PDA

View Full Version : LJ as Steeler?

Makaveli
10-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I know this is most assuredly a longshot given our (Steelers) "frugal" nature. As well as given what Mike Tomlin feels defines a quality player. (Vastly overated and or injury prone guys with "upside")
But the thought of us making a play for Larry Johnson is one that i find most intruiging. I feel he could not only return the the physicality to our ground game, but give us the "Bussy in his prime" big play threat. (Brutal long runs)

I think that he and Willie sharing the backfield would take a great deal of pressure off of our inconsistent passing game. And keep the guys on the defensive side of the ball at an optimum performance level because of the "rest".

Yes it's argued that he (LJ) is a "problem child". But was not the same said about Bussy prior to us having the vision and guts to aquire him from the Rams ?

fansince'76
10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
LJ isn't injury prone? And which players do we cut (yes, that's playerS plural, because it's going to take more than one) to fit his massive salary under the cap? What do we give up to get him? (I have a feeling the Chiefs will want plenty because he is their franchise player)

hizmi
10-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd take him in a flash, but fansince is right...the cost is just too high.

SteelMember
10-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I think they have already made the play/pay for the RB of the future...

Unfortunately he is on the IR list.

Get Well Mendy!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2008, 01:17 PM
But was not the same said about Bussy prior to us having the vision and guts to aquire him from the Rams ?

Granted its been 12 years...but I think the whole Bettis being a "problem" is revisionist history..and rather up for debate.

If I remember correctly...Rich Brooks decided that Bettis did not fit his offensive style.

Bettis, who had made two pro-bowls, wanted a new deal...but Brooks didnt want to pay him any more than the original rookie contract...(no different than most successfull third year players)

Brooks publicly said he wanted more speed at the position and drafted Lawrence Phillips :rofl::rofl:......and traded the Bus to the Steelers.

STEELtownHAVOX
10-10-2008, 01:32 PM
don't need him.

LVSteelersfan
10-10-2008, 01:41 PM
LJ is done. Don't need overpaid injury prone players who eat up the cap space and bring in the head case.

Edman
10-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Signing LJ will be the dumbest move in Steelers history. At least Bettis was relatively young when he came to Pittsburgh. LJ has baggage, tons of mileage, and no longer has the burst he had. Oh yeah, and he's expensive. Besides, what makes you think he'll come to Pittsburgh with a reduced salary and a reduced role?

Say no to Larry Johnson.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Granted its been 12 years...but I think the whole Bettis being a "problem" is revisionist history..and rather up for debate.

If I remember correctly...Rich Brooks decided that Bettis did not fit his offensive style.

Bettis, who had made two pro-bowls, wanted a new deal...but Brooks didnt want to pay him any more than the original rookie contract...(no different than most successfull third year players)

Brooks publicly said he wanted more speed at the position and drafted Lawrence Phillips :rofl::rofl:......and traded the Bus to the Steelers.

Exactly. The Rams said Bettis was a FB and would not be a feature back in their offense. Not exactly a "problem".

Johnson will be 29 years old next month. Dont want to start paying too much for a RB that is almost 30. The last time I remember that happening was the Seahawks backing up the Brinks truck for Shaun Alexander. :banging:

steelreserve
10-10-2008, 02:11 PM
If we could get him for cheap, and only for a year or two, and he played like he did before his injuries, he would be a huge help. Unfortunately, I just don't see any of that happening.

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2008, 02:33 PM
geesh ......our 1ST ROUND pick ,is what 30 or so carries into his carrear, and already people are lookin for greener pastures........:coffee:

Makaveli
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
And which players do we cut (yes, that's playerS plural, because it's going to take more than one) to fit his massive salary under the cap? What do we give up to get him? (I have a feeling the Chiefs will want plenty because he is their franchise player)

Indeed. I was thinking Hampton and or Foote/ first round pick.. (As dissapointing as it is for me to say)

And cut any or all of the following players to free up cap space, Townsend, Washington, Carter and Moore (Though admittedly i'am unfamiliar with cap "ramifications")

Blitzburgh_Fever
10-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Indeed. I was thinking Hampton and or Foote/ first round pick.. (As dissapointing as it is for me to say)

And cut any or all of the following players to free up cap space, Townsend, Washington, Carter and Moore (Though admittedly i'am unfamiliar with cap "ramifications")

No to Townsend or Washington. Washington has stepped up and honestly he feels more like a #2 than a #3 (and Holmes is more like a 1.5)

xfl2001fan
10-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Hampton will continue to do more for your defense than LJ would for your offense. Getting rid of him for an old back is just silly. Foote/1st rounder is beyond stupid.

As stated earlier, Washington is playing well for you guys and Townsend isn't terrible.

Admittedly, I am not sure who you are talking about when you cut Carter.

Why cut Moore when you could at least trade him to avoid getting rid of too much for a (quickly) aging back?

Don't get me wrong, the Browns fan in me would love to see this happen. But the football fan in me says that nothing good would come out of trying to bring in/trade for Larry Johnson for the Steelers...which means the odds of it happening are about the same as me making the Steelers team as a defensive back.

SteelMember
10-10-2008, 02:56 PM

Seven players for ONE? What? Who are we looking to sign, Dorsett from the cowgirls?

fansince'76
10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
....the football fan in me says that nothing good would come out of trying to bring in/trade for Larry Johnson for the Steelers...which means the odds of it happening are about the same as me making the Steelers team as a defensive back.

Under current ownership, yes. However, scenarios such as this are what scare the hell out of me when it comes to the possibility of a "diehard fan" taking over controlling interest in this team. Grossly overpaying for big-name past-their-prime players is a sure-fire way to wind up 3-13 on a regular basis.

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Under current ownership, yes. However, scenarios such as this are what scare the hell out of me when it comes to the possibility of a "diehard fan" taking over controlling interest in this team. Grossly overpaying for big-name past-their-prime players is a sure-fire way to wind up 3-13 on a regular basis.

you meen like the browns ??? :huh: ........any body gonna point out to the new guy that some of his proposed trade bait will be FA's next year.....

ShutDown24
10-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Mewelde Moore would produce more as a starter over 16 games than Larry Johnson would on this team.

1. LJ would miss at least a few games every season.

2. The type of runner that Johnson is requires a better line that we employ. Where as Willie, Mewelde Moore and even Mendenhall to an extent can make guys miss to make a play - Johnson ain't doing that. He needs a power offensive line.

Why would we want to eat the massive salary that Johnson's overrated reputation would command, when we have more capable guys who can pound the ball already on the roster?

SunshineMan21
10-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Giving up Casey Hampton and another quality player to bring in Larry Johnson would be a terrible move--it's a small upgrade (LJ has clearly declined) that would take a terrible toll both on our salary cap and defense.

You may not like Townsend, Washington, Foote, and/or Hampton, but they are all quality players . . . even in the roles they are in each of them contributes.

Makaveli
10-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Ah yes,...Lawrence Philips. The tailback counterpart of Ryan Leaf .:chuckle:

Good call, i remember this being the case as well.(regarding Brooks' philosophy if you will)
But i also remember more than a few media "talking heads" and "league sources" citing Bussy as "difficult" to say the least.

Makaveli
10-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Seven players for ONE? What? Who are we looking to sign, Dorsett from the cowgirls?

I meant one player and or a Draft pick. The others i mentioned were in terms of being released to free up cap space.

Dino 6 Rings
10-10-2008, 05:04 PM
SJ not LJ

Give me the big bruising Rams Running back anytime, worked out great last time we did it.

cowboykilla
10-10-2008, 05:38 PM
You must have read my mind bruh. LJ would be a perfect fit. Who cares how old he is as long as he get's the job done.

steelreserve
10-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Ah yes,...Lawrence Philips. The tailback counterpart of Ryan Leaf .:chuckle:

Hey, at least Leaf stayed out of the slammer. Isn't Phillips going to prison for 10 years now, I think?

LOL, prison.

steelwall
10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I say keep the salary cap money and put it toward the line next year. Lets see how Moore does before we hit the RB button.

steelreserve
10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I say keep the salary cap money and put it toward the line next year. Lets see how Moore does before we hit the RB button.

Somehow, I doubt we'll do that. Just you watch, as soon as Parker comes back, Moore will head straight to the bench and never return, even if Parker is having an awful game. It's just the way we handle things lately.

Hines0wnz
10-10-2008, 06:07 PM
geesh ......our 1ST ROUND pick ,is what 30 or so carries into his carrear, and already people are lookin for greener pastures........:coffee:

Well, we could always draft Tebow and convert him into a RB. :popcorn:

Hines0wnz
10-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Somehow, I doubt we'll do that. Just you watch, as soon as Parker comes back, Moore will head straight to the bench and never return, even if Parker is having an awful game. It's just the way we handle things lately.

Jeez dude.

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2007/05/10/dead-horse.jpg

steelwall
10-10-2008, 06:10 PM

Sorry should have been more clear. I agree Moore hits the pine when Parker is back, I meant before hit the RB button to sign another one. But, if Moore proves to be effective then I would be for him sharing the load just a bit to keep Willie fresh.

steelpride12
10-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't see us paying all this money for a back who had one or two good season and thats all.
He is a dying breed and is not worth the price tag.

OneForTheToe
10-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Anybody know Larry Johnson's ISP address?:tap:

Just wondering?:coffee:

RoethlisBURGHer
10-10-2008, 07:56 PM
No way.

Willie Parker is a quality back.

I believe Mendenhall will be a quality back.

Moore is a quality back.

We don't have the cap space for LJ for one. The people we'd have to get rid of to make room for him, it wouldn't be worth it.

And if you people think he'll take a paycut to play for us? Your fricken nuts, not every player is Jerome Bettis...and LJ can't hold the Bus' jockstrap when it comes to his play on the field or his class.

If LJ isn't the feature back, he's gonna whine and moan. Sharing the load with Parker/Moore/Mendenhall isn't going to fly with him.

No thank you to LJ, he'd become a locker room cancer real quick in Pittsburgh.

jjpro11
10-10-2008, 10:30 PM
we are DONE acquiring running backs.. parker, mendenhall and moore is more than enough to get the job done for the next few years.

lilyoder6
10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
i think LJ would be a nice addition to the backfield.. with mendenhall then able to learn behind wille and LJ.. but he will cost way too much

Steelman16
10-11-2008, 02:40 AM
I don't think Larry Johnson fits on our team. I've thought about this after I saw the trade rumors, and I just don't see how it'd work, even IF we wanted or could afford him.

I agree with jjpro11, we're set as we are. We'll be aquiring offensive and defensive linemen over the next two years.

SteelersMongol
10-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Don't want that hair-pulling sissy.

lilyoder6
10-11-2008, 10:36 AM
how does he not fit into the system.. he is a smaller weight size of bettis... he can pound the ball up the middle when he needs too

43Hitman
10-11-2008, 10:54 AM
If the Steelers wanted LJ they would have drafted him when they had the chance.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-11-2008, 12:23 PM

I'm glad you're not making the decisions.....I want no part of LJ......He is aging and cutting our depth to fit him under the cap would be foolish....Plus you mentioned trading Hampton and even a first round pick for LJ....Come on that is just crazy....

The Steelers have what 4 free agents along their OL next year....Plus Kendall Simmons will be coming off an injury...He might be cut next year if he has any set backs coming back from that injury...

The DL even though the depth has held up and played well so far this year could use a young talented player into the mix next year...So trading a firs round pick isn't wise considering those needs....

Rhee Rhee
10-12-2008, 02:53 AM
i would appreciate his services if he came to us at the right price.

remember we were very close to drafting him but the FO rightly traded up for polamalu...

ChronoCross
10-12-2008, 03:04 AM
will not happen.. and were not even in the mix for LJ.. always love this threads.

Steely McSmash
10-12-2008, 03:22 AM
You guys are thinking about this all wrong. How does he look in a sweatsuit?

Hines0wnz
10-22-2008, 01:28 AM
If he keeps hittin womenz maybe his price tag will drop. :coffee:

jasonhightower
10-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I don't see this happening, but I am intrigued by how teams are managing the fact that there most likely won't be a salary cap in 2011. Jerry Jones has already overinflated some salaries banking on this fact.

steelreserve
10-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I don't see this happening, but I am intrigued by how teams are managing the fact that there most likely won't be a salary cap in 2011. Jerry Jones has already overinflated some salaries banking on this fact.

Yeah, and what's he got to show for it? Pacman Jones, a couple of dysfunctional wide receivers, a quarterback who can't win when it counts, and a 4-3 record. How can we ever hope to compete with a juggernaut like that? OMG the sky is falling.

randy06
10-22-2008, 12:08 PM
we dont need him and i dont want him