PDA

View Full Version : Who here actually contacts their congressmen/women

steelwall
10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
I do. I have contacted congressman Haynes on many issues through his web-site, and allways get a responce. Not from him of course, but from aids in his office. Was even called once by an aid to discuss an issue I brought up in an email about Haynes support of Taiwan. Even got into a debate with the guy.

I'm just saying, your voice can and should be heard. congress should be held more accountable for their actions. Seems all to often they get a free pass, because most are not in the "lime light". We are paying truck loads of our tax dollars to these people, and they need to know that we give a crap about how they are representing us, and just what the heck they are doing.

Agree?

X-Terminator
10-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I do. I have contacted congressman Haynes on many issues through his web-site, and allways get a responce. Not from him of course, but from aids in his office. Was even called once by an aid to discuss an issue I brought up in an email about Haynes support of Taiwan. Even got into a debate with the guy.

I'm just saying, your voice can and should be heard. congress should be held more accountable for their actions. Seems all to often they get a free pass, because most are not in the "lime light". We are paying truck loads of our tax dollars to these people, and they need to know that we give a crap about how they are representing us, and just what the heck they are doing.

Agree?

I admit that I don't, mainly because I don't feel it does much good. Politicians seem to only care about the people when it's an election cycle, and could give less than a shit any other time. At the same time, silence is tacit approval of the job they're doing, IMO. The power of the people got an egregious pay raise for PA lawmakers and judges overturned a couple of years ago, but that's at the local (state) level. Not sure how it would work at the national level.

Preacher
10-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I admit that I don't, mainly because I don't feel it does much good. Politicians seem to only care about the people when it's an election cycle, and could give less than a shit any other time. At the same time, silence is tacit approval of the job they're doing, IMO. The power of the people got an egregious pay raise for PA lawmakers and judges overturned a couple of years ago, but that's at the local (state) level. Not sure how it would work at the national level.

I am a conservative in the Bay area of California.

My opinion does not count.

steelwall
10-08-2008, 07:55 PM

I understand your position which is exactly why I wanted to make this thread, because in all honesty most people probably feel the exact same way you do.

However if more and more of us start contacting them (which is our right) then perhaps they will think twice the next time they support some bill filled with 5 trillion tons of pork.

steelwall
10-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I am a conservative in the Bay area of California.

My opinion does not count.

Poor guy.... but at least you can piss your congressman off by ranting your conservative opinions...I mean look at the bright side:laughing:

MACH1
10-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Ive contacted our local congressmen before and all I got back was a cute little postcard. Saying thank you for your concerns and yada yada yada. The basic brush off.

Atlanta Dan
10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
My congressperson from 1992-2002 and 2004-2006 was Cynthia McKinney - she was as interested in hearing from me as I was in hearing from her, so that era pretty much killed my interest in contacting Congress - if you want to get someone's ear, go to fundraiser or send a contribution with your communication

steelwall
10-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Ive contacted our local congressmen before and all I got back was a cute little postcard. Saying thank you for your concerns and yada yada yada. The basic brush off.

Most congressmen/women have a website, I find this is the best way to get an immediate responce. Plus a phone call allways gets their attention. If they feel they can brush you off then they do not deserve to represent you.

steelwall
10-08-2008, 08:08 PM
My congressperson from 1992-2002 and 2004-2006 was Cynthia McKinney - she was as interested in hearing from me as I was in hearing from her, so that era pretty much killed my interest in contacting Congress - if you want to get someone's ear, go to fundraiser or send a contribution with your communication

Understand but not allways true as I stated above.

Polamalu Princess
10-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Yes - tenfold. I am not sure if it makes a mark, but I do. My family, at times, laugh at me, but I do it anyway. A small speck may make a mark - you never know - so keep doing it!

Mosca
10-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I do. I am currently involved in the fight for SDACT (a local issue), and I contacted my congressman last week on the Orphaned Works Bill.

MasterOfPuppets
10-08-2008, 09:14 PM
they have a restraining order against me ......:noidea:

Godfather
10-08-2008, 09:22 PM
I've done it in the past but it's been a long time.

Preacher
10-08-2008, 10:28 PM

:rofl:

Its amazing that in disagreeing so much in politics... we hold these jewels of truth in common!!!

Hawk Believer
10-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I know and meet with my state legislators. Its pretty satisfying to be able to get a response from them on certain issues.

I have never tried to contact my federal Rep. Jim McDermott. He is way to the left and has pretty much marginlalized himself in Congress.

I did meet with one of my Senators when I went as a tourist to DC. Most Senators and Congressmen will have lunches pretty regularly for thier constituents who want to visit them in DC. There are normally a lot of other consitituents there but you get a little bit of face time and can pass a fact sheet or two off to them about some specific issues. I would reccomend doing that if you ever get to go. They can also get you tickets to certain venues like the White House and Supreme Court if you write their staff ahead of time.

stlrtruck
10-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I've done it occassionally but with the way the government has been run as of late, I should do a better job of it.

I did have one of the congressman show up at a Men's Bible Study meeting a few weeks ago and he explained why he voted no on the "Bail Out".

But steelwall, you bring a good point, we should do it more often and make our voices heard.

Godfather
10-09-2008, 09:04 AM
When I lived in New Orleans the local state representatives and state senators would visit the Kiwanis Clubs at least once a year and let us know what was going on.

I met John Breaux when he was my Senator and helped with Mary Landrieu's first campaign. Never met former Ole MIss cheerleaders Trent Lott and Thad Cochran, though, and Roger Wicker's only been around for a few months.

Vis
10-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I live in the same district as Bob Jones University. I don't think mine would be responsive to my positions.

steelwall
10-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I live in the same district as Bob Jones University. I don't think mine would be responsive to my positions.

I disagree with my congressman on many issues, and like I said even had a debate over the phone with one of his aids, and I crushed him.

With all thats going on it's not that hard to get a petition going, or start up a group of like minded people. I'm not saying like an AA meeting or that kind of stuff, just simple letters that go out explaining to the group what your congressperson is doing. Petitions and groups get their attention.