PDA

View Full Version : Dookie Back in Black...and Gold.

SteelMember
09-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Steelers bringing back Davenport
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have brought back running back Najeh Davenport with the intention of signing him to their 53-man roster to replace injured rookie Rashard Mendenhall, who is out for the remainder of the season with a fractured shoulder.

Davenport was brought in for a workout today and, if all goes well, he will probably be signed and get ready to play in Sunday's game in Jacksonville.

Davenport, 29, played two seasons with the Steelers until he was released in June. He started the final game of the regular season and the playoff loss to the Jaguars last season when Willie Parker fractured his fibula in Week 15.

Mendenhall was injured on the first play of the second half when he was hit by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis after a 3-yard gain. The Steelers finished the game with just one healthy running back -- Mewelde Moore -- after Carey Davis left the game with a sprained ankle.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
First published on September 30, 2008 at 11:12 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08274/916247-66.stm

steelreserve
09-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, that was certainly a mediocre move. Looks like we'll get a couple weeks with absolutely NO running game, then it's back to Parker off tackle for 1 yard, Parker up the middle for no gain, incomplete pass, punt.

MACH1
09-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Ohh please no. :doh:

cubanstogie
09-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Well, that was certainly a mediocre move. Looks like we'll get a couple weeks with absolutely NO running game, then it's back to Parker off tackle for 1 yard, Parker up the middle for no gain, incomplete pass, punt.

maybe we see a hungrier Davenport. I personally like him, especially out of the backfield catching the ball. He had some good games for us.

X-Terminator
09-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey, he's a healthy body and knows the offense. Besides, does anyone know who out there is better?

kmsteelerwr15
09-30-2008, 11:51 AM

you know they were just bringing in someone who knows the O and if what i saw in the sencond half from the offense is any indication i think we are gonna be fine, Ben got the ball out quick, they used short dump offs and slants, and the o-line blocked great. :tt02:

HometownGal
09-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm OK with this move. Pooper knows the offense and really isn't as bad as some of you make him out to be. He's no regular starter, admittedly, but I think he'll fill in the gap nicely until FWP can come back healthy and strong.

steelreserve
09-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey, he's a healthy body and knows the offense. Besides, does anyone know who out there is better?

A few names on this list seem to jump out, although it looks a month or two out of date:

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=RB&y=2008

Is Cedric Benson still a free agent, or is there something horribly wrong with him that I forgot about?

revefsreleets
09-30-2008, 11:58 AM
He's probably kept in pretty good shape by beating on his girlfriend daily...

Did I just say that????

blkngld68
09-30-2008, 12:05 PM
A healthy back who won't need much to get up to speed is quite alright with me. If anyone else was brought in(other than someone from the practice squad), it would take atleast a week to get the offensive scheme down.Only question will be his stamina and if his heart will be in it.

Edman
09-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Here's to watching the running game crumble, forcing Ben to work magic on 3rd and long. Just like late last year. Dookie is good for a few catches out of the back field. But he runs soft.

Get well soon, Willie.

RunWillieRun
09-30-2008, 12:06 PM
He's probably kept in pretty good shape by beating on his girlfriend daily...

Did I just say that????

OH SNAP!!

kochmanski
09-30-2008, 12:19 PM
GARY RUSSELL!!!! GARY RUSSELL!!!! GARY RUSSELL!!!! GARY RUSSELL!!!! GARY RUSSELL!!!! GARY RUSSELL!!!! GARY RUSSELL!!!! GARY RUSSELL!!!!

Seriously! They have to bring him up, now!

cubanstogie
09-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Here's to watching the running game crumble, forcing Ben to work magic on 3rd and long. Just like late last year. Dookie is good for a few catches out of the back field. But he runs soft.

Get well soon, Willie.

soft or not, he averaged close to 5 yds a carry if a recall. He is not Jerome Bettis but will work as a band aid. Which is what he will be. Willie will be back soon, and Moore was impressive in his short stint last night.

Mosca
09-30-2008, 12:28 PM
He's not as good as the guys we kept, but he's better than anyone else we could consider, ESPECIALLY Cedric "Poison" Benson and Shaun Alexander.

LVSteelersfan
09-30-2008, 12:34 PM
I can't believe all the threads I read last night saying to bring in Alexander or Benson. They are both done. Stick a fork in them. Dookie is an ok move. He is not the best there is, but he is at least serviceable. Mewelde Moore showed last night why he should be our Brian Westbrook. I have been infuriated the last two weeks that they didn't use him. Now all the Moore bashers can see that he is actually a very good player. He was being bashed because ARIANS wouldn't use him. Not his fault.

steelreserve
09-30-2008, 12:36 PM
He's not as good as the guys we kept, but he's better than anyone else we could consider, ESPECIALLY Cedric "Poison" Benson and Shaun Alexander.

I don't know about that. Seems like Benson and Alexander are both better runners than Dookie, and what we need for the next 12 weeks or so is a hired gun who can run the ball hard to complement/relieve Parker. We don't need someone who comes in just to be a role player or an upstanding pillar of the community (not that Dookie really did that either).

Bottom line is, we know what we're getting in Davenport: A guy who runs just as soft as Parker, but with less speed. That doesn't help us very much. I don't care; I'd take Benson, and let him get 7 DUIs after the season if he wants; he won't be our problem anymore.

Hapa
09-30-2008, 12:49 PM
How did he get the nickname Dookie?

STEELtownHAVOX
09-30-2008, 12:50 PM
welcome back najeh.

willie and carey, get healthy soon.

'shard, good luck on your recovery.

mewelde, tear it up!

jjpro11
09-30-2008, 12:50 PM
i dont know what you guys were expecting to happen last night.. as soon as mendenhall was announced he would be put on IR, i knew davenport was coming back. this happens time and time again in the nfl.. when a guy goes down, the team calls up a player they had previously released because they know the offense and can make more of an immediate impact than anyone else on the waiver wire. shaun alexander? cedric benson? those guys are beyond finished. benson might end up being suspended if he is brought back anyhow because of his legal troubles. alexander is a b!tch and always will be. i dont want him in the black and gold.

Mosca
09-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't know about that. Seems like Benson and Alexander are both better runners than Dookie, and what we need for the next 12 weeks or so is a hired gun who can run the ball hard to complement/relieve Parker. We don't need someone who comes in just to be a role player or an upstanding pillar of the community (not that Dookie really did that either).

Bottom line is, we know what we're getting in Davenport: A guy who runs just as soft as Parker, but with less speed. That doesn't help us very much. I don't care; I'd take Benson, and let him get 7 DUIs after the season if he wants; he won't be our problem anymore.

Benson is a malcontent who expects everyone to lay down for him; he doesn't run hard. Alexander can't and won't block. Davenport had some good games and some rough ones, but he knows the system, he knows where he is supposed to be and when, and he will block. When Parker comes back we will basically have the same backfield that we ran quite well with last year, + Moore who played pretty decently last night.

SteelMember
09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
How did he get the nickname Dookie?

I don't know who coined it, but he was accused of breaking into a university dormitory and defecating in a woman's closet.

He denied the accusation. :poop:

"If the shit don't fit, you must aquit." :sofunny:

Or something like that.

stlrtruck
09-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Is this where I get to say, "FIRE THE FRONT OFFICE!"

Seriously, Dookie? Seriously? I would have rather had Alexander instead of Dookie. Are you telling me there was no one available other than Dookie? Is the list of RB FAs that low or is it that dookie knows the system?

cubanstogie
09-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Seriously, Dookie? Seriously? I would have rather had Alexander instead of Dookie. Are you telling me there was no one available other than Dookie? Is the list of RB FAs that low or is it that dookie knows the system?

Bottom line, we are not going to be a dominant running team this year as in years past. Ben is going to have to throw 27 plus times, which will then open up our running game. Dookie will do as good job as anyone available. With our o-line problems it doesn't matter who is behind Ben. I think our coaching staff is going to have to get creative with our offense.
On a seperate note, why don't we run screens anymore. We did have one reverse. Moore should be a good screen RB. I would love to see more of them, heck I would love to see 1 or 2. I can't recall 1 screen this year.

STEELtownHAVOX
09-30-2008, 01:18 PM
You all are also making as if Najeh will be starting from this point on. He is going to spell Willie whenever he is back healthy after the bye week. Mewelde will still be the third down back and Carey will come in sporadically like he has been. Seriously, this is a good move.

Hines0wnz
09-30-2008, 01:31 PM

:poop: on Parker?

At least have something original once in a while. :coffee:

Seems like Benson and Alexander are both better runners than Dookie,

:toofunny: :chuckle: :rofl: :laughing: :popcorn: :thumbsup:

ChronoCross
09-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Dookie is a good pickup and a big back that can be used good against the Jags defense to wear them down for Moore to come in and burn them. Its only one week and after the bye week we get parker back and then we have parker, dookie, moore and possible davis back. I have yet to read the extent of davis injury on his ankle. Plus Dookie is great on STS.

The_WARDen
09-30-2008, 01:36 PM

You have to believe! GO STEELERS!!! Wooo Dookie!!!

:coffee:

MrHarrison92
09-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Screw that! Personally I never really liked that guy. Moore looked pretty good in his 4th Quarter appearance, start him!

X-Terminator
09-30-2008, 01:39 PM

You can grow up any time now. Don't act like an immature child because you got called out for giving up before the first half ended.

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 01:40 PM

3-13 here we come! We completely suck ass! Fire Tomlin, Arians, and the Rooneys! As a Steelers fan, I demand and am entitled to nothing less than absolute perfection every week and every year, and if I don't get it, I'm gonna hold my breath until I turn blue, dammit!

Steelerstrength
09-30-2008, 01:40 PM
To use the offensive football analogy:
No one was open so we went for the "dump-off". :doh:

ChronoCross
09-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Screw that! Personally I never really liked that guy. Moore looked pretty good in his 4th Quarter appearance, start him!

You may not of like him but on 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2, dookie was getting us first downs with a 4.5 ypc. And were out of RBs, would you rather call up Verron Haynes.. lol..

steelersfanman92
09-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Is Russel still a FA or did someone pick him up, I was not happy when we got rid of him but I figured he is already gone

ChronoCross
09-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Is Russel still a FA or did someone pick him up, I was not happy when we got rid of him but I figured he is already gone

Russell is on the practice squad. We only have to bring him up.

tony hipchest
09-30-2008, 01:46 PM
welcome back Senior Pinchaloaf.

mewelde has proven he can start and carry the load with the vikings. plus he's pretty much a willie parker clone. dookies starts are less impressive. hopefully tomlin gives him old role as 3rd down back and elevates moore. (but i doubt it)

Dino 6 Rings
09-30-2008, 02:01 PM
I really don't like this move. Never was a Najeh fan and hate bringing people back.

Is Rudi Johnson still on the market? He'd love 2 chances to run against the Bengals and is familiar with the AFCNorth...just saying...

Sharkissle29
09-30-2008, 02:10 PM
why does everyone refer to davenport as different "fecal" matters? have i missed something? i've always wondered that lol....

MrHarrison92
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Sign him! hes better than DOOKIE

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 02:15 PM
why does everyone refer to davenport as different "fecal" matters? have i missed something? i've always wondered that lol....

The "Legend of Dookie (http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0708/1403417.html)":

Miami -- Green Bay Packers fullback Najeh Davenport was arrested Monday, accused of breaking into a university dormitory and defecating in a woman's closet.

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

steelreserve
09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
:poop: on Parker?

At least have something original once in a while. :coffee:

Well, what do you want me to say? We've had the same exact problem with our running game for three years, and Parker hasn't learned to be a power rusher in the meantime. I don't think we brought in two new halfbacks because the coaches and FO thought we weer fine with just him back there.

Also don't get the rofling about Benson or Alexander being better at carrying the ball than Dookie. Are you kidding? All he proved while he was here is that he's ineffective and inconsistent. At least the other guys have a roll-of-the-dice chance of being productive. Forget "knowing the offense" -- if you're not very good anyway, it doesn't matter if you've been here before or not.

MasterOfPuppets
09-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Dookie is a good pickup and a big back that can be used good against the Jags defense to wear them down for Moore to come in and burn them. Its only one week and after the bye week we get parker back and then we have parker, dookie, moore and possible davis back. I have yet to read the extent of davis injury on his ankle. Plus Dookie is great on STS.
:rofl:....yeah ....like he did in the playoffs last year.

but at least he can catch

Steelman16
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Dookie's servicable, and that's all we need. We're not talking about our new longterm starter folks...

I was very impressed with Moore, and I think it would be wise for the Steelers to capitolize on what he brings to the table. I wouldn't mind seeing Moore as the starter next week against Jacksonville.

OneForTheToe
09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Dookie will be seviceable. He's no stinker. Or wait, maybe he is.:noidea:

Wow, I missed that.

Sure am glad he is back.:thumbsup:

PisnNapalm
09-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Hey diddle diddle Parker up the middle. :flap:

hizmi
09-30-2008, 06:31 PM
The dump truck will be just fine

I wouldn't be surprised to see our run game become more efficient since defenses (for once) will be concentrating on the pass. Expect more draw plays, quick dives, reverses, endarounds etc. to take advantage of the extra space

steelpride12
09-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't mind having Dookie back one bit. He knows the offense and he can def. go out and have a good game.
He is temporary anyway and lets just cheer him on and hope he plays well!

VTsteel
09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
I gotta believe Mewelde Moore and Gary Russell will get more of the load until Parker comes back after the bye. Dookie is simply insurance.

Ozman58
09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow, if there was one move worse than Alexander, this was it.

steelers2685
09-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Can anyone say Byron 'BAM' Morris comeback? :noidea: :thumbsup: :laughing:

Ozman58
09-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Can anyone say Byron 'BAM' Morris comeback? :noidea: :thumbsup: :laughing:

I don't think you can work therapy and rehab into contract terms can you?

steelpride12
09-30-2008, 07:48 PM
I gotta believe Mewelde Moore and Gary Russell will get more of the load until Parker comes back after the bye. Dookie is simply insurance.

Gary Russell was cut.

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Gary Russell was cut.

He's on the PS.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 09:05 PM
You all are also making as if Najeh will be starting from this point on. He is going to spell Willie whenever he is back healthy after the bye week. Mewelde will still be the third down back and Carey will come in sporadically like he has been. Seriously, this is a good move.

Great point!!

Parker should be back after the Jax game and it will be his ball to run for the next 11 games if he can stay healthy. Expect to see Moore and either Davenport or Russell get the rest of the carries, but not the feature position.

blkngld68
09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Rudi Johnson signed with the Lions, so he has been condemed to hell.

NV STEELERS 723
09-30-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm OK with this move. Pooper knows the offense and really isn't as bad as some of you make him out to be. He's no regular starter, admittedly, but I think he'll fill in the gap nicely until FWP can come back healthy and strong.

Once again I agree w/ the Lady !:drink:

lilyoder6
09-30-2008, 10:17 PM
but with the short week and all do u think that dookie will get a lot of carries???? i rly don't see him getting many carries or any at all.. but with davis being questionable.. russell could get promoted and be the number 2 guy

Crushzilla
09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I had zero objections to Mewelde Moore being Ben's featured target late in the game. I hope they can finally work this (as someone else had compared) Westbrook-esq approach into our offense.

As for Davenport, are you guys serious?

A.) You HONESTLY thought they were going to sign someone else?

B.) I would love Shaun Alexander OR Cedric Benson if it were 2005.

What's the appeal with Alexander? In fact, THIS snub by the Steelers may be the one that pushes Alexander into retirement. There is a reason why he hasn't been signed. I don't know if people want to just see him retire in black and gold for legacy factor or what. Its bizarre.

I have no interest in building a "Madden 09 Dream Team" just because the guy one an MVP once.

Gimme the Poopman.

Galax Steeler
10-01-2008, 04:36 AM
I hope davenport is still in shape he knows the offense so maybe it won't be as bad as people thinks bringing him back.

lilyoder6
10-01-2008, 12:52 PM
and i would bet that either benson and alexander prob would of wanted too much money or they wouldn't accept the fact that as soon as willie comes back he would of been the starter

Dino 6 Rings
10-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I've thought this through and slept on it.

Its like renting a car. Sure its not the car you want, cause your car is in the shop (Parker) and your kid just wrecked the other car and totalled it out (Mendenhall) so you go and rent a car for a while as you wait on repairs.

Now you could rent a an expensive sports car and pay out the nose as you put miles on it, or you could rent a reliable car that gets you to and from work as you wait on your car to get out of the shop. We Rented the Malibu instead of the Mustang. Cheaper and Reliable.

Now, we also have a motorcycle in the garage (Russell, Practice Squad) so we aren't totally without transportation.

So I'm ok with it, I guess.

cubanstogie
10-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I've thought this through and slept on it.

Its like renting a car. Sure its not the car you want, cause your car is in the shop (Parker) and your kid just wrecked the other car and totalled it out (Mendenhall) so you go and rent a car for a while as you wait on repairs.

Now you could rent a an expensive sports car and pay out the nose as you put miles on it, or you could rent a reliable car that gets you to and from work as you wait on your car to get out of the shop. We Rented the Malibu instead of the Mustang. Cheaper and Reliable.

Now, we also have a motorcycle in the garage (Russell, Practice Squad) so we aren't totally without transportation.

So I'm ok with it, I guess.

good analogy, I've stated before I liked Davenport. My hope is he comes in hungrier. He hasn't been getting a check and realizes it is his last chance. With that said its possible he gave as much as he could, and can't hit holes faster or harder.

Preacher
10-01-2008, 05:36 PM
You can grow up any time now. Don't act like an immature child because you got called out for giving up before the first half ended.

3-13 here we come! We completely suck ass! Fire Tomlin, Arians, and the Rooneys! As a Steelers fan, I demand and am entitled to nothing less than absolute perfection every week and every year, and if I don't get it, I'm gonna hold my breath until I turn blue, dammit!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/JenniJarrell/Calvin20and20Hobbes-2.jpg

SteelCityMan786
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Welcome back Dump Truck!

stillers4me
10-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Dookie can also return punts. Remember that nifty little trick play with Sepulveda last year?

Preacher
10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post

I would have to say a this point, with a game this weekend... and the possibility that he WILL be playing...

that it is all about knowing the system.

TheDumpTruck
10-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Welcome back Dump Truck!

Sweet, I can post again.

TheDumpTruck
10-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh, didn't know I hadn't even posted before....sweet. I think the Dump Truck is a good addition. Didn't he rush for over a 100 yards one game. He can certainly help the goalline and short distance running game.

SteelerSBorN
10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Davenport has joined the steelers to fill in one of the running back spots, do you think he should start or back up moore?:tt02::helmet:

cubanstogie
10-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Davenport has joined the steelers to fill in one of the running back spots, do you think he should start or back up moore?:tt02::helmet:

I probably like Najeh as much or more than any Steelers fan and I think Moore should start and Najeh is a band aid or insurance policy. Why would Moore be kept on team, Dookie cut then brought back to start over Moore. Doesn't make sense. Especially after Moore produced big time last week. Dookie probably not in too good of shape either. Dookie might not get a touch, Russel will also play ahead of Dookie IMO. At this point Dookie is just a body, anything he produces will be a bonus. Even though I have liked him at times, it is hard to imagine him being in shape, and mentally hungry enough to produce as much as he did last year. Hopefully Moore, Russell and Davis produce and Dookie won't be needed. That would be a no brainer.

Mcharger70
10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
I would have thought you guys might look at Shaun Alexander before you resigned
N.D....maybe it was a money thing?

revefsreleets
10-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I would have thought you guys might look at Shaun Alexander before you resigned
N.D....maybe it was a money thing?

I think it's more of a "Alexander sucks" thing...

SteelersJW
10-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Just when we thought we were done with him, he comes back. Nah, welcome back Dookie, we need you buddy!

43Hitman
10-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I just hope that the offensive line doesn't "hamper" the "deuce makers" ability to help out our running game. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Sweet, I can post again.

Well, I called Najeh Davenport that. But as long as you ain't banned, no member cares how many times ya post. As long as they have good quality and non-troll like. You sure don't fit the troll category

lilyoder6
10-04-2008, 11:34 PM
i guess we'll find out how good of a shape dookie is in tom night