PDA

View Full Version : Should Kirschke start over Keisel?

HereWeGoSteelers219
10-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Kirschke has been a monster so far. He has 21 tackles in 3 games started. Meanwhile, Keisel had 5 in two games. Once Keisel comes back, I think you gotta play the hot hand and start Travis.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-06-2008, 03:31 PM
I am thinking the samae thing.

Travis is getting a push upfield that Keisel seems to never be able to get.

Stlrs4Life
10-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Think it's too early to tell. It's only been 2 games.

steelreserve
10-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm always, ALWAYS in favor of sticking with the guy who's producing results. If Kirschke is putting up those numbers, leave him in there unless he shows he can't keep it up.

rbryan
10-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Something tells me Keisel has been paying attention as well.

Thats not a bad problem to have.

SunshineMan21
10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Kirschke has certainly been playing well, but Keisel will have his job when he gets back. It's not like Kirschke will be warming the bench--we rotate lineman enough that guys like Kirshke and Hoke got plenty of PT even before the injuries.

It's a mark of the strength of our defense that we started the season with guys like Hoke, Timmons, Kirschke, and McFadden on our bench.

Dino 6 Rings
10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I think part of his high number of tackles could be the fact that teams are running at his side to test him and avoiding Smith.

If the other team has a back up DE on one side, and a Stud on the other, you know darn well we'd be running away from the stud.

Edman
10-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Keisel will get his starting job back. But that doesn't mean Kirschke will be sent to the bench. Our D-Line is continuously rotated. Each guy on the depth chart has contributed.

As long as Aaron Smith is healthy, our D-Line is fine.

steelpride12
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Think it's too early to tell. It's only been 2 games.

Agreed, but Keisel does not do much for the line, he is not the pressure linemen or anchor, and its a good question to ask yourself.

jjpro11
10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
kirschke has been in the backfield a surprising amount of time from what i have seen. keisel was great as a situational pass rusher.. maybe that is the role that best suits him? i dont know. neither of them are all-pros, but they get the job done pretty well.

DACEB
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
kirschke has been in the backfield a surprising amount of time from what i have seen. keisel was great as a situational pass rusher.. maybe that is the role that best suits him? i dont know. neither of them are all-pros, but they get the job done pretty well.

They've done an excellent job of rotating these guys in and out without missing a beat. Eason and Roye have been solid as well. The line looks incredibly solid and Keisels return will only bolster that further. Maybe Keisels pass rushing skills will shine with the proper rotation. A rotation somewhat like Footes and Timmons.

rbryan puts it best...
Something tells me Keisel has been paying attention as well.
Thats not a bad problem to have.

wootawnee
10-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Bret is way more effective when he does not have to contact a lineman...He plays like a line backer.......Remember in 04-05....He was a monster on the kick/special teams......He made most of the tackles.....He should be a line backer.....It is more instinctual to him and he can pusue fast......I still remember how fast he ran down Mistake by Jake Plummer in the 05 afc championship game.......He is not a good lineman pusher.....But a great ball chaser.....

MasterOfPuppets
10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Agreed, but Keisel does not do much for the line, he is not the pressure linemen or anchor, and its a good question to ask yourself.
didn't kiesel lead the steelers last year in QB PRESSURES ?

ben7
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I would still start the more expierienced Kiesel.

GBMelBlount
10-06-2008, 09:07 PM
didn't kiesel lead the steelers last year in QB PRESSURES ?

Yeah, but that's just a statistic, not necessarily an indication of REAL pressure. :chuckle:

lilyoder6
10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
either way.. keisal and kirchske will still have a lot of playing time.. the rotation of the d-linemen is going good it seems like.. if eason is doing good

Preacher
10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
either way.. keisal and kirchske will still have a lot of playing time.. the rotation of the d-linemen is going good it seems like.. if eason is doing good

The importance of rotation will be keeping our lineman fresh in the second half of the season.

Petesburgh66
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I think part of his high number of tackles could be the fact that teams are running at his side to test him and avoiding Smith.

I agree. This makes the most logical sense.

tony hipchest
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
funny how just this offseason (after being re-signed by tomlin and the rooneys) kirchke was looked at as nothing more than a scrub who needed to be replaced by a rookie. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
10-06-2008, 10:08 PM
funny how just this offseason (after being re-signed by tomlin and the rooneys) kirchke was looked at as nothing more than a scrub who needed to be replaced by a rookie. :noidea:i'm getting a kirchke jersey....:popcorn:

tony hipchest
10-06-2008, 10:10 PM
i'm getting a kirchke jersey....:popcorn:i just got my mewelde moore.

MasterOfPuppets
10-06-2008, 10:16 PM
i just got my mewelde moore.:laughing:

lilyoder6
10-06-2008, 10:54 PM
eason has been playing good as well... oddly enough,. lol.. and last night roye was doing alright

SunshineMan21
10-07-2008, 12:39 AM
funny how just this offseason (after being re-signed by tomlin and the rooneys) kirchke was looked at as nothing more than a scrub who needed to be replaced by a rookie. :noidea:

Personally, my concern about our defensive line depth is related to age, not quality.

Here are the ages of our DL:

Nick Eason--28
Casey Hampton--31
Chris Hoke--32
Brett Keisel--30
Travis Kirshke--34
Scott Paxson--25
Orpheus Roye--35
Aaron Smith--32

The benefit of this (aside from how good our starters are in general) is that our backups are experienced pros who have been around. Their play has been excellent so far. The downside is that with a line as old as ours injuries increasingly become a concern (as we're seeing now with Hampton, Keisel, and Eason).

While our line is strong right now, this has to be our second priority--behind OL--in upcoming drafts. Guys like Kirshke and Roye are near the end of their careers--really all of our significant players are past 30. We need to make sure that when these guys are done, we have more young guys ready to go be the next Aaron Smith.

Management has done a good job in drafting depth in pretty much every non-OL position, but our DL is going to become increasingly vulnerable to injury if we don't get some younger bodies in there.

Steeldude
10-07-2008, 07:32 AM
most definitely. or at least wait until keisel is 100% healthy rather than 90 to 95%. same goes for hampton. have him lose some more weight too.

DACEB
10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
i just got my mewelde moore.

Already have my Leftwich....oooh, that's not bad karma is it?

lilyoder6
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
i would like to get our hands on yson jackson... but i doubt that will happen.. but i can def see us getting o/d line.. i just think last yr.. the o-line panic button was hit that many players were drafted to high

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2008, 11:36 PM
i just got my mewelde moore.

Man....its too late for me to cancel my Patrick Bailey :banging:

I love special teams.

Keisel starts in 2 weeks. I'm out.