PDA

View Full Version : Ben is bringing back the gloves

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2005, 02:35 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05336/615993.stm

Steelers Notebook: Roethlisberger putting gloves on
Friday, December 02, 2005

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger will bring back the gloves for Sunday's home game against the Cincinnati Bengals, but it is what's under the gloves that will be a bigger issue.

Roethlisberger said he will wear some kind of "contraption" under his glove to protect his right thumb, which was injured in Monday night's 23-7 loss in Indianapolis.

"It's all right ... a little sore," Roethlisberger said. "I'll try to see what we can do to get by with it."

Then he added, "It is pretty painful. It's not something that's fun to have."

Roethlisberger, who is listed as probable on the team's injury report, has practiced each of the past two days wearing gloves on both hands -- the same gloves that caused such a big debate last season when he did not play well wearing them in a playoff game against the New York Jets.

A week later, Roethlisberger discarded the gloves against New England because snow was forecast for the AFC championship game and he said the gloves get slippery when wet.

Yesterday, Roethlisberger said he will wear them against the Bengals because they allow him to grip the ball better in cold weather.

"Everything is fine," coach Bill Cowher said. "He's ready to go ... ready to play Sunday."

Roethlisberger would not specify how he was injured against the Colts.

But he did not use it as an excuse for his performance. He completed 17 of 26 passes for 133 yards and threw two interceptions.

It was Roethlisberger's first game back after missing three starts because of knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus.

"You want to come back and bounce back as fast as you can, get back out there and get back to that [comfort] level that you had before the injury," Roethlisberger said. "But it took a little time. It probably wasn't as fast as I wanted it to come back. And, obviously, it's tough going against that good of a defense."

Ambridge
12-02-2005, 05:30 AM
I know Ben's wearing the glove to help protect his thumb but I sure hope he has a respectable game so we don't have to relive the Glovegate all over again.

clevestinks
12-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo!

steeler47
12-02-2005, 08:27 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/littlehousefashions_1872_183846848http://us.st1.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/Img/trans_1x1.gifhttp://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/littlehousefashions_1872_183804640

Isotoner Spandex gloves are designed for superior fit and flexibility. Isotoner gloves are made with Lycra spandex for a contoured fit that looks and feels good. Genuine leather palm strips improve grip and extend the wear of your Isotoner gloves. Isotoner spandex gloves signature stretch fabric is specially treated to repel snow and rain, so your hands stay warm and dry. Isotoner gloves make a great gift. Isotoner spandex gloves one size fits most design takes the guesswork out of gift giving. Leather chevrons on back. Leather tab at wrist. Unlined. Imported.

Here ya go #7..just ask Marino about them !!:grin:

Tim
12-02-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm starting to wonder if there's some shennanigans going on. Lots of talk about an injury that's "a little sore" and "everything is fine".

If everything is fine, why are there news reports about it?

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Either Ben's thumb is really hurt (if it is a repeat of the alleged thumb problem last year in the playoffs we can add to our worries whether it is something chronic) or the Steelers have learned from Belichek to publicize every injury and play mind games with the opponent as to who is ready to go.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Watched a short clip last nite on espn from Ben. First its "very painful" and "not fun to play with" then its "alittle sore" .

This definately hasnt been Ben's year for health and well being..all we can do is hope he heals up and we can continue to patch him together for as long as the season goes.

fergusonat
12-02-2005, 04:33 PM
My question is...whatever happened to the big and tough Big Ben? Seems like every game he plays he is in some way hurt and it's really getting annoying. If he plays like he did against the Jets last year, we're in trouble.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-02-2005, 04:41 PM
My question is...whatever happened to the big and tough Big Ben? Seems like every game he plays he is in some way hurt and it's really getting annoying. If he plays like he did against the Jets last year, we're in trouble.
Ben gets hit on almost every pass play......its the offensive lines fault........

Grey
12-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Ben gets hit on almost every pass play......its the offensive lines fault........

yup.

Here we go.
Grey

clevestinks
12-02-2005, 06:48 PM
All I know is we nned Ben healthy

Ben healthy = WINS
Ben not = Maddox

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Keep the gloves Ben. Because if we get to the playoffs we can't afford you getting injured.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2005, 09:09 PM

Ben healthy = WINS
Ben not = Maddox

Scarey isnt it !! :hope:

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2005, 09:18 PM

Ben healthy = WINS
Ben not = Maddox

Damnit please don't let Number 2 happen. Big Ben Stay healthy.

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2005, 09:46 PM

Yeah, keep up this run of something always being injured and Big Ben will be out and Gentle Ben will be in.

BB2W
12-07-2005, 04:49 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's right thumb injury is severe enough he may need surgery at some point, but he's planning to keep playing as the Pittsburgh Steelers try to salvage their season.

Roethlisberger won't confirm the thumb is broken, but he said there is significant pain. He said it also affects his throwing at times and forces him to try to guide the ball more with his wrist than with his hand.

Roethlisberger cites a throw to wide receiver Quincy Morgan in a 38-31 loss Sunday to Cincinnati in which he tried to throw the ball as hard as he could, but the pass traveled only 40 yards. He says the pain comes and goes, and is more of a problem on some throws than other.

Despite his third major injury of the season -- he previously missed games with injuries to both knees -- Roethlisberger is probable for Sunday's game against the Bears. While the Steelers have lost three games in a row to damage their playoff chances, the Bears have won eight in a row behind the NFL's top-ranked defense and have a 9-3 record.

link-----> http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2251245

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2005, 04:56 PM
I just hope he does well. And is Healthy enough to play. Just Please Don't tell me he needs surgery.