PDA

View Full Version : Good SI article: the changing face of the sports fan

Mosca
10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Too long to paste here, so I'll put the link at the end of my comments. One thing I like about Gregg Easterbrook (he didn't write the article, but it reminds me of his work) is the way he calls local governments on the carpet for financing stadiums so that the owners can install luxury boxes that those taxed will never see. Are we coming to Bread & Circuses?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/the_bonus/10/03/sports.economy/index.html?eref=T1

Leftoverhard
10-08-2008, 12:40 PM
One word. Sucky.

Mosca
10-08-2008, 12:47 PM
To me, it's another example of the slowly accelerating gap between the middle class and the wealthy.

I know what's going to fill it in; minor league sports, small colleges, and high school sports. We will NEVER stop being a sports-crazed society, we love it too much. But I've been to only one major level sports event in years, excepting the Eagles game where the tickets were given to me. But I go to the local minor league WBS Penguins, I go to the SWB Yankees (puke), I can walk over to the King's College football games, I can drive to Hershey for the WPIAL finals. I can see all HS sports for nothing, or next to nothing.