PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rooney's book

silver & black
10-04-2008, 09:03 AM
I thought you guys might be interested in this. .. especially the Al Davis part. It's the first I heard of the incident. Seems not much has changed...LOL.

Ed Bouchette on the Steelers: Dan Rooney's book 'Family Business'

revefsreleets
10-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Um? Care to elaborate?

silver & black
10-04-2008, 07:42 PM
detests fellow Pro Football Hall of Fame member Al Davis. He writes of Davis' antics several times, including one from 1977 when he believed Davis was behind Oakland defensive back George Atkinson's disruptive lawsuit against Noll.

But the best Davis story spun by Rooney occurred when the NFL merged with the AFL, and then realigned when Cleveland, Baltimore and the Steelers moved to the AFC and divisions were formed.

The negotiations were long, hard and often contentious, but after they finally agreed on alignment, Al Davis tried to challenge the AFC Central makeup of the Browns, Steelers, Bengals and Oilers. Rooney told him it was "untouchable.'' Davis shot back, "No, it isn't.''

Finally, Davis walked out of the room, where he was confronted by Vince Lombardi.

"In the hallway, Vince grabbed Al by the collar, lifted him up, and pressed him against the wall, hard. 'If you're going to cause people trouble,' he warned, 'you'll be run out of here. You're getting the best teams. Dan Rooney came a long way for this, so settle down or we'll throw you out. We don't need you!' "

revefsreleets
10-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks...I didn't see anything past:

silver & black
10-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks...I didn't see anything past:

I'm sorry. I didn't know the link didn't work.

Godfather
10-05-2008, 12:07 PM
You have my condolences S&B...must suck to have a senile owner running a once-proud franchise into the ground.

I hope they get someone competent in charge soon. Especially for JaMarcus. He can be great if the circus doesn't ruin his career.

silver & black
10-05-2008, 06:42 PM
You have my condolences S&B...must suck to have a senile owner running a once-proud franchise into the ground.

I hope they get someone competent in charge soon. Especially for JaMarcus. He can be great if the circus doesn't ruin his career.

Yeah... this is the part that sucks about being a fan. All you can do is ride it out and hope for the best.

JR will be special in due time. He's playing well for a raw rookie. Mistakes are to be expected... I can live with them untill he comes into his own. :thumbsup: