View Full Version : Tomlin & Ward Puzzled

Crushzilla
10-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Has this not been posted?

Ward puzzled by pair of fines
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hines Ward is one of the best blocking wide receivers in the NFL and has long been lauded for his toughness.

The NFL, however, has blurred the line between aggressive and unacceptable play for the 11th-year veteran.

Ward said Monday he is seeking answers after being fined a total of $15,000 for unnecessary roughness in each of the past two Steelers' games.

The league fined Ward for separate incidents even though he wasn't penalized for either one.

"I don't understand, if you don't get flagged for it, then how can they fine you? I still thought this game was football," Ward said. "Obviously I need to have a better understanding of what it is I'm doing that keeps getting me fined."

Ward plans to appeal the fines. He said the NFL specified why it fined him after the Steelers' 23-20 win over the Ravens on Sept. 29. He said he was not told why he received another fine following the Steelers' 26-21 win over the Jaguars on Oct. 5.

"I jumped over a guy's head (in the Ravens game), he fell and my momentum carried me, and I jumped over his head and the back of my butt hit his head," Ward said. "Jacksonville, I just walked into my locker (Monday) and had a $10,000 fine."

Ward is one of three Steelers players who incurred a fine from the Jaguars game. Outside linebacker James Harrison was docked $20,000 for making what the NFL called inappropriate comments about the officiating.

Ward, long considered one of the best downfield blockers in the NFL, said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has warned him that the league is keeping an eye on him.

The four-time Pro Bowler said he wants to make sure he isn't being unfairly targeted.

"If anything, I want to see what they're fining (other players) for personal fouls against me," Ward said. "It would be kind of weird that I get fined and some of those players aren't getting fined. If I'm the only one getting fined and other players aren't getting fined, that brings up a huge question for me."

Ward and the Steelers, who are coming off a bye week, returned to practice yesterday for the first time since last Wednesday.

Among those who practiced were running back Willie Parker and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Parker has missed the past two games with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee.

"I felt good out there," Parker said. "I'm ready to play so I can help the team out the best I can Sunday."

Barring a setback, Parker is expected to return Sunday when the Steelers play the winless Bengals in Cincinnati.

The trip will represent another return to his native state for Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger has won 32 of the 34 games he has started at quarterback in Ohio dating to high school. It looks like he will be close to full strength when he tries to continue his dominance in his home state.

Roethlisberger has been bothered by a sprained joint in his right shoulder.

"It feels good," he said of his shoulder. "It's not 100 percent, but it's getting close."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_593148.html

fansince'76
10-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Ward said Monday he is seeking answers after being fined a total of $15,000 for unnecessary roughness in each of the past two Steelers' games.

Answer: Goodell's a douchebag. :coffee:

MACH1
10-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Crushzilla
10-14-2008, 02:03 PM

I'm at a loss.

Bottom line: Goodell is taking football in another direction.

It's entertainment now. Good wholesome family entertainment.

No gangbangers, no injuries, no excessive hitting (a.k.a. violence), lots of national coverage, lots of money, lots of bullshit.

Its about jersey sales, exposure, Tom Brady, Giselle, Tony Romo, Jessica Simpson, and 54-51 scores.

Give the people what they "want!"

The sooner you get that through your head, Gary, the sooner we can move on! :chuckle:

fansince'76
10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Bottom line: Goodell is taking football in another direction.

It's entertainment now. Good wholesome family entertainment.

....no excessive hitting (a.k.a. violence)....

Except when it comes to Ben, then it's anything goes. :coffee:

Crushzilla
10-14-2008, 02:09 PM

"Dude's huge... he can take it..."

I agree, the contradictions will apparently always be there. I'm not entirely sure what the justification there is. I guess since the guy's the second coming of Evel Knievel (intended as he is tough as shit & survived that crash to play another day) he is put into a "special" anything goes category.

DACEB
10-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Not to sound like a little beach, but...
I'm really starting to wonder if all that BS with Specter set off a bias toward the Steelers. I don't know how anyone can watch these games and say that there isn't a double standard at work here.

Sucks, but what can you do....win anyways.

Crushzilla
10-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Not to sound like a little beach, but...
I'm really starting to wonder if all that BS with Specter set off a bias toward the Steelers. I don't know how anyone can watch these games and say that there isn't a double standard at work here.

Sucks, but what can you do....win anyways.

I dunno.

I've always seen Specter as being aligned with the western half of the state (a.k.a the Eagles).

If you REALLY want to build a conspiracy, let's go with Goodell being upset at the Rooneys for not settling their ownership dispute and conforming to league regulations that claim the other brothers have a conflict of interest (owning gambling institutions and a football team).

EDIT: Of course by western I mean eastern... geography... hmmm

SteelMember
10-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Goodell. you are a fargin' icehole.

Steelers absorb another fine from Jacksonville game
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers weren't the only ones to benefit by their victory in Jacksonville Oct. 5; so too did NFL charities.
That's where player fines go and four Steelers contributed $45,000 to charity from their actions and words in that game.

The latest fine to surface today: Wide receiver Nate Washington was fined $7,500 for taunting, which was penalized during the game as well.

That's added to the $10,000 fine Hines Ward received for unnecessary roughness, $7,500 on safety Ryan Clark for unnecessary roughness in what was described as a late hit, and a $20,000 fine on linebacker James Harrison for comments after the game questioning referee Brian Winter's intent for calling a roughing the passer penalty on him.

Ward also was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness in the game against Baltimore.

Ward has questioned the calls and Steelers chairman Dan Rooney wrote a letter to the league to protest. Today, coach Mike Tomlin said he wants the league to clarify why it fined Ward in Jacksonville.

"I join him in being bewildered on the second one," Tomlin said. "That's how this guy has played football for a long time now. Neither one of the instances were penalties. Don't get me wrong, I understand what the league is trying to do from a safety standpoint and I am for that. We've got to be competitive, we've got to be professional and put a good product out there for our fans. But, boy, it's starting to cost too much money to come to work for these guys. We've got to get a little clarity in regards to that and I think that's something we're working on as a league."
Tomlin said he plans to call the league about it this week.

A league spokesman clarified Ward's fine thusly:
"Specifically, on a run play, he unnecessarily struck the opponent in the head area, violating Rule 12, Section 2, Article 1(c) of the NFL Official Playing Rules: 'striking, swinging, or clubbing to the head, neck or face with the heel, back, or side of the hand, wrist, forearm, elbow or clasped hands.'
"In the league's letter to Ward, it was noted that he was fined in 2007 for a late hit and additionally in 2008 for a late hit -- and that further offenses will result in an escalation of fines."

First published on October 14, 2008 at 3:06 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08288/919846-66.stm

scsteeler
10-14-2008, 02:38 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew what do they do with all this money from fines collected. In other words who or what entity benefits from the monies collected?

Just curious if anyone knew!!!!!!!!

SteelMember
10-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew what do they do with all this money from fines collected. In other words who or what entity benefits from the monies collected?

Just curious if anyone knew!!!!!!!!

Ahhh,

The Steelers weren't the only ones to benefit by their victory in Jacksonville Oct. 5; so too did NFL charities.
That's where player fines go and four Steelers contributed $45,000 to charity from their actions and words in that game.
I'm not sure which. There are a few.
http://www.jointheteam.com/programs/programs.asp?c=6

SteelersNC
10-14-2008, 03:26 PM

I agree, Ben gets killed every game on late hits and just because he doesnt cry, the refs dont calll anything.

Steel_Bus_24
10-14-2008, 03:36 PM
This is FFFing BullS***................where the hell was the freaking fine on that ass Rodgers for his obvious late hit to Ben a couple a weeks ago??

Wheres the demotion to those refs for not resetting the play clock on that 2 pt conversion???

Double Standard much???

Screw you Goodell...you Bob Kraft loving douchebag

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Now taunting, this is UN called for Goodell there is nothing to say to you, but grow some balls its FOOTBALL!

msafford
10-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Folks....we better cool it in here or we'll get fined for simply being Steelers fans and disputing the league's decisions.

:flipoff: to you Goodell.

Crushzilla
10-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Folks....we better cool it in here or we'll get fined for simply being Steelers fans and disputing the league's decisions.

:flipoff: to you Goodell.

Well for questioning the league office I'm going to have to suspend you from the board for a minimum of 4 weeks.

And for the blatant middle finger... I want the tuba.

msafford
10-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Well for questioning the league office I'm going to have to suspend you from the board for a minimum of 4 weeks.

And for the blatant middle finger... I want the tuba.

damn....got me. The tuba's yours. :chuckle:

SteelersMongol
10-14-2008, 08:10 PM
All I can say is it's really getting ridiculous. Mr. Gooddeal is up 2 something, folks.

Sharkissle29
10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
All I can say is it's really getting ridiculous. Mr. Gooddeal is up 2 something, folks.

he's pocketing all the fines!!

RunWillieRun
10-14-2008, 09:09 PM
he's pocketing all the fines!!

I'm pretty sure he's got a money pool in his back yard that is close to being finished but he needs a few more hundred thousand dollars to get it filled with cash for him to swim around in.

lilyoder6
10-14-2008, 09:16 PM
this is getting very stupid.. i mean honeslty 2 games in a row.. and not even telling ward the reason for the 2nd one...

and on rogers.. it looked like last night he had a late hit on eli.. on which eli got hurt on the play.. and he didn't get penalitzed for it even tho it shows him taking an extra step to hit him after the ball was gone

SteelCityMan786
10-14-2008, 09:18 PM

Is it too late to get Tagliabue back?

Steelman16
10-14-2008, 09:57 PM
This has got to be the stupidest stuff I've seen from Goodell yet - and that's saying something. He's a complete moron. :coffee:

Any fan with a half-decent brain in their head could run the league better than Goodell.

Common sense, Roger! Common sense!

What does common sense say? IT'S FOOTBALL! YOU GO OUT THERE ON THE FIELD AND ABSORB SOME HITS. OR BETTER YET, TAKE BEN'S PLACE FOR A WEEK. SEE HOW LONG YOU LAST YOU PIECE OF SCUM.

Ok, my tirade is over. Back to normal life. :coffee:

VegasStlrFan
10-14-2008, 10:36 PM
I didn't see the game w/ the Jags (opening weekend of hunting season), did they show any replays of Ward with a hard hit? I heard talk about crackback block on the radio, but it wasn't described as cheap.

Sure looks like Goodell is making up his own set of rules. Has Ward ever been fined before? Seems odd 10 years and no fines and now 2 weeks in a row.

steelergirl07
10-15-2008, 01:18 AM
It's surprising, the whole game I didn't hear one thing being said about Hines hits. All of a sudden he's getting fined. This is total BS!!

Galax Steeler
10-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Goodell really sucks this is bs.

jdsdaguy
10-15-2008, 04:45 AM
B][/B][B]IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!
the league is trying to take the steelers dominance away. some of these penelties or non- penalties are rediculous. now they want the steelers to not play so rough? "oh thats right" we play the pats this year. we play the cowboys this year. we play the giants this year. "wouldn't want anyone gettin hurt" who made the hit on romo that broke his pinkie? i wonder how much that will cost?
'
with half the team out with injury, they need to make sure the other half doesn't step up. the only way they can stop it is by threatning and fineing steelers players because we are one of the few teams that don't pay our players enough to afford these imposed fines. we are one of the few teams with enough heart to overcome the hand thats been dealt this year. as far as i'm concerned, we should be americas team. most cowboy fans r frontrunners and most pats fans are from the boston area. why can't they just let the best team win? this really pisses me off!!!!!

fansince'76
10-15-2008, 09:04 AM
....we are one of the few teams that don't pay our players enough to afford these imposed fines.

:rolleyes:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-16-2008, 01:40 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_593519.html

Flurry of fines irks Polamalu
Thursday, October 16, 2008

One of the most soft-spoken and quiet players in the Steelers' locker room had plenty to say Wednesday about the NFL's emphasis on player safety.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu said football "just loses so much of its essence when it becomes like a pansy game." He added that the NFL is trying to protect players from injuries because it is in the league's best interests to do so.

"It has more to do with money and not really with our safety," Polamalu said.

Polamalu's pointed comments came a few days after wide receiver Hines Ward learned he had received a second fine from the NFL for unnecessary roughness.

Neither play for which he was fined drew a penalty, and Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said he voiced his concerns about Ward's punishment to Roger Goodell in a letter he sent to the NFL commissioner.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he plans to call the NFL to find out why Ward was fined but not penalized for separate plays in the Steelers' past two games.

Ward is one of the most physical wide receivers in the NFL and has long been one of the game's best downfield blockers.

Polamalu said Ward's style is how the game is supposed to be played. He wondered if there would be a place in today's NFL for some of the icons who helped make the league as popular as it is.

"When you see guys like Dick Butkus, the Ronnie Lotts, the Jack Tatums, these guys really went after people," Polamalu said. "Now, they couldn't survive in this type of game. They wouldn't have enough money. They'd be paying fines all the time and they'd be suspended for a year after they do it two games in a row. It's kind of ridiculous."

Rooney said the league is justified in trying to eliminate senseless violence.

During NFL owners meetings, which concluded yesterday, the league showed a tape it had put together of cheap shots that were delivered during the course of games.

Rooney said that kind of play has no place in the NFL.

"They showed some hits -- the Steelers were not involved -- that were really gruesome hits," Rooney said. "Guys going out of their way to hit a quarterback on an interception, hitting the kicker coming down the field. I think those guys should be bounced right out of a game."

Rooney, however, conceded that he was as puzzled as Ward over the fines for unnecessary roughness the latter received from the Steelers' games against the Ravens and Jaguars.

Said Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson when asked about Ward's situation, "That doesn't make any sense at all. Hines has always been one of the better blockers in the NFL. I don't understand where you get unnecessary roughness from. That's not even a rule."

Ward said yesterday he does not expect the NFL to rescind or reduce the fines that total $15,000. He said he will be satisfied if his appeal of the fines simply yields answers for why the NFL docked him $5,000, and then $10,000.

"I'm going to continue giving all I got and play hard," Ward said, "and once I find out the justification of the fines, then I have to adjust my game accordingly."

The Duke
10-16-2008, 02:29 AM
I can see it already, troy will get fined for his words too....:doh:

Good for him, telling it like it is. The league is really becoming too soft. they should feel honored to still have players playing like hines.

Freakin Goodell. let them play football!!

Preacher
10-16-2008, 02:50 AM
nope...

That would be too blatant. He'll get fined for a phantom hit after next game.

Tagg67
10-17-2008, 07:18 AM
How can they fine Hines and they never even threw a flag on him during a the game? How come it took so long to find out that the New England Patriots were illegally video taping teams, which is probably why Kordell Stewart had such a bad two seaons and was eventually cut by the Steelers many years ago?

I think there are many other things to worry about than to find fault on a Future Hall of Fame player who gives 120% every game!

Let them play football! It's getting to the point that pretty soon the Quarterbacks will be the only ones that can talk on the field, and that's when they are calling plays...........

Tagg67

Havik
10-17-2008, 09:22 AM
It's BS that Ward is being fined for penalties that didn't even happen. The NFL has become a real joke since Goodell took over.

SteelMember
10-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Ward gets explanation

Hines Ward got his letter of explanation on why he was fined but was not penalized in the game against the Jaguars. League officials explained that he taunted Jacksonville cornerback Rashean Mathis by slapping him on the side of his helmet.

I'm pretty sure Hines and mathis aren't buddies, but I see this all the time after plays. Now, I don't recall the play, and it may be legit?, but are they going to be able to argue "intent" on all these or just fine everyone?

"Nice play." Slap on the helmet follows. The official writes him a ticket right there on the field.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08291/920647-66.stm

Dodt
10-17-2008, 10:40 AM
anybody think it would be in poor taste to start selling anti goodell shirts. such as fine this ! with troys statement on the back.

KeiselPower99
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Did anyone see Mark Schereths comments on espn about Troys stand on the fines??? It is great to see someone go against the NFL and say this is bs.

fansince'76
10-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Ward gets explanation

Hines Ward got his letter of explanation on why he was fined but was not penalized in the game against the Jaguars. League officials explained that he taunted Jacksonville cornerback Rashean Mathis by slapping him on the side of his helmet.

"We have a physical game, there's no question about that," Goodell said. "We think that's one of the attractions of the game … We just want to make it as safe as possible and balance the physical nature with rules that will hopefully prevent unnecessary hits and unnecessary injuries."

OK, so when is LT going to get fined for slapping Troy on the helmet at 0:59 of this commercial? Troy could've gotten a real nasty case of whiplash out of it! :rolleyes:

jlXRengzZoc

Goodell = JOKE. I used to think that Bud Selig was the worst commissioner in pro sports. Not anymore. :coffee:

MACH1
10-17-2008, 03:03 PM
First its head pats, next its butt slaps. :bs:

nicesteel4life
10-17-2008, 03:23 PM
that is a awesome commercial though, very well thought out