PDA

View Full Version : El and Cedric.. "Dont blame us"

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2005, 02:46 AM
http://steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34954#post34954

You can read the article but this really jumped out at me...

"You're talking about 15 to 20 times a game that we throw the ball," Wilson said.

The Steelers actually attempt a league-low 24.1 passes per game.

"Most of those passes are on third down -- when the defense is ready for the pass," Wilson said. "That's asking us to be exceptional."

In last Monday's 26-7 loss to the Indianapolis Colts, the Steelers ran the ball on first down on six of their first seven possessions. They managed just nine yards. Wilson would like to see more first-down passes.

"I feel like we've made the plays that have been called to us, which is very rare - very rare," Wilson said.

clevestinks
12-02-2005, 05:28 AM
He does have a valid point!

jtdapit
12-02-2005, 08:10 AM
i agree entirely

steeler47
12-02-2005, 08:30 AM
I still think it's thier size....but the points he makes are ok......just hate that failure justication crap!!

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2005, 09:12 AM
I was planning to link to this article until BlitzburghRockCity beat me to it.

Not surprised to hear Wilson griping again - this guy is a cancer in terms of team unity - would be interested if he had the same rep with the 49ers, in which case I wonder why the Steelers signed him.

This quote is particularly interesting -

"I signed here because I thought, with Ben, sooner or later, they would start throwing the ball," Wilson said. "Hopefully, he's going to want to make the Pro Bowl one day and he's going to want to become one of the best quarterbacks in the league. So, there's going to be a demand to throw the ball around here."

Always good to have someone encourage the QB to complain about how the offense operates.

The greater significance of this article for me is that it appears the Steelers are getting into finger pointing as the season unravels. This could turn into a repeat of the 1998 and 1999 collapses if the Steelers lose on Sunday.

Steel - X
12-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I never liked Cedric Wilson he was a one hit wonder it SF and he really didnt do much for them. He is a smaller slower Burress. Bring in Quincy!! Cedric has go to go.

Suitanim
12-02-2005, 10:51 AM
To be fair to Wilson, he is smaller, but he's much, much faster than Burress will ever be.

This is not that big of a deal...nothing like Meshawn's "Throw Me the Damn Ball" nonsense...

StillerPaul
12-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I think Ben and the WR's all have a legitimate gripe. We do need to be more balanced. I don't see it as whining, i see it as them wanting to help make us a much better O.

Grey
12-02-2005, 11:30 AM
"I signed here because I thought, with Ben, sooner or later, they would start throwing the ball," Wilson said. "Hopefully, he's going to want to make the Pro Bowl one day and he's going to want to become one of the best quarterbacks in the league. So, there's going to be a demand to throw the ball around here."

Wilson needs to keep his mouth shut. He obviously doesn't understand what the Steelers as an organization are all about. First of all, don't complain to the media about not getting the ball --- take it to the coach. Second, the Steelers are never going to start slinging the ball around so that Ben can get into the Pro Bowl, and I don't believe that Ben will ever expect that. Pass more? Sure. But hopefully not to Cedrik Wilson. He doesn't fight for the ball much and most of the INT's this year have been thrown his way. Move on up Quincy Morgan.

Here we go.
Grey

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I think Ben and the WR's all have a legitimate gripe. We do need to be more balanced. I don't see it as whining, i see it as them wanting to help make us a much better O.

I agree they may have a gripe, but seeing this type of stuff go to the press indicates dissension and a coaching staff losing control of its team.

When Burress popped off about this he got ripped and the Steelers did not try to keep him-unlike Burress, Wilson has not even produced. Unless Wilson received some assurances prior to signing that the offense would open up this year, he should zip it with the press and limit his complints to the players and coaches.

StillerPaul
12-02-2005, 11:52 AM
I agree they may have a gripe, but seeing this type of stuff go to the press indicates dissension and a coaching staff losing control of its team.

When Burress popped off about this he got ripped and the Steelers did not try to keep him-unlike Burress, Wilson has not even produced. Unless Wilson received some assurances prior to signing that the offense would open up this year, he should zip it with the press and limit his complints to the players and coaches.

I agree completely, Wilson needs to produce. But this isn't the first time this kind of stuff has happened, either. The players are as frustrated as us fans are and rightfully so, IMO. Does it spell implosion? Not sure yet, we'll know for sure by sunday i guess. These guys just wanna make plays and they feel they are not getting a fair chance due to the conservative system. If i was in their shoes, i'm not sure i wouldn't look for ways to improve it as well. Maybe these players do approach Cowher at various times and are told that the system won't change. I'm not justifying it but maybe they turn to the media in hopes of sending a message to the fans that things are out of their control.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2005, 04:22 PM
If cedric has any aspirations of being anything in the league, above average..he better start looking across the locker room to the guys that have been here and know what its all about in a team aspect.

You do what you can for the team when you are called upon. You make the play and keep your damn mouth shut till its your turn again.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-02-2005, 05:07 PM
If the steelers wanted to open up the passing game we could......Staley is great comming out of the back field......Heath is an animal over the middle and Heinz Ward is Heinz Ward. now that 3 options and we only used on receiver so far........There is no excuse why we can not pass other than cowher is too stubborn or stupid to do so........... not to mention our offensive line

BigSteelThrill
12-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Wilson needs to keep his mouth shut. He obviously doesn't understand what the Steelers as an organization are all about. First of all, don't complain to the media about not getting the ball --- take it to the coach. Second, the Steelers are never going to start slinging the ball around so that Ben can get into the Pro Bowl, and I don't believe that Ben will ever expect that. Pass more? Sure. But hopefully not to Cedrik Wilson. He doesn't fight for the ball much and most of the INT's this year have been thrown his way. Move on up Quincy Morgan.

Here we go.
Grey

Maybe he really did think things would change some.
Maybe he believed we would throw the ball more... maybe he belived we would win a super bowl.

Might not be such a bad thing.

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2005, 12:18 AM
The Guys have a point.

StillerPaul
12-03-2005, 12:43 AM
If the steelers wanted to open up the passing game we could......Staley is great comming out of the back field......Heath is an animal over the middle and Heinz Ward is Heinz Ward. now that 3 options and we only used on receiver so far........There is no excuse why we can not pass other than cowher is too stubborn or stupid to do so........... not to mention our offensive line

Agreed! We've had some moments this year where we looked like a scoring machine IMO. As many have mentioned before, it all starts and ends with protection as well. Cowher and Whiz may be hesitant to pass due to protection problems at times for all we know. But Whiz should be able to put our gameplan together to try and cover our weaknesses too. Maybe run more of the 3 step drops etc. Heath has been absent from our attack as well lately. With this many players absent from our O, we pretty much have only one conclusion to draw... conservatism?

bigbensgirl7
12-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I can't say I disagree with his statements (maybe he shouldn't have said it and kept it to himself) But esp. against the Colts, we were too predictible. What that game really reminded me of is the New England Playoff game last year when we ran on almost every 1st and 2nd down in the first half. Even though we are a great rushing team (and I wouldn't trade that physical football for the world) we have to open it up a little bit more for the offense to be successful!

24seven
12-03-2005, 08:23 PM
I can't believe any of you can say "shut your mouth" or "I can't believe he's whining or saying such things".. YOUR not in his shoes so you don't have a damn thing in common.. Sure you can sit at your computer and type this and that and spat your opinion but you go out there and work hard at practices and games and get the ball 1 time maybe 2 times a game and see how you feel. Block your ass off constantly and watch Ward get all the balls.. Cedric has caught nearly all the passes he's been given and if they were underthrown or intercepted you can't blame him for not being "aggressive" enough to get them back.. please..... LIke it's his fault balls are underthrown.. Hell he came back dang near 15 yards to snag that well underthrown ball against Baltimore on Monday night for a 40 yard gain.. The passes he DOES get are pretty poorly thrown or to the sidelines where there's nowhere to go anyways. I feel sorry for him personally cause I understand where he's coming from.. The Steelers are playing piss poor football and no one can deny it.. Frustrations are bound to happen and I myself am pissed off at there performance.. I truly doubt he's going out looking for interviews to bash the Steelers playing style.. He's being asked about the situation and he's being honest. According to the topic there's another name in the header besides Cedric yet no ones said anything bad about Randle El.. So if your gonna start blaming Cedric for all the Steelers problems maybe you should actually watch the game Sunday and come up with a different diagnosis.. Both of them have done all they can do for what's being asked of them..