PDA

View Full Version : Officiating for the Jags game was questionable.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2008, 01:38 AM
The late hit on Harrison in the 2nd half was the same as Groves hit on Ben in the first. Both were clean.

The "taunting" call on Washington, looked to be a reaction to a Jaguars coach on the sideline motioning that his catch was incomplete. Nate got caught on the reaction.

Clark clearly got pushed in the back by the Jags RB on a blitz. Woodley got tackled from behind on a pass rush after beating the TE.

The final 2 plays of the game, Khalif Barnes flagrantly had his arm across Harrison's neck and was grabbing him by the shoulder pad as Silverback had beaten him......both without holding calls.

Lots of penalties, but man they missed a lot more.

Steel_Bus_24
10-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Yeah then the FFffing Refs don't reset the play clock on that 2 point conversion either:mad:

fansince'76
10-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Like our D-linemen being practically tackled on every play by their OL? To hell with it - we won.

Steelman16
10-06-2008, 01:46 AM
We won and that's all that matters - good teams overcome the refs.

But on another note, Khalif Barnes gets away with more holding than any lineman I can think of - I was so glad to see him actually get flagged.

Preacher
10-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Sorry guys...

I find it interesting that every week, we have so many questions about the officiating... but we NEVER question calls that go our way.

Clark's hit on the receiver was a good call. It doesn't matter if the ball was or was not tipped, if the receiver is defenseless, you can't not tee off on him. Clark did. It was his fault.

The PI call? Ike brought his hand down on the shoulder pads of the receiver, making contact and POSSIBLY stopping a diving catching... Because it was POSSIBLE, however much it wasn't likely, that call needs to be made.

Yeah, the refs blew a couple calls, a nice holding that wasn't called, the unsportsmen like conduct on Harrison was wrong.

But I think we are getting a little too carried away blaming the refs for bad calls... when really, our players are making some foolish mistakes.

Like the taunting penalty on Washigton. You KNOW you cannot taunt the other team... that SAME penalty was called on Washington's DB a few minutes before. He KNEW that those penalites were being called. He should have shut up. Don't blame the refs. That was his fault. Period.

WWIIOwheelz
10-06-2008, 01:47 AM
It really was awful, I completely agree. I don't like to complain about officiating, because what comes around goes around, but there isn't any excuse for 15 yard penalties over such incidental stuff. The Harrison hit had me seeing red, and like the commentator said, that isn't called 80% of the time. The taunting penalty was laughable.

Yeah, moving on, I'm just thankful they got the W.

fansince'76
10-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Sorry guys...

I find it interesting that every week, we have so many questions about the officiating... but we NEVER question calls that go our way.

Clark's hit on the receiver was a good call. It doesn't matter if the ball was or was not tipped, if the receiver is defenseless, you can't not tee off on him. Clark did. It was his fault.

The PI call? Ike brought his hand down on the shoulder pads of the receiver, making contact and POSSIBLY stopping a diving catching... Because it was POSSIBLE, however much it wasn't likely, that call needs to be made.

Yeah, the refs blew a couple calls, a nice holding that wasn't called, the unsportsmen like conduct on Harrison was wrong.

But I think we are getting a little too carried away blaming the refs for bad calls... when really, our players are making some foolish mistakes.

Like the taunting penalty on Washigton. You KNOW you cannot taunt the other team... that SAME penalty was called on Washington's DB a few minutes before. He KNEW that those penalites were being called. He should have shut up. Don't blame the refs. That was his fault. Period.

I agreed with all of those against us, actually. My beef was with the holding they got away with on a consistent basis. I realize you can call holding on just about every play in the NFL, but when guys are pretty much being tackled, c'mon already.

Preacher
10-06-2008, 01:51 AM
I agreed with all of those against us, actually. My beef was with the holding they got away with on a consistent basis. I realize you can call holding on just about every play in the NFL, but when guys are pretty much being tackled, c'mon already.

Yeah...

in the game thread, I mentioned that too... That was one they were getting away with, seems pretty consistently most teams get away with holding off the edges.

KeiselPower99
10-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Reminded me of the Wild Card game. At least when Barnes was called for holding Al Michaels said to Steeler fans its 10 months late.

klick81
10-06-2008, 02:26 AM

I can agree with the taunting penalties, but the two calls you speak of above, I have to completely disagree with.

How many times have we seen Ward get hit like that without any calls being made? It's part of the game that is being pussified more and more each passing year.

I think the PI call is close, but should not have been called because I don't even think a diving catch would have been possible. The ball was way overthrown. Good defense in my book.

But hey, like it's been said before: Great teams overcome bad calls.

steelreserve
10-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Sorry guys...

Whether they had a reason or not -- and no matter whether they were being consistent or not -- they called a lot of bullshit penalties on both teams because they were interpreting the rules too strictly. And any time that happens, it takes some of the fun out of the game for everyone.

steelergirl07
10-06-2008, 03:55 AM
There was a couple of calls that I questioned. At the time I was yelling at the T.V., but after all is said and done, we won. Good teams overcome calls made by the refs. Plain and simple. Let's not start to sound like Seahawk fans.

Preacher
10-06-2008, 04:16 AM
Whether they had a reason or not -- and no matter whether they were being consistent or not -- they called a lot of bullshit penalties on both teams because they were interpreting the rules too strictly. And any time that happens, it takes some of the fun out of the game for everyone.

However, that is a different perspective...

What I am bristling against, is the idea that the refs were calling them specifically, "against Pittsburgh"

OX1947
10-06-2008, 04:33 AM
The holding Jax was doing was ridiculous. I could see them on tv all the way in San Diego. I tried not to think about it considering that they could call holding on pretty much any play. Ike's PI could have gone either way. Clarks stupid arse left his feet and went for the head, that was a good call. Nate's taunt was nate's fault, considering Jax got called for the same thing when williams was talking junk.

The roughing the passer on Harrison had me screaming outside, inside, i was beside myself. That call could have cost the steelers the game.

Preacher
10-06-2008, 04:43 AM
The holding Jax was doing was ridiculous. I could see them on tv all the way in San Diego. I tried not to think about it considering that they could call holding on pretty much any play. Ike's PI could have gone either way. Clarks stupid arse left his feet and went for the head, that was a good call. Nate's taunt was nate's fault, considering Jax got called for the same thing when williams was talking junk.

The roughing the passer on Harrison had me screaming outside, inside, i was beside myself. That call could have cost the steelers the game.

Pretty fair assesment IMO.

But that is probably because it agrees with mine. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
10-06-2008, 05:00 AM
The Harrison call was the worst one I seen that should not have been called he got there about the time he realesed the ball,and when woodley got held that should have been called also.

steelwall
10-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Sorry guys...

Sorry Preacher I agree with you 99% of the time, but 2 wrongs don't make a right. I seen blatent holding by the jags o-line more than several times. I really believe its true that holding occurs on allmost every play how blatent it is is usually the factor in flag tossing, and I'm for letting the men play, but if there is a wrong call its a wrong call... justifying by it saying "well noone ever complains about wrong calls that go our way" doesnt fly with me.

steelpride12
10-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Sorry to say, but the officiating was bad at points, but calls like the Clark hit was a good call.
The Jags OL def. was holding most of the night which was called i think maybe twice last night, but no worries we won!

the_king_from_leon
10-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Yeah then the FFffing Refs don't reset the play clock on that 2 point conversion either:mad:

That really annoyed me as well, but it seems to always be the way with the Jags games with officials!

GBMelBlount
10-06-2008, 07:18 AM
The late hit on Harrison in the 2nd half was the same as Groves hit on Ben in the first. Both were clean.

The "taunting" call on Washington, looked to be a reaction to a Jaguars coach on the sideline motioning that his catch was incomplete. Nate got caught on the reaction.

Clark clearly got pushed in the back by the Jags RB on a blitz. Woodley got tackled from behind on a pass rush after beating the TE.

The final 2 plays of the game, Khalif Barnes flagrantly had his arm across Harrison's neck and was grabbing him by the shoulder pad as Silverback had beaten him......both without holding calls.

Lots of penalties, but man they missed a lot more.

The officiating was TERRIBLE imo.....Though for some for odd some reason I never seem to notice the bad calls that go OUR way. :wink02:

SCSTILLER
10-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I agree with everyone on here that the officiating was, well, sub-par. The hit Clark put on the WR was a penalty. The roughing the passer on Silverback, bogus (the ball was barely past Garrards fingertips), and yes, the Jags were holding a ton. But, I noticed some holds by our o-line also that were not called, especially Colon at RT. Like some have said, you can call holding on almost every play. Both taunting calls were deserved, the Jags DB saying something to an injured player (deserved) and Washington taunting the opposing coaches (deserved).

revefsreleets
10-06-2008, 09:29 AM
If Matt Jones was going to dive, he'd have already started to dive. He was running in stride and trying to make the catch over his shoulder.

My beef is the TIMING and the nature of the calls. That PI call was a potential game changer. WE get an awful lot of us going against us.

SCSTILLER
10-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Steelers LB Harrison rips referee for penalty call
Monday, October 06, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
JACKSONVILLE -- Linebacker James Harrison hails from the same college as Jack Lambert, Kent State, and the two share the same view of quarterbacks -- and perhaps referees.

The Steelers received a 15-yard penalty at a crucial time in the fourth quarter Sunday night when Harrison was called for roughing Jacksonville quarterback David Garrard Sunday night. The Jaguars led 21-20 at the time and the penalty occurred as Garrard threw a 5-yard completion on third-and-7 at his 17.

Harrison called it a bad call because Garrard was in the process of throwing when he hit him, and he pulled back as the two hit the ground so not as to drive the quarterback into the grass.

"It was the most unbelievable penalty I've ever seen in my life,'' Harrison said. "If they're going to go and send me a letter saying they're going to fine me for unnecessary-whatever he called, I believe that is not a penalty. And when it comes down to it these refs should start getting fined for making bad calls."

The 15-yard penalty gave the Jaguars a first down at their 37, but the Steelers defense held, forced a punt and their offense mounted what would be the winning drive from its 20 with 6:33 left.

"I pulled off of him, I held myself from hitting the ground on top of him and this dude threw a flag," Harrison said. "Right as he was releasing the ball, I was hitting him. I don't see how he could call a flag on that, man, it's ridiculous.

"I didn't even take a step. As far as I'm concerned, he could have pumped the ball and if I'd have stopped and not continued through I would have looked like a fool."

First published on October 6, 2008 at 8:46 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08280/917859-66.stm

This is true, I remember seeing a couple of years ago a DE letting the QB go and he was criticized in the media for not finishing the play!

Dino 6 Rings
10-06-2008, 09:44 AM
we'll get another apology from the league this week, especially for the play clock during the 2 point attempt. I'm still trying to figure out what happened there.

bottom line, we played through the bad calls, our Defense still allowed under 20 points and our offense had a game winning drive with 6 minutes left that took us down under the 2 minute warning.

We were the better team and the Better Team won.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry guys...

I

Those were the correct calls and I dont fault the refs for getting them right. They did a good job on that, but consistently missed holding calls.

I think Trai Essex got away with one in the 4th quarter on Moore's long run too. His hands were outside Spicers shoulder pads......maybe it was a makeup non call or just being tired of making the call.

memphissteelergirl
10-06-2008, 10:24 AM
The taunting call was clearly on Nate...just give the ball to the ref and walk away, dumbass! :banging:

The roughing the passer call was beyond stupid! JH got there just as Gerrard was about to let the ball go.

But what got to me the most (just like it did back in January) was the non-calls, specifically the holds the Jags O-line was getting away with. Geez, it was SO obvious!

fansince'76
10-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Those were the correct calls and I dont fault the refs for getting them right. They did a good job on that, but consistently missed holding calls.

I think Trai Essex got away with one in the 4th quarter on Moore's long run too. His hands were outside Spicers shoulder pads......maybe it was a makeup non call or just being tired of making the call.

And to be completely fair, I think we got away with 3-4 offsides that weren't called as well. All in all, things evened out in the end.

moedap
10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I dont agree with the call on Ryan Clark. First the ball was tipped. Had the ball not been tipped it would have gotten to Matt Jones and Ryan Clarks hit would have been a perfectly timed. Plus the ball was still catchable after the tip. Second, Matt Jones is much taller than Ryan Clark so he has to get some air to hit if the hit is to alter the catch. Third, He hit him with his shoulder pads not his helmet. It was a clean hit. Bad call.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2008, 11:00 AM
And to be completely fair, I think we got away with 3-4 offsides that weren't called as well. All in all, things evened out in the end.

Henderson was in the neutral zone a couple times while anticipating the snap, and Spicer jumped which caused Marvel Smith to move.....that was another incorrect call.

I think a lot of folks here are fine with the officiating because we won. Objectively speaking, win or lose the officiating was sub-par and yes I believe the Steelers got the short end of it and persevered.

Movin onto Cinci, just movin on.

steelpride12
10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Sure we got away with 4 or 5 offsides, but i think they called one holding call on the jags when i saw it all game long. Harrison deserves a direct apology for the rediculous Personal foul, but all in all it's not a big deal because we won.

atlsteelers
10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
the harrison and taylor calls were really bad. the call on clark was tough to. the ball was tipped and clarke only lead with his shoulder (madden was full of it on that call)

cubanstogie
10-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry guys...

The refs were consistent. The only call I didn't like was the Harrison roughing call. Nates was week , but it was the same as when he was taunted by the Jax DB earlier in game.

fansince'76
10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I think a lot of folks here are fine with the officiating because we won.

Not me - I think the officiating by and large in the NFL sucks, and has pretty much always sucked, but outside of getting rid of the corporate CEOs and bank presidents who officiate the games part-time on a lark and get full-time refs, what are ya gonna do? And even then, it would probably still suck. If we would have lost last night due to a bad call or bad non-call, it wouldn't be anywhere near the first time it had happened.

Preacher
10-06-2008, 02:36 PM
What I look for most in a ref is not necessarily making every good call (they are human and WILL make mistakes), but in being consistent on good and bad calls.

That way, the team can adjust and play.

It is the incosistent ones that upset me the most. That is why I don't really say much about the holding, they let holding go on both teams... and called unsportsmenlike penalties on both teams....tightly.

What they were NOT consistent on was the roughing the QB calls. Which is why I agree with everyone here when it comes to that.

stlrtruck
10-06-2008, 04:07 PM
What they were NOT consistent on was the roughing the QB calls. Which is why I agree with everyone here when it comes to that.

And because of their inconsidtency it's going to get QBs in this league seriously injured and possibly end their career. And NO, I'm not asking for more rules to protect the QB - I think they really need to get a grasp on the idea of what "roughing the passer" really is and then when they think they got it - sit down and read the rule 100 more times!!!

cornerback47
10-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry guys...

Um dude, only taters complain about a penalty that was obvious. You cant call yourself a true fan if you see your team commit a penalty and dont admit to yourself or others that "yes, that was definitely a missed or bad call." If you know people like that, then yes, they are truly one way crybabies. On the other hand, having been a safety in college, Clark's hit was not only legal, (not using the helmet) but well timed. How's this scenario: WHAT IF JONES CATCHES THE BALL? What should Clark have done then? Tap him on the shoulder and ask him to please take a knee so that he doesnt get a penalty for cleaning his clock? CLARK DID WHAT EVERY SAFETY IS TRAINED TO DO: PLAN ON THE GUY CATCHING THE BALL (as a reciever is trained to do) AND SEPARATE HIM FROM IT.(as a safety is trained to do). Youve got a point on the holding calls but if Jones catches that ball, the hit is totally legal. Therefore, the hit should have been totally legal, cause the rule doesnt state "if the reciever DOES NOT CATCH THE BALL"........

Preacher
10-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Um dude, only taters complain about a penalty that was obvious. You cant call yourself a true fan if you see your team commit a penalty and dont admit to yourself or others that "yes, that was definitely a missed or bad call." If you know people like that, then yes, they are truly one way crybabies. On the other hand, having been a safety in college, Clark's hit was not only legal, (not using the helmet) but well timed. How's this scenario: WHAT IF JONES CATCHES THE BALL? What should Clark have done then? Tap him on the shoulder and ask him to please take a knee so that he doesnt get a penalty for cleaning his clock? CLARK DID WHAT EVERY SAFETY IS TRAINED TO DO: PLAN ON THE GUY CATCHING THE BALL (as a reciever is trained to do) AND SEPARATE HIM FROM IT.(as a safety is trained to do). Youve got a point on the holding calls but if Jones catches that ball, the hit is totally legal. Therefore, the hit should have been totally legal, cause the rule doesnt state "if the reciever DOES NOT CATCH THE BALL"........

Your problem is not with me, but with how the rules are written in the NFL.... I expect players that play in the NFL to follow those rules, or get penalized.

fansince'76
10-06-2008, 04:47 PM

:chillpill :chillpill :chillpill

Preacher
10-06-2008, 05:08 PM
You gotta love that as a first post eh?

NJarhead
10-06-2008, 06:42 PM
The refs were consistent. The only call I didn't like was the Harrison roughing call. Nates was week , but it was the same as when he was taunted by the Jax DB earlier in game.

The refs were definitely NOT consistent. The Jags o-line was getting away with murder. I watched Harrison get tripped out in space while he was making a B-Line for Garrard, no flag and it ended up a big gain. Then to flag him later for roughing the passer??? :banging:

Not that it mattered but those blind ass refs actually called the fumble a "down by contact?" Sure we could have challenged if we recovered, but what if we had no time outs? Why should we even have to?

I think the P.I. in the end zone was touchy as was the Taunting call on Washington.

Now, where were the outragous calls on Jacksonville? A hold here, illegal contact there, but that's it.

I can't really say anything about the illegal hit on a defensless reciever except that had the ball NOT been tipped, we'd be talking about what an awesome hit it was and that it otherwise would have been complete.

In any event, I'm glad the Steelers won despite the refs. Hard fought and well desreved was that "W." I just hope we don't have to see that crew again this year.

steelpride12
10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
The refs were definitely NOT consistent. The Jags o-line was getting away with murder. I watched Harrison get tripped out in space while he was making a B-Line for Garrard, no flag and it ended up a big gain. Then to flag him later for roughing the passer??? :banging:

Not that it mattered but those blind ass refs actually called the fumble a "down by contact?" Sure we could have challenged if we recovered, but what if we had no time outs? Why should we even have to?

I think the P.I. in the end zone was touchy as was the Taunting call on Washington.

Now, where were the outragous calls on Jacksonville? A hold here, illegal contact there, but that's it.

I can't really say anything about the illegal hit on a defensless reciever except that had the ball NOT been tipped, we'd be talking about what an awesome hit it was and that it otherwise would have been complete.

In any event, I'm glad the Steelers won despite the refs. Hard fought and well desreved was that "W." I just hope we don't have to see that crew again this year.

Um we won!?

NJarhead
10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
You gotta love that as a first post eh?

Damn, look at Preacher pissing off the newbs. :laughing: Just who do you think you are Preacher? :wink02:

DACEB
10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
The roughing the passer calls are way too objective and are being called for the wrong reasons at the wrong time. That call on Harrison changed the game and it was ABSOLUTELY a good, clean hard hit.

cubanstogie
10-06-2008, 06:54 PM

I actually was yelling for a holding call when the Jags converted on a 3rd down as well and it wasn't called. I try not to get to picky about holds since you could almost call on every down. I guess ever since the SB I hated listening to Seahawk fans whine about refs so I try not to. Nates taunting was week, but earlier in game the Jags were called as well and the DB didn't do anything obvious. Yes you could tell Washingtong got up angry but come on. I don't think either should have been called. But the were consistent. I actually think the PI was justified as well as the hit on Clark. He could have stopped. If it were a bang bang play then no it should not have been called. But on review he just didn't show discipline. It was a frustrating game, we dominated except for 3rd quarter and had to win a our last drive.

St33lersguy
10-06-2008, 07:01 PM
The personal foul was BS. Thye Playclock on the 2-pt conversion B.S. questionable calls on some other 15yd penalties. Was it me or were the jags getting away with pretty much EVERYTHING!!
That entire crew played like they were jags fans in disguise.

NJarhead
10-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Um we won!?

Ya don't say. Weren't you getting upset with all the BS though before we took the lead. As I said, they won DESPITE the refs. I think I've complained about officiating twice in recent years; tonight and during the 2005 divisional playoff game against the Colts. Sue me.

St33lersguy
10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
The game ain't close if the refs didn't attempt to hand the jags a victory. The way the jags cheapsh*t OL got away with murder reminded me of the 4th and 2 from that playoff game where Keisel gets held badly and Garrard runs for a big gain to set up the game winning FG.

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I had no problem with any of the officiating in our other games. The Eagles game was a strict playstyle, and the Ravens game they clearly were out to stop any potential brawls. Even last year's no-call on the hold was just a fluke bad call. As Preacher said, consistency is what matters.

This latest Jags game was a joke, though. And yes, it was completely one-sided. I'm not saying the refs thought "let's throw it to the Jags", but they apparently had no resistance to the home crowd. I don't blame the Jags for it either or anything, no hard feelings their way, that crew just fails horrifically at their job. Being objective and not judging it on consequences, they did a poor, poor job. I wouldn't wish that calling on any team.

Anyone who's ever refereed a basketball, baseball, football etc game knows you end up hating the home crowd or feel the pull to let some calls go their way. Clearly, this crew went for the latter.

I have no problem with the occasional call that's invalid; blown calls happen. That shit happened all night. Worst 60 minutes of refereeing I've seen.

Again, no hard feelings Jags, but that crew should be dismantled.

PalmerSteel
10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
get so tired of people that whine and blame the refs on the outcomes of games. happens way too often. good teams overcome adversity. period! just like we never heard the end of that bronco crap where it was a fumble. guess what? they still needed 13 yards to win it! reffing is part of the game and so is human error. get over it because questionable calls will always be there, some for and some against. thats sports. thank you.....

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Ya don't say. Weren't you getting upset with all the BS though before we took the lead. As I said, they won DESPITE the refs. I think I've complained about officiating twice in recent years; tonight and during the 2005 divisional playoff game against the Colts. Sue me.

That call sucked, but it was just a bad call. It wasn't four quarters of phantom calls and lopsided strictness.

NJarhead
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
get so tired of people that whine and blame the refs on the outcomes of games. happens way too often. good teams overcome adversity. period! just like we never heard the end of that bronco crap where it was a fumble. guess what? they still needed 13 yards to win it! reffing is part of the game and so is human error. get over it because questionable calls will always be there, some for and some against. thats sports. thank you.....

Which the Steelers did and what makes this victory even more sweet. But understand this, the refs DO screw up calls and they DO change games and it IS aggravating.

That call sucked, but it was just a bad call. It wasn't four quarters of phantom calls and lopsided strictness.

Thank goodness for that.

NJarhead
10-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe I was missing something and someone can explain it to me, but I was wondering how the Jags were able to call a timeout halfway through a play we started at 2:07 in the 4Q. When they reset the clock they set it to 2:02. ?

I guess they called it at 2:02, but they have the option to burn the timeout for the sake of saving the two minute warning until after the next play IF the refs want to grant it to them.

That, or it was more ref bs. :laughing: :wink02:

lilyoder6
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM
refs makes bad call sometimes.. but they usually never make THESE many bad calls in a game against 1 team..

X-Terminator
10-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Point taken, but when a call is blatantly blown, like the Harrison "roughing the passer" call or your example in the Broncos game, people are going to complain about it. That's just the way it is, like it or not.

St33lersguy
10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Worst officiating I've seen ina while. Some of the worst calls I've seen since Morelli blowing the Polomalu INT back in 05 vs Colts. Did someone pay them to screw the Steelers over?

SuzyPeppercorn
10-06-2008, 08:41 PM
did anyone notice the call against the steelers when the ref was visibly angry.

his face was red and he was shouting to the main ref what the call was. I think this was the call that angered me the most. A ref shouldn't get his emotions involved in the game.

steelerzfannforever
10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
A few years or so ago, I began to notice that whenever Ron Winter, (last nights referee) was officiating our games there always seemed to be questionable calls at the most opportune times that would completely benefit other teams. It seems that this guy completely hates the Steelers and does this crap on purpose. In no way do I have rose colored glasses on because I am an official myself at the high school level, and I do not normally question officials. However, there is just something about this guy that is not right, and last nights call against Harrison completely convinced me of my premonitions. Ron Winter needs to be fired as an NFL official.

ben7
10-06-2008, 10:32 PM
The Nate Washington "Taunting" call was questionable also.

tyler289
10-06-2008, 10:53 PM
The Nate Washington "Taunting" call was questionable also.

As was the Jaguars' taunting call in the first quarter.

jjpro11
10-07-2008, 12:53 AM
nobody should be complaining about the penalty on clark. it was clearly late and unnecessary.. everyone on here would be pissed as hell if someone did that to hines or santonio. that was an anthony smith bonehead move.. clark is smarter than that. i really dont know what came over him. the ball hit the ground right in front of clark's view, but he still took 2 or 3 steps and hit jones while when he clearly didnt have the ball

SteelMember
10-07-2008, 01:34 PM
The officals seem to usually blow at least 1-2 calls a week, pretty consistently.
I have no conspiracy theory model, but

Harrison's late hit was total BS.
Taylor's was questionable, but we always seem to lose those.
Clark's appeared to be late, so I'll agree, but defend he was still going full speed before the whistle blew.
Washington's just seemed to be a make-up call. Call them all or none, although I believe the rule specifies "standing over a player" as taunting for their foul.

We won, but I'm sure we can continue this thread every week. :noidea: