PDA

View Full Version : Hold Ben Out a Week?

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I noticed the ball sailing high on many of Ben's passes last night, and the 3 stooges in the booth even commented how his right hand was swollen and that he was shaking others' hands with his left hand (one of the few worthwhile things that was mentioned during the entire broadcast). I think the ball squirting out of his hand for the INT was a direct result of the swelling as well, and I believe it's impeding his grip on the ball. Since Leftwich knows JAX pretty well, do we think about starting him next week and holding Ben out to give him an extra week of rest going into the bye?

tony hipchest
09-30-2008, 11:32 AM
whew. thats risky. no running backs and no ben? i say play it conservative with ben and wait for the bye week. we will need our best 11 on the field. however, maybe a package for dixon of 8-10 snaps.... :scratchchin:

Mosca
09-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Hmmm Jax plays Ben tough, too...

Naw. He's our multimillion dollar guy. We ride this horse, he's our best shot.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-30-2008, 11:33 AM
And let leadfoot Leftwich stand there against their blitz?

I say limit Ben in practice and let him play. He's the best player on offense, so our best chance to win is with him playing.

MACH1
09-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Thats a tough call. Personally I think I'd wait a few more days to make that call. The swelling might go down by the end of the week.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I for one like the suggestion. Leftwich starting in the place that cut him last week??....I love it.

I doubt that it happens though.

FourThreeMafia
09-30-2008, 11:37 AM
We have a bye week coming up after next week.

If he is good enough to play, you have to play him. We need this win against Jacksonville considering our upcoming schedule.

cubanstogie
09-30-2008, 11:38 AM
I noticed the ball sailing high on many of Ben's passes last night, and the 3 stooges in the booth even commented how his right hand was swollen and that was shaking others' hands with his left hand (one of the few worthwhile things that was mentioned during the entire broadcast). I think the ball squirting out of his hand for the INT was a result of the swelling as well, and I believe it's impeding his grip on the ball. Since Leftwich knows JAX pretty well, do we think about starting him next week and holding Ben out to give him an extra week of rest going into the bye?

The good thing is a bye week after Jax. This is a huge game for us and I think if Ben is as healthy as last night he plays. Hopefully is hand will improve over 6 days. I don't think you can be paying a guy that kind of money and play a backup. If we lost, Tomlin would be scrutinized. It sounds good in theory and in a perfect scenario we play Byron, we win and Ben gets 2 weeks rest. I just don't see it happening. IF his hand is not any better I would love to see Leftwich give Ben a rest. I still think we could win.

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 11:38 AM
I for one like the suggestion. Leftwich starting in the place that cut him last week??....I love it.

I doubt that it happens though.

If we'd lost last night and fell to 2-2, I wouldn't even have suggested it. I doubt it happens too, but I think it's worth considering, especially if the swelling doesn't recede significantly during the week. I also think Leftwich would love to stick it to the team that gave up on him in their own back yard.

steelreserve
09-30-2008, 11:50 AM
We need Ben to play. The running game is going to suck this week, so we're going to have to win through the air. I'd rather try to do that with Ben than not.

X-Terminator
09-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I noticed the ball sailing high on many of Ben's passes last night, and the 3 stooges in the booth even commented how his right hand was swollen and that he was shaking others' hands with his left hand (one of the few worthwhile things that was mentioned during the entire broadcast). I think the ball squirting out of his hand for the INT was a direct result of the swelling as well, and I believe it's impeding his grip on the ball. Since Leftwich knows JAX pretty well, do we think about starting him next week and holding Ben out to give him an extra week of rest going into the bye?

I understand the thinking, but as others have said, with the bye coming up the following week, it's best to just play him if the swelling doesn't go down enough and let him rest up then.

As for RoethlisBURGHer's point about Jacksonville's D - they are not known as a blitzing team. They funnel everything through their front 4 and try to generate pressure from them. They may incorporate more of them this week, but it's not their bread and butter.

revefsreleets
09-30-2008, 12:04 PM
That's interesting. It's not a half bad idea...you know Lefty's gonna be playing lights out to show up his old team, and we've traditionally not fared very well against Jacksonville, especially as of late.

SteelMember
09-30-2008, 12:12 PM
That's interesting. It's not a half bad idea...you know Lefty's gonna be playing lights out to show up his old team, and we've traditionally not fared very well against Jacksonville, especially as of late.

For just this reason I believe Ben will play.

I'm sure he'd like to get shot at this team. Still a sour taste in his mouth after that playoff game last year.:noidea:

I'm not sure how bad the hand is, but the int. pass in question looked like he was just too far in his motion to bring it back. Looked like he should have just thrown the deep ball on the first pump. Holmes seemed to be all alone in the replay from the endzone view. There may have been a safety out of frame though.

revefsreleets
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
That being said, there's also no chance of this actually happening. If Ben refused to sit after his head was all smashed in from a windshield, he's certainly not going to sit out because his hand hurts.

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 12:19 PM
That being said, there's also no chance of this actually happening. If Ben refused to sit after his head was all smashed in from a windshield, he's certainly not going to sit out because his hand hurts.

Absolutely - it was more just me thinking out loud. You always start your best 11 available. And like Tony said, it would be a huge gamble with our RB corps so depleted. But it would be a huge payoff if it was actually tried and it worked.

EAST-LA-STEELER
09-30-2008, 12:21 PM
WOW, I THINK LEFTWICH IS GOOD ENOUGH TO HANDLE IT, I BEEN WAITING FOR TOMLIN TO PUT HIM IN, AND NOTHING I THINK A WHOLE GAME IS TOO MUCH THO, MAYBE 1ST AND 3RD QUARTER..

Hapa
09-30-2008, 12:45 PM
We should play Ben just because he makes the whole team better, even if his passes are a little off.

STEELtownHAVOX
09-30-2008, 12:46 PM
no question, play him.

scsteeler
09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Unless something happens and Ben can't go he will be playing. Byron L. starting is not a bad idea and he knows the Jacksonville team so that can be a plus but Ben gives us out best chance of winning.

The key will be how the Steeler offensive play calling is. I hope that we implement a game plan that takes advantage of an aggressive Defense, If you it is run properly screen plays to moore will be very effective.

MrHarrison92
09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Nah. there was one play when Ben got sacked and they were saying how hey should have thrown the ball but the receiver wasnt turning his head so it would have been a bad play cause the defense would have been able to make an easy pick! But Ben's getting a little better with time. He'll have a week to rest it and get it better. But we do need to get him protection! This offensive line cant keep this guy protected! We've got a lot of work to do if we want to make it to the post season!!!!!

ChronoCross
09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Ben knows how to pick that Jags defense apart, we just need to rely on are defense to play its part when it comes down to the stretch of the game to keep us in it. Problem as usual we have injuries on that line again which might effect us in stopping and containing. And hope Lebeau does not play any prevent defense this up coming game. And put the pressure on all 60mins.

STEELtownHAVOX
09-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Ben knows how to pick that Jags defense apart,

haha, and Mathis knows how to pick Ben off too! Let's finally beat the "Down South Steelers":helmet:

Steelman16
09-30-2008, 04:00 PM
It's an interesting thought, '76. I've been somewhat of an advocate of playing Lefty a game or two if Ben has some lingering issues that hampers his play.

However, he did whip that ball to Santonio in pretty tight coverage for the TD, so maybe that INT was just a matter of letting loose when he didn't want to do so. Plus, I agree that our entire team will be out for blood this week, and you have to play the best you've got.

But if Ben can't play, I don't think it's the end of the world, and that Lefty would do just fine, if not great against his former team.

My only concern at this point is the running personnel. (or lack thereof)

OneForTheToe
09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
I just hope he doesn't aggrevate the hand injury more. I noticed his passes were tyrown on an arc more than usual. It could just be that the swelling is maiking it hard to feel the ball in his hand.

I'd rather have him sit out now than be out later in the season, but I know it won't happen. Just like Rivers played with the torn ACL, Ben will play with his injured hand consequences be damned.

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 04:29 PM
I just hope he doesn't aggrevate the hand injury more. I noticed his passes were tyrown on an arc more than usual. It could just be that the swelling is maiking it hard to feel the ball in his hand.

Was it just me, or did he also seem to almost bobble a couple of those snaps when we were in the shotgun as well, like he was shielding his right hand from the force of the snap?

pittsburghp8baller
09-30-2008, 04:33 PM
whew. thats risky. no running backs and no ben? i say play it conservative with ben and wait for the bye week. we will need our best 11 on the field. however, maybe a package for dixon of 8-10 snaps.... :scratchchin:

i completely agree with everything there, if there is a perfect time to thorw Dixon into the game, its gotta be here.

we are gonna need Ben to win this game, if he can play we are gonna need him to play. i can see Dixon def getting his first snaps of his career this year though to try and give Ben some rest. maybe if we throw them both out there it could take some pressure off of Ben

OneForTheToe
09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Was it just me, or did he also seem to almost bobble a couple of those snaps when we were in the shotgun as well, like he was shielding his right hand from the force of the snap?

He is clearly not healthy. Either the hand (most likely) or the shoulder, or the knee, or ........ take your pick. Too bad he is not abedextrix(sp). Good news is we are 3-1 with a week off after Sunday. Got to root for Jeff Fisher and the Titans. Luv ya Blue (this week), make the Ravens never more.

lilyoder6
09-30-2008, 05:16 PM
with mendenhall going on the ir and such.. be nice time to get evry one healthy again in the bye week and according to the gazette dookie cominig back.. but get a new rb in there and get him going with the off

iloveben7
09-30-2008, 05:40 PM
we NEED Ben to win this game. Not to dwell on the past, but look how Ben brought us back into the playoff game last year, and if the defense would've just stopped the Jags on 4th down, we would've won.

steelwall
09-30-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm for it if we go up by 17 points by late 3rd quarter. If not Leftwich rides the pine the whole game.

hizmi
09-30-2008, 06:40 PM
If we're gonna give him a week off, I think it should be against the Bungals after the bye.

We're going to need him against Jax, and while I don't mean to overlook the Bungals, I think we should beat them even without big ben.

Potsie
09-30-2008, 06:47 PM
If we're gonna give him a week off, I think it should be against the Bungals after the bye.

We're going to need him against Jax, and while I don't mean to overlook the Bungals, I think we should beat them even without big ben.

I agree. I don't think it makes sense to give Ben a break against an AFC opponent, especially since we have a bye the following week. I think that the game is going to end up in Ben's hands, and I don't know that Leftwich would be able to do a whole lot more than simply manage the game.

I think it's pretty crucial that we can make it to the bye 4-1, we need the rest.

steelpride12
09-30-2008, 06:49 PM
See we have a good record, but not much to spare at least not against a Jags team we struggle against home or away.
Without Willie or even Mendy there won't be much to back up Leftwich if he gets himself into trouble.

Great thought though and i truly think if Ben needs a game off the bungles would be the team to do it against.

Ozman58
09-30-2008, 06:52 PM
If batch could play I might consider this for longer than the .05 seconds i gave it thought. Sorry negative Ghost Rider. We need to have a legit passing offense until we can determine the extent of the damage to the run game in a live situation.

if we are up 28 at halftime next week? sit him.

stillers4me
09-30-2008, 07:44 PM
No way would Ben even consider sitting out.

BTW......did anyone else catch that "bionic man" image thing that they used last night to show all of Ben's supposed injuries? :chuckle:

Edman
09-30-2008, 07:56 PM
The Jaguars have a pretty mediocre pass defense. Ben has picked them apart in the past. It's all a matter of not giving Jacksonville any gifts like in the playoff game.

steel striker
09-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I think Ben would lobby to start no matter injuries he has. I agree 76 he did mishandle a few snaps but, he did lead us to victory. Also the announce crew on espn mainly kornheiser went from beating the steelers down to saying what a resilient team this is in a matter of 15 seconds.
I'm more concered about our oline and rb problem. Hopefully they can get it under control against the jags. The jags have not been playing real great as well. I still think we can beat them.

jjpro11
09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
you dont give him off this week.. that is what next week is for.. we need to win as many games as we can (how obvious).. but ben gives us the best chance to win. he would never sit out any way. remember the concussion fiasco vs oakland? he was in no condition to play then but forced his way into starting.

Edman
09-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Ben doesn't have a concussion and he's not coming off appendectomy surgery.

If he can play, play him.