexander is a joke. I don't see the Steelers bringing in a new RB outside the organization because of Russell. Although I am not a big Russell fan, I think he is better than Sean hit the line and die Alexander.

MasterOfPuppets
09-30-2008, 01:32 AM
trade for kuhn !!! :tt03:

kmsteelerwr15
09-30-2008, 01:57 AM
trade for kuhn !!! :tt03:

that would be the common sense thing to do. not to mention he would easily win the MVP and lead us to another Super Bowl :thumbsup:

Petesburgh66
09-30-2008, 02:12 AM

He is back in the CFL for three years with the Hamilton Ti-Cats.

I see Davenport coming back.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 02:36 AM
He is back in the CFL for three years with the Hamilton Ti-Cats.

I see Davenport coming back.

I hope you are wrong. Davenport just runs into the pile upright and either falls down or gets tackled when he tries to outrun defenders to the corner.

Rather see Gary Russell and Justin Vincent featured than Dookie

bozz723
09-30-2008, 03:10 AM
I can give Barlow a call - since he now frequents the bar I go to with one of his former Pitt coaches.

Is Barlow bad?

stillers4me
09-30-2008, 06:23 AM
Bringing in Alexander not only would piss off the Seahag fans but would make Bungals fans go postal. They've been screaming for him. :chuckle:

Just sayin'.......:sofunny:

steelpride12
09-30-2008, 07:18 AM
I still think Moore will get most of the carries because he knows the offense, but for depth they will look for a vet. cheap running back.

Mosca
09-30-2008, 08:39 AM
LOL, Alexander is renowned for being a terrible blocker, a one trick pony. The only reason he had those good years in ESeattle was not only that bull of a line that he got to run behind, but also that they were so good that he was never called on to pass protect. Trust me, the guy would SUCK in our system.

Blitzburgh_Fever
09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Davis has a sprained ankle, right? So we should be fine to bring in Russel for Mendenhall. Parker comes back after the bye and we're good.

Mosca
09-30-2008, 09:09 AM
No, that won't work; we have to have 4 deep, both to spell guys during the games and in case someone goes down again.

SteelMember
09-30-2008, 09:35 AM

I agree. No alexander....or dookie.

I hope you are wrong. Davenport just runs into the pile upright and either falls down or gets tackled when he tries to outrun defenders to the corner.

Probably both, until FWP gets back.

revefsreleets
09-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Let's not pick up Alexander and say we did...

Edman
09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Once again I'd like to stress: The last thing the Steelers need is a soft over the hill RB that dives down into the line of scrimmage and flops like a drunk into piles of bodies. Soft Alexander Sucks.

Reactivate Russell. He can't be any worse.

atlsteelers
09-30-2008, 11:06 AM
i would at least bring in alexander for a physical or a talk. maybe he is feels slighted and will play with renewed energy or he might just be washed up. its worht a little more investigation. but its a bad sign when he is still on the street.

Dino 6 Rings
09-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Rudi Johnson...that's what I say...

Or, trade our 1st rounder of 09 and 2nd 0f 2010 to the Rams for Steven Jackson NOW.

PalmerSteel
09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
if SA would play for mimimum, definately give him a workout. dont know if he would though.

steelers2685
09-30-2008, 05:26 PM
As much as I hate him from when we whooped on him in the Super Bowl, think he's a possible fill in for the rest of this year? I'd almost rather have him than Najeh who I hear practiced with the team today?

Ozman58
09-30-2008, 06:45 PM
It would be a bad move. Look at the rest of the league. The are alot of backs on alot of teams that one might think are not as good as Alexander. The bottom line is teams who are struggling with the run are steering clear of him.

He's a cap liability if he performs well and might incite some sort of RB controversy and everyone wants Willie with the ball when he is healthy (which wont be long).

We should run RB by committee for the next few weeks and pick up a mid skill speed back to offset Moore until Parker can shoulder most of the the load again. Not having a feature back might actually throw off a few defenses. Have Alexander would make the running game mundane and predicatable and only server to increase the abuse that ben is taking right now.

Petesburgh66
09-30-2008, 10:20 PM

The reason why I said that I can see Davenport coming back is that he step in right away and he can handle kick off return duties.

Havik
09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
No to has-been Shaun Alexander. Just another over-the-hill back who is past his prime.

LS43
10-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Hey all Steelerfans,

As i just heard Coach Tomlin say, they are going to sign to RB, could it be Mr Alexander? Or what do u guys think? I know Willie will be back, but if get hurt again i think i would be great if we had some good threat as a backup, and who is more suited for it then Alexander, i read i would even play for a Vet's payment:P

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-01-2008, 04:27 AM
i read i would even play for a Vet's payment:P

Shaun? Is that you...pandering for a job? :chuckle:

He's lost a lot of his gas, tends to not get many yards after the first hit, and could potentially have injury problems. I hope he finds a place because I like him as much as I can like a Seahawk, but I really think he's towards the end of his career. I like that he'll play for vet minimum though.

The main problem is that of the backs available in FA/PS, they're all about the same caliber -- middle of the road, with either inexperience, injury-prone, old, or personality issues. There aren't even many "project" backs available. Personally, I would've rather moved Russell up (he showed signs of power in his running) than pick Najeh up again, but really it's all six of one, half dozen of the other.

Now, that said we're in no real danger of not having HB depth, considering in 3-5 weeks we'll have, presumably, Parker, Russell/Najeh/Alexander probably, Davis, and Moore. My guess is we'll relegate Davis back to FB duties and use Parker/Moore as our primary back with the FA pickup in short yardage situations. Moore and Parker are similar backs, so as long as we can pickup a power runner we'll be fine. :tt02:

fansince'76
10-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey all Steelerfans,

As i just heard Coach Tomlin say, they are going to sign to RB, could it be Mr Alexander? Or what do u guys think? I know Willie will be back, but if get hurt again i think i would be great if we had some good threat as a backup, and who is more suited for it then Alexander, i read i would even play for a Vet's payment:P

Alexander sucks, has sucked since his injury in '06, and opening more threads on the same subject isn't going to change it.

Merging this with the already-existing Alexander thread.