PDA

View Full Version : Could Woodley become better than Merriman?

GridironWarrior
10-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I think so. I think he' s already a better all round OLB who seems to be getting in pass coverage. I knew this kid be'd good but that this soon in the season. He has a ton of potential.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Merriman....who's that?

Michael Keller
10-10-2008, 09:44 AM
What he can become is a GREAT linebacker on a CONSISTENTLY GREAT defensive team . This is highly probable.

Is he a Hall of Fame linebacker ? Certainly has the physical skills . He is well coached. Most of all He appears to be extremely motivated with a hard driving motor and a pedigree (college) back ground.

steelpride12
10-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Wood truly has not shown too much other than one good interception to show he is a good pass protector.
He is improved indeed on the pass rush, i see him and Merriman as pretty even at this point, but if Wood somehow gets better every season sure why not.

The Duke
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
honestly, I just hope he becomes one of the best steelers linebackers in history

screw merriman! his career is tainted for the steroids imo

but yeah, he can be better. as long as he is consistent in what he is doing

SunshineMan21
10-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I think it's possible he's a better pass rusher at this point. He has the potential to reach the heights of guys like Merriman, but I would wait to pass judgment--he just hasn't started long enough to say.

Makaveli
10-10-2008, 04:00 PM
If he (Wood) continues to develop at his current rate he most certainly will be in my honest opinion.

Dino 6 Rings
10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Easy now...he needs to just progress week to week and make it through a few seasons of excellent play before we start putting him on pictures that say "steel curtain" beneath them...well actually, we can do that now...but you get my point. He's a really good LB, and I am contemplating getting his Jersey...but I'll probably wait a season or two more to be sure this guy is in it for the long haul.

steelreserve
10-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Sure, if he takes the same amount of steroids.

Nah, I kid, I kid. He could do it anyway; the sky's the limit for this guy.

steelwall
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm copy writting the phrase "Lammaring the Woodley" Instead oy Laying the Wood....

Oh geeeez that was corny...

steelpride12
10-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm copy writting the phrase "Lammaring the Woodley" Instead oy Laying the Wood....

Oh geeeez that was corny...

Your tellin me :chuckle:

Hapa
10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
He's really good, just I think he's too frickin huge. I honestly think he might do better to lose 10-15 pounds and it wouldn't hurt his pass rushing one bit.

revefsreleets
10-10-2008, 06:14 PM
He's a playmaker...if he gets the nuances of the 3-4 down and can actually be asked to do all the things a real 3-4 LB SHOULD be able to do, sure, why not?

He'll be able to make tackles and sacks and tackles for losses and INT's...it's a unique position to be in, if you have the real skill set required.

I think he does and he has since his Michigan days...

Preacher
10-10-2008, 06:28 PM
He's really good, just I think he's too frickin huge. I honestly think he might do better to lose 10-15 pounds and it wouldn't hurt his pass rushing one bit.

I don't know...

It would probably give him more speed, but would it take away from his momentum when he bull-rushes?

Remember, the 3-4 OLB is essentially a DE standing up with some Pass d. duties.

I am not sure if losing that weight will help or hurt him.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Since he hasn't failed a 'roids test, I'd say he's already better than Merriman.

lilyoder6
10-10-2008, 09:42 PM
i think that the weight he has now is making him as explosive right now.. rb's and te's can't rly handle a 265 pound person coming head on.. i mean look at roth in miami.. he's like 270ish and playing good

billybob
10-10-2008, 10:07 PM
If we continue to utilize the 34 defense,i would say yes.He is young ,and strong, and has his better games in front of him.

WWIIOwheelz
10-10-2008, 11:08 PM
The combination of Woodley and Harrison is a positively fearsome obstacle for any pass-oriented offense, and I've been talking about it since training camp on a few other non-football boards I've gone to for years. Their success so far this season has gotten the attention of some of the real football fans there & made me look like I know what I'm talking about, which is always nice. :)

All things considered, our linebacking core this year might well rank up there with some of the greats of black & gold. After suffering through the relatively sackless season last year, this is a welcome change of pace for me.

Leftoverhard
10-10-2008, 11:26 PM
He looks good - I def hope he won't roid out but as far as his weight goes, I think he's fine. Fun player to watch when he gets going.

Tankus_Maximus
10-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I think the question should be: With or Without 'Roids?

But the answer is still the same: he wouldn't need 'em to be more lights out, than Lights Out.

Steelman16
10-11-2008, 01:36 AM
I think Lights Out, Burned Out. Merriman is a very good linebacker, but I have a feeling he's already peaked and is on the downward spiral of his career. (especially if he gets busted for 'roids)

Woodley, on the other hand, the sky is the limit for him. He's got the "it", not to mention the beastly physical skills it takes to play LB for the Steelers.

And of course, best of all, he plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt02: He's on a team that is very LB-friendly, which could catapult him into the HoF.

KeiselPower99
10-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Yes he can but sadly he wont hardly get the exposure the Roid case does.

SteelersTilIDie
10-11-2008, 04:10 PM
at this stage, merriman is a better all around player, and a much better pass rusher, probably the best in the league, but woodley could eventually surpass him in years to come with experience and practice

Rhee Rhee
10-12-2008, 01:51 AM
i think in due time he will be up there with merrimen and even ware.

what makes me smile even more is we have two of the top 5 pass rushing OLBers on our team... :)

Galax Steeler
10-13-2008, 03:49 AM

what makes me smile even more is we have two of the top 5 pass rushing OLBers on our team... :)

Yea Harrison and Woodley are two very talented players and the more they play they better they will get.

Hines0wnz
10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
He could never be Merriman.................unless he hits the juice. :wink02:

#1LambertFan
10-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Well he got a little coaching form Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd during offseason. Harrison for prez and Woodley for vice! Screw Obama and McCain both!

#1LambertFan
10-13-2008, 05:59 PM

2 of the top 4 leaders in sacks. Harrison 6.5 and Woodley 5.5

#1LambertFan
10-13-2008, 06:01 PM
at this stage, merriman is a better all around player, and a much better pass rusher, probably the best in the league, but woodley could eventually surpass him in years to come with experience and practice

Yes he is better at sitting the bench due to IR!!!

ben7
10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Woodley is definately one of the best at pass coverage.

HometownGal
10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Woodley certainly has the physical ability, intensity and the mental agility to become one of the NFL's best all around LB's. Rather than comparing him to a peer at his position, I'd like to think of him being in a class of his own down the road, which another season or two of playing time and experience will give him. :thumbsup:

Texasteel
10-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Woodley is definately one of the best at pass coverage.

If I remember right one of the knocks on Woodkey was he could cover the pass. I think thats one reason he dropped to us in the 2nd. So much for that idea.

chucoblack&gold
10-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Well he got a little coaching form Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd during offseason. Harrison for prez and Woodley for vice! Screw Obama and McCain both!

they goy my vote!!:thumbsup:

STEELAMANIA
10-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Woodley is already better than Merriman.

DACEB
10-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Woodley is already better than Merriman.

Took the words right out of my mouth. By no means is Woodley stellar in coverage, but Merriman shows absolutely nothing in coverage, he's a one trick pony. Merriman is no match for Woodleys football IQ either. Woodley has improved his run defense from last years limited snaps and has definetly proven to be more than adequate in coverage. Pressure on the QB seems to be each guys strength.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I hate Merriman. Yes his career is tainted due to the roids issue. I would take Woodley over Merriman any day of the week...looking through B/G glasses.