PDA

View Full Version : TE Game

steelpride12
10-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I know about the OL speculation and all, but were is Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth been.
Miller is so so underrated every season and he can block and def. get open. Spaeth had a couple nice TD's last season that proved himself, but there is no TE game to be seen OL good or not.
I Think for the Steelers to gain more confidence on offense they need to get the ball to Miller over the middle or on short and goal line plays to open things up. What do you think?

slippy
10-05-2008, 02:10 PM
my ideal pass breakdown looks like this:

40% to ward (posession)
35% to holmes (big plays)
20% to miller
5% to m moore and nate washington

DACEB
10-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Great points, pride. Arians is saving all the good stuff for the post season. Shhh....

Really though, we really need to gameplan better. Spread things out a little, both WRs wide. Get more guys involved, you know, spread the ball around. Show some imagination, we've got a ton of weapons.

Think outside the box, Arians.

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-05-2008, 02:54 PM

40% to ward (posession)
20% to miller

I think Washington has really stepped up this season, more deserving than 5% of the passes his way.

lilyoder6
10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
i think arians need to open it ud as well.. i mean go 4-5 wide more than once or twice a game.. miller is a nice receiving threat..

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-05-2008, 05:17 PM
This is the week of the TE. You heard it here first.

43Hitman
10-05-2008, 06:41 PM
I know about the OL speculation and all, but were is Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth been.
Miller is so so underrated every season and he can block and def. get open. Spaeth had a couple nice TD's last season that proved himself, but there is no TE game to be seen OL good or not.
I Think for the Steelers to gain more confidence on offense they need to get the ball to Miller over the middle or on short and goal line plays to open things up. What do you think?

I think the main reason we have seen limited production from the TE's is because so far this year they have had to stay on the line to help protect Ben. When the line starts to play better we will see Heath more involved in the passing game.

JackHammer
10-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I stopped hoping for the Steelers to use the TE more about 3 years after Eric Green was here. It's pointless to even waste brain cells thinking about it because it's not gonna happen.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I will repeat myself.....This is the week of the TE. You heard it here first.

JackHammer
10-06-2008, 12:52 AM
I will repeat myself.....This is the week of the TE. You heard it here first.

Miller with 5/45yds and a TD is good enough for me, relatively speaking. He had some big catches :tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Miller with 5/45yds and a TD is good enough for me, relatively speaking. He had some big catches :tt02:

He had some even bigger blocks that allowed Moore and Russell to rip off some good runs. He is a Steeler TE, never somebody that is gonna be confused with Tony Gonzales, Shockey, Heap, Gates or Crumpler.

Steelman16
10-06-2008, 02:09 AM
He had some even bigger blocks that allowed Moore and Russell to rip off some good runs. He is a Steeler TE, never somebody that is gonna be confused with Tony Gonzales, Shockey, Heap, Gates or Crumpler.

...but if he played for any of those aforementioned teams, he could easily have the same stat-numbers those players have put up. Heath Miller is total team - a classic Steeler. :tt02:

He had a great game tonight. I was glad to see him used more often in the short-mid passing game.

klick81
10-06-2008, 02:37 AM
I think the main reason we have seen limited production from the TE's is because so far this year they have had to stay on the line to help protect Ben. When the line starts to play better we will see Heath more involved in the passing game.

Bingo. It's not that they're "saving" any incredible plays or formations for later in the season. Heath has had stay and pick up the blitzes in the past few games.

Galax Steeler
10-06-2008, 05:08 AM
He is a good tight end if our line could block then Heath would have some monster numbers.

steelpride12
10-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Finally we let the animal loose. Miller got his chance to not only block last night, but get open and it paid off early with the first TD. Miller is a key player for us so getting to him early and often gives us a chance.

CanadianSteel
10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Health is a monster player.... and all around player is what I mean. He blocks hard, catches everything thrown his friggin way, always fights for extra yards upon contact and is a team guy. I think the passes to him using the middle of the field opened up some runs and passes to others.
Bout friggin time.....

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2008, 11:04 AM
...but if he played for any of those aforementioned teams, he could easily have the same stat-numbers those players have put up. Heath Miller is total team - a classic Steeler. :tt02:

He had a great game tonight. I was glad to see him used more often in the short-mid passing game.

I honestly dont think Miller is as athletic as any of those previously mentioned TE's. They have quicker feet and run better patterns.

Miller isnt far behind as a receiver, but is light years ahead of those guys as a blocker. I think the only other TE in the league that is a really good blocker and receiving threat is Jason Whitten.

I wanted a CB like Justin Miller back in the draft year. Happy they got Heath Miller instead....despite all my typing :wink02:

stlrtruck
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM

40% to ward (posession)
20% to miller

I'd rather see 100% of the passes thrown directly to the open WR, perferably the one that can take it into the endzone!!!

Leftoverhard
10-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm a huge proponent of Miller too. He's a great weapon and a very good team player.

Tankus_Maximus
10-06-2008, 11:11 PM
It was great to see Ben get the ball to Miller, he's got the best hands in the AFC and would be a nice safety valve for Ben when he's in pursuit (yet again).

DACEB
10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Bingo. It's not that they're "saving" any incredible plays or formations for later in the season. Heath has had stay and pick up the blitzes in the past few games.

You do realize the whole 'saving all the good stuff" was sarcasm..... right?

Miller didn't really need to stay in to block against Jax, because we spread out more on O. The defense couldn't crowd the line with the formations we were in. The end result was the O-line made easier reads and played much better, even without help from the RBs and TEs for the most part.

I'd still like to see them play much more 1RB & 2WR wide, whether it's 3WR & 1TE or 2TE sets. Send Miller in motion more often to get a read on the defense. He can move to split end or the slot, spreading the D out and giving us more lanes to run or pass.

Great play-action at the goalline for a TD to the TE in the Jax game!!

DACEB
10-07-2008, 12:24 PM
I honestly dont think Miller is as athletic as any of those previously mentioned TE's. They have quicker feet and run better patterns.

Miller isnt far behind as a receiver, but is light years ahead of those guys as a blocker. I think the only other TE in the league that is a really good blocker and receiving threat is Jason Whitten.

Most complete TEs, IMO;

Whitten, Cooley, Miller and Shockey (bad attitude)

SCSTILLER
10-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Most complete TEs, IMO;

Whitten, Cooley, Miller and Shockey (bad attitude)

I would have to throw Dallas Clark in there also, even though I am not sure how good of a blocker he is.

Heath is definitely one of the better all round TE's, and I think if thrown to more he will be Pro-Bowl material.

lilyoder6
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
honestly, imo, i would put witten in a whole different class.. he is so good it's not even funny, esp in the passing game, he is like a wr

The Duke
10-07-2008, 06:55 PM
honestly, imo, i would put witten in a whole different class.. he is so good it's not even funny, esp in the passing game, he is like a wr

definitely, he's above all the others. 2nd in receptions in the league ( behind reggie bush, lol).

only cowboy I like

Steelman16
10-07-2008, 07:00 PM

I wanted a CB like Justin Miller back in the draft year. Happy they got Heath Miller instead....despite all my typing :wink02:

True, but if Miller was asked to become a Jason Witten in terms of being a high-scale receiving target, I don't think he'd have much trouble.

And as you said, he can he block the living crap out anyone lined up in front of him.

I'm happy you ain't the GM. :chuckle: :wink02: jk bro

NJarhead
10-07-2008, 07:02 PM

Yea, he came up big for us this week. I think this thread is about one week late.

DACEB
10-07-2008, 07:09 PM
only cowboy I like

Darn it, your right.

Welcome To Smashmouth
10-08-2008, 10:11 PM
What do you think?

I think your-dead on. Miller pulled out a nice TD grab against JAX last week, but I think if asked to pull his best Jason Witten impersonation he'd do a damn fine job. Seriously, negate Jason Witten in Dallas, stick in Heath Miller for a season with the Cowboys and I can guarantee a 900+yard, 8td season from him.

I'm pretty damn sure that we are also the only team with two Mackey award winners, and are we showing it week by week on the stat sheet?? No way. I agree, I'm gonna have to call out Mr. Arians on this one and ask why he hasn't incorporated both big talent names into the offense more frequently. I just pulled a stat check on Heath, and am astounded at the findings...he has yet to even tally a fifty catch season, and he's in season #4 now!!! Ouch!