PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Harrison to appeal NFL fine

SteelersMongol
10-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison was in surprisingly good spirits for someone who was fined $20,000 by the NFL for criticizing the officiating in Sunday night's 26-21 win at Jacksonville.

Just don't ask him what he thinks about his punishment.

"I have no comment because I can't get fined for something that I don't say," Harrison said following Wednesday's practice, the team's final one before heading into its bye week. "Right now, if you have questions for me, I have no comment on basically anything unless it's fact. If you ask me if my name is James Harrison, I can say yes to that. If you ask me an opinion on how I feel about a player or a team, I can't answer that because I don't want to be fined."

Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, said yesterday that Harrison will appeal his fine.

Taped on the wall next to Harrison's locker was a letter dated Oct. 6 that he received from NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson explaining his fine.

Taped under the letter was the Tribune-Review article in which Harrison's comments appeared, with the following quote by Harrison highlighted:

"You don't make a call like that in a situation like that, c'mon. Unless (the referee) might have money on it, I don't know."

According to the letter, Harrison violated Article 9.1 (c)(4) of the NFL Constitution and Bylaws, which "prohibits criticism of game officials and other league officials." The letter went on to say that Harrison's "insinuation of gambling is especially disturbing."

Harrison, who is second in the AFC with 6.5 sacks, was flagged for roughing the passer in the fourth quarter after the Steelers had stopped the Jaguars on third down.

Following the win, Harrison said he never took an extra step before hitting quarterback David Garrard and tried to help break Garrard's fall.

"I put my hands out to stop all of my weight from falling on top of him," Harrison said after the game. "Maybe (the referee) was just trying to give them a first down."

Some of Harrison's teammates gathered around his locker as he met with reporters yesterday. Defensive captain James Farrior said he understands what Harrison is going through.

"Oh yeah. We feel his pain. It could easily be one of us. I got fined last week, so I know exactly how he feels," said Farrior, who was docked $7,500 for making an obscene finger gesture at Cleveland Browns fans this season. "That's coming straight out of his check. You don't even get to see it."

Farrior said some of Harrison's teammates believe his comments are reflective of how other players feel.

"Hopefully, I don't get in trouble for this, but (Harrison) definitely felt like he was speaking for a lot of guys. Not only in this locker room, but around the NFL," Farrior said. "Sometimes the calls are made to protect everybody and for everybody's safety, but sometimes they take it a little too far."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_592337.html?source=rss&feed=9

NFL is really turning into a joke. Maybe the fans should establish a fund & pay these kinds of things 4 the players.

Lock Down
10-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Not sure if it will be overturned. The gambling reference might be enough for it to stick. What was the consequence for the refs for that call though? Did anyone step up & say it was a mistake? Fortunately the call had no bearing on the ultimate result.

Galax Steeler
10-13-2008, 03:36 AM
I think it was a good play and shouldn't have penalized for it but like someone stated above the gambling part might be what gets him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Yup, the NFL is afraid of any notion of gambling, officials and organized crime. Just pay up and walk away James.

SteelMember
10-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Probably just a formality based on some advice.

He'll end up paying...they always do.

klick81
10-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Maybe the fans should establish a fund & pay these kinds of things 4 the players.

Umm...maybe the NFL fans can establish a fund to pay for my parking tickets too???

Haha...look. I fully agree with everyone that the NFL is turning into a flag football league, but these players do not need our financial support. A $20,000 fine to them is like a $150 fine to you and me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Actually, if you compare the $20k fine to Harrisons $1.375 mil annual salary. Its like a $727 fine to somebody making an annual income of $50,000.

A decent size fine, but dont come looking at me to help him pay......I gave at the office.

SteelMember
10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Actually, if you compare the $20k fine to Harrisons $1.375 mil annual salary. Its like a $727 fine to somebody making an annual income of $50,000.

A decent size fine, but dont come looking at me to help him pay......I gave at the office.

Me too, but more like blood,sweat and tears. Oh, and really bad hangovers. :chuckle:
Wait, that does describe hangovers.:doh:

benfan7
10-13-2008, 12:08 PM
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
what ever happened to that???

fansince'76
10-13-2008, 12:13 PM
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
what ever happened to that???

Doesn't apply in the workplace. If I were to walk up to my boss and call him an A-hole today, I'd be looking for a new job tomorrow. I don't have a problem with the fine, because Harrison did go overboard with the gambling reference (I also don't think he has a leg to stand on with this appeal), but I do think the amount is excessive.

klick81
10-13-2008, 12:37 PM

So I didn't sit down to do the math. SUE ME!!! :flap:

OneForTheToe
10-13-2008, 12:52 PM
The hit was legit, but, as others have said, the gambling reference is going to lighten your wallet every time. I think the Players Union advises players to appeal their fines, almost as a matter of course, as a way to let the NFL know they are paying attention.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-13-2008, 02:24 PM
His appeal might lower the fine, $20K is a lot for criticizing officiating, no matter what was said. But in the end, he's still going to lose money.

steelpride12
10-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Its a shame there making a big deal over all of this, i just want him to pay the 20k and just let it go.
No matter if the hit was legit or not they fined him and if its not repealed its up to him to pay up.

Hapa
10-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Man $20,000 thats so much. I know they make a lot of money, but that would suck. Imagine the things you could do with $20,000. Just think about it. Damn.

T&B fan
10-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Browns game;;;; and the no call on Bens late hit ...everyone said no flag no fine and Hines gets fined this week for the same thing ... now Harrison gets a high fine for what should have been a NO flag call .:banging: NFL flag football is going to suck :banging: or is it just as long as its the Steelers its ok ???

Preacher
10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Browns game;;;; and the no call on Bens late hit ...everyone said no flag no fine and Hines gets fined this week for the same thing ... now Harrison gets a high fine for what should have been a NO flag call .:banging: NFL flag football is going to suck :banging: or is it just as long as its the Steelers its ok ???

In all honesty...

Harrison got fined not for the the hit, but for running his mouth afterward.

lilyoder6
10-13-2008, 09:22 PM
i doubt that harrison will win this appeal.. u can't call out a ref like that and not feel the consquence

LVSteelersfan
10-13-2008, 10:45 PM
NFL is really turning into a joke. Maybe the fans should establish a fund & pay these kinds of things 4 the players.

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING. Screw the millionaire babies if they can't pay their own fines. I need my money. Follow the rules and you don't get fined. He was out of line according to the rule book. Therefore he got fined. The call was BS but that wasn't what the fine was about.

Galax Steeler
10-14-2008, 03:36 AM
He is going to loose the appeal but like EL-Gonzo said he should just pay it and forget about it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2008, 09:46 AM
So I didn't sit down to do the math. SUE ME!!! :flap:

Not looking for a lawsuit, just putting it in perspective.

I actually thought that Harrison was earning more and that $20k isnt that much to him, but it actually is pretty hefty. I'd still say it was worth it. He got his point across that it was a terrible call and might find he gets some attention from the refs in a good way.

klick81
10-14-2008, 10:13 AM
He got his point across that it was a terrible call and might find he gets some attention from the refs in a good way.

I'm not so sure. Now that he's in the center stage, I'd bet the refs will be more inclined to scrutinize Harrison's every move from here to February.

I would not be surprised if more questionable calls are made against him now.

Steelman16
10-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm beginning to believe there is some sort of motion against the Steelers.

Granted, you DONT criticize officiating calls, but my point isn't really about this one.

I liked Tomlin's comments. [paraprased] "This is getting expensive. Are we not playing within the rules?"

Steelman16
10-14-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm not so sure. Now that he's in the center stage, I'd bet the refs will be more inclined to scrutinize Harrison's every move from here to February.

I would not be surprised if more questionable calls are made against him now.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what will happen. He's got a target on his head now.