PDA

View Full Version : How to spot a fake Jersey

Tagg67
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I found this link through a guy (Frog) on Ebay who has posted very good information and photos of how to pick out fake jerseys. He is a Charger fan and most of his photos are of Charger jerseys, but the info can help you pick out fakes no matter what team you like.

I purchased an Authenthic Kordall Stewart jersey years ago from the Steelers website, and it was a great jersey, but during the 2005 year, I purchased 4 more jerseys off of Ebay. Some were good fakes, but others were just plain poor quality. I got burnt on a few of them so I want to spread my knowledge to you so that you will not loose too much money if you buy off Ebay. I have been doing a lot of research, looking at game footage of the Steelers, and using the official website to help me pick out fakes too.

Hope this helps.
Tagg67

http://www.thumper300zx.com/jersey/fake_vs_real.htm

Lock Down
10-14-2008, 01:15 AM
Good post Tagg. There are definately too many shifty sellers on eBay, that site would definately help out a first time buyer in particular.

steelwall
10-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Hey Im in China, land of the fakeness. However they are masters a copy.

Galax Steeler
10-14-2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the info there is alot of fakes out there and jerseys are reall high.

the_king_from_leon
10-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I thought I had best post a link to a guy in the UK which has a website/forum dedicated to showing how to tell if you have bought a fake jersey

http://nfljerseyfanparadise.forumotion.com/index.htm

I would recommend anyone who wants to learn more about jersey spotting to head over there

Tagg67
10-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the other link... Good information there too. I use to live in the UK, and I agree with you, it's hard to tell what you are getting when you can't go to a local shop to look at the real item.

Thanks for your comments.

Tagg67

SteelersMongol
10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks a bunch.

NJarhead
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
I got a fake/genuine (lol) Joey Porter jersey a couple years ago and I love it. It's an up grade on those thin plastic numbered jerseys. I also had a Greg Lloyd jersey and had my name done on a jersey (regret that one) made from the Steelers store in the Grove City outlets. They had a rack of genuine jerseys with no names or numbers on them. I grabbed two, told them what I wanted and I think it cost about $200.00 including shipping.

On that personal jersey: I used #98 (unused at the time). I wish I'd used #71 (the year I was born). I'm now contemplating having the numbers reversed and inverted and having my name replaced with "WARD" or just having my name replaced with "HAMPTON." ....just not at the top of the priority list (I also shouldn't neglect to say that I was single when I dropped $200.00 on a couple football jerseys :chuckle:) Plus, I've heard there's a glue residue left when the numbers are removed, but there was a slight residue on these when I picked them out and the store cleaned them up nicely. I believe they may have been left over from training camp or something.

Tagg67
10-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Something I noticed over the past couple days on Ebay. There are a few "Throwback" jerseys for players like Bradshaw, Lambert, Greene etc with Player of the Century on them. If you look at the front of the jersey you will notice the Steeler Patch on the upper chest. This patch was not added to the Steeler Jersey's until 1997 (Pittsburgh Steeler history), so unless some of these players were still playing in 1997, they should not have the Steeler patch on the jersey. On a similar note, the 1975 jerseys did come with the Bicentennial patch on the upper chest so players during that time frame should have that patch on them.

I have notice that there are also some Black jerseys with the players names in Yellow with a white outline? Only the names on the White jerseys have the two color layering. (See photos).

There is also a jersey with a 75th Anniversary patch that says Authentic? Look at the jersey closely and you can see that the patch is screen printed! (See Photo)

Just some helpful info that I have come across and would like to share with all of you in the hunt for a jersey. I understand that not everyone is not looking for a real authentic jersey, some just want a cheap low cost version. I just want to put out information that I have researched and think most of us can use in the hunt for a Pittsburgh Steelers Jersey.

Ebay Item: 250308589270
Ebay item: 300265064303

Please feel free to add to this list if you come across something too. Maybe we can get a Sticky posted just for spotting Steelers Jerseys, fake and authentic?

the_king_from_leon
10-16-2008, 05:24 AM
I think rather than looking for fake/authentic jerseys it may be a bit better to list sellers that are fake/authentic

TailgateMel
10-16-2008, 09:41 AM
On another note... is it just me.. or does it bother other folks on here when they see people wearing Lambert, Bradshaw... (any non-round number veterans) jerseys with round numbers... I see that A LOT. Isn't anything illegal.. but.. just kinda seems cheesy to me.

Mel

SteelersHoss
10-16-2008, 05:55 PM
I am curious as to, if most of the jerseys are fake on ebay, then where do the reebok tages come from, as well as the bags. I bought a Bettis Superbowl XL jersey a few years ago, I love it, and while it may be fake, i cannot tell the difference.

NJarhead
10-16-2008, 06:04 PM
On another note... is it just me.. or does it bother other folks on here when they see people wearing Lambert, Bradshaw... (any non-round number veterans) jerseys with round numbers... I see that A LOT. Isn't anything illegal.. but.. just kinda seems cheesy to me.

Mel

My real Greg Lloyd jersey has rounded numbers and it used to bother me, because he wore the square ones for all but his final year... oh well. :noidea:

TailgateMel
10-16-2008, 07:08 PM
My real Greg Lloyd jersey has rounded numbers and it used to bother me, because he wore the square ones for all but his final year... oh well. :noidea:

Well, at least it was one year! :tt02:

NJarhead
10-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Well, at least it was one year! :tt02:

Thanks buddy. That's what I began telling myself, "well, it is legit..." :laughing:

Tagg67
10-17-2008, 07:54 AM
I am curious as to, if most of the jerseys are fake on ebay, then where do the reebok tages come from, as well as the bags. I bought a Bettis Superbowl XL jersey a few years ago, I love it, and while it may be fake, i cannot tell the difference.

To help answer your question about the Reebok tags, I am going to share something that I found out while being stationed in S. Korea years ago. While stationed in Korea for a year, I spoke with a few shops that made and sold NFL, MLB, NBA, clothing. I know that Reebok is the current maker of the NFL jerseys, and in the past, Adadis, Starter, and Nike also had the contract.
Anyone that has spent more than a weekend in Korea can confirm what I am about to discuss. This is what the shop owners explained to me....
When an organization puts in an order for say 5,000 jersey, the shops makes more than the requested number to cover for mistakes, defects, etc. The items are inspected and and sent to the states. When they arrive in the states, they go through customs, and then on to the organizations. The items are inspected by the teams, and any defective items are returned to Korea, and sometimes any surplus "Perfect" items may also get sent back.
You can find defective jerseys, as well as the perfectly original jerseys in stores in Korea, you just have to know what you are looking for, or you ask the shop owner. Here are some examples of some of the defective items I found in the shops:

- Jersey's with misspelled names or wrong numbers
- Jerseys with the wrong tags (Large jersey with Medium tag)
- Logo sewn upside down
- Banner sewn upside down or off center

Access to original tags, labels, bags etc are very easy to copy, steal, or make in Korea.

Tagg67
10-17-2008, 08:07 AM

To help answer your question about the Reebok tags, I am going to share something that I found out while being stationed in S. Korea years ago. While stationed in Korea for a year, I spoke with a few shops that made and sold NFL, MLB, NBA, clothing. I know that Reebok is the current maker of the NFL jerseys, and in the past, Adadis, Starter, and Nike also had the contract.
Anyone that has spent more than a weekend in Korea can confirm what I am about to discuss. This is what the shop owners explained to me....
When an organization puts in an order for say 5,000 jersey, the shops makes more than the requested number to cover for mistakes, defects, etc. The items are inspected and and sent to the states. When they arrive in the states, they go through customs, and then on to the organizations. The items are inspected by the teams, and any defective items are returned to Korea, and sometimes any surplus "Perfect" items may also get sent back.
You can find defective jerseys, as well as the perfectly original jerseys in stores in Korea, you just have to know what you are looking for, or you ask the shop owner. Here are some examples of some of the defective items I found in the shops:

- Jersey's with misspelled names or wrong numbers
- Jerseys with the wrong tags (Large jersey with Medium tag)
- Logo sewn upside down
- Banner sewn upside down or off center

Access to original tags, labels, bags etc are very easy to copy, steal, or make in Korea.

SteelMember
10-17-2008, 04:07 PM

Mel

I agree, kinda cheesy. Though I don't think many people are as astute to the "correct" style for the times. They just want a throwback at an inexpensive price.:noidea:

The best advice I can give is "do your research", look at old pictures, etc. There are plenty of fakes. Ebay themselves will even admit (off the record) that about 95%+ of all jerseys are fake.

Also, beware of stock photos. If they are afraid to show the actual item, they probably have copy/pasted photos from legitimate sources.

In the end, all that really matters is that you are happy with the purchase. No one wants to spend $200-$300 on a jersey. Well, not me anyway. If you get a deal, and it meets your standards, that's good enough.

Muppet13
10-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't trust eBay.

MillerMania83
10-24-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm the new guy on the block here....First off, I LOVE this freakin' site, so glad I found it....I have a question I know someone on here can help me out....I was recently looking at purchasing an authentic, black, home Roethlisberger jersey....The description said it's the exact same jersey worn on the field....But above the #7 on the FRONT of the jersey it had "STEELERS" embroided right INTO the jersey....This threw me for a loop, as I can't remember the Steelers ever having "STEELERS" right above the # on the front of the jersey....Then I got to thinkin', well maybe a few years back they did have this on the jerseys for a year or two, but it's just not "ringing a bell"....I know it hasn't been on the uni's in any very recent years, but I was thinking that maybe it was a few years back....Other than that, all of the details and tags on the jersey are exact, the tag on the inside back collar says RBK AUTHENTIC....Just want to say THANKS in advance for any info anyone can give me about this, it's greatly appreciated....And I'm looking forward to talking about the GREATEST team on the planet with all of ya's in the near future.

MillerMania83
10-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all of the info guys, it's greatly appreciated....So I'm guessing the Steelers NEVER had "Steelers" embroided above the # on the front of jereseys ever....I didn't think they did, but I really wasn't sure, as I thought maybe for a year or 2 maybe they did alter their jerseys a bit and I just didn't notice it at the time....Thanks again.

Tagg67
10-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I don't think I have ever seen "STEELERS embroidered on the front? I have owned an authentic Starter Randle El, and a "Real Deal" authentic Kordell Stewart Nike jersey, and I know neither of them had it. The newer Reebok's don't have it either. What company is the maker of the Roethlisberger jersey you are looking at?

The Steelers jersey's have had NFL shield on the front for a long time, and that was the only thing on the front until they added the round patch in the 1997. Check out this website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers

Tagg67

Tagg67
10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all of the info guys, it's greatly appreciated....So I'm guessing the Steelers NEVER had "Steelers" embroided above the # on the front of jereseys ever....I didn't think they did, but I really wasn't sure, as I thought maybe for a year or 2 maybe they did alter their jerseys a bit and I just didn't notice it at the time....Thanks again.

I looked at Authentic jerseys online at NFLSHOP.com and all the teams with the exception of the following had either their names or symbols above the numbers on the front of the jerseys:

Bears
Bills
Chiefs
Colts
Jaguars
Jets
Panthers
Packers
Raiders
Saints
Steelers
49ers

The Steelers probably don't because they have the patch on the front left chest.

SteelMember
10-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm the new guy on the block here....First off, I LOVE this freakin' site, so glad I found it....I have a question I know someone on here can help me out....I was recently looking at purchasing an authentic, black, home Roethlisberger jersey....The description said it's the exact same jersey worn on the field....But above the #7 on the FRONT of the jersey it had "STEELERS" embroided right INTO the jersey....This threw me for a loop, as I can't remember the Steelers ever having "STEELERS" right above the # on the front of the jersey....Then I got to thinkin', well maybe a few years back they did have this on the jerseys for a year or two, but it's just not "ringing a bell"....I know it hasn't been on the uni's in any very recent years, but I was thinking that maybe it was a few years back....Other than that, all of the details and tags on the jersey are exact, the tag on the inside back collar says RBK AUTHENTIC....Just want to say THANKS in advance for any info anyone can give me about this, it's greatly appreciated....And I'm looking forward to talking about the GREATEST team on the planet with all of ya's in the near future.

That dosen't sound right to me. Sometimes when jerseys are faked, they take a style, say the dolphins which has the name on the front, and do all the teams the same way. Other than that I don't know. I rember when I was kid and got jerseys at a department store like JC Penny or Hills, they did have "STEELERS" above the numbers on the front, but they were in no way claiming to be "authentic".

Steel Duck
11-03-2008, 07:03 AM
A couple of years ago my husband decided to replace his print screen jersey with an authentic...He indeed bought it on ebay. Now, I can't say for absolute sure their not copies..I am no expert....but it looked wonderful! So wonderful infact we bought three more from the same guy. We now each have one away and one home "Ward of course"
When we were in Pittsburgh last year we did some visual comparing..and ours were exact! (we had them on at the time)
Anyway, when we get ready to buy another we'll go to the same guy!!!!

It's truly a shame that people get screwed on this, and I think it's great you posted this information!:applaudit:

Tagg67
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Thank you for the comments:wave:

You will have to let me know who you buy your jerseys from because I am looking to get a Troy Polamalu or Moore jersey soon. I hope he is still selling on Ebay.
Did you get a good deal on the jerseys you got on ebay?

Tagg67

chucoblack&gold
11-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I've been shopping around for a Woodley jersey on ebay but the ones I come across lood rather odd. The jerseys I have seen lately have the mesh that continues where the name patch finishes up to the collar on the backside of the jersey. You can see the tag through the mesh from the back. Does anyone know if these are a new style of jersey?

My Bettis jersey does not have the mesh running all the way to the collar as these but then again I have had that jersey since '02:helmet:

Tagg67
11-21-2008, 07:27 AM
I've been shopping around for a Woodley jersey on ebay but the ones I come across lood rather odd. The jerseys I have seen lately have the mesh that continues where the name patch finishes up to the collar on the backside of the jersey. You can see the tag through the mesh from the back. Does anyone know if these are a new style of jersey?

My Bettis jersey does not have the mesh running all the way to the collar as these but then again I have had that jersey since '02:helmet:

I have seen the ones from the official Steelers website and the authentic's there do have the mesh that continues all the way to the collar. It's easier to see on the black jersey's, but if anyone has an Authentic Reebok Steelers, can you confirm our discussion?

Thanks,
Tagg67

chucoblack&gold
12-04-2008, 12:40 AM
I have seen the ones from the official Steelers website and the authentic's there do have the mesh that continues all the way to the collar. It's easier to see on the black jersey's, but if anyone has an Authentic Reebok Steelers, can you confirm our discussion?

Thanks,
Tagg67

I ended up buying one from ebay and it's a decent quality. Considering I only paid $48 total I'll go ahead and rock it for Sunday's game. It does hame some flaws on the embroidery, such as some minor gaps on the steeler badge but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I'll try to post some close up pics.

Tagg67
12-08-2008, 01:25 PM
What jersey did you buy off ebay, and who was the seller???

chucoblack&gold
12-10-2008, 01:42 AM
The item listing has been deleted by ebay. I think the seller ripped off some people cause I also received an alert from ebay regarding the seller.:noidea:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280286689388

SteelFan4Life
12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey everybody...

Jump OFF of ebay and ON to www.ioffer.com. It is a better service with more reputable NFL jersey providers. Find a seller by the name of "FlintSports" and his name is John.

He sells 8-10 of the current Steelers' players for $45 shipped. I've gotten a Woodley and a Ward jersey and it is hard to tell them apart from the authentics. I'm impressed with the quality. Check it out.

Tell him Josh or Teach_4_Christ sent ya. :) I'll post photos of my jersey in a bit.

Tagg67
12-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up Josh.... I am going to check out this site.

SteelFan4Life
12-11-2008, 01:57 PM
No problem. I've bought three jerseys from him (woodley, lambert, polamalu) and they are TOP NOTCH!

Let me know what you think...

Godfather
12-11-2008, 02:50 PM
I saw a blatant fake the other day. It was a Chad Johnson jersey with a Super Bowl patch.

Tagg67
05-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Now is probably the best time to buy a jersey since it's not football season. Be on the lookout for fakes though, and do some research. I know there are some good deals out there......:tt02:

SteelersMongol
05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey everybody...

Jump OFF of ebay and ON to www.ioffer.com. It is a better service with more reputable NFL jersey providers. Find a seller by the name of "FlintSports" and his name is John.

He sells 8-10 of the current Steelers' players for $45 shipped. I've gotten a Woodley and a Ward jersey and it is hard to tell them apart from the authentics. I'm impressed with the quality. Check it out.

Tell him Josh or Teach_4_Christ sent ya. :) I'll post photos of my jersey in a bit.

Hey thanks. I've been wanting 2 get Miller's throwback jersey 4 a while. Price sounds nice, & it looks pretty good 2 me.

SteelMember
05-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey everybody...

Sorry, but I took a look at some of these, and honestly, they don't look any better than the knockoffs on eBay. I specifically looked, in detail, at a Woodley jersey and the name on the back is done way wrong. The "O's" look like they should be on a Mr. MaGoo jersey, NOT a Steeler Jersey. :noidea:

To each his own, but you can't expect that a jersey that retails for $285 found for $29.99 to be "Authentic".

The age old aphoristic platitude..."If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

kprst6
05-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Are the customized "Authentic" jerseys even authentic?

I just purchased one, and it doesn't use the same material for the letters and numbers that the pre-made authentics use.

For some reason, they use a shinny reflective materiel that doesn't sit flat and looks like the numbers are wrinkled.

Tagg67
08-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Are the customized "Authentic" jerseys even authentic?

I just purchased one, and it doesn't use the same material for the letters and numbers that the pre-made authentics use.

For some reason, they use a shinny reflective materiel that doesn't sit flat and looks like the numbers are wrinkled.

Do you have any photos that you can post??

kprst6
08-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't have a good picture because all I have is a camera phone but I can tell you this.

The nflshop website jerseys are complete garbage. (The black home ones at least)

I purchased a "Customized Authentic" Polamalu. It has shinny "dazzle" letters and numbers which the Steelers have never used. They reflect light and make the jersey look fake (which it technically is since its not real on the field material). The numbers don't sit flat at all. The letters are some bright orange color. Price paid $285.00 + Shipping and handling from NFLSHOP.com

My friend purchased an "Authentic Pre-Made" Polamalu. He got it and we instantly noticed the differences in quality and material (why do they use different material if they are supposedly both "On the Field" jerseys that are supposed to be exactly the same). There were pros and cons to this jersey. The pro being the jersey numbers sit flat. The cons being the Jersey numbers use a cheaper material than the customized jerseys use. The stitching is really thin around the letters and numbers which would easily fray and cause the numbers to fall off. The customized jersey had better stitching but the quality of the stitching around the numbers was poor on the custom jersey. The letters are the same color as the on the filed authentic however the stitching sticks out and are unlike real on the filed jerseys. Price paid $299.00 + Shipping and handling from NFLSHOP.com

Here's the kicker. We both have On the Field authentic jerseys that we purchased from the Steelers Sideline Store at Heinz Filed (a Ward and a Roethlisberger). This is completely different looking than either of the 2 jerseys from NFLSHOP. The real on the field authentic jerseys use a cloth like material for the numbers and that doesnt leave fold creases when you sit down or bend the numbers. The material is 100% different than the NFLSHOP premandes which is 100% different from the NFLSHOP custom Authentics (yes we have 3 jerseys that are "authentic" and purchased from reputable places and all 3 used different material). The jerseys purcahsed at Heinz Field use stitching 10x thicker than either jersey from NFLSHOP.com. The materials are top notch and looks like they would last a long time whereas both NFLSHOP.com jerseys looked like they would wear down and start to crack and tear after a few washes. Price paid $275.00 with no shipping and handling charges at Heinz Field.

I'll try to get pictures however I hope others can provide input on their experiences with NFLSHOP's poor quality. For $285.00 you would expect to get a true "On the field" jersey. Its not like a Steelers jersey is complex like other teams.

kprst6
08-24-2009, 08:02 PM
NFLSHOP Premade of the left, custom made on the right.

http://todaysaddiction.com/crap/jersey1.JPG

http://todaysaddiction.com/crap/jersey2.JPG

From far away, the pre-made looks ok, however the numbers and stitching are not "One The field quality". I purposely bent the bottom of the 4 and now there is a permanent crease. The real on the field authentic's do not leave creases or folds.

Now look at my Hines "On The Field" authentic that I purchased at Heinz Field. The numbers are limp and not stiff so they won't bend and fold and leave creases etc. The stitching is super thick on the numbers and it almost looks as if the nameplate isn't stitched on because the stitching is so close to the material.

http://todaysaddiction.com/crap/hinesjersey.JPG

kprst6
08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
The worst part of buying custom jerseys from NFLSHOP.com is that the Customer Service reps insisted that the jerseys were exactly the same and that they would not issue me a refund.

I sent them these exact photos and they said that they could not clearly see a difference that justified a refund and that my refund would be denied. The receipt clearly says they will except refunds on any item however since the one jersey was customized, they wouldn't refund me my money.

If you see anyone at Heinz Field with one of these jerseys on, they aren't fake, the person wearing them just got ripped off from NFLSHOP.com.

I read numerous reviews and I guess they use poor quality on all of the jerseys the make.

buckeyes25
08-26-2009, 07:19 PM
hey...i was looking for a quality replica "authentic" jersey because I dont like getting my real authentics dirty.....I was wondering what anyone thinks of this site or if anyone has ever ordered from here...

http://www.nfljerseysupply.com/pittsburgh-steelers-10-holmes-white-nfl-jersey-p-2337.html

kprst6
08-26-2009, 11:33 PM
hey...i was looking for a quality replica "authentic" jersey because I dont like getting my real authentics dirty.....I was wondering what anyone thinks of this site or if anyone has ever ordered from here...

http://www.nfljerseysupply.com/pittsburgh-steelers-10-holmes-white-nfl-jersey-p-2337.html

That jersey looks horrible. The white sleeves don't even match

buckeyes25
08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
That jersey looks horrible. The white sleeves don't even match

hahaha...good eye on the sleeves man i didnt notice that

edit i think the size difference on the sleeves is from perspective

jeff000
08-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Hi,

I've had this jersey for a while now and just wondering if anyone by looking at the photos I posted can tell me if it is a true authentic or a fake?

Thanks.

ben
08-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi,

I've had this jersey for a while now and just wondering if anyone by looking at the photos I posted can tell me if it is a true authentic or a fake?

Thanks.

Bottom line is: Are you happy with it?

SteelMember
08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi,

Thanks.

The jersey itself looks pretty good, but the nameplate, the style and shape of the letters, isn't exactly correct. Maybe this was a blank authentic and made into a BB.

Some things I look for are the steelers patch. You can see it looks a lot better than the one in the link posted by buckeye. The diamonds in that don't even touch and do not thin out at the points. Another thing, I believe Tagg has touched on, is the NFL shield. This has more stars, which is the older version. The new logo only has 8. 4 on each side (I guess that represents the divisions), but overall the stiching looks good.

SteelMember
08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Bottom line is: Are you happy with it?

And that is really all that matters.

If it's good enough for you, and you saved a few bucks, who cares?

It'll probably end up getting sloshed with beer anyway.

and not necessarily yours...:laughing:

jeff000
08-27-2009, 10:44 AM
I like the jersey a bunch and true that is all that matters. Thanks for the input.

kprst6
08-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi,

Thanks.

The number 7 on the back is too small. It should almost be as long as the name Roethlisberger which that one clearly isn't. Thats the easiest way to spot a fake is by the name and number sizes.

It should look like this:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/peter_king/01/19/superbowl/ben-roethlisberger.jpg

SteelMember
08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
It should look like this:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/peter_king/01/19/superbowl/ben-roethlisberger.jpg

I don't want it to ever look like that picture...EVER!

Look! What is that is rays hand? Is that a shiv?

:chuckle:

kprst6
08-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I just hate how there are so many fake jerseys that people honestly don't know whats real and whats fake because no one has a real jersey. A good example was when my mom won a Ward "authentic" jersey valued at $300.00 at a local bar. Let's just say there was a lot of arguing saying that it was no where close to being real and that it probably cost less than the $10.00 my mom spent on tickets.

If you go to any Penguins game, 80% of the blue jerseys are fakes. I rarely ever see a real Blue jersey.

I don't really have an issue with fake jerseys, I just hate it when Johnny Footballstar buys 100's of them and tries to sell them to everyone at the local bar and ends up making thousands of dollars (yes everyone knows this guy and everyone knows the person that always looks at your jersey and says "I can get that for $25.00, same quality from Johnny Football Star). Then you go to said bar and 100 people have the jersey on thinking its real and try to make comparisons to your authentic jersey and act like you are a snob for actually spending a little extra money and SUPPORTING your team and favorite player.

house07
08-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and came across this thread while searching for jerseys. Can anyone recommend an ebay seller? I know it'll probably be fake but as long as it looks pretty authentic that's fine with me. I'm all the way out here in California so it's hard to find any Steelers jerseys out here. I'm looking to buy a premier for hubby.

Thanks!

jeff000
08-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't want it to ever look like that picture...EVER!

Look! What is that is rays hand? Is that a shiv?

:chuckle:

I agree. That number looks way too big. I would not want the number on the back to be that big is correct.

Tagg67
08-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and came across this thread while searching for jerseys. Can anyone recommend an ebay seller? I know it'll probably be fake but as long as it looks pretty authentic that's fine with me. I'm all the way out here in California so it's hard to find any Steelers jerseys out here. I'm looking to buy a premier for hubby.

Thanks!

I will take a look this evening and email you a few sellers on Ebay that I have used in the past for Jerseys.....

Tagg67

Tagg67
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Here are the two photos of NFL Shields:

buckeyes25
08-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I was wondering if any one knew if this site(http://steelerheadquarters.com) is reputable? I recently bought a signed Polamalu jersey off of here and I recieved a signed Timmons jersey...I thought this was a little sketchy....I am also a little concerned with the quality of the jersey i can post pics later if no one knows of the site.

kprst6
08-30-2009, 01:34 PM
They are pretty much the only place that I know of that has 100% authentic Steelers Autographs.

The owner Josh Korb is at almost every signing event that I go to. Most of the players are under contract for his Steel Town Memorabilia business. If you ever send him something to get signed, he will literally take a picture of the player signing the item you sent in (which is better than a certificate of authenticity in my opinion). I have a few rare photos that I have taken (only 1 in existence) of Lambert and Blount that I got signed through Steel Town Memorabilia and he has taken photos of the players signing them.

His jerseys are sometimes rep-thentic jerseys with modified sleeves (sometimes they aren't real jerseys), however the autographs are 100% legitimate.

house07
09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Since I don't seem to be getting any recommendations for good fake jerseys, I'm thinking about biting the bullet and just buying a real one. Are there any good online stores to buy from? Do I need to worry that they might be fake if I'm buying from Reebok or Steelers web sites?

Thanks.

kprst6
09-04-2009, 09:23 AM
If you want a Real 100% authentic "On the Field" jersey, the only place you can get them is from the Steelers website or a Steelers Sideline store.

The jerseys at NFLSHOP.com do not have true On The Field jerseys. Their so called on the filed jerseys use Rep-Thentic jersey materials for the name and number. Stay away from the NFLSHOP.com customized jerseys!!!

stb_steeler
09-07-2009, 09:43 PM
They like to call those Authentic replicas for some reason

weller125
10-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Has anyone heard of the website borntrade.com? Friends of mine swear you can receive authentic jerseys for $35 dollars. I have seen the jerseys and checked out the website, they appear to be good quality and are stiched. They are better and cheaper than the replica ones from nflshop or other credible site so they are worth buying. But I have told my friend there is no way they are actually authentic, but he continues to swear by it. Does anyone know anything about this site? How can I prove he is wrong other than actually paying $300 for an authentic one to compare to it.
Thanks

Nadroj 20
10-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Has anyone heard of the website borntrade.com? Friends of mine swear you can receive authentic jerseys for $35 dollars. I have seen the jerseys and checked out the website, they appear to be good quality and are stiched. They are better and cheaper than the replica ones from nflshop or other credible site so they are worth buying. But I have told my friend there is no way they are actually authentic, but he continues to swear by it. Does anyone know anything about this site? How can I prove he is wrong other than actually paying $300 for an authentic one to compare to it.
Thanks

I have never heard of it.....it does sound too good to be true but idk i guess its possible :noidea:

SteelMember
10-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks

I looked at the site, and to tell you the truth this looks like a wholesale supplier that has it's products littering the market on eBay. This Chinese company, which is pretty easy to determine because not only did it ask me to install a simplified Chinese language pack when entering their site, but it also states as such in their info link.

Some of these are really terrible. For instance the Bettis Throwback on the front page. :chuckle:

I just don't get it. I can't print a T-shirt with any type of logo or "image" that is copyrighted without the possibility of getting a cease and dissest order, but these guys are flagrently selling knockoffs with patches from the NFL, The Pittsburgh Steelers, Mitchell & Ness, and Reebok on them. It must be part of our trade agreement. :doh:

Sure. Save a few bucks and support the red army. What costs you $35 plus $25 shipping costs them probably $4...at the most.

SteelMember
10-30-2009, 08:08 AM
I get my throwbacks from Borntrade.com... They are awesome!! You must buy from them..

To each his own. :noidea:

Tx777
11-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Sure. Save a few bucks and support the red army. What costs you $35 plus $25 shipping costs them probably $4...at the most.

Good point but, what cost 250 on NFLShop still cost the 4 dollars to make. Where do you think Reebok is having these jerseys made? Im sure its in the same area that the bootleg jerseys are made. I would rather get ripped off for 50 bucks for a bootleg then 250 by Reebok

SteelMember
11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Good point but, what cost 250 on NFLShop still cost the 4 dollars to make. Where do you think Reebok is having these jerseys made? Im sure its in the same area that the bootleg jerseys are made. I would rather get ripped off for 50 bucks for a bootleg then 250 by Reebok

Yes, I realize there is PLENTY of mark up on these, but I don't remember anywhere I said that you need to have an official, authentic, sewn letter jersey to be a fan. You can draw some numbers on a t-shirt with a sharpie, like we used to do as kids for all I care. The point here is how to recognize a FAKE. And these are fakes!

See, no matter how much Reeboks' cut is, the places that produce these legitimately have purchased licenses and must produce them with certain guidelines and some kind of quality control in mind. Materials, stitching, sizing... all must meet standards when made to justify the high cost. These other things are made from what gets throw away from legit factories, or are produced as look alikes. Again, all well and good. Just don't advertise them as the "real deal". That's all.

Forgery is a big business. CD's, DVD's, jewelery, clothing, purses, shoes etc.
Getting a deal is one thing. Thinking and/or paying for it like it's the real thing is another. :hunch:

And if you really think about it, the $250 goes to support the team and the league. Where does the profit from that no name, sweat shop go? There ya go.

\rant

VASteelerGuy
01-03-2010, 08:58 AM
$250.00 is to support the team and the league? So the replicas are $70.00ish and probably cost $5.00 to make and the authentics probably cost $20 tops to make...how much does it take to suppor the league?

When the league decides to drop these prices so a reasonable fan can afford them, I'll be all over getting those counterfeits out of business. I have a fake that looks so good and it only cost $40 from Korea....why in the world would I buy a replica plastic verison for almost twice the price. I'm also not worried about getting something on it, losing it, etc. $250.00 and I think I'm wearing a see through rain jacket around.

If the NFL put the Rebok replicas at $25.00 and the authentics, even at just $99.00....you would all but elminate the problem.

Eric_PolaMELO
02-06-2010, 10:44 PM
i got my sister to order me a Ben Roethlisberger and Hines Ward jersey through a guy at her work. They are both white, stitched and have the super bowl 43 patch on it ( I didnt really want the Super Bowl patch on it, but i forgot to tell my sister.) I noticed that the yellow on the sleeves are a little bit darker then the other jerseys. It kind of looks like theres a little bit of orange in it, but the sleeves are more on the yellow side.But i think the reason why the sleeves are dark is because the jerseys are brand new, but im not sure. So im wondering if its a fake or authentic. I will post pictures of them as soon as i get my camera working.

steelerdude15
02-07-2010, 01:30 AM
This is very helpful, thanks to the person who posted this.

steelerdude15
02-07-2010, 01:46 AM
I've been looking at Ebay for jerseys and their so easy to spot that there fakes. Incorrect fonts, numbers too small, etc. I'll be going to NFLshop.com to get my authentic jersey.

jollyrob68
02-07-2010, 03:07 PM
i got my sister to order me a Ben Roethlisberger and Hines Ward jersey through a guy at her work. They are both white, stitched and have the super bowl 43 patch on it ( I didnt really want the Super Bowl patch on it, but i forgot to tell my sister.) I noticed that the yellow on the sleeves are a little bit darker then the other jerseys. It kind of looks like theres a little bit of orange in it, but the sleeves are more on the yellow side.But i think the reason why the sleeves are dark is because the jerseys are brand new, but im not sure. So im wondering if its a fake or authentic. I will post pictures of them as soon as i get my camera working.

They official yellow color is orangish yellow. I thought I got the wrong color when I picked up the NFl Gildens paint for the steelers.

Venom
02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Your right about the " orangie " color on the away jersey . A friend of mine gave me an away jersey that the sleeves were yellow but the name on the back ( Ward ) was orange . What I did was go to one of my local sporting stores and they took off the orange Ward and replaced it by stitching up the right color with black outlined of Wards name on it. It just cost me $ 30.00. Not bad I think.

steelerdude15
02-07-2010, 06:13 PM
dude15,

Can you send me your sig/avator with all 3 teams for Pburgh? That is so awesome that you did not count out the Bucco's just because they have struggled for so long. People tend to forget they are in the top 6 teams in the MLB with most WS's... I want that for other websites. Thanks in advance...
Yeah man, no problem. I'll PM you it.

steelerdude15
02-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Actually, just try to copy it from this page directly. I tried sending it, but it didn't work.

steelerdude15
02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Alright, I'll try that.

Eric_PolaMELO
02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks everyone who replied to my comment. I took pictures of my jerseys to get your guys opinion, i also took a picture of my Parker jersey that my brother gave me.

Eric_PolaMELO
02-08-2010, 12:00 AM
i cant seem to get the rest of my pics on here. ill try tomorrow.

steelerdude15
02-09-2010, 12:40 AM
The Ward and Parker nameplates look a little odd...

Tagg67
02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
I think they look pretty good too. The treading on the Parker looked a little loose, but the others looked spot on.

Eric_PolaMELO
02-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the comments! I just wanted the white ones because they one the last two super bowls with them. I hope i can get the throwback jerseys. There really nice!!