PDA

View Full Version : Step 2 in Obama Race Card...

Preacher
10-05-2008, 11:13 AM
So when has questioning someone's past been off limits?

SInce that someone is an "African American Democrat"

It sure is ok to question a Republicans past though... isn't it. :pity:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D93KD6Q00&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - By claiming that Democrat Barack Obama is "palling around with terrorists" and doesn't see the U.S. like other Americans, vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin targeted key goals for a faltering campaign. And though she may have scored a political hit each time, her attack was unsubstantiated and carried a racially tinged subtext that John McCain himself may come to regret.
First, Palin's attack shows that her energetic debate with rival Joe Biden may be just the beginning, not the end, of a sharpened role in the battle to win the presidency.
"Our opponent ... is someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect, imperfect enough, that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country," Palin told a group of donors in Englewood, Colo. A deliberate attempt to smear Obama, McCain's ticket-mate echoed the line at three separate events Saturday.
"This is not a man who sees America like you and I see America," she said. "We see America as a force of good in this world. We see an America of exceptionalism."
Her reference to Obama's relationship with William Ayers, a member of the Vietnam-era Weather Underground, was exaggerated at best if not outright false. No evidence shows they were "pals" or even close when they worked on community boards years ago and Ayers hosted a political event for Obama early in his career.
Obama, who was a child when the Weathermen were planting bombs, has denounced Ayers' radical views and actions.
With her criticism, Palin is taking on the running mate's traditional role of attacker, said Rich Galen, a Republican strategist.
"There appears to be a newfound sense of confidence in Sarah Palin as a candidate, given her performance the other night," Galen said. "I think that they are comfortable enough with her now that she's got the standing with the electorate to take off after Obama."
Second, Palin's incendiary charge draws media and voter attention away from the worsening economy. It also comes after McCain supported a pork-laden Wall Street bailout plan in spite of conservative anger and his own misgivings.
"It's a giant changing of the subject," said Jenny Backus, a Democratic strategist. "The problem is the messenger. If you want to start throwing fire bombs, you don't send out the fluffy bunny to do it. I think people don't take Sarah Palin seriously."
The larger purpose behind Palin's broadside is to reintroduce the question of Obama's associations. Millions of voters, many of them open to being swayed to one side or the other, are starting to pay attention to an election a month away.
For the McCain campaign, that makes Obama's ties to Ayers as well as convicted felon Antoin "Tony" Rezko and the controversial minister Jeremiah Wright ripe for renewed criticism. And Palin brings a fresh voice to the argument.
Effective character attacks have come earlier in campaigns. In June 1988, Republican George H.W. Bush criticized Democrat Michael Dukakis over the furlough granted to Willie Horton, a convicted murderer who then raped a woman and stabbed her companion. Related TV ads followed in September and October.
The Vietnam-era Swift Boat veterans who attacked Democrat John Kerry's war record started in the spring of 2004 and gained traction in late summer.
"The four weeks that are left are an eternity. There's plenty of time in the campaign," said Republican strategist Joe Gaylord. "I think it is a legitimate strategy to talk about Obama and to talk about his background and who he pals around with."
Palin's words avoid repulsing voters with overt racism. But is there another subtext for creating the false image of a black presidential nominee "palling around" with terrorists while assuring a predominantly white audience that he doesn't see their America?
In a post-Sept. 11 America, terrorists are envisioned as dark-skinned radical Muslims, not the homegrown anarchists of Ayers' day 40 years ago. With Obama a relative unknown when he began his campaign, the Internet hummed with false e-mails about ties to radical Islam of a foreign-born candidate.
Whether intended or not by the McCain campaign, portraying Obama as "not like us" is another potential appeal to racism. It suggests that the Hawaiian-born Christian is, at heart, un-American.
Most troubling, however, is how allowing racism to creep into the discussion serves McCain's purpose so well. As the fallout from Wright's sermons showed earlier this year, forcing Obama to abandon issues to talk about race leads to unresolved arguments about America's promise to treat all people equally.
John McCain occasionally looks back on decisions with regret. He has apologized for opposing a holiday to honor Martin Luther King Jr. He has apologized for refusing to call for the removal of a Confederate flag from South Carolina's Capitol.
When the 2008 campaign is over McCain might regret appeals such as Palin's perhaps more so if he wins.

Man.. You talk about REACHING to make an issue... and paint a person as racist.

what a joke.

Do these idiots actually believe that anyone who isn't far left is so dumb as to not recognize that "Bill Ayers" is NOT a Muslim name? So how in the WORLD can this be made into a RACIAL issue.

I will tell you what it really is.... The DNC is a bit scared that this issue has FINALLY been brought up.

Like I said, step 2 in the Obama Race Card... Questioning him is off-limits.

tony hipchest
10-05-2008, 11:18 AM
:coffee: this issue was brought up a year ago.

it is mccain and his lagging numbers who are desperate for re-hashing this.

its all part of their campaign to keep their heads above water though.

Leftoverhard
10-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Preacher - you should have highlighted this part.

Whether intended or not by the McCain campaign, portraying Obama as "not like us" is another potential appeal to racism. It suggests that the Hawaiian-born Christian is, at heart, un-American.
Most troubling, however, is how allowing racism to creep into the discussion serves McCain's purpose so well. As the fallout from Wright's sermons showed earlier this year, forcing Obama to abandon issues to talk about race leads to unresolved arguments about America's promise to treat all people equally.

I don't know where you're getting the part about Obama's past being off-limits.

Here's a logical deduction:
Racism is alive and well in this country
Racists won't vote for Obama but they might not vote for anyone.
An undecided vote is a still a vote - and a valuable one at this point.

It's clear this is something that works for McCain. He's going to keep trying to use anything he can. The McCain camp would be stupid not to keep beating this into people's heads - especially in these last weeks when everyone starts going for the kill.

Preacher
10-05-2008, 03:43 PM

You mean like Bush's DWI record 15/20 something years before that was brought up in the last few days of the 2000 election? Or the faux issue with Bush reporting for duty in the Air National Guard?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

But what is sickening is to make up that these two are racists... Doesn't it bother you at ALL that the DNC is hiding behind the race card? Basically saying, "Look, he's black. So you can't talk about these things."

Sorry... it doesnt fly.

tony hipchest
10-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Sorry... it doesnt fly.i mean like if mccain/palin had obama like lead in the polls, this would still remain a dead non issue.

it is what it is. grasping at straws.

the american public isnt stupid. they dont need the DNC to remind them obama is black.

i think it would also help if the righties would learn the difference between the media and DNC. it seems like the 2 are often used interchangebly

HometownGal
10-05-2008, 03:54 PM

Don't know what you've been reading, Tony, but McCain's numbers are NOT lagging. Keep on drinking that Obama kool-aid, though - it's funny! :wink02::toofunny:

The ONLY numbers that matter are the final numbers on election night and I think you are going to be quite shocked. :wink02::chuckle:

I've never believed that Obama sees the same America as I do and that's one of the reasons why I can't support him. He mentored (his words) under Jeremiah Wright (I won't even refer to him as a man of God) for 22+ years and as my Mama always told me when I was a youngin' - "tell me who you hang with and I'll tell you what you are". Turn about is fair play - suck it up Demos.

tony hipchest
10-05-2008, 03:59 PM
The ONLY numbers that matter are the final numbers on election night and I think you are going to be quite shocked. :wink02::chuckle:

.yes, i know. "Kerrybastard in 04..." :rolleyes:

*sigh*

everybody needs hope though :thumbsup: :wink02:

oh btw, ive been reading your posts and i come away with the impression that bush is great and mccain is holding on to a HUGE lead.

:drink: (beer for me. whats in your glass?) :sofunny:

Preacher
10-05-2008, 04:00 PM
i mean like if mccain/palin had obama like lead in the polls, this would still remain a dead non issue.

it is what it is. grasping at straws.

the american public isnt stupid. they dont need the DNC to remind them obama is black.

i think it would also help if the righties would learn the difference between the media and DNC. it seems like the 2 are often used interchangebly

Really? You mean like the difference between Foxnews, Rush and Hannity on one hand, and the GOP on the other?

This nation is split into two groups, liberals and conservatives. The media is split just as much... and defends their party just as fervently.

tony hipchest
10-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Really? You mean like the difference between Foxnews, Rush and Hannity on one hand, and the GOP on the other?

This nation is split into two groups, liberals and conservatives. The media is split just as much... and defends their party just as fervently.
ok. i'll give you a chance to clarify yourself...

who wrote the article YOU posted? the RNC, the DNC, the Liberal media, or the Conservative media?

my point still stands.

IM not the one who tried to shift/spin/deflect a liberal article onto the DNC. :nono:

HometownGal
10-05-2008, 04:12 PM
yes, i know. "Kerrybastard in 04..." :rolleyes:

*sigh*

everybody needs hope though :thumbsup: :wink02:

oh btw, ive been reading your posts and i come away with the impression that bush is great and mccain is holding on to a HUGE lead.

:drink: (beer for me. whats in your glass?) :sofunny:

I've never said or implied, Tony, that I feel Bush is "great" or that McCain is holding onto a "huge lead". I have made it clear on more than one occasion on this board that I hold this country's safety and security above everything else and though Bush has made his share of fubars in the last 8 years, I respect him for his efforts and obvious success in protecting the citizens of this great country and particularly, those I love. At the risk of sounding redundant, if this country is attacked again by terrorists, it is quite possible we won't have to worry about any of the other issues being stumped by the candidates, as we will be nappin' in the dirt.

As for McCain - I told you I don't believe in any poll's accuracy and I've explained why. There are many reasons why I feel McCain will prevail on election day and I've also explained that reasoning, as well. If Obama would prevail, though I would never wish any harm on him, I could NEVER accept him as the leader of the country that I love so much. He goes against almost everything I believe and have always believed in.

Preacher
10-05-2008, 04:17 PM
ok. i'll give you a chance to clarify yourself...

who wrote the article YOU posted? the RNC, the DNC, the Liberal media, or the Conservative media?

my point still stands.

IM not the one who tried to shift/spin/deflect a liberal article onto the DNC. :nono:

Great job skipping the main point of my post... which is...

THE LINE BETWEEN THE DNC and the "common" media is too blurred for recognition....

just as liberals would say the same about fox news and the GOP.

Come on Tony, follow the argument here.

tony hipchest
10-05-2008, 04:31 PM
just as liberals would say the same about fox news and the GOP.

Come on Tony, follow the argument here.no.

the mccain camp and RNC has screwed up way more than the conservative media. i throw out rush limpbaugh completely smearing mccain several years back cause his a pompus idiot who everyone should be smart enough to ignore.

the media is the media and the conventions are the conventions. HUGE difference.

unless youre biassed against and mired in an imaginary evil leftist media conspiracy, of course.

Atlanta Dan
10-05-2008, 04:47 PM
If Obama would prevail, though I would never wish any harm on him, I could NEVER accept him as the leader of the country that I love so much. He goes against almost everything I believe and have always believed in.

So I guess you are not buying into "Country First" if Obama wins?:sofunny:

I share your end game strategy - if McCain wins after the type of campaign he is running (which is apparently heading even deeper into the netherworld of Rove/Atwater campaign tactics for the homestretch) don't expect any requests by John Maniac to rally round and sing Kumbaya to be met with much enthusiasm by those of us who vote the other way. But I assure you I want him to serve out his term, both because to wish otherwise is ghoulish and the idea of Palin as President is too terrifying to contemplate

P.S. - is one of the reasons you think the polls are flawed is that they understate the number of white folks who will never vote for a candidate of another race and will not admit that fact to a pollster (aka "the Bradley effect")?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/magazine/28wwln-safire-t.html

That is not a trick question - my view is Obama's poll numbers are overstated by that factor

cubanstogie
10-05-2008, 05:50 PM

I share your end game strategy - if McCain wins after the type of campaign he is running (which is apparently heading even deeper into the netherworld of Rove/Atwater campaign tactics for the homestretch) don't expect any requests by John Maniac to rally round and sing Kumbaya to be met with much enthusiasm by those of us who vote the other way. But I assure you I want him to serve out his term, both because to wish otherwise is ghoulish and the idea of Palin as President is too terrifying to contemplate

P.S. - is one of the reasons you think the polls are flawed is that they understate the number of white folks who will never vote for a candidate of another race and will not admit that fact to a pollster (aka "the Bradley effect")?

That is not a trick question - my view is Obama's poll numbers are overstated by that factor

some say Obama needs to be up by 10 percent going in to the last week in order to win the election. God I hope they are right. It works both ways, I haven't seen any McCain/Palin stickers on the vehicles driven by blacks.

Preacher
10-05-2008, 06:09 PM
no.

the mccain camp and RNC has screwed up way more than the conservative media. i throw out rush limpbaugh completely smearing mccain several years back cause his a pompus idiot who everyone should be smart enough to ignore.

the media is the media and the conventions are the conventions. HUGE difference.

unless youre biassed against and mired in an imaginary evil leftist media conspiracy, of course.

Tony,

I am constantly amazed how you can take only half of what said, and then try to run it in a different direction than intended. I wasn't being partisan here. Both the left and right media work to defend their own belief systems. Those belief systems align them with either party. then, they operate in that manner, which becomes partisan politics... Or just you just choose to close your eyes to the press altogether?

Preacher
10-05-2008, 06:16 PM

I love lines like these. It makes it seem as though the GOP is the only one doing it.

Anyone remember Paul Begala and James Carville? talk about polarizing campaign hacks.

Though AD.. Sadly I agree that there are going to be some racists in the pack that when they go into the voting booth, they simply will not vote for a black man.

I think you will see it if the overall polling numbers coming out of the voting booths track heavily towards Obama, and then are wrong. Not just in a couple areas, but in many across the country.

revefsreleets
10-05-2008, 06:29 PM
This is what veep's do...they sling the worst of the mud so the candidates can sort of stay a little above the slop. Biden was brought on half because Obama needed foreign policy and half to sling mud at McCain. This is just SOP, but it's a little partisan to only call one party out on it, and not very sound journalism.

tony hipchest
10-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Tony,

I am constantly amazed how you can take only half of what said, and then try to run it in a different direction than intended. I wasn't being partisan here. Both the left and right media work to defend their own belief systems. Those belief systems align them with either party. then, they operate in that manner, which becomes partisan politics... Or just you just choose to close your eyes to the press altogether?then perhaps you need to reclarify your OP.

cause what i saw was you noting a shoddy tactic from the mccain camp/RNC (who else allowed palin to rehash an ancient story and accuse obama of "pallin' around with terrorists"?) and trying to pin the expected liberal media response onto the DNC.

your point (i still dont know what it is) just seems like spin and diversion from this ancient "story". im sure we can expect palins next step to blast obamas racist preacher and racist wife.

:coffee:

Atlanta Dan
10-05-2008, 07:09 PM
some say Obama needs to be up by 10 percent going in to the last week in order to win the election. God I hope they are right. It works both ways, I haven't seen any McCain/Palin stickers on the vehicles driven by blacks.

I was not shopping an argument that only a small but significant % of the white electorate votes on the basis of the race of the candidate; black support for Obama obviously is enhanced by his race. But I have seen no reports of a corollary "Bradley effect" impact that results in polls overstating or understating the actual support of blacks for candidates on the basis of race.

My question was not what drives the vote; it is whether the polls accurately reflect the anticipated vote.

:drink:

Atlanta Dan
10-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I love lines like these. It makes it seem as though the GOP is the only one doing it.

Anyone remember Paul Begala and James Carville? talk about polarizing campaign hacks.

Though AD.. Sadly I agree that there are going to be some racists in the pack that when they go into the voting booth, they simply will not vote for a black man.

I think you will see it if the overall polling numbers coming out of the voting booths track heavily towards Obama, and then are wrong. Not just in a couple areas, but in many across the country.

I was simply stating what i anticipate the reaction to be if Obama loses - being told the Dems do it as well does not make it any more noble, but you will acknowledge that when Carville & Begala ran the campaign the Dems won and when Rove & Atwater ran the show the GOP won.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi:chuckle:

As for how the actual vote goes, the exit polls were wrong 4 years ago with no need to factor in the race factor - I will believe what is going to happen election night only after they have actual votes that form a statistically valid sample upon which to base a projection

The Patriot
10-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't know what you've been reading, Tony, but McCain's numbers are NOT lagging. Keep on drinking that Obama kool-aid, though - it's funny! :wink02::toofunny:

I've never believed that Obama sees the same America as I do and that's one of the reasons why I can't support him. He mentored (his words) under Jeremiah Wright (I won't even refer to him as a man of God) for 22+ years and as my Mama always told me when I was a youngin' - "tell me who you hang with and I'll tell you what you are". Turn about is fair play - suck it up Demos.

I believe that the beauty of America is that people are not forced to view it the same way.

Preacher
10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I was simply stating what i anticipate the reaction to be if Obama loses - being told the Dems do it as well does not make it any more noble, but you will acknowledge that when Carville & Begala ran the campaign the Dems won and when Rove & Atwater ran the show the GOP won.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi:chuckle:

As for how the actual vote goes, the exit polls were wrong 4 years ago with no need to factor in the race factor - I will believe what is going to happen election night only after they have actual votes that form a statistically valid sample upon which to base a projection

AD...

All I gotta say to that post is.....

Yep.

Finally, we find common ground!! :chuckle:

Preacher
10-05-2008, 09:03 PM
then perhaps you need to reclarify your OP.

cause what i saw was you noting a shoddy tactic from the mccain camp/RNC (who else allowed palin to rehash an ancient story and accuse obama of "pallin' around with terrorists"?) and trying to pin the expected liberal media response onto the DNC.

your point (i still dont know what it is) just seems like spin and diversion from this ancient "story". im sure we can expect palins next step to blast obamas racist preacher and racist wife.

:coffee:

Of course that is what you saw. Tell me, does the man on the moon look like Obama with these on too?

http://img.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/stylechannel/blog/061106/alain_mikli_glasses_400x300.jpg

revefsreleets
10-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Anyone see the Zoe Kravitz video? It's pretty scary stuff...bunch of celebs chanting Obama for 5 minutes, while she sings like he's Jesus reincarnated. Leni Riefenstahl's propaganda wasn't as over-the-top...

I also have to chuckle at the Obama radio ad where a bunch of kids state why they are voting. To judge by that ad, Obama is not only going to solve all the World's problems, he's also going cure cancer and part the Red Sea.

If he does get elected, he'll have made so many promises that he's basically already doomed to failure...he'll be a nother Carter, another one-and-doner...

Leftoverhard
10-06-2008, 10:21 AM
im sure we can expect palins next step to blast obamas racist preacher and racist wife.

I love the :hypno: those guys are putting on racism and sexism. All of the sudden they own it. All of the sudden this year at the RNC, they described themselves as "the party that ended slavery." Woo. That's rich. Then, all of the sudden, the GOP is the party of women and women's rights and if you're not with us! (see Sarah Palin), you must be a mysoginyst - it's so P.C of them. But I think most of us see these wolves in sheeps clothing and how pathetic the way they're trying to :hypno::hypno::hypno: this reverse racism thing is. What's next? GOP - The animal activist party. :pig::pig::pig:

What have these guys actually said about their platform? It's all smoke and mirrors.

If Obama would prevail, though I would never wish any harm on him, I could NEVER accept him as the leader of the country that I love so much. He goes against almost everything I believe and have always believed in.

Welcome to the world of the disinfranchised.

revefsreleets
10-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Smoke and mirrors? How about promising all things to all people, which is pretty much Obama's platform as far as I can see.

Again, I go back t his radio ad where a bunch of kids talk about registering to vote because of this that and the other: The implication is that Obama is going to fix ALL our problems.

How naive...

Leftoverhard
10-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Smoke and mirrors? How about promising all things to all people, which is pretty much Obama's platform as far as I can see.

Again, I go back t his radio ad where a bunch of kids talk about registering to vote because of this that and the other: The implication is that Obama is going to fix ALL our problems.

How naive...

You say that it's naive to think that Obama might actually mean what he says (btw, you're blatantly exaggerating the ALL part of that) but aside from being optimistic, especially after 8 years of this bull we've had to endure, I don't understand why you're so surprised that people are excited about it?
And the alternative is a guy who calls himself a maverick (over and over and over) but his voting record shows his solidarity with an administration who has, at best, completely lost the respect of most of this country. Other than that, he has said little about what sets him apart besides other than that he "has never been mistaken for Miss Congeniality" Unsettling.
And like I've said before - we don't want another helping of that, no thank you. People are not neccesarily naive - just hopeful about a candidate who is confident and clearly nothing like the old guard and will stand for the people instead of corporations and his own interests.

revefsreleets
10-06-2008, 11:10 AM
You clearly haven't heard the ad...

I'm not going to address the rest because it's just lefty clap-trap and we've been over this ground a thousand times...

Leftoverhard
10-06-2008, 11:26 AM
You clearly haven't heard the ad...

I'm not going to address the rest because it's just lefty clap-trap and we've been over this ground a thousand times...

Link? Can't find it anywhere. I know it's a radio spot but I found some others, not one with kids.

millwalldavey
10-06-2008, 11:39 AM
You mean like Bush's DWI record 15/20 something years before that was brought up in the last few days of the 2000 election? Or the faux issue with Bush reporting for duty in the Air National Guard?

Similar to Clinton not inhalining?

BTW... McCain as usual is playing his POW card to the hilt on this one.

revefsreleets
10-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I've heard it 400,000 times and I listen to an alt/modern rock station...

(Off the top of my head) Obama is, according to this ad: Fix Social Security, lower gas prices (BEWARE of Dems making that claim <cough Pelosi cough>), raise wages, eliminate student loan debt, decrease the cost of college, end the war, fix wall street, end gender inequality, end racial inequality, give free healthcare to all, end dependance on foreign oil, make the US completely green....and that's just off the top of my head.

Dino 6 Rings
10-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I wonder if on top of all that, Obama would be willing to come to my house in 2 weeks and pick up acorns out of my yard. Its such a hassle and I really wish someone else would just come by, in good faith, and clean up the acorns in my yard.

Oh...and the sticks that my neighbor is STILL throwing into my yard every weekend.

Leftoverhard
10-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I wonder if on top of all that, Obama would be willing to come to my house in 2 weeks and pick up acorns out of my yard. Its such a hassle and I really wish someone else would just come by, in good faith, and clean up the acorns in my yard.

Oh...and the sticks that my neighbor is STILL throwing into my yard every weekend.

Lol :laughing:- No but I bet McCain would be happy to send his apprentice Palin over there to have a six pack with you. Those fools want you to think they're just come hang out in your loving room, in your house on Main street, drink a six pack, smoke a doob. It's all such BS.

Dino 6 Rings
10-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Lol :laughing:- No but I bet McCain would be happy to send his apprentice Palin over there to have a six pack with you. Those fools want you to think they're just come hang out in your loving room, in your house on Main street, drink a six pack, smoke a doob. It's all such BS.

Well I don't drink so I don't think she'd have a good time at my place.

but if I ever want to snort some lines of blow up my nose I'll give Obama a call.

Preacher
10-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Similar to Clinton not inhalining?

BTW... McCain as usual is playing his POW card to the hilt on this one.

No, Clinton not inhaling was Clinton being dumb...

millwalldavey
10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
No, Clinton not inhaling was Clinton being dumb...

True... but an unexpected reply nonetheless...