PDA

View Full Version : DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!!

moedap
10-02-2008, 10:33 PM
The thread is about the negative side effects our stuttering offense is causing our 2nd ranked defense. A 2nd rank defense that is playing with 2 substitutes on the DL.

#1 Time of possession

Except for the Houston game we have been on the losing side of the time of possession battle. Dick L's 3-4 works best when it is being very aggressive. Aggressive defenses need to be fresh. If they spend too much time on the field they start to get tired near the end of the season.

#2 injuries because of the time of possession battle lost

More time on the field brings a greater chance for injury I would suppose. Lets say its not statistically true. The wear and tear on the body has to make them tire out

#3 Our defense would be ranked number 1

Theres no way I can prove that, but it stands to reason if the other team has more offensive time with the ball...opportunities to add yards increases.

#4 Media attention

The national news on the Steelers revolves around the offenses ineptitude instead of the incredible defense that is being played by those Steelers.

NJarhead
10-02-2008, 10:48 PM
The thread is about the negative side effects our stuttering offense is causing our 2nd ranked defense. A 2nd rank defense that is playing with 2 substitutes on the DL.

#1 Time of possession

Except for the Houston game we have been on the losing side of the time of possession battle. Dick L's 3-4 works best when it is being very aggressive. Aggressive defenses need to be fresh. If they spend too much time on the field they start to get tired near the end of the season.

More time on the field brings a greater chance for injury I would suppose. Lets say its not statistically true. The wear and tear on the body has to make them tire out

Theres no way I can prove that, but it stands to reason if the other team has more offensive time with the ball...opportunities to add yards increases.

#4 Media attention

The national news on the Steelers revolves around the offenses ineptitude instead of the incredible defense that is being played by those Steelers.

That's a good thing. Our O-line will gel and I have every confidence we'll put our weapons in the end zone. As long as the media keeps reporting the negative, we'll keep improving while sneaking up on people.

:drink: Here's to 4-1 at the bye week. (Not a prediction, but some well wishes for the Steelers).

Steelman16
10-03-2008, 12:46 AM
That's a good thing. Our O-line will gel and I have every confidence we'll put our weapons in the end zone. As long as the media keeps reporting the negative, we'll keep improving while sneaking up on people.

:drink: Here's to 4-1 at the bye week. (Not a prediction, but some well wishes for the Steelers).

I thought the Santonio touchdown was the sign of what we were capable of - on every play. Give Ben a little time to get in the groove, and we're suddenly putting up points by the dozens.

I've been saying this since last year - All we need is ADEQUETE play from the O-line and we can win every game on our schedule. Just adequete.

If Matt Schaub could score 3 TD's against Jacksonville, I see no reason why Ben can't either. I think we'll beat Jacksonville in a high-scoring game and go into the bye just in time for Willie to get back healthy.

Galax Steeler
10-03-2008, 04:25 AM
If Matt Schaub could score 3 TD's against Jacksonville, I see no reason why Ben can't either. I think we'll beat Jacksonville in a high-scoring game and go into the bye just in time for Willie to get back healthy.

Agreed it would be nice for our line to give Ben time to throw if this happens we should win the game I don't think there running backs will put up the same kind of numbers as they did against us last year.

TailgateMel
10-03-2008, 09:50 AM
AMEN! Our defense has been awesome, especially considering how many 3 & outs the offense has. It has been exciting to watch (the defense), you keep waiting for the next big play to happen!

SteelMember
10-03-2008, 09:58 AM
So does this mean the Defense is "Under the Radar"?

:couch:

cubanstogie
10-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Our defense reminds me of the Bears 2 years ago, and the Ravens 3 or 4 years ago. Those defenses were always a threat to score when they were on field. Not just able to stop other team but actually put points up. I feel that way about our D now. I've always thought we were exciting but now we have more speed and explosiveness. I could be wrong but am anxious to see how it plays out the rest of year and through playoffs. This week will be a good test for that, seeing how Jax usually moves the ball as well as any team against us. Our D is much better than we were agains Jax in the playoffs, I think we will frustrate them and stop Taylor and Drew for once. 26-23 Steelers.

revefsreleets
10-03-2008, 10:38 AM
There is no doubt at all that we have the best defense in the NFL right now. No doubt.

steelpride12
10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Santonio's TD didn't just help us win it reminded the team and the fans that our offense can score, the line can block, and we can make plays.

Our defense deserves a #2 spot at this point in the year if not #1 above the ravens. Im just worried that again at the end of the season our D will start giving up chunks of yards like last season, but i feel the loss of Aaron Smith who is the anchor of the D line helped the loss.

CanadianSteel
10-03-2008, 11:15 AM
The D has been friggin phenominal..... and hoping they can stay this consistent over 16 game stretch... To play as well as they have along the D line with 2 guys out is a good sign of depth and a solid D.....

The Duke
10-03-2008, 11:33 AM
There is no doubt at all that we have the best defense in the NFL right now. No doubt.

hmm....they are great, no doubt, but I want to see them against a real good offense to say they are the best

think after the jax game I may be convinced

biggest improvement this season- pass rush. last year opponents concentrated on silverback, but now there's a threat in each side with the wood :tt02:

aaron smith has been having a great season too

revefsreleets
10-03-2008, 04:40 PM
The Eagles offense can be pretty explosive. Jax is a little one-dimensional. The fact that we held the Eagles to 12 points, especially considering our offense was hardly marching up and down the field and keeping the D off the field, was proof positive for me...

DACEB
10-03-2008, 06:49 PM

#1 Time of possession

#4 Media attention

Great points, especially the time on the field. It's a long season and hopefully we'll be hitting on all cylinders at the right time.

The D has been great!

hizmi
10-03-2008, 08:26 PM

The Ravens and Titans might have something to say about that. I think we're top 5 for sure, but to say we're #1 no doubt is a bit presumptuous.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
We should just run "The Polamalu Blitz" every play and we should be GTG.

steelwall
10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm liking this year we are blitzing more, is it me or did it seem like last year we were getting very little pressure on QB's?

Lets go D!!!!!! Bring the pain!!!!

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2008, 09:50 PM

this is kinda goofy if you think about it.......there's 11 steelers on the field at all times.....so whats the difference injury wise what unit is out there? is it better to have O players spending more time on the field and absorbing more injuries??? :popcorn:

Glace
10-05-2008, 09:25 AM
We won't be ranked #2 for very long. I have a feeling the Ravens are due for getting blown out by somebody. I was hoping we could be the ones to do it, but that didn't quite work out.

moedap
10-05-2008, 09:35 AM
this is kinda goofy if you think about it.......there's 11 steelers on the field at all times.....so whats the difference injury wise what unit is out there? is it better to have O players spending more time on the field and absorbing more injuries??? :popcorn:

I would say it is better to have the offense on the field for a longer time. The defense has to react to what the offense is doing which means more planting and turning or more change of direction. Hit initiation also is generated from the offense more than the defense. The skill players on the offense may take hits from the defense(and usually its only the skill player presently with the ball) but anyone on defense can be hit by an offensive player(blocking).