PDA

View Full Version : Harrison, Roethlisberger shining team lights

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Harrison, Roethlisberger shining team lights
Sunday, October 12, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's never too early to hand out awards. Why wait for the halfway point of the NFL season? Let's do it now -- during the Steelers' off week -- and beat the rush ...

Speaking of beating the rush, let's take a moment to wish Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger a pain-free day. He was a much younger man the last time he didn't ache on a Sunday.

Offensive MVP: Roethlisberger, who else? Quite simply, he's the NFL's best quarterback with Tom Brady out, the No. 1 reason the Steelers are 4-1 and in control of the AFC North Division.

Defensive MVP: Linebacker James Harrison, who else? Actually, if you want to make a case for defensive end Aaron Smith -- an absolute beast of a player -- you wouldn't be far off base. But Harrison is virtually unblockable and brings a mean streak that any great defense needs.

Special Teams MVP: Kicker Jeff Reed, who else? I used to think Gary Anderson was the best in franchise history. Now, I'm not so sure.

Best Comeback: Safety Troy Polamalu. What a waste of time in the summer, fretting if he would be able to stay healthy and be productive. The man has never been better.

While we're on the subject of needless worry ...

Most Overblown Story: The Steelers' schedule. How tough can it be with six games against the Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals and Baltimore Ravens?

Most Enjoyable Moment: Wide receiver Hines Ward marking his spot in the Cleveland Dawg Pound's end zone after catching a touchdown pass to beat the hated Browns.

Best Play: Roethlisberger's 18-yard pass to Ward on third-and-8 and under tremendous pressure to beat Jacksonville. "That's why he's Big Ben," teammate Mewelde Moore said.

Honorable Mention: Harrison's sack and forced fumble and linebacker LaMarr Woodley's touchdown return against Baltimore.

Worst Play: A third-and-16 against Philadelphia. Roethlisberger was chased right by heavy pressure and threw an incompletion in the direction of wide receiver Santonio Holmes, but that wasn't nearly the worst of it. Guard Chris Kemoeatu was called for holding and Big Ben for an illegal forward pass for desperately trying to get rid of the ball past the line of scrimmage. That play perfectly summed up the Steelers' only loss.

Along those same lines ...

Worst Sequence Of Plays: An earlier series against Philadelphia. The Steelers went sack, sack, false start on tackle Willie Colon, interception. That was an ugly day.

Most Underrated Player: Nose tackle Chris Hoke. The Steelers are 14-2 when he starts. Casey Who?

Most Underused Player: Tight end Heath Miller. Guys, can you call his number a few more times? He never disappoints.

Most Amazing Man At Team Headquarters: Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, 71 and in his 50th NFL season. He's every bit as remarkable as the great Joe Paterno.

Lou Gehrig/Wally Pipp: Cornerback Bryant McFadden. Starter Deshea Townsend got hurt and McFadden stepped in to play lights-out football. He -- not Townsend or Ike Taylor -- is the team's best corner.

Best Coaching: Mike Tomlin at Jacksonville. He wouldn't allow his players to use an unbelievable run of injuries as an excuse.

Worst Coaching: Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians at Philadelphia. The Steelers seemed surprised by the Eagles' blitzing and never adjusted.

Biggest Bust: The 2008 draft class, at least so far. And you thought I was going to say tackle Max Starks. It's hard to believe the same brain trust that brought the team Lawrence Timmons and Woodley in the '07 draft looks as if it will get virtually no help from the '08 bunch.

Tough Luck: Guard Kendall Simmons. At 29, he's facing a long road back from a ruptured Achilles injury.

Worst Use Of $7 Million: Starks. What? You didn't think I'd get there?

Dumbest Penalty: Wide receiver Nate Washington's unsportsmanlike conduct call on the winning drive against Jacksonville. At least linebacker James Farrior had a good reason when he was penalized for throwing the bird at a Cleveland fan; the fan gave him the middle finger first and was cheering an injury to teammate Ryan Clark. Who wouldn't be tempted to respond in kind? But there's no justification for Washington's foolish, selfish act. It could have cost the Steelers the game.

Say What? Ward's $5,000 fine for what the NFL called his "unnecessary roughness" in the Baltimore game. He wasn't penalized during the game. Maybe Jack Lambert had it right all of those years ago. Maybe they should put 'em all in skirts.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08286/919315-66.stm

verks36
10-12-2008, 10:01 AM
very very interesting read liked it alot

steelersfanman92
10-12-2008, 10:40 AM
I agree with most of those, especcially Heath being the most underused

steelpride12
10-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Agreed. Good post.

9-5
10-12-2008, 06:38 PM
At least linebacker James Farrior had a good reason when he was penalized for throwing the bird at a Cleveland fan; the fan gave him the middle finger first and was cheering an injury to teammate Ryan Clark. Who wouldn't be tempted to respond in kind?
Oh, I don't know, any person who can control himself. Who cares what a opposing team's fan does to you? Show you are a better person and ignore them. Oh, I forgot, we are talking about the Steelers. My bad.

tony hipchest
10-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Oh, I don't know, any person who can control himself. Who cares what a opposing team's fan does to you? Show you are a better person and ignore them. Oh, I forgot, we are talking about the Steelers. My bad.take it to the blast furnace. lately, you have offered up nothing other than weak assed smack in this forum.

its obvious youre bitter that the browns suck, but really, this is a steelers forum, and theres a place for youre lame little comments.

hizmi
10-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I love Big Ben to bits, but he's not better than Peyton

Preacher
10-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh, I don't know, any person who can control himself. Who cares what a opposing team's fan does to you? Show you are a better person and ignore them. Oh, I forgot, we are talking about the Steelers. My bad.

Oh, I don't know... Show respect for a HUMAN BEING and don't cheer injuries.

Oh, I forgot, we ARE talking about the Browns fans. They don't have anything else to cheer about.

Son, I suggest you just put your tail between your legs and walk away.

MasterOfPuppets
10-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh, I don't know, any person who can control himself. Who cares what a opposing team's fan does to you? Show you are a better person and ignore them. Oh, I forgot, we are talking about the Steelers. My bad.shouldn't you be over at a browns board trying to figure out why they always ALWAYS suck?

lilyoder6
10-12-2008, 07:37 PM
it's a nice read.. good things on good ppl.. and peyton hasn't been himself this yr

SteelersMongol
10-13-2008, 02:08 AM
Nice article.

Go 2 hell.

Oh, I forgot, we ARE talking about the Browns fans. They don't have anything else to cheer about.

:thumbsup: :hug: :tt02:

fansince'76
10-13-2008, 02:58 AM

One more BS comment outside the BF like this and you're out of here. Cut the shit, kid.

Steelman16
10-13-2008, 03:33 AM
Good article. Agree with mostly everything except calling the 08 draft class a bust. That's a little early IMO. Injuries are injuries. He probably wouldn't be saying that if Mendenhall was healthy and contributing.

Galax Steeler
10-13-2008, 04:54 AM
Nice read thanks.

KeiselPower99
10-13-2008, 09:44 AM
14-2 with Hoke starting????? Thats a great stat.

SteelMember
10-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Best Comeback: Safety Troy Polamalu. What a waste of time in the summer, fretting if he would be able to stay healthy and be productive. The man has never been better.
Wasn't he one of the people questioning his health this summer???

Most of this, I as a fan, can agree with except for the draft "BUST". People were saying the same thing last year about Timmons/Woodley/Spaeth.

ben7
10-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Most enjoyable moment for me was the fumble return to give us the lead against the Ravens.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-13-2008, 03:38 PM

Maybe if Browns fans were not ignorant asshats cheering that the opposing team's player is injured, there wouldn't be the reaction from Farrior.

]I love Big Ben to bits, but he's not better than Peyton

Seriously, he outplayed Peyton Manning last season, and up until yesterday Manning looked like complete crap.

Not to mention this was an article dealing strictly with the Steelers and their TEAM AWARDS...but I wouldn't expect YOU to realize that.

#1LambertFan
10-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow great read. Keep them coming. I always say Labeau is 70 going on 20 with his enthusiasm..... and yes they should be in skirts.

SunshineMan21
10-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I like Big Ben as much as the next guy, but at the moment people can make arguments for him, P. Manning, and Brees all at the top of the heap. I would rank the top QBs with Brady out like this (even if they haven't neccessarily been dominant thus far this year):

1. Peyton Manning
2. Big Ben
3. Drew Brees
4. Brett Favre
5. Jay Cutler
6. Tony Romo
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Eli Manning
9. Phillip Rivers
10. Matt Hasselbeck

Honorable Mention to Jason Campbell, Carson Palmer, Kurt Warner.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
I like Big Ben as much as the next guy, but at the moment people can make arguments for him, P. Manning, and Brees all at the top of the heap. I would rank the top QBs with Brady out like this (even if they haven't neccessarily been dominant thus far this year):

1. Peyton Manning
2. Big Ben
3. Drew Brees
4. Brett Favre
5. Jay Cutler
6. Tony Romo
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Eli Manning
9. Phillip Rivers
10. Matt Hasselbeck

Honorable Mention to Jason Campbell, Carson Palmer, Kurt Warner.

Another person who cannot read.

This article had to do with TEAM AWARDS.

As in Steelers MVP, Steelers Comeback Player.

And once again, last year Ben outplayed Peyton Manning. And until yesterday, he hd looked like complete crap so far this season.

jdsdaguy
10-14-2008, 04:52 AM
everything but the draft.... give them a chance. you can't expect everyone to reach greatness in there first season like BIG BEN. most of these guys were drafted to add to the dept chart. uou have to give a little time.

memphissteelergirl
10-14-2008, 11:23 AM

O
W
N
E
D

:chuckle::applaudit:

SunshineMan21
10-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Another person who cannot read.

This article had to do with TEAM AWARDS.

As in Steelers MVP, Steelers Comeback Player.

And once again, last year Ben outplayed Peyton Manning. And until yesterday, he hd looked like complete crap so far this season.

There's really no need for the rancor--I read perfectly well.

If you'd like to revisit the original post, it was stated that with Tom Brady out, Big Ben is "quite simply" the best quarterback in the NFL.

I agree that he's our team offensive MVP, but I disagree that he's clearly the best QB in the NFL. Not taking anything away from Ben, but Manning and Brees have done enough not to be dismissed with such ease as people seem keen to do.

hizmi
10-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Seriously, he outplayed Peyton Manning last season, and up until yesterday Manning looked like complete crap.

Not to mention this was an article dealing strictly with the Steelers and their TEAM AWARDS...but I wouldn't expect YOU to realize that.

Uh no, he did not outplay Manning last year.

Manning 2007 DVOA: 36% (2nd best)
Big Ben 2007 DVOA: 15.5% (13th best)

Sacks count against a QB, which certainly accounts for the size of the discrepancy. If they didn't count, I'd imagine Ben would've been top 10 for sure, maybe higher, but still worse than Manning.

So far this year, Manning ranks 11th while Ben ranks 21st.

Again sacks are killing Ben's numbers, but he is partially to blame for them, and even if they didn't count against him, Manning has been better.

fansince'76
10-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Uh no, he did not outplay Manning last year.

Manning 2007 DVOA: 36% (2nd best)
Big Ben 2007 DVOA: 15.5% (13th best)

Sacks count against a QB, which certainly accounts for the size of the discrepancy. If they didn't count, I'd imagine Ben would've been top 10 for sure, maybe higher, but still worse than Manning.

So throwing MORE TD passes and FEWER INTS means nothing, I suppose. :coffee:

hizmi
10-16-2008, 11:29 PM

TD/INT ratio is a decent stat, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Who had more "gimme" TD passes (i.e play action inside the 5 yd line)? Who threw more INT's per attempt? How strong were the opponents?

I'll admit I was a bit surprised to see Ben that much lower than Manning considering he threw 1 more TD and 2 less INT, but when you take into account the sacks, INT's per attempt, and strength of schedule (we had a fairly cake schedule last year, especially compared to the Colts), it becomes a bit more clear.

I do think Ben is closer to Manning than the numbers indicate, since he has a much worse offensive line, a worse running game, and inferior WR's (though Ward/Holmes/Washington/Miller is almost as good as Wayne/Harrison/Gonzo/Clark)

If you go back to our SB year when he had a better O-line and running game to support him, Ben ranked 2nd while Manning was 1st.

Likewise in his rookie year Ben was 5th while Manning was 1st.

chucoblack&gold
10-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Good reading, and I've also wondered why Miller hasn't had too many calls thrown in his direction. The Steelers should take advantage of his talent.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Good read. You definitely did some home work and thought deep about what you wrote.

GBMelBlount
10-19-2008, 07:57 AM

.....all while running for his life or 3/4 of the way sacked.