PDA

View Full Version : Simmons Gone

Atlanta Dan
09-30-2008, 12:42 AM
IR - achilles

Not good

Steelman16
09-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Not good. The only bright side was that Stapleton played pretty well.

Edman
09-30-2008, 12:45 AM
This is a blessing, really.

RunWillieRun
09-30-2008, 12:45 AM
I was impressed with Stapleton...simmons is big...but I don't think its that big of a loss

jjpro11
09-30-2008, 12:46 AM
it is a loss, because now we have no depth. we already lost faneca to FA, and didnt replace him with anyone. mahan is gone, as bad as he was at center, he could have at least filled in at guard.. but i understand there was probably issues there and he had to go. its unfortunate, but whatever.

Steelthe#1dynasty
09-30-2008, 12:52 AM
This is a blessing, really.

Agreed. Simmons usually couldn't hold his blocks for 2-3 seconds. Let's see what Stapleton has to offer our porous o-line.

MasterOfPuppets
09-30-2008, 01:12 AM
i'd still like to see colon move to guard ,he's obviously not a tackle. get essex some playing time to see how many tackles we'll need for next season.

tony hipchest
09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
This is a blessing, really.now is not the time for steelerfans to start acting like morons.

LVSteelersfan
09-30-2008, 01:29 AM
I was rooting for the past couple weeks for Simmons to get benched. But certainly not go on the IR. That really hurts us big time. Lets hope Stapleton can do the job. Now if they would just get Starks in there to replace Colon, maybe we can see if it gets a little better out there. The dogs didn't seem to be getting in there quite as much after Simmons went down from what I could tell.

tony hipchest
09-30-2008, 01:38 AM
steelerfans have been rooting for every offensive lineman to go to the bench!

who the hell is gonna go then????????????

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 01:46 AM
now is not the time for steelerfans to start acting like morons.
What do you mean "start"??

Achilies can mostly be season ending. If its completely severed, the atrophy of the calf with no attachement means it starts to roll up the leg and needs surgical repair quickly.

I think we will see this position flexibility of Essex and actually Parquet I thought played well in preseason. Expect to see him elevated from the PS.

tony hipchest
09-30-2008, 01:51 AM
What do you mean "start"??Achilies can mostly be season ending. If its completely severed, the atrophy of the calf with no attachement means it starts to roll up the leg and needs surgical repair quickly.

I think we will see this position flexibility of Essex and actually Parquet I thought played well in preseason. Expect to see him elevated from the PS.:laughing:

touche'

:duel:

so what do you think? essex and colon?

or starks with colon moved into the inside?

i think essex and colon. money aside, starks seems to be nothing but a stop gap at this point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Still a long season ahead Tony. I dont think Tomlin is gonna panic.

All that will change is that Stapleton will play at RG and Essex will dress on gameday so that if any other inteior lineman goes down he can play there.

I think Starks will stay as the primary backup for either RT or LT and Parquet gets elevated to the active roster. Steelers will be fine.....not a great situation, but fine.

Steeldude
09-30-2008, 01:57 AM
it sucks to be injured, but simmons is not a big loss. he has either been average or poor during his tenure with the steelers.

Aussie_steeler
09-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Still a long season ahead Tony. I dont think Tomlin is gonna panic.

All that will change is that Stapleton will play at RG and Essex will dress on gameday so that if any other inteior lineman goes down he can play there.
I think Starks will stay as the primary backup for either RT or LT and Parquet gets elevated to the active roster. Steelers will be fine.....not a great situation, but fine.

What are the options for backup at Center if Hartwig needs to come out and Stapleton is already starting?

tony hipchest
09-30-2008, 02:06 AM
What are the options for backup at Center if Hartwig needs to come out and Stapleton is already starting?starks at RT, colon at RG. stapelton at center. everybody "slides over". :noidea:

atleast the worst case scenario has seemed to be worked out.

Aussie_steeler
09-30-2008, 02:11 AM
starks at RT, colon at RG. stapelton at center. everybody "slides over". :noidea:

atleast the worst case scenario has seemed to be worked out.

does this mean a swingman who can play OG / C might need to be found?

Didnt we just trade one of them away?:noidea:

Preacher
09-30-2008, 02:16 AM
i'd still like to see colon move to guard ,he's obviously not a tackle. get essex some playing time to see how many tackles we'll need for next season.

Yeah... I would love to see Essex. Get a different line going this year and see what happens. tonight looked pretty good towards the end.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 02:28 AM
What are the options for backup at Center if Hartwig needs to come out and Stapleton is already starting?

Stapleton would then play C and probably Essex comes in to play RG. Remember, that Essex played guard in preseason while Kemo was out. Colon hasnt taken any snaps at Guard this season, so they would need to get him some work.

Essex as the #1 backup on the inside and Starks as the #1 backup at OT is the option that keeps it the most simple.

To answer the question if we just traded away a G/C swingman. Yes we did, but Stapleton, Essex and even Parquet are stronger and better suited to handle the larger 3-4 d-linemen. The backup C in Tampa, I think is better suited to play against the smaller DT's in a 4-3, which I think all but 2 teams in the NFC play.

Galax Steeler
09-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Tampa might be willing to trade us Hartwig again.:chuckle:

Aussie_steeler
09-30-2008, 06:05 AM
Stapleton would then play C and probably Essex comes in to play RG. Remember, that Essex played guard in preseason while Kemo was out. Colon hasnt taken any snaps at Guard this season, so they would need to get him some work.

Essex as the #1 backup on the inside and Starks as the #1 backup at OT is the option that keeps it the most simple.

To answer the question if we just traded away a G/C swingman. Yes we did, but Stapleton, Essex and even Parquet are stronger and better suited to handle the larger 3-4 d-linemen. The backup C in Tampa, I think is better suited to play against the smaller DT's in a 4-3, which I think all but 2 teams in the NFC play.

That last comment from me was a bit tongue in cheek. He is better off in Tampa for the reasons you highlighted.

In all seriousness is there a need to possibly add a OG /C to the practice squad to cover any future mishaps or will that issue be dealt with when it arises? ( I can faintly hear LLT contemplating the possibility of Legursky for the PS)

I initially forgot about Essex and his value as a guard and tackle. Some of the UFA and RFA's on the O line might get a chance to enhance their value know that Simmons is out for the season.

SteelMember
09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
In all seriousness is there a need to possibly add a OG /C to the practice squad to cover any future mishaps or will that issue be dealt with when it arises? ( I can faintly hear LLT contemplating the possibility of Legursky for the PS)

I could see him as a definate possibility.

stlrtruck
09-30-2008, 09:27 AM
who the hell is gonna go then????????????

John Kuhn - duh!!! :applaudit: :hatsoff: :toofunny: :rofl:

GBMelBlount
09-30-2008, 09:32 AM
I could see him (Legursky) as a definate possibility.

Unfortunately, he has to do more than simply bench press his opponent.... :chuckle:

SteelMember
09-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately, he has to do more than simply bench press his opponent.... :chuckle:

At least that would be moving the opponent in the "opposite" direction.:laughing:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I was a big Legursky supporter in the preseason, but he was easily the WORST O lineman we had in training camp.

He was getting pushed around by the 3rd string oppsitions DT's.

None of our centers got hurt last night, so I dont see why we need to add a backup that can play center?? It looks like Essex will start at guard anyways according to an ESPN report.

Rotorhead
09-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Starting to get a bit scary with all the injuries . . . hopefully we can get through Jax without anymore and can heal up during the Bye . . . I am glad it is so soon this season!

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Starting to get a bit scary with all the injuries . . . hopefully we can get through Jax without anymore and can heal up during the Bye . . . I am glad it is so soon this season!

Agreed, and actually, this is one of the latest bye weeks we've had in recent years. Seems like we usually get ours after week 3 or 4.

Steelman16
09-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I could see him as a definate possibility.

Looks like you're right, according to KFFL:

Steelers | Legursky to work out
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:42:33 -0700

Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, report the Pittsburgh Steelers will work out free-agent C Doug Legursky (Steelers). The Steelers are considering signing him to their practice squad.

lilyoder6
09-30-2008, 05:23 PM
well the thing that scares me is that how badly is the achilles of simmons.. b/c that is the HARDEST injury to come back from..

steelpride12
09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow i can actually say this bye week cannot come any sooner.