PDA

View Full Version : Opponents reluctant to challenge Ike Taylor

tony hipchest
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
great article on ike showing he is becomming a great shut down cb. im still amazed how many people in the past failed to see his potential and looked at him as a bum.

of course people dont realize how complex it is to learn lebeaus defense. once you learn that, you can master any in the league.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_591733.html

This season, teams have been trying to avoid Taylor by throwing fewer passes to his side of the field.

In the Baltimore game this past Monday night, receiver Derrick Mason had eight receptions for 137 yards against the Steelers. However, only two of Mason's catches came against Taylor, for a total of 19 yards.

"If it's man, it's man. If it's zone, it's zone," said Taylor, a four-year starter. "It depends on coach LeBeau and what he calls. Coach LeBeau can pretty much call anything. Our coaching staff feels like if they've got to make those throws, they're not going to make them all the time. If they've got to make those throws every time, we'll take our chances."

Through the Steelers' first four games, opposing receivers have caught 15 of 29 passes in Taylor's area for a total of 153 yards. Nine of those incompletions were on third-down plays.

On 14 other occasions, Taylor jammed receivers, forcing them to change their routes.

"(Houston's) Andre Johnson had 10 receptions against the Steelers, but he only had three receptions against Taylor," Thomas said. "(Cleveland's) Braylon Edwards only had two receptions for 25 yards against Taylor. Three times he jammed Edwards at the line of scrimmage. On seven pass plays against Philadelphia, he re-routed receivers a total of four times, and they completed three passes against him for 33 yards."

GBMelBlount
10-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Through the Steelers' first four games, opposing receivers have caught 15 of 29 passes in Taylor's area for a total of 153 yards.

I agree Tony. Taylor is incredibly gifted with a ton of upside. In 2005 he actually allowed a similar completion percentage in his "area" as mentioned above, but for the entire season! Hopefully 2006 was simply an anomaly and he finally gets the props he deserves as well as a trip to the pro bowl....

The Duke
10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
But KC Joyner disagrees :rolleyes:

fansince'76
10-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Yep, his "metrics" aren't good enough. :rolleyes:

MACH1
10-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I just wish he could catch a lil better.

stlrtruck
10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
I just wish he could catch a lil better.

Well, then he'd be a WR....come one Mach...everyone knows the rule. Players that can catch the ball play offense, those that can't play defense :toofunny: :rofl:

SCSTILLER
10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I agree Tony. Taylor is incredibly gifted with a ton of upside. In 2005 he actually allowed a similar completion percentage in his "area" as mentioned above, but for the entire season! Hopefully 2006 was simply an anomaly and he finally gets the props he deserves as well as a trip to the pro bowl....

He didn't play all that bad in '06, I think he was more of a scapegoat for Cowher that year. Good article, didn't realize it that I haven't heard Taylors name too much this year by the announcers, and that is a good thing. Hopefully a couple of INT's are in the cards if teams do decide to test him.

fansince'76
10-07-2008, 02:05 PM
He didn't play all that bad in '06, I think he was more of a scapegoat for Cowher that year.

Couldn't agree more with the "scapegoat" part. The entire team (with about the only exception being Willie, who also called the rest of them out on it) pretty much sleepwalked through the '06 season. A year to forget.

7/39/43
10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Taylor is a bum and will always be to me
overated caught sleeping alot
trade him

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-07-2008, 04:23 PM
trade him

Well that pretty much says that...

I really think we have something special with Taylor + McFadden + Polamalu. Polamalu constantly puts hmself in position for a takeover, McFadden breaks on the ball and has seemingly soft hands, and Taylor just prevents a receiver from getting open.

Steelman16
10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I've been a Taylor fan since he came to Pittsburgh. For all the grief he's gotten for having bad hands, he's certainly developed into a shutdown corner. I think some folks forgot that, and just complained about his INT totals.

He's a great guy. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Well that pretty much says that...

I really think we have something special with Taylor + McFadden + Polamalu. Polamalu constantly puts hmself in position for a takeover, McFadden breaks on the ball and has seemingly soft hands, and Taylor just prevents a receiver from getting open.

Don't forget Ryan Clark. He's very solid at FS, and that makes Polamalu more lethal because Clark can sit back there and read then react while Polamalu can just react.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Yeah, what are McFadden's and Townsends stats??? They are supposed to be better according to Joyner.

ben7
10-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Ike is the reason Ocho Sinco wants a trade.

revefsreleets
10-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Mother EFFER!

I've taken a HUGE rash of shit year after year for saying just this...

Ike is Da Man! Chad should have "checked" Ike when Chad was still decent...now it's irrelevant. We should let Gay cover CJ just to further diminish his slide into nothingness...

fansince'76
10-07-2008, 08:01 PM
trade him

Not going to happen. :coffee:

19ward86
10-07-2008, 08:02 PM
people thought he was a bum cuz he played running back for most of the time spent at LA Laffeyette.

SteelersMongol
10-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Who doesn't like Ike, anyways. He's a talented young player who proved us what he's worth 4 time & time again.

Ike is the reason Ocho Sinco wants a trade.

:toofunny:

lilyoder6
10-07-2008, 09:44 PM
other than the 06 season being a bad one for ike.. he has not been a bum, he has always played good for us

The Duke
10-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Ike's not a "flashy" player, that's why he doesn't get the recognition he deserves and why some people don't like him

I bet this people want a player like cromartie in san diego. gets 10 interceptions one year and he's suddenly amazing. yet anyone can pass against that defense. OVERATED

ike's consistent, and yeah besides some of his 2006 season I'm glad he's a steeler

even if some "experts" disagree

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
"Swaggin' "

Preacher
10-08-2008, 12:13 AM
A few years ago, I was really down on Ike.

However, he has really impressed me. I am happy to have him on our team.

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-08-2008, 12:58 AM

My only consistent complaint has been his stone hands. It was really bad last year when we lost Clark and especially Polamalu. We could lock down receivers, but last year's Townsend-Smith-Carter-Taylor secondary didn't leave much hope for INTs.

Galax Steeler
10-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Our corners really look good this year Ike has been playing good ball hope they can continue throughout the year.

FSUBoo
10-08-2008, 05:45 AM
I think that with the emergence of Taylor, and the continued improvement of BMac, we can have one of the best CB tandems in the league if we can keep BMac.

steelpride12
10-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Ike has truly proved to the league to be a shut down corner.
Two seasons ago he was fighting to even be on the team after the Dever Broncos game at Hines Field.
After a hard summer workout he has become the best in the league and the hard work is paying off for him big time.
Just wish he didn't have rock hands.

The_WARDen
10-08-2008, 11:12 AM

So you quit on Ike?

:rofl:

Welcome To Smashmouth
10-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Yea I still remember back before he was a starter and he kept showing these little jolts of pottential when given the opportunity. Remember that play where he layed out his body so that he went airborne into a perfectly horizontal ball-swatting menace??

He's far from that raw talent of the yester-years, but I wouldn't say he has yet to etch himself down on the "Shutdown corner" Stone of Truth

cowboykilla
10-08-2008, 11:06 PM
trade him :coffee:

hizmi
10-09-2008, 05:09 PM
This is from Joyner's chat today on ESPN.com:

Kevin (San Diego): Read an article with a quote from the NFL Scouting Service that said Ike Taylor was 15 for 29, for 153 yards allowed. That would make a 5.3 YPA....I remember you had him at 8-9 a couple weeks ago, did he improve or do your systems differ in who gets credited with what?

KC Joyner: I've got him as 21 att, 6 comp and 210 yards. That illustrates one of the reasons why YPA is always going to be a somewhat subjective stat. What one person considers to be in coverage is not what another considers to be in coverage. Over the past six seasons I've come up with methodologies to discern this but other game trackers use other methods.

Kevin (San Diego): Follow-up then, do you find it harder to track players that play alot of zone coverages (like the Steelers do), as it must be tough to really determine when a CB "hands off" a WR to a S or another CB in a different zone....

KC Joyner: It's more different than harder. It's just a matter of knowing zone responsibilities and assigning the play to the person who should have coverage.

Alex (Pittsburgh): Steeler CB DeShea Townsend has been starting over Bryant McFadden so far this season. Though I'm not a Steeler fan, many of my Steeler lovers hate on Townsend and call for McFadden be the starter. Who do your metrics say should be in the starting in Da'Burgh?

KC Joyner: McFadden has a 5.4 YPA but when Townsend is healthy he puts up those kinds of numbers. I don't think Townsend is at 100% health this season and that is a big part of why he has a 10.2 YPA. Or, to put it succinctly, McFadden should be the starter based on 2008 performance.

SCSTILLER
10-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Our corners really look good this year Ike has been playing good ball hope they can continue throughout the year.

Agreed! I am very happy with our CB play, heck, our whole secondary play. If they keep this up we will finally have one of the top secondaries in the league!

SteelMember
10-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Swagga' :thmbup: