PDA

View Full Version : Bookworm

Leftoverhard
10-14-2008, 11:46 AM
What do you guys read? I know we're in a sports forum but I can smell some bookworms out there.
I just got finished reading:

The Watchmen (graphic novel - coming to a theater near you)
Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - fiction, loosely about 9/11
Over The Edge Of The World - non-fiction about Magellan's crazy trip.

Right now I'm in the middle of this little book about Charles Darwin and I'm about to re-read one of my favorite books of all time, The Pirate Hunter by Richard Zacks. Awesome.

xfl2001fan
10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm going to crack open Glenn Becks "An Inconvenient Book" here shortly. I received it last year for Christmas (autographed copy) and put it up while the wife and I continue to organize our house.

Since we believe we'll be moving soon (the joys of working for Uncle Sam) we figured it was best to get rid of stuff that hasn't been touched the last two moves.

Mosca
10-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Moby Dick - My daughter was assigned it for summer reading, and I read it along with her as a challenge to her (she thinks that if I can do it, she can, too)
The Chosen - same deal, great book.
A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Big Horn - the Last Great Battle of the American West - excellent history book.
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers - Kelby, in all his glory. Lightroom 2 is incredibly and sublimely powerful. Set up right, it's as if it is reading your mind.

I read constantly. I usually have 2 or 3 books going at once. Right now in addition to the Lightroom book I'm also reading Bryan Peterson's Understanding Shutter Speed: Photography Beyond 1/125th Second, a great project-type book. Next year's training camp pictures are going to be phenomenal.

Dino 6 Rings
10-14-2008, 12:19 PM
In the middle of re-reading the George Martin series called Song of Fire and Ice.

The jackhole still has to finish book 5 so I'm re-reading the first 4 books to catch up.

Leftoverhard
10-14-2008, 12:31 PM
[[/i]A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Big Horn - the Last Great Battle of the American West [/i] - excellent history book.

I'll have to put that on my list - I love history, especially when it's written well.
I have a pretty good collection of photography books going - mostly on darkroom technique and history.

I forgot to list Treasure Island as one of my latest reads - Still one of the best - and mindblowing to keep in mind while reading it that it was written for young children.

MACH1
10-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Playboy.

Borski
10-14-2008, 02:17 PM
I used to read tons of books, Lord of the Rings, classic novels, lots of other books. But since I started college, reading textbooks has killed my love of reading. I haven't read a book for enjoyment since I started college.

MasterOfPuppets
10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Playboy.i read all the cartoons......:thumbsup:

MACH1
10-14-2008, 03:10 PM
i read all the cartoons......:thumbsup:

Yep, and I also read all the articles. :chuckle:

Leftoverhard
10-14-2008, 03:29 PM
lol, I was waiting for someone to bring up Playboy.
My friend's dad died a few years ago and we found his 20+ box collection while cleaning out the garage. I ended up reading* them all. I really like the 60's and early 70's.

tony hipchest
10-14-2008, 03:53 PM
i just picked up the essential and authoritive calving and hobbes in hardback so i am re-reading those for the umpteenth time.

also got a nice book w/ illustrations of all of h.r. geigers artwork.

then i will move on to jerome bettis' autobiography which i finally got last week as a gift.

Vis
10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Last book I read was The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I think it's better than the George Martin books.

Preacher
10-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Just finished Clancy's Jack Ryan series... again.

Currently reading "The Drama of Doctrien: A Canonical -Linguistic Approach to Christian Theology. by Kevin Vanhoozer.

Just picked up a book called "Patrick, Son of Ireland." Though I am finding it hard to read... I hate books written in the first person if they are not autobiographies.

I am about to pick up "The Chronicles of Narnia" . . . again.

revefsreleets
10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Re-reading Susan Jacoby's "Freethinkers: A History of Secularism in America" (Hmmm...why would that be???)

And I'm firing up "My Life" by William Jefferson Clinton.

I read a whole series of books about terrorism before that from a bunch of different authors from all over the political spectrum, and also tossed in "Supreme Courtship" By Christopher Buckley for a little levity...

tony hipchest
10-14-2008, 07:19 PM
just finished up "The Lorax" by dr. seuss and "Diary of a Worm".

compelling stuff.

ive tried to read calvin and hobbes to my 5 year old. while she likes the pictures the dialogue is just too complex. the words are much deeper than the pictures on the page. *sigh*

The Duke
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
last read- "Rock To The Top - What I Learned About Success From The World's Greatest Rock Stars "

currently reading "The Book of Lies" and "Hour Game"

I want to get Dungy's "Quiet Strength"

augustashark
10-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Reagan Diaries. I'm really enjoying this book. I think if read that people would see that this guy was alot more then what you saw or read about in the media. I recommend it to anyone who likes politics and wants to get into the head of those who have served at the very top.

steelpinstripe72
10-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I want to get Dungy's "Quiet Strength"

That is a great book.

The only book I'm really reading right now (by choice, at any rate - I'm a grad student) is the Bible. I guess that's for a class, too, since I'm taking a Bible class in the English dept this semester, but it's the only book I'm actually putting energy into.

Vis
10-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I am now reading the script for Inglorious Bastards

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Started Patriotic Grace-What It Is and Why We Need It Now by Peggy Noonan.

Just finished Terry Brooks The Gypsy Morph

GutterflowerSteel
10-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Life on Planet Rock ~ Lonn Friend
(former editor of RIP magazine)

and

The History of Britain Volume I ~ Simon Schama

Polamalu Princess
10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I read everything and anything. One of my great loves is anything written by Ted Bell.

Polamalu Princess
10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Reagan Diaries. I'm really enjoying this book. I think if read that people would see that this guy was alot more then what you saw or read about in the media. I recommend it to anyone who likes politics and wants to get into the head of those who have served at the very top.

Have you ever read his Greatest Speeches? If not, you may want to consider reading it too, as it is well worth your time.

Polamalu Princess
10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm going to crack open Glenn Becks "An Inconvenient Book" here shortly. I received it last year for Christmas (autographed copy) and put it up while the wife and I continue to organize our house.

Since we believe we'll be moving soon (the joys of working for Uncle Sam) we figured it was best to get rid of stuff that hasn't been touched the last two moves.

I LOVE to read - I have not read this book, but have it. I am a Glenn fan and have read most of what he has written - i even get Fussion!

NJarhead
10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Anything true about history.., especially American history. Lately, WWII stuff (Flyboys, Flags of our Fathers, Band of Brothers, D-Day.., pretty much everything by Stephen Ambrose and Patton). Getting ready to read "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and "The Secret History of WWII."

Oh yeah, and a few mandatory college books..., fun stuff.:chuckle:

stlrtruck
10-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Right now I'm reading "Bait of Satan" by John Bevere.

I've also got a few books I'm going to start:
Keep It Simple by Terry Bradshaw
It's Just a Game by Terry Bradshaw
My Life Under the Helmet by Jerome Bettis (I believe that was the name of it)
My Life in the NFL by Dan Rooney (not sure on the name of the book)

SCSTILLER
10-16-2008, 08:48 AM
i just picked up the essential and authoritive calving and hobbes in hardback so i am re-reading those for the umpteenth time. .

Ahhh man, I didn't know they came out in hardback editions. Now I know what I want Santa to bring me for Christmas.

I am just cracking open Ted Nugents book "Ted, White, and Blue," really looking forward to reading this one.

Just got done reading a WW2 book by Bill Mauldin called "Up Front." It is a great book about his experiences as an author for the Stars and Stripes during WW2, plus it has all his cartoons of Willie and Joe in the book. Great read if you are a history buff.

Mosca
10-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Anything true about history.., especially American history. Lately, WWII stuff (Flyboys, Flags of our Fathers, Band of Brothers, D-Day.., pretty much everything by Stephen Ambrose and Patton). Getting ready to read "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and "The Secret History of WWII."

Oh yeah, and a few mandatory college books..., fun stuff.:chuckle:

Dude, WW2 is a passion of mine. I cannot recommend strongly enough The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour, about Task Force 3 ("Taffy 3") in the Battle of the Phillipine Sea, by James D Hornfischer. If you loved Band of Brothers, this is right up your alley. I started it, read through the night and called off work the next day to finish it.

Almost as good, by the same author, is Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of her Survivors. the Houston was sunk early in the war, during the Battle of the Java Sea; most of the survivors wound up in forced labor working on the Burma/Thailand Railway (Bridge on the River Kwai}.

I read this stuff like other people eat and drink and watch the Steelers. Tin Can Sailors is great, every bit as good as the best Ambrose, and honestly anything by Hornfischer is pretty good; he wrote BOTH Right Thinking : Conservative Common Sense Through the Ages AND "Hate Is Not a Family Value": A Quote Book for Liberals in a Right-Wing World!

Leftoverhard
10-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I've been reading GOTHAM: A History Of New York City to 1898 - little by little for over a year. It's rediculous, about 1400 pages but intensely awesome, especially as a reference book to the hoardes of History books I read.
I'm about to dig into Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" and then "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk.

GBMelBlount
10-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Psycho-Cybernetics - Dr. Maltz

vasteeler
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
look me in the eyes by John Robinson
I have a three year old that was recently diagnosed with autism and I am tring to learn as much as possible, Extremly funny book though

Leftoverhard
10-22-2008, 12:16 PM
look me in the eyes by John Robinson
I have a three year old that was recently diagnosed with autism and I am tring to learn as much as possible, Extremly funny book though

I just read that book a couple months ago, pretty good! I have personal experience with autism and know how difficult it can be - even just to understand. The good thing is that awareness has really grown in the past 10 years making it so much easier for parents to get help.

Polamalu Princess
10-22-2008, 09:30 PM
:coffee:Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I have read it several times as well as her other books and works. Other than the issue of her being an atheist, I agree with her about most things.

revefsreleets
10-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Interesting Philosophy in Objectivism. It has it's strong and weak points.

Rand is a good read, but definitely not for the casual reader...I think that The Fountainhead is the longest work of fiction ever published originally written in English.

Polamalu Princess
10-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Interesting Philosophy in Objectivism. It has it's strong and weak points.

Rand is a good read, but definitely not for the casual reader...I think that The Fountainhead is the longest work of fiction ever published originally written in English.

I love the Fountainhead as well. I think there is going to be a movie "Atlas Shrugged" in a year or so. I will be curious to see the Hollywood spin on the book.

xfl2001fan
10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
I LOVE to read - I have not read this book, but have it. I am a Glenn fan and have read most of what he has written - i even get Fussion!

Yeah, my mom tuned me into Glenn. During my last deployment, she went to a couple of his Support the Troops rally's. I occasionally tune into his talk radio during the day, but I don't have a "window office" so reception sucks if the sun isn't shining at the right angle. LOL

I think my wife is planning on getting me some of his other works. Lately, because work has been so hectic, I've been going with the "fantasy" realm "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind.

His books pack a lot of action...but the underlying themes really come out well. My favorite parts of his books are the "Wizard Rules".

#1: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it’s true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

#2: "The Second Rule is that the greatest harm can result from the best intentions."

#3: "Passion rules reason."

#4: "There was magic in sincere forgiveness, in the Fourth Rule. Magic to heal. In forgiveness you grant, and more so in the forgiveness you receive."

#5: "Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

#6: "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."

#7: "Life is the future, not the past"

#8: “Deserve Victory.”

#9: “A contradiction can not exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole.”

Even if you're not into the fantasy genre, there are a lot of his beliefs that come out as great real life lessons.

His personal philosophy (and how he explains it) has helped me reshape how I think things through as well.

http://www.terrygoodkind.com/the_author/philosophy.html

This of course, ties in with Rand. Someone I have intended to read up on (eventually.) LOL Having 5 kids (and one on the way) does get in the way of reading time. It's far easier to stop reading a post in Steelers Fever and come back to it than it is to put down a good book.

Polamalu Princess
10-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah, my mom tuned me into Glenn. During my last deployment, she went to a couple of his Support the Troops rally's. I occasionally tune into his talk radio during the day, but I don't have a "window office" so reception sucks if the sun isn't shining at the right angle. LOL

I think my wife is planning on getting me some of his other works. Lately, because work has been so hectic, I've been going with the "fantasy" realm "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind.

His books pack a lot of action...but the underlying themes really come out well. My favorite parts of his books are the "Wizard Rules".

#1: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it’s true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

#2: "The Second Rule is that the greatest harm can result from the best intentions."

#3: "Passion rules reason."

#4: "There was magic in sincere forgiveness, in the Fourth Rule. Magic to heal. In forgiveness you grant, and more so in the forgiveness you receive."

#5: "Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

#6: "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."

#7: "Life is the future, not the past"

#8: “Deserve Victory.”

#9: “A contradiction can not exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole.”

Even if you're not into the fantasy genre, there are a lot of his beliefs that come out as great real life lessons.

His personal philosophy (and how he explains it) has helped me reshape how I think things through as well.

http://www.terrygoodkind.com/the_author/philosophy.html

This of course, ties in with Rand. Someone I have intended to read up on (eventually.) LOL Having 5 kids (and one on the way) does get in the way of reading time. It's far easier to stop reading a post in Steelers Fever and come back to it than it is to put down a good book.

Hey - thank you for the new author information. I bet I would enjoy reading his work. :coffee: I will have to pick up a book to read.

nojobny
10-24-2008, 01:12 AM
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore.

Awesome. It made me laugh out loud onthe subway more than once. After a while I didn't care. He's got a bunch of other books I"m going to check out.

Also recently read Wicked which is what the B'way play is based on. Another good read.

Just picked up two new books. "How Starbucks Saved my Life" Saw a TV interview with the guy, looked interesting. Also got the Secret Life of Bees.

Two more I just thought of that were good:

The Lovely Bones & The Diving Bell & Butterfly

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/33330000/33339099.JPG
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/13770000/13771795.JPG
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/19310000/19316009.JPG
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/27470000/27475047.JPG
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/15180000/15187947.JPG
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/13690000/13696881.JPG

nojobny
10-24-2008, 01:16 AM
i just picked up the essential and authoritive calving and hobbes in hardback so i am re-reading those for the umpteenth time.

I have had that on my Christmas list for years and no one has gotten it for me. I also wanted the complete Far Side as well.

Oh well, here's hoping this will be my year.

xfl2001fan
10-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Hey - thank you for the new author information. I bet I would enjoy reading his work. :coffee: I will have to pick up a book to read.

No problem. The Sword or Truth series is an 11 Book set, but each book can be read independently. While most of the characters cross over from book to book, the underlying theme of each book is pretty much it's own story...with each Wizard Rule guiding it.

You can find his works in nearly any bookstore, library, etc... in the Fantasy section. The names of the books are not the rules mentioned. But the link I posted is to his website and shows the cover art from each of his books. I'll be looking at Rand's collection in the near future (I hope).

GBMelBlount
10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I'll be looking at Rand's collection in the near future (I hope).

She is definitely my favorite author xfl. I first read "Atlas Shrugged", perhaps my all time favorite book, over 20 years ago.