PDA

View Full Version : I've become really sick of the No Fun League

jjpro11
10-06-2008, 02:47 AM
this is a rant.. but after the game tonight, it made me realize how stupid all these rules have become. games are getting decided because of guys running their mouths or feeding their egos, rather than making plays on the field. the experiment of banning celebrations and all that other stuff should just end already. football is a game and ENTERTAINMENT. let the players celebrate a touchdown, dance, dance with teammates, whatever they do.. banning props such as cell phones, signs, or anything else is fine. flagrantly taunting the other team should also be penalized. the rest of it is ridiculous.. spike the ball and get a penalty? c'mon.. there is no consistency with the calls..

just tonight, nate washington waved at the defender as he was going into the end zone.. i thought for sure he was going to be penalized just like reggie bush did a couple weeks ago when he waved to a defender while entering the end zone. i am obviously glad that they didnt call it on nate, but it still leads to inconsistency and gives refs the ability to call these kinds of penalties whenever they feel like it.. if they dont like a player or they are in a bad move, they can throw the flag.. if they dont throw the flag, then it just gets brushed off and never mentioned.

the taunting call that did get called on nate tonight was a joke as well.. i dont think he even said anything other than smile and show the sidelines the football. these are grown men, if they cant handle a 180 lb WR showing off his football after making a catch, then they shouldnt be playing football in the NFL.

just last week harrison and woodley were almost flagged for both jumping into the stands after a td.. how stupid was that? the ref actually did throw the flag, but called it back when he determined harrison didnt actually enter the stands.. the mere thought of the refs looking out for a penalty to call like that is a joke in itself.

Preacher
10-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Not sure I can disagree with anyone more....

This is football, not professional wrestling. Fact is, I am very satisfied with the crackdown on idiots running thier mouths after the play.

You wanna run it between the whistles? Fine. But enough is enough.

Sorry, but sharpies and line-dancing in the endzone don't belong in football.

Mosca
10-06-2008, 11:02 AM
The problem with taunting is that it turns into fighting. With all the talk about how today's players are bigger, faster, stronger, and quicker, not much is said about how much more EMOTIONALLY intense players are today than they were in the past. Even low key guys like Polamalu have trouble controlling their intensity (witness Troy's problems with late hits for most of his career).

Years ago, it was only guys like Lambert and Tatum who were maniacs; now it seems like everyone is on a razor's edge. What the league is doing is right.

revefsreleets
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
The gold standard is still Barry Sanders. Dude never said a word to anyone, just played his game.

Michael Keller
10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Not sure I can disagree with anyone more....

This is football, not professional wrestling. Fact is, I am very satisfied with the crackdown on idiots running thier mouths after the play.

You wanna run it between the whistles? Fine. But enough is enough.

Sorry, but sharpies and line-dancing in the endzone don't belong in football.

IBID Preach

I am all for self control and I do not think it is FUN. Washinton could have been flagged and hopefully he will be told about it.

I know that these guys are young men but they are professionals and I believe they should act like it. You can grow up in the NFL like Joe Greene did or you can be like T.O. and go play for Jerry Jones Or Chad Johnson and play for the the Bungles & do whatever you please.

jjpro11
10-06-2008, 11:56 AM
there is too much inconsistency in the calls for these rules, the way they are now, to be good for the league. i hate chad johnson and his stupid gimmick celebrations as much as anyone one on here.. but there is just too much inconsistency between officials that can effect the outcome of the game.

X-Terminator
10-06-2008, 12:29 PM
If Hines Ward and Ed Reed want to talk some smack during the game, I have no problem with that. Football is an emotional game, and that sort of smack talk has been going on before the ESPN generation came along. I don't even mind end zone celebrations provided that they are celebrating with their teammates or the fans. But I draw the line at anything that shows up the other team or is nothing but an attention-wh0ring gimmick, like TO and Ocho Stinko do. The NFL is right to crack down on that sort of nonsense.

GBMelBlount
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
this is a rant.. but after the game tonight, it made me realize how stupid all these rules have become. games are getting decided because of guys running their mouths or feeding their egos, rather than making plays on the field. the experiment of banning celebrations and all that other stuff should just end already. football is a game and ENTERTAINMENT. let the players celebrate a touchdown, dance, dance with teammates, whatever they do.. banning props such as cell phones, signs, or anything else is fine. flagrantly taunting the other team should also be penalized. the rest of it is ridiculous.. spike the ball and get a penalty? c'mon.. there is no consistency with the calls..

I'm sorry to bring politics into this jjpro, but this is the same thing as government solutions and social engineering. All these rules are being implemented ostensibly to make things fairer and better for all, and the result is quite often the exact opposite of the stated intent. Nothing like trying to over legislate civility and manners into an inherently brutal game. Especially how a refs subjective interpretation of taunting can directly affect who gets the win after 60 minutes of hard played football. I agree there needs to be rules, especially for protection, but some of this is getting ridiculous imo.

The_WARDen
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm under the opinion that if you don't want one of those idiots celebrating in the end zone then stop them from scoring.

Preacher
10-06-2008, 02:41 PM
If Hines Ward and Ed Reed want to talk some smack during the game, I have no problem with that. Football is an emotional game, and that sort of smack talk has been going on before the ESPN generation came along. I don't even mind end zone celebrations provided that they are celebrating with their teammates or the fans. But I draw the line at anything that shows up the other team or is nothing but an attention-wh0ring gimmick, like TO and Ocho Stinko do. The NFL is right to crack down on that sort of nonsense.

I think we are pretty close on the continuum here X-term.

I don't want to take away the "Lambeau Leap" I think it is a great thing for the fans actually.

I like how you say it. Showingup the other team, or drawing attention to yourself like Ocho and TO.

Question is, how do you put that into a regulation?

stlrtruck
10-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I think we are pretty close on the continuum here X-term.

I don't want to take away the "Lambeau Leap" I think it is a great thing for the fans actually.

I like how you say it. Showingup the other team, or drawing attention to yourself like Ocho and TO.

Question is, how do you put that into a regulation?

I guess that's the rhetorical question about it all. Especially since the judgment would be an interpretation of the rule rather than the outline of a rule.

Personally, I think the NFL needs to change their mindset on a few rules:
1) Let the players enjoy the game. As a fan, I enjoyed it more when the players were out there having fun and not getting flagged for every comment or look they gave to an opposing player
2) Cut down on this after the whistle sheninagans. That's how players get hurt, not by jawwing.
3) Excessive celebration on the field is a nuisance, even when it's a Steelers player. Allow a few seconds and then flag them. I think 5 seconds is good.
4) Hire the refs on a FT basis so that they and the NFL become accountable and responsible for putting the best product on the field.
5) Write the rules so they avoid human judgment and invoke understanding.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I guess that's the rhetorical question about it all. Especially since the judgment would be an interpretation of the rule rather than the outline of a rule.

Personally, I think the NFL needs to change their mindset on a few rules:
1) Let the players enjoy the game. As a fan, I enjoyed it more when the players were out there having fun and not getting flagged for every comment or look they gave to an opposing player

Exactly. If Mean Joe and Jack Lambert played in today's game, they'd get thrown out of games.

2) Cut down on this after the whistle sheninagans. That's how players get hurt, not by jawwing.

I agree, to a point. It's an emotional game and at times emotions run high. There will be shoving, but as long as it doesn't go beyond shoving, I have no problems.

3) Excessive celebration on the field is a nuisance, even when it's a Steelers player. Allow a few seconds and then flag them. I think 5 seconds is good.

Agreement again. I never had a problem with Porter's "da boot". I don't have a problem with a quick celebration of a TD, a sack, and big tackle, or pointing ahead for the first down much like Hines Ward does. However when it gets to be "look at me-haha look i beat you on that play" crap like TO and Crotcho Stinko it's no longer fun.

4) Hire the refs on a FT basis so that they and the NFL become accountable and responsible for putting the best product on the field.

People have been asking for this for years. Maybe refs would care more if they were full time and didn't have to carry a full time job during the week and didn't do reffereeing as a hobby. Most of the refs are lawyers, they have many other things on their mind during the week than becoming a better ref.

5) Write the rules so they avoid human judgment and invoke understanding.

Unfortunatly, as long as humans officiate the games there will always be human judgement. You can call holding on every play, but it is up the the official's judgement if the hold is worth being called. It is the officials judgement if the ball crossed the goalline on a close play. They have to make these desicions in real time, they don't have the ability to go to slow-mo replay on every play to get it right like we do on television.

steelreserve
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Years ago, it was only guys like Lambert and Tatum who were maniacs; now it seems like everyone is on a razor's edge. What the league is doing is right.

Not so much that everyone's on a razor's edge; more like they're constantly trying to show each other up for some kind of ghetto bragging rights. First doowwwwwwwwwwwwn!

I've really got no problem with them trying to stop that type of shit. It's useless and makes everyone look bad. But for some reason, they feel the need to extend their rules to include things that aren't dirty or unsportsmanlike, just stuff that's always been part of the game. Pretty soon you won't be allowed to spike the ball, and instead of rushing the quarterback, you'll have to count seven alligators.

stlrtruck
10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
instead of rushing the quarterback, you'll have to count seven alligators.

Add 10 Mississippi and depending on location of the field you the defense has to be betwee 3-5 yards off the LOS.

stlrtruck
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM
instead of rushing the quarterback, you'll have to count seven alligators.

Add 10 Mississippi and depending on location on the field the defense has to be between 3-5 yards off the LOS.