PDA

View Full Version : Interesting site on O-line stats/ranks

Steeldude
10-11-2008, 09:04 AM
http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol%20

i thought this site's chart made for some interesting reading.

here is a sample...

Stuffed: Percentage of runs that result in (on first down) zero or negative gain or (on second through fourth down) less than one-fourth the yards needed for another first down. Since being stuffed is bad, teams are ranked from stuffed least often (#1) to most often (#32).

the steelers are ranked 28th in that category. that equates to being stuffed 29% of the time.

they are #32 in sack % at 13.2%

they run 60% of their run plays up the middle for 3.54YPC(#27). the NFL average is 4.18 for carries up the middle. the steelers do much better around the ends. the steelers average 5.16YPC(NFL avg. 4.74) around the left end(#11) and 4.18(NFL avg. 3.76) around the right(#13). the steelers only run that direct 8 to 9% of the time.

other than that the O-line is doing great :thumbsup:

note: i realize not all of the sacks are the fault of the O-line. i also realize the steelers have faced some of the better run defenses lately.

GBMelBlount
10-11-2008, 10:11 AM
These stats bare out exactly what I expected based on watching the games. They have done much better "around the ends" as opposed to up the middle. With this apparent success, I wonder why they only run 17% around the ends as opposed to the 23% NFL average?

As far as sacks and run stuffing, not even going to comment..... :chuckle:

lilyoder6
10-11-2008, 10:33 AM
i wouldn't look at those stats too much.. teams defenses are all not the same. some are tougher and weaker than the other

Steeldude
10-11-2008, 06:41 PM
i wouldn't look at those stats too much.. teams defenses are all not the same. some are tougher and weaker than the other

that's true, but the steelers still need to learn how to run against the better teams. the playcalling hasn't been too swift lately either.

steelreserve
10-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I wonder how much of those running stats are because of the line, and how much are the result of wild fluctuations in Parker's game?

Preacher
10-11-2008, 07:41 PM
What that stat tells me is that we are strong on the corners, weak in the middle. Then if you look at who is there, it matches...

We need to fix the center and RG positions. However, it seems with Stapleton, we just may.

That then leaves the RT position and LT position... cause Smith is decent on the run, but not on the pass.

That is the begining of our problem...

and not some wild speculation about some make believe fluctuations of Willies running game.

What.. does he get some water in the gas tank once in a while? :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2008, 09:42 AM
With no real FB in Arians offense, its pretty reasonable to see that the Steelers dont have a a great inside running game and instead look to stretch out the line and run off tackle.

This aint your daddys Steeler running game any more with big backs in an I formation all the time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2008, 09:47 AM
What that stat tells me is that we are strong on the corners, weak in the middle. Then if you look at who is there, it matches...

We need to fix the center and RG positions. However, it seems with Stapleton, we just may.

That then leaves the RT position and LT position... cause Smith is decent on the run, but not on the pass.

That is the begining of our problem...

and not some wild speculation about some make believe fluctuations of Willies running game.

What.. does he get some water in the gas tank once in a while? :chuckle:

Preach, I think all stats can be misleading. This may be saying that we have some of the best blocking TE's in the NFL and one of the fastest backs that can get to the edge. I do believe that Colon is a great run blocker, but a liability in pass protection.

I too like Stapleton, but dont really think he is the next great Steelers OG, because of one game vs the Jags Rob Meier. Especially because Ben threw for over 300 yards. I watched it all again, and Stapleton was solid, but didnt seem to get as good of a push as Simmons.......but its only one game.