PDA

View Full Version : Harrison got fined!

MrMalu43
10-07-2008, 12:41 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_591959.html?source=rss&feed=9

He has a right to be pissed off! That was such a crap call, and to be fined? Bah!

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-07-2008, 12:50 AM
"Unless (the referee) might have money on it, I don't know."

"Maybe (the referee) was just trying to give them a first down."

Probably is a little bit out of line. Unfortunately the players are in a position where they can't voice their opinions. I'm surprised the NFL has the balls to threaten a fine after that debacle. Whaaaaatevs.

hizmi
10-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Probably is a little bit out of line. Unfortunately the players are in a position where they can't voice their opinions. I'm surprised the NFL has the balls to threaten a fine after that debacle. Whaaaaatevs.

You can't be questioning the integrity of the officials, no matter how bad the call was.

Aussie_steeler
10-07-2008, 02:09 AM
The hit was fine but the post match comment wasnt needed.

This years team is starting to play with a bit of a chip on their shoulders. It seems to have them pretty well motivated to deal with the bumps along the way.

Galax Steeler
10-07-2008, 03:47 AM
I don't agree with the call he has a good argument but you cant say nothing about the officiating.

Texasteel
10-07-2008, 05:02 AM
It doesn't surprise me with that good for nothing pantywaist of a commissioner we have. If it had been a Patty that stabbed someone in the pile he would probably fined the official for throwing the flag. :mad:

steelwall
10-07-2008, 05:20 AM
I pose the question.....should refs be held accountable for their actions (or lack there of) like players? Fines perhaps?

stillers4me
10-07-2008, 05:20 AM
I wouldn't care so much if once, just once once, they would call a penalty on one of Ben's hits. You can't tell me that as many times as he gets hit, they are all legal.

Texasteel
10-07-2008, 05:41 AM
I wouldn't care so much if once, just once once, they would call a penalty on one of Ben's hits. You can't tell me that as many times as he gets hit, they are all legal.

I think it is more likely that you'll see Ben flagged for roughing the tackler.

SteelersMongol
10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
He needs 2 learn 2 shut up, since there is nothing the players can do, unless they want get higher fines.

jjpro11
10-07-2008, 08:21 AM
hmm.. a steelers outside linebacker speaking his mind without a care in the world. didnt we have a guy like that a couple years ago?

fansince'76
10-07-2008, 08:28 AM
You can't be questioning the integrity of the officials....

Unless you happen to be a big fat blubbering walrus named "Mike Holmgren," of course.

HometownGal
10-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Silverback probably should have used better judgment, true, but that was one of the lamest calls I've ever seen and he has every right to be pissed off.

Sad that the NFL has turned into such a pussified league.

atlsteelers
10-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Silverback probably should have used better judgment, true, but that was one of the lamest calls I've ever seen and he has every right to be pissed off.

Sad that the NFL has turned into such a pussified league.

almost as lame as that call in the titans vs ravens game. the refs have gotten carried away trying to protect the qbs. this is football if they have not forgotten

Leftoverhard
10-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I think it is more likely that you'll see Ben flagged for roughing the tackler.

LOL. :laughing:

tyler289
10-07-2008, 09:09 AM
the call was garbage, but players can't talk about the officiating without getting a fine.

scsteeler
10-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Before long we will be playing flag football in the NFL. I mean what is Harrison suppose to do stop to see if the QB will hold onto the ball and then proceed with a potential sack.

rbryan
10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I think somebody needs to look into the referee who called it. IMO it looked like he had money on the game too.

Thats OK though, I like it when Harrison has a reason to be pissed off....... Where you at 85??

Hobbes
10-07-2008, 09:35 AM
almost as lame as that call in the titans vs ravens game. the refs have gotten carried away trying to protect the qbs. this is football if they have not forgotten

Agreed. I had a feeling this was coming after I read Harrison's comments Monday morning. It was a BS call he did'nt even wrap him up as he hit him. :banging:

CanadianSteel
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Its a actually refreshing to see a player be blunt and comment on what he (and we all) are thinking. ( J.Peezy school of thought :chuckle: )
Enough of the politically correct stuff all the time, and yes these refs should start being held accountable in some way, shape, or form.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
You can't be questioning the integrity of the officials, no matter how bad the call was.

Exactly!! Tim Donaghy has proven that.

steelpride12
10-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Should have the right to say whether the call is good or not freedom of speech.

DACEB
10-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I would rather the officials hold the flag and let the league impose a penalty after the game than change the landscape of the game over a bad judgement call.

As someone stated earlier, maybe some of us wouldn't be so upset if these calls weren't so onesided. Really, the Rooneys need to talk to the commish!

rick723
10-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Porter didn't get fined for the Indy int last year. I bet they don't fine Harrison. If they do I hope next time that ream gets our game, Jamed runs his butt over, and Woodley "tripps" on his face

The Duke
10-07-2008, 10:55 AM
You don't make a call like that in a situation like that, c'mon. Unless (the referee) might have money on it, I don't know."

well....that's a bit too much. I know he was upset, but you gotta be smart

I agree that the call was BS though. but that's not surprising at this point

steelreserve
10-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I won't agree with fining players for complaining about the officiating, until the day they start fining refs for making bad calls in the first place.

Steely McSmash
10-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Should have the right to say whether the call is good or not freedom of speech.

He has the freedom of speech. No one's preventing him from speaking freely. Unfortunately the NFL has a rather small minded opinion of how to handle these things. It's well within the NFL's right as a private corporation to this.

Maybe Arlen Spector should get involved? :)

I think he was effectively asking for the fine by saying all that about the ref maybe having money on the game.

I'd like it if there were a player's grievance comittee that would review this kind of thing so the player would have some outlet to say "I'm going to have this reviewed by the comittee" instead of knowing that they have no recourse and being so frustrated by that.

Mosca
10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Harrison got penalized for his hit, which wasn't even borderline IMO but a flat out wrong call, and he got fined for his comments... but Adrian Wilson took a flagrant helmet-to-helmet shot that sidelined Trent Edwards with a concussion, on a play where he had full control of how he hit the QB,and he was neither penalized nor fined, and not even reviewed.

I think that the biggest problem is that kind of inconsistency. One hit is obviously within the rules, and gets flagged; the other is obviously not, and gets a pass. What are the players supposed to do?

atlsteelers
10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Harrison got penalized for his hit, which wasn't even borderline IMO but a flat out wrong call, and he got fined for his comments... but Adrian Wilson took a flagrant helmet-to-helmet shot that sidelined Trent Edwards with a concussion, on a play where he had full control of how he hit the QB,and he was neither penalized nor fined, and not even reviewed.

I think that the biggest problem is that kind of inconsistency. One hit is obviously within the rules, and gets flagged; the other is obviously not, and gets a pass. What are the players supposed to do?

i saw that hit that wilson pu ton edwards - i did not think there was anything wrong with it, he led with his shoulder pads and did not really drive him into the ground. i thought it was a good football play. i agree with you on the incosistency calling the play is the biggest problem

SCSTILLER
10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
The flag was complete BS as the the hit was legal. I don't want to see players start to hold up on the QB just to have the QB get away or pump fake. This happened a few years ago when the D-lineman thought the whistle was going to be blown, let up, QB got away to complete the pass.

The fine, unfortunately, is justified! The way the NFL protects it's refs is ridiculous. I say start fining them, hit them where it hurts. There is no accountability except for an apology from the NFL after the game is decided. Heck, Ed Hockulee (sp), is still ref'ing and he completely blew a call.

Good hit Harrison, keep 'em coming! They can't flag you for all your legal hits!

MasterOfPuppets
10-07-2008, 02:10 PM
i think right after the fine is levied, the official should have to spend 5 minutes in a dark ally with harrison explaining why he called it.....:thumbsup:

CanadianSteel
10-07-2008, 02:28 PM
You think the rules on hiiting the QB are bad now wait until next year when Mr wonderful comes back for the PATS *.
If you just fart in the pocket it is liable to draw a flag in Pats * game next year....

fansince'76
10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
You think the rules on hiiting the QB are bad now wait until next year when Mr wonderful comes back for the PATS *.
If you just fart in the pocket it is liable to draw a flag in Pats * game next year....

Yep. Can't wait to see the rules changes this offseason is going to bring due to that. :rolleyes: :coffee:

Texasteel
10-07-2008, 03:03 PM

I'll question their integrity, their eye site, their intelligence, and the where abouts of their mother on the night they were conceived.

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
I'll question their integrity, their eye site, their intelligence, and the where abouts of their mother on the night they were conceived.

Too funny! :chuckle:

lilyoder6
10-07-2008, 03:33 PM
well i mean it seems that if u do criticize a ref u will be fined.. jerry jones got hit a week or so ago

SteelMember
10-07-2008, 03:52 PM

What he said.:thumbsup:

He was obviously venting, but there seems to be a double standard as it pertains to "our" quarterback. They watch him (Ben) get beat up all the time with no flags thrown, so it's no wonder they are questioning these close, subjective calls. That Flag was total BS imo.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
They are no longer protecting the QB, they are overly protecting the QB.

If you are going to make RTP calls, then make the same calls accross the board. Don't call it for one QB and then not call the same hit on the other team's QB.

Has there been a single RTP call on any of the late hits on Ben this year? I don't think there have been, and that pisses me off because he's getting beat up out there getting hit late at times...and they turn a blind eye.

Maybe the NFL should let the players openly criticize crap officiating. Fining refs won't do anything because they are not full time. Most of them are lawyers full time. Maybe if the NFL hired refs full time and had them spend the offseason in training the officiating would improve.

iloveben7
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM

I agree. There's at least 2 a game that aren't legal

Texasteel
10-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Maybe the NFL should let the players openly criticize crap officiating. Fining refs won't do anything because they are not full time. Most of them are lawyers full time. Maybe if the NFL hired refs full time and had them spend the offseason in training the officiating would improve.

That explains a bunch right there.

Steelman16
10-07-2008, 04:34 PM
That explains a bunch right there.

From the Old Tennessee Mountain Man:

Keep skunks

And lawyers

At a distance.

:chuckle:

steelreserve
10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Yep. Can't wait to see the rules changes this offseason is going to bring due to that. :rolleyes: :coffee:

one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, four Mississippi ...

Dino 6 Rings
10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
fined for talking, I get

but I'm still waiting on the fine for the Late Hit on Ben in the Cleveland Game from that Piece of SHIIIT Rogers....

yeah...that's what I thought

US VS THE WORLD GUYS! WOOHOO!

PickleStanko
10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I was in attendance at the game and it's bull in the first place that there was even a flag thrown. In any case James is the shizzle. Nothing will stop his fire!!! Take notes, (GOOD PLAY) Mr. Harrison pay the fine and smile just like Hines all day!

revefsreleets
10-07-2008, 07:40 PM
If he was fined for the hit, I'd have a MAJOR problem. But he wasn't.

Hit was clean. Rules suck.

steel striker
10-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I said it once and, I'll say it again the NFL protects every QB not named Ben Roethlisberger! I know this is going back a few years but, Ben took a helmet to helmet hit vs the falcons which the ref saw clearly with no call.

jjpro11
10-07-2008, 08:22 PM
he got fined $20k for anyone wondering.

SteelCityMan786
10-07-2008, 09:04 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_591959.html?source=rss&feed=9

He has a right to be pissed off! That was such a crap call, and to be fined? Bah!

If anyone should be fined it's the ref who called it.

lilyoder6
10-07-2008, 09:41 PM
i see harrison getting fined for talking bout the refs,.. that should of been a given there... and 20 k for harrison doesn't seem that bad

kmsteelerwr15
10-08-2008, 12:16 AM
I said it once and, I'll say it again the NFL protects every QB not named Ben Roethlisberger! I know this is going back a few years but, Ben took a helmet to helmet hit vs the falcons which the ref saw clearly with no call.

ya, the last RTP call in Ben's favor that i can remember was from his ROOKIE season. you know the game agianst he ratbirds when we clinched home field advantage and Suggs takes a cheap shot at Ben.

now if you can correct me, please let me know b/c that is seriously the last one i can think of.
:noidea:

Preacher
10-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I think the fine was appropriate....

But the commisioner does have to take a look at all these plays...

Then again, part fo the reason Ben doesn't get these calls is because he is KNOWN to hold on to the ball and make things happen. The refs also don't want to blow the whistle to fast... and have a hard time penalizing people for playing him....

then again, I wonder what would happen if it was Peyton :hunch:

fansince'76
10-08-2008, 12:27 AM
$20 K? And Wilfork cheap shots QBs' knees and intentionally pokes people in the eye and gets tagged for $12.5 K and $15 K for those offenses, respectively. Yup, seems fair. :coffee:

The moral of the story? Calling a ref on the carpet for screwing up is worse than taking cheap shots at opposing players on the field. Goodell's a joke.

Preacher
10-08-2008, 12:30 AM
$20 K? And Wilfork cheap shots QBs' knees and intentionally pokes people in the eye and gets tagged for $12.5 K for those offenses. Yup, seems fair. :coffee:

Dang.... I didn't read the actually amount...

the concept of the fine was fair. but that amount is a bit ridiculous.

Steel_Bus_24
10-08-2008, 12:41 AM
man what a crock

screw you goodell you Bob Kraft loving, dictator

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-08-2008, 12:55 AM
$20 K? And Wilfork cheap shots QBs' knees and intentionally pokes people in the eye and gets tagged for $12.5 K and $15 K for those offenses, respectively. Yup, seems fair. :coffee:

The moral of the story? Calling a ref on the carpet for screwing up is worse than taking cheap shots at opposing players on the field. Goodell's a joke.

I didn't know it was a 20k fine. That's pretty ridiculous given the validity of Harrison's remarks.

I do wish the NFL would take a more NCAA-style approach to repeat infractions. I'm it's not allowed under current league rules, but I'd love to see the NFL start hitting teams with cap penalties and/or other "team" penalties instead of players and coaches getting fined. The NFL needs to start hitting the team if they want to make an impact.

Imagine how quickly the Bengals would shape up their act if each CJ outburst cost them cap space, or if the Patriots weren't allowed home field advantage no matter their record for the playoffs.

Phenomenal TJ
10-08-2008, 02:34 AM
He shouldn't have said it - as true as it was. He needs to keep his head in the game and not on what the media wants him to say. He's an asset to our team, and we need him making plays on gameday.

At the same time, the officiating in that game was horrible both ways.

steelergirl07
10-08-2008, 04:04 AM
My opinion, he had every right to say how he was feeling. But he also deserves the fine, because that's the rules. That being said, the amount of the fine is total crap.

jdsdaguy
10-08-2008, 04:42 AM
yeah....thats crap. that wasn't a cheap shot, that was playing to the whistle!

steelpride12
10-08-2008, 10:08 AM
He has heart for the game and every right to be pissed after the game, it was a terrible call and the whole nation knows it.

klick81
10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I have no problem with anyone speaking the truth, even if it's "against the rules". He's just going to have to cough up the dough.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-08-2008, 11:37 AM
He shouldn't have said it - as true as it was. He needs to keep his head in the game and not on what the media wants him to say.

I disagree. He was right to say it and the money doesnt matter.

They have a term for somebody that doesnt speak or act as they feel they should for monetary gain (fear of monetary loss) ..........its called a "Sellout". Big props to Harrison for being a leader who says what he means and backs it up!!! :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
$20,000 sure seems excessive. i guess theyre making an example of james.

i forget but think joey didnt even get fined for saying the same after the polamalu interception debaucle vs colts in 05.

Texasteel
10-08-2008, 03:08 PM
I disagree. He was right to say it and the money doesnt matter.

They have a term for somebody that doesnt speak or act as they feel they should for monetary gain (fear of monetary loss) ..........its called a "Sellout". Big props to Harrison for being a leader who says what he means and backs it up!!! :thumbsup:

You may not agree with me, but as much as I love Troy I think Harrison is becoming to heart of this defense.

Dino 6 Rings
10-08-2008, 04:55 PM
You aren't allowed to bad mouth the Refs, thats the bottom line.

However, I hope he gets 5 more sacks against Palmer and hits him right in his ugly teeth over and over again...within the rules of coarse. Nothing like pissing off a Silverback.

Havik
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
It's bullshit that players and coaches are getting fined for their criticism of the awful officiating that we have seen this year. I'm getting sick of it, Goodell needs to be fired. It has become the No Fun League since he took over.

Texasteel
10-08-2008, 06:38 PM
It's bullshit that players and coaches are getting fined for their criticism of the awful officiating that we have seen this year. I'm getting sick of it, Goodell needs to be fired. It has become the No Fun League since he took over.

BINGO !!!!!!! We have a winner! :thumbsup:

SteelersJW
10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
What the hell is up with that? It pisses me off that Mike Pierra and all of those guys act like they never make any bad calls.

Welcome To Smashmouth
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately the players are in a position where they can't voice their opinions.

Kinda funny.....we had players like Garrard Warren and multiple different Ravens players come out publicly in the past saying they're just going to be looking to hurt our guys this way and that, they're given the power to actually do it out on the field, and then we take a player's ability to speak his mind on unjustices he feels strongly about league-wide??? Bullshit

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-08-2008, 10:55 PM
You may not agree with me, but as much as I love Troy I think Harrison is becoming to heart of this defense.

No, I agree completely with you.

You dont have to be loud and talk a lot of smack to be a leader. Harrison reminds me of Greg Lloyd in that he isnt very vocal, but his play speaks for himself and if he wants to get in somebodys face......who is gonna make him stop??

You could drop Harrison into a Klan convention with cueball in a sock and he would mop them up in 2 minutes.

the_king_from_leon
10-09-2008, 04:43 AM
I think its a complete joke, there is no way that he roughed the passer!

stillers4me
10-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Kinda funny.....we had players like Garrard Warren and multiple different Ravens players come out publicly in the past saying they're just going to be looking to hurt our guys this way and that, they're given the power to actually do it out on the field, and then we take a player's ability to speak his mind on unjustices he feels strongly about league-wide??? Bullshit

The Browns did the same thing.....even said that they didn't care about late or illegal hits.......just get Ben away they could. The when they do it, no penalty, no fine. You are absolutely right and so was James.

Edman
10-09-2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08283/918588-66.stm

Ward got hit with a fine too. From the Ravens game.

So let me get this straight...

Harrison is fined for criticizing the ref over a bullshit roughing the passer call, Ward gets fined for a hit on a Ravens defender. But Shaun Rogers can drive our QB into the turf on his shoulder and headbutt him to the ground, Browns and Ravens players can threaten dirty hits against the Steelers in the media, with no call or fine?

Yeah, Hines. I guess you were too rough on the wittle Ravens.

Goodell is a goddamned joke.

SteelSurf
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I try and never complain about the refs, however that call stunk to high heaven. Another terrible call was done on the Bungles against the Cowboys, calling that TD back... horrible. Bungles have every right to complain about that ticky tack call.

OneForTheToe
10-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Go to KDKA and watch "the Steelers Playbook with Hines Ward." Hines addresses the fine. He said he is still not sure what he did, but the NFL said it was for unnecessary roughness. :noidea: He goes on to apologize to the Ravens for being too rough on them. :toofunny: In addition, he said Mr. Rooney (not sure which one) sent a letter to the NFL reminding them that this was still football. Good stuff.:tt:

BTW, Bob P. also mentions that Hines has the most red-zone touchdowns in the NFL since 2002. At which point, Hines makes a little dig at Ben, about not needing 6ft receivers. Then, of course, he gives Ben some luv.

Good little 3 minute interview. :thumbsup:

http://kdka.com/sports

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Jim Rome touched on the Harrison fine. He said that if you go back and watch the hit there is no way anybody in their right mind calls that a penalty. He even joked the QB's should start just wearing flags to tear off.

He did say that Harrison's comment "I dont see how the ref makes that call......unless he has money on the game" was likely the reason for the hefty fine. The NFL is paranoid about gambling worse than the Pacman Jones kind of stuff.

The best rant was " Harrison, its OK to slam a drunken fan to the turf, its OK to slam QB's like David Garrard to the turf, but its not OK to play the Donaghy card." Great Stuff!! :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
10-09-2008, 10:05 PM
i thought that was pretty funny of jim rome./

steeler dude
10-09-2008, 10:38 PM
i think the hit was good but the mouth was bad. Now harrison will have a target on his back

steelwall
10-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Fine a man the equivalent of the price of a decent car for saying 2 remarks about calls that were unquestionably, questionable is crazy.

The man has a right to say what he wants (freedom of speech) or is the NFL a country in itself?

Preacher
10-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Fine a man the equivalent of the price of a decent car for saying 2 remarks about calls that were unquestionably, questionable is crazy.

The man has a right to say what he wants (freedom of speech) or is the NFL a country in itself?

No, much like any other job, you don't have the right to say anything about the company while you are working for that company. .

steeler dude
10-09-2008, 11:29 PM
:tt:im glad he did it though

steeler dude
10-09-2008, 11:58 PM
also Ryan Clark was fined for helmet to helmet contact in the Jags game !?><_|+|()&U thats dumb ! imo should we pass out flags for the next game and play flag football? GUyS THEY ARE KILLING THE STEELERS WITH RULE CHANGES /PENALTY AND FINES ! the Steelers are hard nosed and the NFL cant handle the fact we still play Football the way it was meant to be played !:tt03::helmet: