PDA

View Full Version : Ben Going Down The Steve McNair Road?

Atlanta Dan
10-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I am among those who have questioned Ben's exaggeration of injuries in the past - but after last night I will enjoy Ben toughing it out as long as he is able to do so and quit claiming he can be a diva.

That having been said, Ben cannot continue to take hits at the current rate. While the current benefit of big plays outweighs the current cost of sacks, the long term cost of repeated hits is going to shorten Ben's career.

The closest analogy I can come up with is Steve McNair - Ben is a better passer than McNair, but Ben has McNair's grit in taking a hit and staying in the game despite being hurt. Unfortunately, McNair was pretty much beaten up and on the decline after about 6 years as a starter - if current trends continue Ben will never last the length of his contract.

Not intended to be a sky is falling claim, just an observation that Ben is going to need to somehow modify his style of trying to keep every play alive (not all the hits are due to the OL) or be on the decline due to wear & tear sooner rather than later.

steelpride12
10-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Im guessing and hoping the offensive line will improve over the seasons and Ben won't get beat up as much.

Mcnair had a successful seasons, but injury did ruin him, and im guessing this great franchise will do there best to keep him upright.

MrHarrison92
10-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Some of the hits he took last night he had to take just to get the throw off. But your right he can't take unnecessary hits. That offensive line needs a lot of work.

X-Terminator
10-06-2008, 10:57 AM
I am among those who have questioned Ben's exaggeration of injuries in the past - but after last night I will enjoy Ben toughing it out as long as he is able to do so and quit claiming he can be a diva.

That having been said, Ben cannot continue to take hits at the current rate. While the current benefit of big plays outweighs the current cost of sacks, the long term cost of repeated hits is going to shorten Ben's career.

The closest analogy I can come up with is Steve McNair - Ben is a better passer than McNair, but Ben has McNair's grit in taking a hit and staying in the game despite being hurt. Unfortunately, McNair was pretty much beaten up and on the decline after about 6 years as a starter - if current trends continue Ben will never last the length of his contract.

Not intended to be a sky is falling claim, just an observation that Ben is going to need to somehow modify his style of trying to keep every play alive (not all the hits are due to the OL) or be on the decline due to wear & tear sooner rather than later.

It is a legitimate concern, AD, but I don't see Ben altering his style too much. He's a gambler and a gunslinger, and he will always look for the big play if he can get it. Improving the OL will go a long way toward keeping him upright so that he doesn't take as many sacks, and he'll start getting rid of the ball quicker as his career goes on, but his mentality will not change. He has Steve Young's elusiveness, Steve McNair's toughness and John Elway's gunslinger mentality all rolled into one. So like you, I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching him, and hope that the FO finally addresses the OL problem in order to extend his career and we can enjoy watching him play at a high level for many more seasons.

Tim
10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Yeah, that's definitely a concern. The way he was holding his arm there at the end last night I thought there was no way he was throwing the ball, but there he went throwing on consecutive downs, the last being the TD pass.

rbryan
10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Makes you wonder how good Ben might be behind an OL like the Cowboys, not to mention how Romo might look behind the Steelers OL.

If I hear one more idiot analyst talk about how great Romo is I'm going to puke.

Preacher
10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
AD....

good call.

I haven't done this, but a look at John Elways hits, sacks, and career numbers might be in order, as he is the closest representitive of what Ben does.

missedgehead
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, I have the same concern that AD has. I feel, even though it is great to see him making those great plays and such, that he has to alter his playing style. He can not continue to take all those hits. He still at times, holds the ball too long and depends a bit too much on his mobility. I am scared that he is going to suffer an injury one of these days to his knees ala Culpepper and lose that mobility and become a very bad QB fast.

HometownGal
10-06-2008, 05:01 PM
It is a legitimate concern, AD, but I don't see Ben altering his style too much. He's a gambler and a gunslinger, and he will always look for the big play if he can get it. Improving the OL will go a long way toward keeping him upright so that he doesn't take as many sacks, and he'll start getting rid of the ball quicker as his career goes on, but his mentality will not change. He has Steve Young's elusiveness, Steve McNair's toughness and John Elway's gunslinger mentality all rolled into one. So like you, I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching him, and hope that the FO finally addresses the OL problem in order to extend his career and we can enjoy watching him play at a high level for many more seasons.

Great post and I agree wholeheartedly with you here. Ben is as tough and gritty as they come, like McNair, and I hope the FO values their million dollar man as much as we fans (and the team) does by getting him an OL that will protect him sooner rather than later.

Good topic, AD! :drink:

RoethlisBURGHer
10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Ben does hold on to the ball to long. But at times "to long" is three steps into his dropback.

It's not 100% the line and not 100% Big Ben...it's a big combination of both,

The line makes "to long" a very short time, very often. In which it doesn't let screens or hot routes develop.

However, if Ben throws the ball alway as often as people want him to, we go 3-and-out a whole lot more and we're probally 2-3 right now isntead of 4-1.

Hapa
10-06-2008, 05:40 PM
That is true, wear and tear is what makes the old players have to retire. It isn't being old- they're still fast and athletic. It's those little injuries that build up and build up and don't quite completely heal.