PDA

View Full Version : Coaches calling Time Outs

the_king_from_leon
09-30-2008, 04:29 AM
I thought that the Defence played us out of a tough spot last night, the offence looked awful in the majority of the 1st half but started to play some football in the second.

The main issue I have with last nights game was when there was the call for Time Out from Mike Tomlin which denied us a Touchdown....this isnt the first time this has happened with Tomlin and I am finding it really hard to understand his decisions to call Time Outs at the last second before the play and get it wrong!

It nearly cost us the game last night and that would have been a ridiculiously annoying situation to have lost due to calling a Time out!

Blitzburgh_Fever
09-30-2008, 04:53 AM
I thought that the Defence played us out of a tough spot last night, the offence looked awful in the majority of the 1st half but started to play some football in the second.

The main issue I have with last nights game was when there was the call for Time Out from Mike Tomlin which denied us a Touchdown....this isnt the first time this has happened with Tomlin and I am finding it really hard to understand his decisions to call Time Outs at the last second before the play and get it wrong!

It nearly cost us the game last night and that would have been a ridiculiously annoying situation to have lost due to calling a Time out!

Marvel Smith was hurt, in pain, the coaches saw something Ben didn't. The "negate a touchdown" argument doesn't hold, you can clearly see the Ravens D stop playing about two seconds into the play (when the refs start blowing the whistle). I'm watching the play on my TiVo at 11:52 in the 4th, over and over, and it's clear the Ravens D stops.

In the previous play, Smith got twisted on the ground with his legs underneath him. The coaches probably figured it was best to be careful when your line is fairly shallow in depth, something that's hard to argue with.

the_king_from_leon
09-30-2008, 05:10 AM
I can understand the argument put forward, my only thought was that if Marvel Smith went up to the line of scrimmage he clearly wanted to get involved in that play, if he was injured he would have signalled over to the coaches before going up the the line.

This is the second time that it has happened and I definately think that it would have been a different game had the play gone ahead

Blitzburgh_Fever
09-30-2008, 05:17 AM
I can understand the argument put forward, my only thought was that if Marvel Smith went up to the line of scrimmage he clearly wanted to get involved in that play, if he was injured he would have signalled over to the coaches before going up the the line.

This is the second time that it has happened and I definately think that it would have been a different game had the play gone ahead

I watched it over and over, and Smith lined up normal and even held his man during he play, he seemed fine to play and never seemed to waive anyone over. I'm only going off the announcers, and Kornheiser is an idiot, Jaws usually favors one team heavily, and Tirico locks onto players and doesn't pay much attention to the game it feels.

flbeliever
09-30-2008, 07:27 AM
I couldn't agree with you more, I told my wife the same thing. This seems to be a bad habit of Tomlins. I think he just freaks out and call's a timeout cause he thinks it's just some kind of "coaching" thing that he should do to try and make himself feel like he's doing an adequate job. I'm not buying it! He just stands on the sidelines and specatates. I'm telling you guys, he's not that good of a head coach. He just doesn't seem to know what to do, and then, as in these situations, just does the wrong thing when he does do something. Marvel Smith wasn't hurt, quit making excuses for bad coaching. Last weeks debacle was about 80 percent coaching error as well. At least Arians stood up admitted such, but I don't think he should of taken all the blame either. I've yet to hear Tomlin admit any mistakes on his part. I'm sorry guys, he might be a good guy and all, but I don't see him successful as the Steelers, (or any other teams) head coach. I think he's probably a great players coach, but not much else.:helmet:::tt02:

Hapa
09-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Marvel Smith was hurt.... he's on the IR now. Better that the coaches take him out than that Achilles injury becomes a full blown tear.

X-Terminator
09-30-2008, 07:33 AM
I couldn't agree with you more, I told my wife the same thing. This seems to be a bad habit of Tomlins. I think he just freaks out and call's a timeout cause he thinks it's just some kind of "coaching" thing that he should do to try and make himself feel like he's doing an adequate job. I'm not buying it! He just stands on the sidelines and specatates. I'm telling you guys, he's not that good of a head coach. He just doesn't seem to know what to do, and then, as in these situations, just does the wrong thing when he does do something. Marvel Smith wasn't hurt, quit making excuses for bad coaching. Last weeks debacle was about 80 percent coaching error as well. At least Arians stood up admitted such, but I don't think he should of taken all the blame either. I've yet to hear Tomlin admit any mistakes on his part. I'm sorry guys, he might be a good guy and all, but I don't see him successful as the Steelers, (or any other teams) head coach. I think he's probably a great players coach, but not much else.:helmet:::tt02:

:doh:

He's 4 friggin games into his 2nd season as a HC. He's still learning on the job. What the hell do you want? Bill Cowher was 9-7 in his second season as HC. Did you say back then that he'd never be successful? I bet you did.

Give the man a chance, for God's sake.

7/39/43
09-30-2008, 07:34 AM
don't like Tomlin has hurt 2x's by doing that

X-Terminator
09-30-2008, 07:35 AM
OK, let's just fire Tomlin right now then.

Good GOD Steelers fans have no damn patience whatsoever!

the_king_from_leon
09-30-2008, 07:42 AM
OK, let's just fire Tomlin right now then.

Good GOD Steelers fans have no damn patience whatsoever!

I actually think that Mike Tomlin is a very good coach and he will definately come into his own with time, Im just not enjoying seeing him calling these Time Outs just before the snap which seems to cost us, luckily it hasnt lost us the game but it can be a matter of time. Last night we got lucky that we won it in the end but this wouldnt have been the case had the Time Out not been called.

I want to see Mike Tomlin for years to come coaching us, I just dont want to see him calling a time out that will cost us

HometownGal
09-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Holy Mother of God - I can't bring myself to even address this nonsense. :shake02:

Mosca
09-30-2008, 08:25 AM

I disagree on two points. First, Tomlin doesn't call the plays, so he's not standing with a play card getting involved in the tactics of the game.

Second, Tomlin NEVER shucks the blame. EVER. It is not parat of his makeup, as I have seen, to do anything other than accept total responsibility. I'd go so far as to say he thrives on taking responsibility.

As far as him being any good, I won't dispute your opinion; it's your opinion. My take is that 4 games into his second season is far too early to pass judgment. Talk to me after seven seasons. But I'll say that the guy is no Romeo Crennell.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
A division championship in his first season.

3-1, division leaders four games into his second season.

Who would you rather having coaching the team, Romeo Crenell? Marvin Lewis? Scott Linenhan?

I know, we're all used to Cowher being fired up, spittle flying as he screamed, stuffing the photo of a play into a refs pocket. But that's not Tomlin.

revefsreleets
09-30-2008, 09:13 AM
LOL! Fire Tomlin! Fire Arians! Fire them all! ARGHHHHHHHHH!

the_king_from_leon
09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
I think there is only one guy on this thread who is annoyed with Tomlin....I like the guy and think he is a great coach, I also think he should be with us for a long time to come.

My only concern is the way in which he calls the time out just before the snap which has resulted in us loosing 4 points last night, also earlier in the year we had got a 1st down and had to replay that one as well.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
I think there is only one guy on this thread who is annoyed with Tomlin....I like the guy and think he is a great coach, I also think he should be with us for a long time to come.

My only concern is the way in which he calls the time out just before the snap which has resulted in us loosing 4 points last night, also earlier in the year we had got a 1st down and had to replay that one as well.

Moore would have taken the short pass for a TD, and the Ravens defense stopped playing right after the whistle was blown so there was no attempt to even stop Moore. It didn't take points away because the defense quit right after the whistle.

The_WARDen
09-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Marvel Smith was hurt.... he's on the IR now. Better that the coaches take him out than that Achilles injury becomes a full blown tear.

Simmons is the one on IR for clarification...

STEELtownHAVOX
09-30-2008, 12:32 PM

lol

ChronoCross
09-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Tomlin is a young good coach who is learning. The timeout deals he has pulled he has to change because it is killing me also. Tomlin will be around 10 plus years and he will get us another SB. Be patient young jedi's.

flbeliever
09-30-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm stickin to my guns on this one, and you all can hate me if you want to, but I've got an uncanny knack for seeing things as they are. I've been a Steeler fan since birth by the way (age 42 now) Heck I've even got the tattoo. I bleed, eat drink and sleep black and gold and NOTHING comes between me and my beloved Steelers! Not even Mike Tomlin. You guys take note of these two posts, and talk to me in another couple of years, being that we're committed to this guy for at least that long. I'm no professional sports team owner, but I am a thinker! I'm just telling ya'll, MARK MY WORDS! He won't last ten years in Pittsburgh. (and no, it's not because he's black, for any of yuns thinking thats why I'm saying this) I don't care what his record is. He's coaching a championship caliber team right now, in case you forgot. Look at Chucky down there in Tampa. I said the same thing about him, but oh, no! He came in and led the Bucs to a super bowl, so now all of a sudden he's all that. He led Tony Dungys team to a super bowl! Since then he ain't done squat. Same thing goes for Tomlin. Just watch and see.

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm stickin to my guns on this one, and you all can hate me if you want to, but I've got an uncanny knack for seeing things as they are. I've been a Steeler fan since birth by the way (age 42 now) Heck I've even got the tattoo. I bleed, eat drink and sleep black and gold and NOTHING comes between me and my beloved Steelers! Not even Mike Tomlin. You guys take note of these two posts, and talk to me in another couple of years, being that we're committed to this guy for at least that long. I'm no professional sports team owner, but I am a thinker! I'm just telling ya'll, MARK MY WORDS! He won't last ten years in Pittsburgh. (and no, it's not because he's black, for any of yuns thinking thats why I'm saying this) I don't care what his record is. He's coaching a championship caliber team right now, in case you forgot. Look at Chucky down there in Tampa. I said the same thing about him, but oh, no! He came in and led the Bucs to a super bowl, so now all of a sudden he's all that. He led Tony Dungys team to a super bowl! Since then he ain't done squat. Same thing goes for Tomlin. Just watch and see.

What were you saying during Cowher's 1st 13 years before the SB win but after all the heartbreaking AFCCG losses (at home, no less) and the heartbreaking SB loss to the Cowboys? How about his last year where he and the team pretty much mailed it in and took the season off?

X-Terminator
09-30-2008, 02:14 PM

Oh I'll remember them all right. You can bet the house on that.

I just don't understand this Tomlin hatred all of a sudden. Oh wait, yes I do - Steelers fans don't have any patience. I nearly forgot!

RoethlisBURGHer
09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Tomlin won't last 10 years? Does this guy realize that Steelers ownership has not fired a head coach since the 1968 football season?

As long as Tomlin doesn't let this team become the Bengals talent and criminal wise, he'll stay the HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers until he too resigns.

I like Tomlin so far, he's done nothing to make me want him fired.

Some people seem to think the Steelers are entitled to the Super Bowl every year. I expect the Super Bowl every year, but I also am level headed enough to know we won't win it every single season.

As long as the Steelers are contending for Super Bowls, I'll be content. I just hope we get a few more than one out of Tomlin.

stlrtruck
09-30-2008, 02:50 PM

As much as I dislike Gruden as a coach, he has had the team in the playoffs 2/4 years since winning the Super Bowl. Not great numbers but he's still getting the job done down here. But you're also comparing too different styles of coaching. Gruden is more of a Cowher type - emotional. Tomlin is not and that's not necessarily a bad thing. As for Tomlin lasting 10 years in Pittsburgh, I think you're right, he won't last 10 years, he'll last about 15 or so - or as long as he wants to coach here.

BTW, look up, the sky isn't falling!!!

OneForTheToe
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
The only two ways Tomlin doesn't last 10 years is if there is a finacial inpass with his contract, or if the majority of the franchise is sold to an outside interst. In that senerio, all bets are off.

VTsteel
09-30-2008, 06:43 PM

No, I am sorry my friend, you are incorrect. Mike Tomlin is a good coach.