PDA

View Full Version : Larry Johnson Unhappy in K.C.

SalukiSteelers
12-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Heard on The Jungle today that Larry Johnson was unhappy in Kansas City. He said he loved his team but he didn't enjoy his life outside the lines.

I don't know how long he has left on his deal but if he burns that bridge I wonder if he'd be interested in heading back to the Keystone state? I've never heard anything about him having problems with the people of State College but I also don't live anywhere near there.

I understand that his barking to the media is not very Steelers-like, but if there's a way to get him to Pittsburgh isn't it worth a shot? Is the risk/reward ratio good enough? He seems to have a huge upside and his running style would fit right in.

One thing that worries me, though, is his tendency to rough up women. I can't see the Steelers organization looking to kindly on that but if he could quit being a scumbag I don't see how they could pass on the opportunity to get a young guy with some power.

What do you think?

Koopa
12-02-2005, 02:46 PM
well, i'd love to see him in a steelers jersey, we'd be freakin awesome with carrying the load........and to me i could care less what players do off the field just as long as they are produceing on it, not that beating up on women is good or anything i just could care less what any dude does on his spare time like smoke weed, drive drunk, kill cats for fun....winning is all i care about

StillerPaul
12-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Guys, i like having Fast Willie as our premier back. I know it sounds strange cause he's so small and it's not the "Steeler way". But i think once we fix the passing game and get things going, he'll be the perfect homerun hitter we have never seen before. I just hope Cowher stays the course with who we have at QB and RB and get us a top notch WR along with some O-line help this next off-season, we'll be a high scoring machine on O IMO.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Bring on Larry Johnson to the black n gold next year. He's young, strong, big, and hungry. Him and Willie along w/ Duce would make a formidable backfield after Jerome retires.

Koopa
12-02-2005, 03:30 PM
naw duce will probably be on the sideline in street clothes being a cheerleader cuase he has a hang nail

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-02-2005, 04:03 PM
I saw Johnson play a few games his last year at penn state.
I would love to see him in black and gold...and he could be around a few years.
He has had minimal playing time behind Holmes.....and he should be fresh.
That would be a huge off season signing.......He would suceed in our system

Eztarget
12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Duce isn't going to be resigned, dude is OLD and a shell of his former self. Bettis will retire, and I'm not sold on W.Parker just yet. Granted the minute he gets stuffed twice in a row Cowher pulls him and he doesn't get another carry until we're down by 7!

RB's need carries even when they're getting stuffed to get into a rhythm. Cowher gives up way too early. Why not challenge your O-LINE and tell them to open some f'n holes! I'd love to see Larry Johnson here over any of the above people!

Grey
12-02-2005, 04:39 PM
RB's need carries even when they're getting stuffed to get into a rhythm. Cowher gives up way too early. Why not challenge your O-LINE and tell them to open some f'n holes! I'd love to see Larry Johnson here over any of the above people!

Agreed. In a way, I think we have too much talent at RB. It is too much of a temptation if Parker gets stuffed, to try out the Bus, then go to Staley. Cowher knows that he could get a good game out of any of them.

Here we go.

Grey

Prosdo
12-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I really like Willie, but I think he needs a power back to compliment him. I think Larry and Willie would be an awesome 1-2 punch. With Bettis retiring and Staley being so injury-proned I think it's worth looking into.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Dont rule out Staley not coming back yet. The steelers arent gonna give up too soon on a guy that has as much talent as he does even if he is hurt alot. It wouldnt surprise me at all to see Duce back, ESPECIALLY if Jerome retires next year. Do we really want the fate of our running game in the hands of first year starter in Willie alone ? Whether Larry Johnson gets here or not, if Jerome retires, the Steelers will think long and hard about whether to bring him back or not. He is a veteran, a team player, a good locker room guy, and some one who can mentor young backs.

tony hipchest
12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
i would rather have e. james or s. alexander but thats just not gonna happen because of the cost. johnson will cost alot when he becomes a free agant in 1-2 yrs. we already passed on him for t. polamalu. sure we could try to get him but what if the cost was not being able to sign polamalu? they were drafted 3 yrs ago and both will demand huge deals.

clevestinks
12-02-2005, 05:43 PM
L. Johnson on the field I like!
L. Johnson off the field I don`t like!

I really don`t think Rooney will like!

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2005, 05:43 PM
You either draft Pro Bowl running backs or get them cheap when they are presumed to be malcontents with performance problems (e.g. - Rickey Williams goes from Saints to Miami, Corey Dillon goes to New England from Cincy and Jerome Bettis goes to the Steelers from St. Louis). Johnson is a malcontent but he also is having a great year.

Steelers have too many cap/salary headaches coming up (wait until they have to negotiate with Ben prior to the last year of his contract!) to take on Johnson. Unless the collective bargaining agreement miraculously gets renegotiated in the next several months, free agent signings will be particularly tricky this off season because bonuses apparently can be prorated over only the remaining years of the CBA.

Stlrs4Life
12-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Would love to see him in a Steelers jersey also, but don't believe it will ever happen. I was hoping we would have drafted him in the first place.

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2005, 10:41 PM
When The Bus Retires with his ring. It's The LJ, Parker, and Staley Show in the Running Game.

Koopa
12-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Would love to see him in a Steelers jersey also, but don't believe it will ever happen. I was hoping we would have drafted him in the first place.

well if we did we wouldn't have that player can't seem to remember his name........ oh yeah troy polamalu :grin:

steeler47
12-03-2005, 06:08 AM
Larry is running in all cylinder's this year but remember....he's had reconstructive knee surgery so his time is def. limited.I think that happened when he was in AZ.
What is the duration of a back in the NFL after such a surgery? It's prob. not long.
Willis Magahee(sp.) of Buff.I think he had the same surgury.

Stlrs4Life
12-03-2005, 06:18 AM
well if we did we wouldn't have that player can't seem to remember his name........ oh yeah troy polamalu :grin:

Yeah, I realize that. I didn't know much about Troy back then.

jbattenhouse
12-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Larry Johnson is still under contract for next year with KC, and with the current status of Priest Holmes being out, there is no way KC lets him go. Dream all you want but this is not going to happen. I believe that Staley's contract runs through 2007 and he may be too expensive to get rid of even if the Steelers wanted him to. A lot of decisions ride on Bettis and whether he wants to retire at the end of the season, regardless of a SB ring.

Right now, with the current state of the Oline, NOBODY would be effective running the ball. While I am not sold on Willie Parker, the Oline needs to be fixed before anything else happens. And while the Steelers are doing that, it would not hurt to mix up the playcalling as well. Offensively, the team has been OFFENSIVE the last two games and wasn't too great before that after the Cincy game.

Besides, with the current UFAs that are coming up on this team at the end of the year, there won't be much money to look at outside FAs.

Rotorhead
12-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Well since this is the first year WP has started, he lost a bunch of weight with more work. I think next year after he puts a little more weight on he will be much better. I think Bettis will retire (although I would like to see him stay with the organization) and it will be a mid rounder to develop, WP and Staley for our backfield.