PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward

SCSTILLER
10-06-2008, 08:44 AM
OK everyone, i know I am going to take a lot of heat for this subject, but I have to bring it up to see what everyone else thinks. Please be gentle :wink02:

Does it seem like Hines Ward is dropping more passes this year than in past seasons. I seem to see two or three plays a game where he is dropping the ball. Last night he dropped a TD in the back of the endzone early in the game (I know, he caught the fade pattern). I am not trying to say Hines needs to sit or anything wild like that as I do beleive he is one of the best in the league, but he is dropping a few. I have seen him take some absolutely brutal hits in the past and still hold on to the ball, but have seen him drop some routine ones this year. Just an observation, remember the statement in BOLD as you fire the rounds in my direction :chuckle:

Now, lets here what everyone thinks!

fansince'76
10-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Yep, I have noticed him dropping more than in the past, but he is also coming back and redeeming himself for the drops as well.

CanadianSteel
10-06-2008, 09:57 AM
No heat coming from me as it is a correct observation. Not sure about the drops but as mentioned as lonmg as he redeems himself and he also got Jags to take 2 personal foul penalties against him, to go along with his always steller blocking. All receivers will have drops... lets hope is just a phase he will come out of...

steelpride12
10-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes i saw him drop passes last night and as well against the browns which could be something to worry about, but remember everytime he drops a pass he redeems himself like with his TD catch against the browns a play after he dropped it, and last night he had several catches plus the game winning TD last night.
He is not perfect, but a damn good receiver and i give him all the credit in the world.

PisnNapalm
10-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Me too.... There was that one pass to Holmes where he got rocked right after the catch. I thought to myself. "The the kind of catch Hines used to make."

Don't get me wrong.... Hines can still make those catches but other ones where I'm sure he's gonna catch it .... he doesn't. Example.... Back of the endzone in the Jag's game. I was half out of my chair to yell touchdown before I realized he didn't catch it.

PisnNapalm
10-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I forgot to add that I do think Hines is the best WO the Steelers have ever had. Day in and day out... the best.

vasteeler
10-06-2008, 10:23 AM
The only problem that I have is after he drops a catchable ball he is smiling

Carolina Steelers
10-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I forgot to add that I do think Hines is the best WO the Steelers have ever had. Day in and day out... the best.

I agree Ward is the best WR the Steelers have ever had I understand back in the 70's we ran the ball more. But if we didnt win 4 SB's I dont think Swann or Stallworth would be in the Hall. If somehow the Steelers could win 1 more Super Bowl while Hines is still there I think he could be a Hall Of Famer!!!:helmet:

rbryan
10-06-2008, 10:34 AM
IMO HW is a first ballot HOFer but it probably won't happen because he doesn't have the gaudy numbers (or the shameless self promotion) of todays highly regarded WR's.

There won't be enough voters who can look past "just numbers" which is a real shame. If an OL can make the HOF without ever making a catch or scoring a TD then theres got to be a place for Hines. He's laid out more LB's than half the OL in the HOF.

fansince'76
10-06-2008, 10:36 AM
IMO HW is a first ballot HOFer but it probably won't happen because he doesn't have the gaudy numbers (or the shameless self promotion) of todays highly regarded WR's.

There won't be enough voters who can look past "just numbers" which is a real shame. If an OL can make the HOF without ever making a catch or scoring a TD then theres got to be a place for Hines. He's laid out more LB's than half the OL in the HOF.

HW is going to be another Art Monk, if he gets in at all, for exactly those reasons.

klick81
10-06-2008, 10:38 AM
He is dropping a few...can't argue with that. But I think he still more than makes up for those drops with the intensity he brings onto the football field on every play.

MrMalu43
10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
The thing about Ward is that he has the "hands", something me and buddy cooked up. If you look at his past seasons, he's caught some WTF passes and made some amazing saves. Dropping a few balls here and there doesn't have its excuses, but he has and probably will redeem himself.

jjpro11
10-06-2008, 11:01 AM

its probably just his way of putting the drop behind him.. players need to have a very short term memory to be successful.. if you let that kind of thing eat at you, your entire game will be thrown off.

X-Terminator
10-06-2008, 11:05 AM
OK everyone, i know I am going to take a lot of heat for this subject, but I have to bring it up to see what everyone else thinks. Please be gentle :wink02:

Does it seem like Hines Ward is dropping more passes this year than in past seasons. I seem to see two or three plays a game where he is dropping the ball. Last night he dropped a TD in the back of the endzone early in the game (I know, he caught the fade pattern). I am not trying to say Hines needs to sit or anything wild like that as I do beleive he is one of the best in the league, but he is dropping a few. I have seen him take some absolutely brutal hits in the past and still hold on to the ball, but have seen him drop some routine ones this year. Just an observation, remember the statement in BOLD as you fire the rounds in my direction :chuckle:

Now, lets here what everyone thinks!

No bashing here, man. Hines has had his share of drops and if he catches that one pass at the end of the first half, we get 6 instead of 3 and have a 10 point lead at halftime. He almost dropped the GW TD as well - he juggled it a bit before getting a grasp on it. I'm not quite sure why he's dropped so many passes, but as has been said, he always redeems himself and brings so much more to the table, so I can forgive a few drops.

The Duke
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
hines sucks. put sweed in, at least he is tall :chuckle:

has hines dropped anything on 3rd down? can't seem to remember, but he's almost always money on 3rd down

his drops are kinda worrisome, but he does make up for it

SCSTILLER
10-06-2008, 12:06 PM
hines sucks. put sweed in, at least he is tall :chuckle:

Hell, I say bring back Fred Gibson, he was tall also.

I agree, Hines does make up for the drops ten fold with his blocking, intensity, and big time catches (I know I am contradicting myself on this), but I am afraid he is going to drop a catch that is going to cost us a game. Hasn't done it yet, and hope he never does, but I guess it could happen to any receiver.

As for the HOF, I think he will be an Art Monk type. If he got were a Cowboy, loudmouth, showboat, cocaine addict, and had prostitutes in his hotel room, then he would be a first ballot inductee :chuckle:

STEELAMANIA
10-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Ward pisses off the other teams defense and gets into their heads......my kinda player.

LVSteelersfan
10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Has anyone noticed that TO has dropped a bunch of passes this year? How about Braylon Edwards? It is what happens in crunch time that really matters.

steel9guy
10-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Has anyone noticed that TO has dropped a bunch of passes this year? How about Braylon Edwards? It is what happens in crunch time that really matters.

I 100% agree even Randy Moss drops some passes. Hines made up for it though by making the Game Winning catch!!!

Preacher
10-06-2008, 03:22 PM

really? You have a problem with him smiling?

I sure don't. If that smiled disappeared, there would be something wrong.

vasteeler
10-06-2008, 03:40 PM
really? You have a problem with him smiling?

I sure don't. If that smiled disappeared, there would be something wrong.

No, dont get me wrong I love to see him smile after taking a wicked hit or making a great play. Ive just seen him drop quite a few drive killing balls and get up smiling,that irratates me so bad, almost as much as I hate to see our players laughing it up with opposing players after we lose a game. Sometimes It Seems like I take a loss harder than the players.But hey if thats all Ive Got to complain about things must bee OK:tt02:

Galax Steeler
10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
The one in the back of the endzone that was not a really good pass don't get me wrong it was catchable but I think Ben could have put in there a little bit better.

SunshineMan21
10-06-2008, 04:24 PM
It would have been a tough catch, but it's the kind of catch Hines often makes. I don't think it's worth getting concerned about.

Hapa
10-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I remember when I saw him drop his first pass this season, I couldn't believe it! I was like, Hines doesn't drop passes!

Steelman16
10-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Hines was scowlin' somethin' fierce after that back-of-the-endzone drop, but it didn't last long - his smile went back to its rightful location and he caught the game winning pass a few plays later.

He does seem to be dropping more than usual, but so far it hasn't resulted in any major disappointments.

cowboykilla
10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
If Hines don't get in the ''hall'',on the first ballot,we riot.

steel striker
10-06-2008, 09:42 PM
I think Hines deserves a free pass on this one guys and, just like in sbxl he dropped one. Then he caught the winning TD. After all he is the heart and soul of this team.

NJarhead
10-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Saw this one late. I agree, he's missed some catch opportunities. I'm sure he knows it.

ricksteelers55
10-06-2008, 10:11 PM

what do you want him to do ? take a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty ? he's smiling all the time that's him....he smiles after being hit,after catching a ball,making a block,touchdown whatever that is him....and that's fine for me

SteelersMongol
10-06-2008, 10:20 PM

That's why he's my current most favorite player. :tt02: Go HINES!

SteelersMongol
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
If Hines don't get in the ''hall'',on the first ballot,we riot.

Exactly. :tt03:

lilyoder6
10-06-2008, 10:51 PM
hines is still making plays for us... wr's will go thru a stretch of dropping a few balls.. it's ok as he keeps making key plays when we need it

Steelersfan4life0655
10-06-2008, 11:43 PM
i am not too worried. for as much as he has done for this franchise, he gets my pass.:tt03:

SteelMember
10-07-2008, 11:37 AM
I think he changed his gloves from Nike to Reebok. :noidea:

When is he not? If you find out, THEN there is a problem. He was probably just laughing at one of the LB's or Saftey's talk sh!t after the miss, besides he makes up for it most times. Also, I don't think you can compare those drops in cleveland. Windy as hell and a lot of those passes were off the mark that day...to everyone.

Hines Rulz!
:tt03:

scsteeler
10-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes Hines has dropped a few pass that in the past he would have made in spectacular fashion!

We have become spoiled by Hines catching everything thrown close to him in over the years.
:tt02:

Rhee Rhee
10-08-2008, 03:09 AM

that's hines for you.

steelpride12
10-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Drops or not Hines is a hall of fame receiver, who is up there with Stallworth, and Swan maybe better, and he has a heart of gold. Couln't ask for much more.

tyler289
10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
It seems like a lot of his drops happen when he gets nailed. You don't see him dropping passes when he's wide open. He's been dropping more than he used to, but he makes up for it.

MrHarrison92
10-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Sad to say, hes getting old. Last season he caught a big pass but had to run the rest of the way to the endzone, which he had nothing but grass in front of him. But he took off running but had to step out of bounds because he was too tired to run as fast as he could. Hes getting older, and slower. He's still a hall of famer but he needs to get this ball handling under control before they are forced to make some decisions. Hate to say all of that but thats apart pf life.