PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Week.

Dino 6 Rings
10-14-2008, 12:00 PM
This is a must win game for the Steelers.

Here are my reasons.

1st. Divisional Game. Obviously. But more than that, it is also a Conference game which is very meaningful for tiebreaker situations.

2nd. Its a Road game that we "should" win. Last year, we lost THREE of these games. Lost at the Jets, lost at the Cardinals, lost at the Broncos. Great teams win the games they should on the road.

3rd. Its the running game stupid. This week should provide a good bounce to our running attack, going against the Bengals who average allowing 156.8 yards a game on the ground ranked 28th. If ever we were going to pound the ball and give our guys up front the chance to dominate, this is the game.

4th. TJ Housh wiped his shoes with a terrible towel. Does anyone else remember? I do, always will. It is our obligation as a STEELERS NATION to want to destroy the Bengals at every single chance we get. This is another opportunity to wipe the field with their sorry butts.

5th. They are desperate. A team backed into a corner the way the Bengals are backed up can be dangerous. They will attempt to use this game, against their "rival" to turn around their season. We Must Not Allow That To Happen. Bottom line. We need to punish them from the first play to the last to ensure they don't have any hopes of winning and they are hanging their heads by halftime regretting the moment they were ever signed as Bengals.

6th. No Let Downs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I always liked Earl Woods advice to his son Eldrick.

"when you have somebody down, the way to keep them down, is to step on their neck and not let them up"

Time to step on the Bengals neck and keep 'em down. No looking past a division opponent.

DACEB
10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
They might want to dress Palmer just in case. I have a feeling Fitz won't last the whole game. I want to see a T.O.P. of at least 38min. Ground and Pound!!

hizmi
10-14-2008, 12:26 PM

Here are my reasons.

1st. Divisional Game. Obviously. But more than that, it is also a Conference game which is very meaningful for tiebreaker situations.

2nd. Its a Road game that we "should" win. Last year, we lost THREE of these games. Lost at the Jets, lost at the Cardinals, lost at the Broncos. Great teams win the games they should on the road.

3rd. Its the running game stupid. This week should provide a good bounce to our running attack, going against the Bengals who average allowing 156.8 yards a game on the ground ranked 28th. If ever we were going to pound the ball and give our guys up front the chance to dominate, this is the game.

4th. TJ Housh wiped his shoes with a terrible towel. Does anyone else remember? I do, always will. It is our obligation as a STEELERS NATION to want to destroy the Bengals at every single chance we get. This is another opportunity to wipe the field with their sorry butts.

5th. They are desperate. A team backed into a corner the way the Bengals are backed up can be dangerous. They will attempt to use this game, against their "rival" to turn around their season. We Must Not Allow That To Happen. Bottom line. We need to punish them from the first play to the last to ensure they don't have any hopes of winning and they are hanging their heads by halftime regretting the moment they were ever signed as Bengals.

6th. No Let Downs.

This is nowhere near a must-win game, since at worst we'll maintain a 1.5 game lead in the division. Suffice to say, If we do lose (and I think there's a decent chance we do...the Bengals have played the Browns, Cowboys, Jets, and Giants tough with 3 of those games on the road) this board will be in full meltdown mode, and we'll suddenly go from super bowl contenders to first-pick-in-the-draft contenders.

Let's just hope we stomp them at their place AGAIN. :tt02:

19ward86
10-14-2008, 12:27 PM
This game is huge because im going, lol.

But seriously we must win to keep a big lead on the division so at the end of the season we arent one bit skepticle about going to the playoffs.

Dino 6 Rings
10-14-2008, 12:30 PM
IT IS A MUST WIN!

We can NOT lose on the Road to an inferior team and consider ourselves great. Great teams win these games. I want a Win, We must have it.

I'll go into meltdown...wiping his shoes with our towel. Forever shall we be motivated to destroy these fools because of that one incident.

fansince'76
10-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Suffice to say, If we do lose this board will be in full meltdown mode, and we'll suddenly go from super bowl contenders to first-pick-in-the-draft contenders.

Tell me about it. Fire Tomlin, fire Arians, bench Ben, Willie sucks, etc., etc.

Dino 6 Rings
10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Its a very important game. That's what's true. It isn't a "gimmie" by any means and we as fans should show some concern and not think its going to be easy. If we can get a good early jump and get up by 14 points early, we should be able to pin our ears back on defense and attack the Bengals on their side of the line of scrimmage.

The Bengals have talent, they just don't have a "winning attitude" right now. God forbid we give it to them.

hizmi
10-14-2008, 12:36 PM

Nah I was going to say that regardless :wink02:

hizmi
10-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Its a very important game. That's what's true. It isn't a "gimmie" by any means and we as fans should show some concern and not think its going to be easy. If we can get a good early jump and get up by 14 points early, we should be able to pin our ears back on defense and attack the Bengals on their side of the line of scrimmage.

The Bengals have talent, they just don't have a "winning attitude" right now. God forbid we give it to them.

Yea that's definitely the storyline for me. Nobody gave the dolphins a chance against the pats, nobody gave the skins a chance against dallas, nobody gave the rams a chance against the skins, and nobody gave the brownies a chance last night.

I think our defense should be fine. They have no running game to speak of, and we should be able to pressure Fitz. My only concern is his mobility, and the possibility of him making some big plays while scrambling outside the pocket.

I am a bit concerned about our offense. I know everyone wants to go into this game with a smash-mouth ram-it-down-their-throat mentality, but our offense has been at its best in an up-tempo no-huddle setting. I'd rather see us come out in shot-gun and hurry-up, attack their secondary and get a quick lead.

Last year against inferior opponents on the road we started out too conservatively, thinking we could just run the ball at will. That may be the "steeler way" but it's not the strength of this particular team. The second half of the ravens game and most of the jax game is pretty good evidence for that.

memphissteelergirl
10-14-2008, 01:15 PM
EVERY game is a must-win game! If you are a smart, discliplined and well-coached team you never look past ANY opponent, no matter how dismal their record is (see NY Giants).

As this is a division rival, it's that much more significant. And I agree, any time you can beat them in their own house, that much better. And I'm with Dino....Douchemanzada's TT incident STILL gets my blood boiling. :mad:

:tt02::tt02:

MACH1
10-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Yup.... It could make for a long week.

Its still a must win, its a division game and if we win the grip on the division title is that much tighter.

Kvnfaber
10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Yea that's definitely the storyline for me. Nobody gave the dolphins a chance against the pats, nobody gave the skins a chance against dallas, nobody gave the rams a chance against the skins, and nobody gave the brownies a chance last night.

I think our defense should be fine. They have no running game to speak of, and we should be able to pressure Fitz. My only concern is his mobility, and the possibility of him making some big plays while scrambling outside the pocket.

I am a bit concerned about our offense. I know everyone wants to go into this game with a smash-mouth ram-it-down-their-throat mentality, but our offense has been at its best in an up-tempo no-huddle setting. I'd rather see us come out in shot-gun and hurry-up, attack their secondary and get a quick lead.

Last year against inferior opponents on the road we started out too conservatively, thinking we could just run the ball at will. That may be the "steeler way" but it's not the strength of this particular team. The second half of the ravens game and most of the jax game is pretty good evidence for that.

I do agree with most of your post.

However, the Bengals run defense is nowhere near the caliber of these two teams, so even if it is not our strength, we should try to pound the ball and control possession anyway. This will make play action much more effective and give Ben more time to throw (if they key on the run).

TailgateMel
10-14-2008, 03:34 PM
IMHO

It is a must-win in that if we lose, it would really be a major blow to the teams confidence.

They need to be on an up-swing going into the Giants-Redkins-Colts-Chargers run

:tt::tt:

Mel

The_WARDen
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Ben is undefeated in Ohio and it ain't changin this weekend!

RoethlisBURGHer
10-14-2008, 04:39 PM
IMHO

It is a must-win in that if we lose, it would really be a major blow to the teams confidence.

They need to be on an up-swing going into the Giants-Redkins-Colts-Chargers run

:tt::tt:

Mel

Not to mention EVER GAME IN THE AFC IS MUST WIN.

The first tiebreaker after head-to-head is conference record. If we go undefeated in our conference, then we win that tiebreaker for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd seed in the AFC Playoffs.

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Very much a trap game for the Steelers, but the only way i see us losing is if we shoot ourselves in the foot will stupid turnovers, ect..

We need to stick to our game plan, establish a run game(hopefully FWP is back), work the TE's and play action, and most importantly Play smash mouth football on defense.

There desperate with a back-up QB which could mean anything, trick plays, flea flickers, onside kicks we all have to be ready for these plays.

revefsreleets
10-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Must-win because we risk the "Last year" factor where we just phoned in road games against really shitty teams. That HAS to stop, and this Sunday is hopefully when the worm turns.

I'd go even farther and say not only must we win, we must look good doing it. We haven't really beaten anybody up since Houston, and they barely count...we need a good all-around performance to spring-board us into the meat of the schedule.

Hapa
10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I hate the Bengals players. I don't hate the franchise itself, because the Steelers get so many wins from them :sofunny:
But the players piss me off

FightingIrishman
10-14-2008, 07:45 PM
No Palmer=Beatdown!!!!!!!!!! We can't look past this game because it's a division game...but we should be able to get adequate pressure on the back-up quaterback and end those fans crying. I wish I was going to the game because I live in Cincy....but I will be cheering them on in Hamilton!

stillers4me
10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I can tell you from first hand experience that Bengals fans aren't any fun to play with this year! They won't wear their jerseys to work and they take their toys and go home mad!

Stlrs4Life
10-14-2008, 08:13 PM

Here are my reasons.

6th. No Let Downs.

"Ditto" To all of the above. Trap game.

Steelman16
10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I can tell you from first hand experience that Bengals fans aren't any fun to play with this year! They won't wear their jerseys to work and they take their toys and go home mad!

:toofunny:

I sorry.

(not really... :tt02: )

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Yeah, without Palmer and a sketchy running game, I dont expect much from the Bengals O. Their run D doesnt seem to have improved much either.

I am hoping that its a blowout and we get to see some guys like Leftwich, Sweed, Russell.....maybe even Bruce Davis, get some playing time and experience.

tony hipchest
10-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, without Palmer and a sketchy running game, I dont expect much from the Bengals O. Their run D doesnt seem to have improved much either.

I am hoping that its a blowout and we get to see some guys like Leftwich, Sweed, Russell.....maybe even Bruce Davis, get some playing time and experience.

will sweed even dress?

at this point i'd rather shelf baker and take that "chance". :noidea:

The Duke
10-15-2008, 12:15 AM
will sweed even dress?

at this point i'd rather shelf baker and take that "chance". :noidea:

baker's injured. he was already ruled out I think

if all goes well he can make his first catches from leftwich in garbage time. hope it happens :tt02:

Galax Steeler
10-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Hopefully we can beat the bungholes we can't take them lightley we need to play some hard nose football and get a victory.

Edman
10-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Bengal fans are jumping ship and giving away their tickets. Steeler Nation is snatching them up.

This sounds too good to be true, and that's why this game scares me a little.

Steely McSmash
10-15-2008, 12:49 PM
If I recall correctly last year on defence we kind of sat back in Nickel and Dime packages and let Carson try to beat us vs minimal pass rush which was effective if a little boring. This year the base pass rush should be better.

If we ask Fitzy to beat us in the air, maybe a good chance to get some INT's

I think we should be able to pound it in this game even with Russell and Dookie if Willie's not 100%. If we're up a few TD in the game why not let those "tough yardage" backs in there.

They're starting Starks over Essex for Marvel maybe if he's to spasmy to start. Perhaps another indication of a run-heavy day. Starks and Kemo on the left side together should be a good road grading team. Maybe we'll see some good action out of McHugh at FB as well.

Dino 6 Rings
10-15-2008, 12:52 PM
We need to just establish the line of scrimmage first and foremost. These fools played the Giants tough and the Cowboys tough. We need to be sure that we don't take them for granted. If we can get out to a 14 point lead by halftime, I like our chances of slowing things down in the 2nd half and eating clock to get home with a win. I don't want this to be one of those, Bengals up 10 at halftime games that we have to then manage to come back from. I hate those games. Give me a nice big lead, and a dominating performance by our defense. That way, we gobble up any hope they may have of getting their first win this week.

SteelMember
10-15-2008, 03:52 PM
We need to just establish the line of scrimmage first and foremost. These fools played the Giants tough and the Cowboys tough. We need to be sure that we don't take them for granted. If we can get out to a 14 point lead by halftime, I like our chances of slowing things down in the 2nd half and eating clock to get home with a win. I don't want this to be one of those, Bengals up 10 at halftime games that we have to then manage to come back from. I hate those games. Give me a nice big lead, and a dominating performance by our defense. That way, we gobble up any hope they may have of getting their first win this week.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, It's one of the few afternoon kickoffs. I'd like to be in a good mood for the rest of the day. :chuckle:

lilyoder6
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
well clayton said on nfl live today that willie parker re aggrevated his knee and did not pratice

HometownGal
10-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Though I believe a banged up Steelers team still has the talent and capabilities of beating down a healthy Bungles team (even though the Bungles won't be healthy on Sunday), a cat backed into a corner will always bear its claws. It's up to the Steelers to de-claw this wounded animal and send it back limping to its litter box.

Texasteel
10-15-2008, 07:38 PM
The bad thing about the Bengals is they are to dumb to know how bad they are.
I would not take them lightly, the cowboys did and it almost bit them in the ass.

memphissteelergirl
10-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Though I believe a banged up Steelers team still has the talent and capabilities of beating down a healthy Bungles team (even though the Bungles won't be healthy on Sunday), a cat backed into a corner will always bear its claws. It's up to the Steelers to de-claw this wounded animal and send it back limping to its litter box.

Nice analogy! :applaudit::chuckle: