PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger ... He's got it.

GBMelBlount
10-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Ben Roethlisberger ... He's got it.

His teammates tried to describe their quarterback after Ben Roethlisberger won another AFC player of the week award yesterday, three days after his extravaganza in Jacksonville.

"The kid, he's just a winner," said Hines Ward, who caught the touchdown pass from Roethlisberger with 1:53 left that gave the Steelers a 26-21 victory.

"I don't know what it is about it. He just has a knack. He has that 'It' sort of thing."

The victory sent the Steelers into their open date at 4-1 and pushed Roethlisberger's personal starting record in the regular season to 43-17 (.717), second best only to Tom Brady (.784) among current NFL quarterbacks with at least 40 starts.

Jacksonville was not just another victory on the pile for Roethlisberger; it represented an important milestone. Not only did he lead his team to his 15th winning drive in the final quarter or overtime and second in the past two games, he did it without his top two halfbacks and starting fullback and by throwing 41 times and topping 300 yards for only his fifth time in the regular season. He did it against a defense that expected the pass, he did it with a sore right shoulder that was hurt

again, and he did it in spectacular fashion at the end.

With a lame Jeff Reed not knowing how far or how accurate he might be on a field goal, Roethlisberger scrambled to his left and with two Jaguars hanging on him, completed an 18-yard pass to Ward on third down from his 31 in the closing minutes. That allowed him to find Ward from 8 yards out four plays later to win it.

"Unbelievable," said defensive end Aaron Smith yesterday. "It's incredible. I've kind of given up on being shocked because it seems like every time I see him do something, he does something more miraculous. Unbelievable."

"Amazing," tackle Trai Essex described it. "That's one of the best games I've ever seen from a quarterback. Just the plays he made in the clutch with people hanging on him, like that throw he made to Hines on third-and-8, that's one of the best throws I've ever seen. I don't know how he did that.

"We have a great quarterback and we're going to ride with him."

The kicker to it all? Roethlisberger did not practice last Wednesday or Thursday and was limited Friday.

"For a guy not to practice and go out there and put up over 300 yards passing, I can't describe how a guy can do that," Ward said. "He's done a phenomenal job to this point. We'd like to save him a little bit and keep him fresh. But he's going to show up every Sunday and give us all he's got."

They hope he can show up every Sunday.

Roethlisberger has been sacked 18 times in five games, putting him on a pace for nearly 58 sacks, which would be a record for a Steelers quarterback and more than his awful 47 sacks last season.

"I don't know what type of toll it's taking on him," Ward said.

Roethlisberger's right shoulder took another blow when it was wrenched by Jaguars defenders as he threw the 18-yard completion to Ward. He got up slowly, his right arm dragging, but said he never thought of leaving the field.

"Not unless they were bringing a stretcher, gurney, ambulance out there," Roethlisberger said yesterday. "I was going to stay out there until Mike wouldn't let me stay out there."

He told coordinator Bruce Arians after that hit that "we might have to hand the ball off for a couple of plays. Of course, two plays later he throws the ball."

All in all, though, he said he is in decent physical condition.

"I don't have anything too serious, bumps and bruises and stuff like that. For me, it's getting those bruises worked out and feeling good next week."

His teammates say they're not overly concerned about his health.

"He's taken a lot of beating, but he seems pretty durable," Aaron Smith said.

"I guess that's the nature of this business."

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08283/918562-66.stm

GutterflowerSteel
10-09-2008, 07:21 AM
YAY - I'm glad he won AFC Player of the Week - nobody deserved it more. I wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league! :tt02:

HometownGal
10-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Ben really is amazing and he's like the Eveready Bunny - he just keeps going and going and going . . . .:tt03::applaudit: Thanks for the read Tom! :drink:

stillers4me
10-09-2008, 07:58 AM
What Ben did in Jacksonville was simply amazing.

hWp_TptqhqI

stillers4me
10-09-2008, 08:11 AM
And the funny thing is, aside from Ben being named Offensive Player of the week, nobody is talking about the Steelers on the radio or anywhere else. It's all about the Titans and Giants and the Cowboys.

shhhhhhhhh........It appears we are back in stealth mode again.....! Just the way we like it. :wink02:

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I really have to hand it to Big Ben for standing in there and taking the hits he did. We have GOT to protect him better, though, and he has GOT to get rid of the ball better as well to get some of the pressure off of him. Otherwise, Ben will be GONE from the team in 2 years MAX and will be bound to a wheelchair or walker!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Leftoverhard
10-09-2008, 09:05 AM
lol, shhhhhhhh. I agree, how awesome to have Ben get AFC player of the week and still the team flies under the radar.
NIce article - I don't think many players care as much or appreciate their QB as much as ours do Ben. And of course there's all of us.

Tankus_Maximus
10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
And the funny thing is, aside from Ben being named Offensive Player of the week, nobody is talking about the Steelers on the radio or anywhere else. It's all about the Titans and Giants and the Cowboys.

shhhhhhhhh........It appears we are back in stealth mode again.....! Just the way we like it. :wink02:

Amen, brutha!

Just when the rest of the league is worried about the Cowboys & Giants, the Black & Gold strike up and whack em upside their heads!

Ben is double-tough, the man is Iron Man!

fansince'76
10-09-2008, 09:12 AM
I don't think many players care as much or appreciate their QB as much as ours do Ben.

Nah, he's selfish and the rest of the team hates his guts - that's why he didn't get team MVP last year. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
10-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Ben really is amazing and he's like the Eveready Bunny - he just keeps going and going and going . . . .:tt03::applaudit: Thanks for the read Tom! :drink::yep:

we may have to change his name from big ben (the london clock) to Big Timex cause he takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

this must be the 4th player to win a player of the week award in 5 weeks. ben, troy, james and woody. :drink: way to represent. hopefully tomlin gets the accolades this week too.

i read where david gerrard even called bens game the best he'd ever seen, noting that he never saw that type of play from any qb ever.

i guess im kinda like aaron smith. im so used to it, i rarely step back and appreciate how amazing it really is.

so much for his play dropping off after a big payday. :tt02:

stillers4me
10-09-2008, 09:32 AM
so much for his play dropping off after a big payday.

Ben's playing like he's trying to prove he's worthy of his contract, instead of like some players who think they are the ones owed.

Love his attitude! :thumbsup:

MACH1
10-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Not to shabby for just a game manager. :rolleyes: I hope the big guy can get healthy and stay that way.

stlrtruck
10-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Finally, the rest of the NFL is realizing what Steelers Nation knew years ago.

steelpride12
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Congrats to Ben he def. lead the Steelers to a victory with his hard work and effort. Stealth mode is what i like them to be in. We are just a better overall team when no one notices us till we kick there butts!

vasteeler
10-09-2008, 10:31 AM
is just me or did anybody else get really fired up after reading that report:applaudit::tt02::tt:

Edman
10-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I know he's been banned, but so much for Ben being overrated from beauchamp the troll.

What a difference a week makes.

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2008, 11:00 AM
One game at a time Ben, just go win in Ohio again next week. 5-1 sounds so effing good right now.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Ben Roethlisberger cannot throw the ball more than 25 times a game. If he does, the Steelers cannot win.

Ben's line from the Jags game:

100.6 QBRat, 26/41, 63.4%, 309 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT

Ben just gets it done. People like to go gaga over passing yards. The stats I care about are TD passes, INT's (keep em low), QB Rating, and most importantly WINS.

SunshineMan21
10-09-2008, 07:08 PM
He's gonna make mincemeat of Cincy's secondary . . .

lilyoder6
10-09-2008, 07:35 PM
ben just needs to keep up the work and keep getting better.. i would love ben to throw another 3 td;s or more against cincy

Preacher
10-09-2008, 08:10 PM
I just hope we can keep the guy healthy.

Goodness gracious.

Yes, he is a miracle worker on the field... but even miracle workers need a break SOMETIME.

Steelman16
10-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Ben's a warrior, what can I say?

But of course everyone's talking about Kerry Collins' late game heroics instead. :rolleyes:

Rhee Rhee
10-10-2008, 01:38 AM
i completely agree with ward's statements about how ben can not practice the entire week and go out and throw 300+ yards... just imagine peyton doing that even brady... i say neither of them nor could any QB in the NFL pull of what big ben did on sunday night.

Galax Steeler
10-10-2008, 04:42 AM
I am glad Ben is a steeler he is a true warrior and a game player.

SteelMember
10-10-2008, 08:07 AM
I know he's been banned, but so much for Ben being overrated from beauchamp the troll.

What a difference a week makes.
He hasn't been the only one...

The "MAN" is a player.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-10-2008, 09:38 AM
After the Bunghole game, we have a tough 4-5 week stretch. It is going to be nasty. If he keeps up performnaces like he had against J-Ville. I fon't think there would be any reason why he wouldn't be tabbed as an MVP cnadidate.

lilyoder6
10-10-2008, 09:40 AM
ben is showing us y he got that contract.. be nice to get sweed on the field so those 2 can hook up and then show y we drafted him in the 2nd

Hines0wnz
10-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I was tired and recovering from my half marathon while watching most of that Jax game but by the end I was all kinds of fired up. Ben gets knocked down but he keeps getting up and as long as he does, the Steelers have a chance to win. If that isnt the epitome of an MVP, I dont know what is then. As good as he is with a banged up O-line, I get giddy thinking how good he will be when they are solid again.

Keep it going Ben! :tt02:

stillers4me
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
If we ever see Ben on the SuperBowl playing field again, there's no doubt in my mind he'd win MVP.(or should I say "when".:wink02:)

GutterflowerSteel
10-10-2008, 06:27 PM
If we ever see Ben on the SuperBowl playing field again, there's no doubt in my mind he'd win MVP.(or should I say "when".:wink02:)
WHEN! I think Ben has a couple more winning Super Bowls in him :tt02: It's been exciting to see his development as a leader and playmaker, and I don't think he's peaked yet. I said in another thread and I say it here again: I wouldn't trade him for ANY other qb in the league. He's more than got it goin' on :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
10-10-2008, 09:46 PM
ben and the steelers need to push to be the first team to 6...

Black@Gold Forever32
10-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Was there really any need for this article?...lol You're telling Steelers fans that Ben has "it"....lol I knew Ben had "it" when he was in college...The game that sticks out to me the most is when his Miami of Ohio team opened their season at Iowa in 2003...

The Hawkeyes DL outmatched the Redhawks OL and Iowa manhandled the Redhawks all game to a 21-3 win and Ben threw 4 INTs due to the immense pressure he faced from Iowa's D that day....

But that whole game Ben picked himself up after every hit and never looked shaken....Kept firing the pigskin down field....After watching that game.... I knew he could succeed in the NFL...I just like the way he responded in that game and knew he would never lose his confidence....To me how players handle adversity is important....To see how a player responds from a physical/mental beating like that is a true sign on what kind of player Ben is....Ben finished the 2003 season with 37 TDs and 10 INTs....Yes he didn't face anymore Iowa's playing in the Mac Conference but still that loss didn't rattle him one bit....

stillers4me
10-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Everyone out there knows Ben has "it'.

There's just some that still won't admit "it".

steel striker
10-11-2008, 08:02 AM
I have always said there is something special about Ben and, it seems like he proves every year. Like mentioned above I would not want any other qb period. It cracks me up that the media does not even know what to say about our guys right now. All of them said Ben can't throw it over 20 times and still win. I guess they are all changing there tunes now! I know it is still early in the season and, very soon are guys will be tested and, still think if we can make through seaon stay healthy we will be playoff tested and ready for a sb run.

stillers4me
10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
I have always said there is something special about Ben and, it seems like he proves every year. Like mentioned above I would not want any other qb period. It cracks me up that the media does not even know what to say about our guys right now. All of them said Ben can't throw it over 20 times and still win. I guess they are all changing there tunes now! I know it is still early in the season and, very soon are guys will be tested and, still think if we can make through seaon stay healthy we will be playoff tested and ready for a sb run.

Consistancy is the key.

We have to do what we did last week , even better, again and again.

If we do that, than that Philly game will have been a blessing in disguise. The cat came out of the bag that day, and forced change. That and a few injuries that showed us what our backups are capable of.......being starters. Ben was always there, waiting to make the plays.