PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fans are unquestionably best in the NFL

SteelersMongol
10-08-2008, 09:27 PM
:tt02: U guys, who R the Steelers fans, R awesome. :hatsoff:

Tuck's Takes: Steelers fans are unquestionably best in the NFL

The news out of Jacksonville Monday morning that approximately 25 percent of the fans for Sunday night's Steelers-Jags contest were waving yellow Terrible Towels came as no surprise to me. The Steelers have the most dominant fan base in the National Football League and their ability to consistently travel, en masse, and infest other team's stadiums gives the Steelers a competitive advantage that no other franchise can claim.

For the record, I grew up in eastern Pennsylvania, was an Eagles fan during my youth and subsequently played for five NFL squads that were not located in Pittsburgh, so I have no allegiance whatsoever to the Steelers or their fans. I just call it like I see it.

Seemingly minutes within signing with a new team, a player will be told by someone within the organization that, unequivocally, they have the best fans in the world. And though there are thousands of die-hard fans in Green Bay, Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, Cleveland, New England, and every other NFL city, the simple truth is very evident to every player in the NFL: Steelers fans are the best in the business.

My thoughts on NFL fans were confirmed in a recent straw poll of a couple active players who said the Steelers fans far and away do the best job of taking away a home team's advantage. None of the players wanted to state their feelings publicly and disenchant their own fans, and for good reason, but the fact remains there is nothing quite as powerful in the NFL as Steeler Nation.

I realized this for the first time in 2004, while playing for a resurgent Bills team that was one win away from a playoff berth. Running out of the home tunnel and seeing the smattering of Terrible Towels and black and yellow in the stands was disheartening. The Steelers had already clinched homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, so this final regular season game was meaningless to them, yet their fans had made the trip in droves.

Though playing at home doesn't assure a team a victory, there are typically four significant advantages to playing in the friendly confines. There is no travel involved. The field and facility are familiar. The players can certainly feed off the energy of the home crowd. The noise can make it difficult for the opposing team's offense to call audibles or utilize the snap count to their advantage. Ask any offensive tackle how much fun it is blocking elite rushers on a silent cadence. They flat-out detest it.

The significant presence of Steelers fans in opposing stadiums, whether they are Steel City transplants or folks who traveled in for the game, effectively eliminates the last two advantages. It is difficult to feed off the energy of the home crowd when you look up in the stands and see that a significant portion of the crowd is actually cheering for the other team. Plus, the noise is not nearly as deafening when less than 80 percent of the fans in the stands are screaming in unison.

All of this adds up to the Steelers having a significant competitive advantage based upon their fans' ability to partially, if not completely, eliminate some of the basic reasons teams are so happy to play at home in the first place.

I know exactly what everyone is going to write in their e-mails to me. First, people are going to comment on the Jags having arguably the worst fans in the NFL, and I will not dispute that in the slightest. People in Jacksonville would probably be more excited to watch an SEC clash between Kentucky and Vanderbilt. But it is not just Jacksonville. Seemingly, no stadium is truly immune to the Steelers culture.

Secondly, I am well aware that the Packers, Raiders, Cowboys and Redskins, just to name a few, have great fans who pop up in away stadiums every time their team is on the road. Trust me, it does not compare to Steelers fans. I have played for some of those teams and it is not even close. The Steelers have the best fans in the NFL.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/10/08/tucks.takes/index.html
I must've "jumped on" the right bandwagon. :chuckle:

stillers4me
10-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Well, now........ aren't we just awesome! :tt02:

hizmi
10-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Would the best fans in the league boo their own team before half-time of a week 4 game?

TheWarDen86
10-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I would have thought that was obvious. I guess they print that stuff on occasion to remind the New Englanders. :chuckle:

:tt02: :drink:

MasterOfPuppets
10-08-2008, 09:34 PM
damn skippy you did.....:thumbsup:

stillers4me
10-08-2008, 09:41 PM
So what.....they booed their team when they played like crap. And then they went out and filled one quarter of a stadium 700 miles away the very next weekend. The best fans in the league are there thru thick and thin.

hizmi
10-08-2008, 09:45 PM
So what.....they booed their team when they played like crap. And then they went out and filled one quarter of a stadium 700 miles away the very next weekend. The best fans in the league are there thru thick and thin.

Well wouldn't playing like crap for ONE HALF constitute "through thick and thin?"
We definitely travel better than anyone, and I think our home game atmosphere is among the best in the league, but our support is just as inconsistent as every other team. I don't think you Boo unless there is a clear lack of effort.

TheWarDen86
10-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Well wouldn't playing like crap for ONE HALF constitute "through thick and thin?"
We definitely travel better than anyone, and I think our home game atmosphere is among the best in the league, but our support is just as inconsistent as every other team. I don't think you Boo unless there is a clear lack of effort.

Lack of effort or lack of performance that we're used to seeing/know they're capable of.
If they deserve it, I don't mind a good booing. They seemed not to like it much and responded. It's the fans sending a message.

fansince'76
10-08-2008, 09:58 PM

For once we're in agreement about something.

HometownGal
10-08-2008, 10:00 PM
This thread is taking a nasty turn. Let's keep the discussion in the spirit of which it was intended, please?

Yes - for the most part, Steelers fans are not only the best in the NFL, but in any major league sport! :tt03::drink:

hizmi
10-08-2008, 10:04 PM
For once we're in agreement about something.

:drink:

X-Terminator
10-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Oh man, I'm not even going to touch this one...

Edman
10-09-2008, 12:30 AM
X may not touch it, but I will.

So I guess when the team is not playing up to their talent level and how they're capable of playing, we should just sit on our hands or better yet clap for them. After all, it's the effort that counts right?

There's a difference between being critical of the team and panicking like chicken little doom and gloomers. Steeler fans are pretty spoiled and impatient. Thanks to all this success. We must go 16-0 and win 45-7 dominations every week. Anything less is constitution for firing. Even then, we'll still nitpick the team's performance to death.

3rd highest winning record since 2000 and we talk of Kevin Colbert as if he's Matt Millen. 14-7 record and a division title compiled by Tomlin and people want him fired. Our OC turns our franchise QB into a superstar and he's an idiot(I'm guilty of this).

Thank God the Rooneys run the team and we don't. If Steeler fans ran the team, we'd be on the Raiders level of impatient incompetency.

Sharkissle29
10-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Would the best fans in the league boo their own team before half-time of a week 4 game?

name a fanbase in ANY sport that doesnt boo when their team looks and is playing like shit.......ill give u a cookie if u can name one, but i already know u cant.

TheWarDen86
10-09-2008, 12:41 AM
name a fanbase in ANY sport that doesnt boo when their team looks and is playing like shit.......ill give u a cookie if u can name one, but i already know u cant.

There are none. So don't wait up all night Bro. :wink02:

fansince'76
10-09-2008, 12:46 AM
There's a difference between being critical of the team and panicking like chicken little doom and gloomers.

Yep, and this board is FULL of the latter after each and every loss. This forum is a reasonable microcosm of the fanbase at large. That in itself should give folks pause before they start patting themselves on the back for being part of "the best fanbase in the business." Sorry, I find it a tad hypocritical, that's all.

klick81
10-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Whatever; there sure are a good amount of people who know just how to turn a positive light-hearted thread into an argument;

WOOT WOOT!!! WE'RE THE BEST!!!

memphissteelergirl
10-09-2008, 08:31 AM
This thread is taking a nasty turn. Let's keep the discussion in the spirit of which it was intended, please?

I could not agree more....this debate on booing your own team has been exhausted in another thread, so let's just LET IT GO, PLEASE???

This was intended to be an acknowledgement of what we already know....Steelers fans are the most devoted and loyal fanbase in all of pro sports. Period! :tt02:

TailgateMel
10-09-2008, 08:52 AM
:I realized this for the first time in 2004, while playing for a resurgent Bills team that was one win away from a playoff berth. Running out of the home tunnel and seeing the smattering of Terrible Towels and black and yellow in the stands was disheartening. The Steelers had already clinched homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, so this final regular season game was meaningless to them, yet their fans had made the trip in droves

I was one of the many that made the trip... great game.. the Buffalo fans were not very happy at the end of the game.

stlrtruck
10-09-2008, 09:32 AM

The Raiders - they've grown accustom to it!!!!

PM me and I'll give you my address to mail me the cookie :flap: :toofunny:

steelpride12
10-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Us Stiller fans are #1 Were loyal and When we booed against the 2 weeks ago that was the first time i have ever heard Steeler fans boo!
GO US! :tt03::tt02:

CanadianSteel
10-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I was one of the many that made the trip... great game.. the Buffalo fans were not very happy at the end of the game.

I was also at Buffalo in 2004 and considering that we had clinched and were resting players, and Bills were playing for the play-offs I was simpley amazed and the number of Steeler fans at tne game and I have been to several away games.

This was a nice article specially since it was written by a former player (who never played for the Black and gold) yes t acknowledges their fans.

I also like that the writter had claims from current players that Steeler fans rule like no others, but couldn't name the players as to not upset their respective fans.....

vasteeler
10-09-2008, 10:25 AM

It worked didnt it?

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2008, 10:51 AM
So, since I am the biggest fan of the best QB of the best Franchise in the history of the planet, which makes me the best fan of the greatest franchise on the planet...this article basically states that Dino 5 Rings is the Best Fan on the Planet.

Man..I love this article!

GO STEELERS!

:tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2008, 10:54 AM
2004 Steelers vs Cowboys, I was at the game. 10,000 Steelers fans on hand:

"For a minute there I thought we were in Pittsburgh," said Cowboys linebacker Dexter Coakley. "It felt like it was a home game for them."

SteelMember
10-09-2008, 11:05 AM
I like it, but maybe "the best" may be too subjective. I do, however, know that there is a sh!tload of Steeler fans out there and whether it's because of traveling or just re-location, we've spread across this country like a black 'n gold blanket and as "The Brain" (from Pinky and the Brain) would say...

"We're going to take over the world!" - :muhaha:

ALL HAIL STEELER NATION. :tt03:

moedap
10-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I like it, but maybe "the best" may be too subjective. I do, however, know that there is a sh!tload of Steeler fans out there and whether it's because of traveling or just re-location, we've spread across this country like a black 'n gold blanket and as "The Brain" (from Pinky and the Brain) would say...

"We're going to take over the world!" - :muhaha:

ALL HAIL STEELER NATION. :tt03:

I dont think re-location and/or traveling accounts for the sh*tload of fans alone. I think the bandwagon fans of the 70's(those who root for the Steelers even though they werent born or didnt live in the Pitt metro. Like me!) never abandoned their allegiance to the Steelers.

SteelMember
10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I dont think re-location and/or traveling accounts for the sh*tload of fans alone. I think the bandwagon fans of the 70's(those who root for the Steelers even though they werent born or didnt live in the Pitt metro. Like me!) never abandoned their allegiance to the Steelers.

No worries my friend. There is always a seat on the wagon for people who have seen the light. :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I can name a couple Bengals and Browns fans that were talking mad smack in August on this board that are more than welcome to get themselves some terrible towels and jump on the Wagon.

Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go.

How many Steelers fans will be at the Bengals game in Cincy next week I wonder.

GutterflowerSteel
10-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Excellent article - thanks for posting - I wouldn't have seen it otherwise :thumbsup:

Steelers fans are everywhere! I was at Costco the day after we beat the Jags, proudly wearing a Steelers mesh jersey and watch (my postgame victory outfit lol). While shopping, I was approached by two different Steelers fans who wanted to commiserate with me over such a great win (both guys were also wearing Steelers clothing). One dude and I stood there for 10 minutes, breaking down the game right there in the meat section :helmet: When one Steelers fan sees another, there's always that unspoken acknowledgment of, "YEAAAAH ... STEELERS RULE!! *fist bump*

Steelers Nation rules SUPREME!
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5510/fans092908uw5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

stillers4me
10-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Excellent article - thanks for posting - I wouldn't have seen it otherwise :thumbsup:

Steelers fans are everywhere! I was at Costco the day after we beat the Jags, proudly wearing a Steelers mesh jersey and watch (my postgame victory outfit lol). While shopping, I was approached by two different Steelers fans who wanted to commiserate with me over such a great win (both guys were also wearing Steelers clothing). One dude and I stood there for 10 minutes, breaking down the game right there in the meat section :helmet: When one Steelers fan sees another, there's always that unspoken acknowledgment of, "YEAAAAH ... STEELERS RULE!! *fist bump*

Steelers Nation rules SUPREME!
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5510/fans092908uw5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

That happens all the time to us in Cinci!

lilyoder6
10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
it's a beatiful sight to see steelers fan unite.. :crying02:

XxKnightxX
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Lack of effort or lack of performance that we're used to seeing/know they're capable of.
If they deserve it, I don't mind a good booing. They seemed not to like it much and responded. It's the fans sending a message.

I clearly remember that monday night game against the Ravens when the Steelers started to get booed at home. Not the best of sights but Ron Jaworski and Tony Kornheiser said it clearly "FOR STEELERS FANS TO BOO YOU LIKE THIS, YOU MUST BE DOING SOMETHING EXTREMELY HORRIBLE AND THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES' I think thats what they said and its true. For us to boo our team we must clearly show a lot of frustration that had been the 3rd straight week with an atrocious offense with ben getting smacked around.

Hines0wnz
10-09-2008, 10:43 PM
This isnt really news is it? :chuckle:

I dont mind the booing when it is well timed. The first half versus Baltimore was a good time because it reminded the team of their not so good play. Losing is one thing, losing ugly is another. I think we, as fans, have an obligation to voice our displeasure when necessary as long as it isnt unwarranted nor from being spoiled. As we all know, even with 5 SB wins, we are far from spoiled and that is another reason we are the best fans for the best team. :tt02:

steelwall
10-09-2008, 10:44 PM
I believe it is honestly true we do have the best fan base. I've been to many cities, states, and countries and can honestly say in every one I've met a fellow Steelers fan.

As to the boo's, back in the Kordell days I think the boo's were directed at him, for a while there I honestly believed I could have went in there and made better plays.

The last boo's we heard IMO were not directed at our players, rather the play calling, I may be wrong, just IMO.

No matter how many boo's that are cast down OUR fans are not bandwagoneers, we may boo from time to time but we stick with our team. And honestly sometimes boo's are warranted, look at what happened when the boo's started coming down on the feild the other week....Ben went into the locker room and chewed some ass, and we came out a different team, boo's, believe it or not can be a motivator to a team who has pride.

T&B fan
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
It worked didnt it?

yes it did !! :thumbsup: every so often you need a kick in the ass

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2008, 09:23 PM
This isnt really news is it? :chuckle:

I dont mind the booing when it is well timed. The first half versus Baltimore was a good time because it reminded the team of their not so good play. Losing is one thing, losing ugly is another. I think we, as fans, have an obligation to voice our displeasure when necessary as long as it isnt unwarranted nor from being spoiled. As we all know, even with 5 SB wins, we are far from spoiled and that is another reason we are the best fans for the best team. :tt02: hell, i used to boo my ex just about everytime she fixed dinner......:popcorn:

Hines0wnz
10-10-2008, 11:05 PM
hell, i used to boo my ex just about everytime she fixed dinner......:popcorn:

Hence the "ex" part? :chuckle: