PDA

View Full Version : Gary Russell

ajs8207
10-01-2008, 11:33 AM
The Steelers officially added him to the active roster. Thoughts? Do we like him more than Najeh? I personally do.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/08275/916465-66.stm

revefsreleets
10-01-2008, 11:59 AM
I like Russell on 1st and 2nd and Moore on 3rd, with Dookie in reserve. I can't see Moore as an every down back getting 25-30 carries, and I don't think Russell has the skill set to be a complete 3rd down back, at least to the extent that Moore does. Just IMO.

Dino 6 Rings
10-01-2008, 12:04 PM
On a 2nd and 4 I love Russell to get us at least 3 yards.

I think he could be a bonus to have, especially if the guy is hungry. Feed his hunger and hand him the rock. SMASH IT down people's NECKS! Run it Down Their Throats! KICK IN THE FACES AND RIP OUT THEIR HEARTS!!!

sorry...got lost there a second.

I think he'll be productive enough to make teams have to honor the play action pass.

atlsteelers
10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
i think russell is the best option also. he is also in game shape unlike davenport

tyler289
10-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Been waiting for this move. Russell can at least show us if he's capable of handling the load. I like him and it will be interesting to see how he does.

The_WARDen
10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Does this remind anyone of a few years ago? Duce goes down, Bettis can't go to start the season and they hand the ball to an unknown named Wille Parker.

Hopefully, Gary Russell can be the 2008 version!

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Been waiting for this move. Russell can at least show us if he's capable of handling the load. I like him and it will be interesting to see how he does.

Been waiting as well. Russell isn't an unheard of talent, but he always seems to fight for yards and hasn't ever seemed to have a fumbling problem. His hands are adequate and he's actually pretty shifty considering how hard he runs.

I agree, Moore as third down back and Russell on 1st and 2nd until Parker comes back.

56dabeast
10-01-2008, 01:07 PM
I hope they start Russell. I think this guy will surprise some people. This guy split time with L. Maroney of the pats in college and at times looked just as good. I think he just needs a chance.

OneForTheToe
10-01-2008, 02:05 PM
For Russell this could be a last opportunity. The same could be said for Dookie. We are presently carrying one more RB on the roster than we started the year with. Once Parker and Davis are healthy either Gary or Dookie are going to be gone (I'd say we will probably sign an O'linemen during the week off). Russell, of course, could go back to the P.S. But, if he doesn't step up, if given an opportunity, it is unlikely he would be given much of a chance next year.

steelreserve
10-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I definitely like this move. At least Russell has the potential to be a good, powerful runner. Dookie has proven that he's mediocre and has obvious shortcomings. I'll take the unknown guy with potential over the known-quantity "safe bet" guy who isn't very good.

steeltheone
10-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Russell is up to date with the offense. It's a no brainer

SCSTILLER
10-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I'll take Russell over Dookie anytime. Dookie just doesn't impress me,yeah, he is fast for a guy his size, but he needs big holes lots of room. He is not your "typical" big back. Lets see what Russell can do. Him and Moore together should be a good stop gap measure till Willie is back.

SCSTILLER
10-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Duce Staley in the news,

http://steelerstoday.com/?p=462

I had to take the advice from the first sentence.

CanadianSteel
10-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Give Russel a chnace I say.... and please don't put Dookie back returning kicks..... Can't stand to see a big lumbering back returning kickoffs...

LVSteelersfan
10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
I have not been a big Russell fan but I would rather see what he can do than Davenport. Najeh will probably not be in football shape where Russell has been on the practice squad. Lets hope that Russell proves me wrong in my assessment of him. Of course, I don't consider myself an expert, but I have never cared much for him.

Preacher
10-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I think the fact of the matter is that we will have to piece-meal a RB tandem together for this game regardless of who it is.

No one that we will put on the field will be great, because if they were, they would be starting NOW.

However, we may get some nice surprises.

7/39/43
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Russel showed great potential during preseason last season but not sure he or Najeh will be the answer or moore. Take a chance with Vincent

SteelersJW
10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm really excited about Russell. Mabye even more than I was about Rashard starting. Good luck Gary!

Steely McSmash
10-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Russell has against the Jags. He's my 1,2 down guy.

Hopefully the O-line will realize that they need to carry the running game to some extent.

Edman
10-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm not a big fan of Russell, but he's gotta be better than Dookie.

Stlrs4Life
10-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I like Russell on 1st and 2nd and Moore on 3rd, with Dookie in reserve. I can't see Moore as an every down back getting 25-30 carries, and I don't think Russell has the skill set to be a complete 3rd down back, at least to the extent that Moore does. Just IMO.

What he said.

steeltheone
10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
To be honest, i saw nothing real impressive from Mendenhall. Tuned into a Bears game and saw a couple things that impressed me about Forte.

Potsie
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I think that Moore will be a good early choice, but I don't know how much of the load he can take.

I'd take Russell for early downs, keep Moore to 3rd down. Najeh will be ready lord forbid we lose another back.

moedap
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM
To be honest, i saw nothing real impressive from Mendenhall. Tuned into a Bears game and saw a couple things that impressed me about Forte.

I did. Forte is running behind a pretty good Bears line. They give their QB good pocket time. Their QB's are inadequate.

Russell may be more suited to the offensive line we have. Remember FO drafted our line to help an offense that centered around a big back running the rock. We lucked up on the Big Ben pick and a new pass oriented OC was hired. Russell looked good in preseason against the 2nd and 3rd teams. He has to adjust to the speed he sees with the big boys. All he has to do is make the 2nd level LB's make arm tackles and we get 3 or 4 yards a carry. If Arians is smart he will flood his active playsheet with runs and take advantage of this lines identity.

SunshineMan21
10-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Russell really hasn't gotten much of a shot . . . might as well see if he can be productive, as we really don't have much to lose at RB at the minute.

Shoes
10-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Anyone know Russell's time for the 40?

cubanstogie
10-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Anyone know Russell's time for the 40?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2007/02/25/arizonas-chris-henry-fast-minnesotas-gary-russell-fat/

lilyoder6
10-01-2008, 10:18 PM
this will be the time for russell to shine.. i mean ppl thought he has something and then if he does show good could still be the spell back for willie when he comes back

SunshineMan21
10-01-2008, 10:29 PM
4.84 seconds is awful . . . high school linebackers would smoke that . . .

Edman
10-01-2008, 10:57 PM
In what opportunities Mendenhall had against the Ravens, he was getting some yardage.

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-01-2008, 11:03 PM
In what opportunities Mendenhall had against the Ravens, he was getting some yardage.

Agreed, I like Russell but Mendenhall seems legitimate once he works the kinks out. I just hope to God this isn't the start of an injury plagued rookie contract, not that I have reason to suspect that.

Preacher
10-01-2008, 11:52 PM

That isn't representative.....

He was out of shape. Now, he has been on the team two years.. running, practicing. I bet you he is quite faster.

moedap
10-02-2008, 12:06 AM

Do you think Bettis was running the 40 under 4.84 in his later years. The speed in the 40 doesnt determine a good RB. I am not saying he is good but his 40 time is no indicator of how he will perform.

SunshineMan21
10-02-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm not sure using Bettis is particularly representative--first of all he never particularly relied on speed, and in his last years he wasn't nearly the same back as earlier in his career. I'm not an advocate of the 40 as a huge indicator of success, but when someone has a score that's markedly outside the normal range it's cause for concern.

Hopefully Russell has improved--in fact, I'm sure he would run faster than 4.84 now. However, it's troubling how out of shape he must have been at that point.

steeltheone
10-02-2008, 02:09 AM

The one time he almost fell the hole was that big. He did nothing special. I expected more from a number 1 pick.

Galax Steeler
10-02-2008, 03:35 AM
Hopefully russell can pick up some tough yardage for us when we need it like Jerome did but I don't expect him to be as good as Jerome was.

steelpride12
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Moore can not have the brunt of the carries i don't feel he is ready. I do like Russel on first and second down, but he truly has not proved himself that much. Dookie knows the offense well from last season and i could see him playing on second and def. third down.

revefsreleets
10-02-2008, 10:54 AM
All I know is that if I see Mendy pacing the sidelines in a gray sweatsuit, I'm going to punch someone or something!

stlrtruck
10-02-2008, 11:04 AM
All I know is that if I see Mendy pacing the sidelines in a gray sweatsuit, I'm going to punch someone or something!

Would you prefer a black sweatsuit? Or perhaps maybe, just maybe Mendy will have some class and look a bit more professional on the sideline.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Yup, just rewatched the first drive. He had nice runs of 8 yards, 12 yards(McHugh blew up Bart Scott on that one) and had a nifty 4 yard gain after getting hit in the backfield. All on the opening drive.

steelreserve
10-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Do you think Bettis was running the 40 under 4.84 in his later years. The speed in the 40 doesnt determine a good RB. I am not saying he is good but his 40 time is no indicator of how he will perform.

Seriously, I think the 40-yard-dash is the most misguided indicator of football ability in history. It's like measuring your basketball talent by having you shoot from halfcourt.

How many times does 40 speed come up for a typical running back? Maybe once or twice a season on a 50-yard run where he gets caught from behind? Things like acceleration, changing directions, faking people out, and powering through defenders have nothing to do with whether or not you'd make a good track athlete. As long as you're not obviously slow on the field, your 40 time is completely irrelevant.

LVSteelersfan
10-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I think Russell is better than Davenport but am not expecting anything much from him. He may get 1 or 2 yards on first down, get stuffed on 2nd down and put us in third and long. That is what I honestly expect from him from what I have seen. Hopefully I am wrong, but I just can't get too excited about him. I think Moore will end up on the IR as well if we try to use him as an every down back. So it is worth a try with Russell. Hey, why don't we use the pony backfield with Russell and Moore? What the heck. It might change things up a bit. : )

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Russell gets my vote. He better kick some a$$ this week if he gets his chance. I think Najeh is just going to provide us with a little depth and I think Moore is going to be solely used as a pass catching threat. At least if I was the coach that is what I would do.

lilyoder6
10-02-2008, 03:28 PM
well so far the chris johnson pick for the titans is working out for them.. lol

but i think russell will be number 2 since he was actually with the team till a week ago or so.. and davenport prob isn't in football playing shape

DACEB
10-03-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't like the thought of Dookie, c'mon Russell use any oppurtunity to prove yourself.

steelreserve
10-03-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't think anybody likes the idea of Dookie. I hope he doesn't touch the ball on Sunday, except maybe on some receiving patterns out of the backfield.

Preacher
10-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't have a problem with him on our team.

hey, for what is essentially a 4th stringer... He isn't bad at all.

Think about it.... Just what DO you expect from a fourth string running back????

The Duke
10-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't have a problem with him on our team.

hey, for what is essentially a 4th stringer... He isn't bad at all.

Think about it.... Just what DO you expect from a fourth string running back????

well....wasn't kuhn once a 4th string runningback? look how awesome his career turned out :chuckle:

ShutDown24
10-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Not sure if this has been posted or anything, but the Trib says Moore has been officially named the starter.

Preacher
10-03-2008, 07:19 PM
well....wasn't kuhn once a 4th string runningback? look how awesome his career turned out :chuckle:

:buttkick:

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Not sure if this has been posted or anything, but the Trib says Moore has been officially named the starter.

I feel relieved.:applaudit:

KeiselPower99
10-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Itll be a starter by comittee this week. Moore and Russell will see the majority of carries I believe.

Steeldude
10-05-2008, 04:07 PM
jags have a pretty good run defense.

i am interested in seeing how simmons' replacement does.

i think moore will do ok considering which team he is up against.