PDA

View Full Version : Sweed Playing this week.

Shoes
10-15-2008, 12:31 PM
I think its a great game to get him in the mix :tt:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08289/919910-66.stm

Carolina Steelers
10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I could see him getting at least 1 thrown his way on a 4 wide set if its catchable he better pull it in then well go from there but if he drops it or runs sloppy routes He might be done for the year when Baker gets back in there and is healthy this may be his only time to shine!!!

lilyoder6
10-15-2008, 12:45 PM
this is a great chance for sweed to make an impact... this game could decide if he will dress and actually play more in the future.. hopefully he has a good game

Preacher
10-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Darn, I was hoping Ward would be out this week.

Now, before anyone freaks out... If there were any game I would want Ward to sit out, it would be this one for two reasons.

1. It gives him a two week rest after 10 weeks of football (training camp and games) and lets him prep for 10 more weeks of football plus playoffs.

2. It's the Bengals. While I am not overlooking them, it IS the easiest game on the schedule. Therefore, if Ward gets a rest against anyone, and I hope he does, I would want it to be against the Bengals.

I know, he wont. I was just a'hoping.

tony hipchest
10-15-2008, 01:01 PM
:huh: but ward dont need rest. he just had a week off.

Preacher
10-15-2008, 01:07 PM
:huh: but ward dont need rest. he just had a week off.

two weeks does a body better than 1.

Tony... you must be younger than I thought. That is a young man's answer! :rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I thought Sweed had already been declared a bust by most on this board? :noidea: because unlike most 2nd round picks he hasnt "contributed" yet.

Preacher
10-15-2008, 01:19 PM
I thought Sweed had already been declared a bust by most on this board? :noidea: because unlike most 2nd round picks he hasnt "contributed" yet.

Naa, not most.. but a significant minority.

Mende is injury prone and will never amount to anything either.

(sarcasm smiley needed)

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Naa, not most.. but a significant minority.

Mende is injury prone and will never amount to anything either.

(sarcasm smiley needed)

:kick: :rolleyes:

STEELAMANIA
10-15-2008, 01:41 PM
YAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

For those who bashed me when I was saying how much he will make the offense click will see this Sunday, and the rest of the season.

Just too SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
:applaudit:

OneForTheToe
10-15-2008, 01:47 PM
here is the more important part of this article:

Left tackle Marvel Smith, who did not practice Monday, has back spasms, and Tomlin wants to see how he does in practice today. He said Max Starks would start if Smith cannot go.

"We feel like we're a better team from the injury standpoint," Tomlin said

So, Starks is still on the team. Also, a lot fans and media have been ripping on the FO for not offering Smith an extenstion. I like Marvel -he has been a true warrior for us - but the reality is that if he is still having back problems, he is not worth resigning.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2008, 01:55 PM
here is the more important part of this article:

So, Starks is still on the team. Also, a lot fans and media have been ripping on the FO for not offering Smith an extenstion. I like Marvel -he has been a true warrior for us - but the reality is that if he is still having back problems, he is not worth resigning.

E.B. from the Post Gazette touched on that yesterday. He said he had similar surgery and the spasams lasted for about a year with him. I dont think either Smith or Starks will be back next season, but dont see a lot of depth there that makes me feel good about 09.

Free agent and a rookie LT might be the only answer next season.

STEELAMANIA
10-15-2008, 02:03 PM
If Sweed had played in the Philly game, the Steelers would be undefeated right now.

fansince'76
10-15-2008, 02:04 PM
If Sweed had played in the Philly game, the Steelers would be undefeated right now.

Yep, he would've prevented those 9 sacks. :coffee:

OneForTheToe
10-15-2008, 02:06 PM
E.B. from the Post Gazette touched on that yesterday. He said he had similar surgery and the spasams lasted for about a year with him. I dont think either Smith or Starks will be back next season, but dont see a lot of depth there that makes me feel good about 09.

Free agent and a rookie LT might be the only answer next season.

I don't feel good about the line in 09 either, El-Gonzo Jackson. The point is the Smith would have been, and remains, a pretty big risk to sign to a long-term deal. While Kemo is unproven, and plays a less important position, I think we would be better off to try and sign (or franchise) him. We have found a LT in FA before who served us pretty well.

LOL at E.B - After his surgery, I wonder how many 300 pound lineman E.B. had to take on at the Post Gazette on a weekly basis.

STEELAMANIA
10-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Yep, he would've prevented those 9 sacks. :coffee:

All Ben wouldve had to do was lob the ball up for grabs right after the snap from center, and Sweed wouldve out jumped the SINGLE coverage that was on him.

STEELAMANIA
10-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Thats why Ben LOVES tall receivers.

fansince'76
10-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Yet another example as to why the prospect of a diehard fan taking controlling interest in this team scares me to death.

STEELAMANIA
10-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Why are you afraid O you of little faith? Watch Sweed Sunday and see why I'm right about Sweed.

STEELAMANIA
10-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Sweed is the hardest working wideout on the team.

SteelMember
10-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Darn, I was hoping Ward would be out this week.

Now, before anyone freaks out... If there were any game I would want Ward to sit out, it would be this one for two reasons.

1. It gives him a two week rest after 10 weeks of football (training camp and games) and lets him prep for 10 more weeks of football plus playoffs.

2. It's the Bengals. While I am not overlooking them, it IS the easiest game on the schedule. Therefore, if Ward gets a rest against anyone, and I hope he does, I would want it to be against the Bengals.

I know, he wont. I was just a'hoping.

You forgot to mention...

3. He had bills due this week and couldn't afford to be fined again. :chuckle: Thanks roger. :banging:

I hope Sweed has some catches and can contribute. or else. :rolleyes:

lilyoder6
10-15-2008, 03:23 PM
some of the players need to play this game to pay there fines.. lol.. lets go sweed!!!

Preacher
10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
You forgot to mention...

3. He had bills due this week and couldn't afford to be fined again. :chuckle: Thanks roger. :banging:

I hope Sweed has some catches and can contribute. or else. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

Forgot about that.

Preacher
10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
HEY...

FANSINCE....

Maybe we will see your favorite sign now!!!!!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/meraby/Picture1.gif

Makaveli
10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Glad to see Sweed will get the opportunity to play. Though i (like most) do not expect him to be an " impact player" immediatley, he has to be at least as effective as Washington is at this point.

Which at first glance isn't saying a great deal. But in reality it is because it's his (Sweed) first professional game. Here's to the prospect of a potential stud 3rd receiver.

PalmerSteel
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
great news. that means he has shown the coaching staff during this bye time a little of what they seen to draft him in the 2nd round. just hope he gets some playing time to get a couple thrown his way to see what we may have in the kid.

MACH1
10-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Lets see what "the starter in waiting" has.

HometownGal
10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm anxious to see how Sweed will fit into the offensive scheme and what better team for him to show us what he's got than playing against the Bungles' putrid D? :poop: I think this kid might just surprise the Doubting Dons around here.

Preacher
10-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm anxious to see how Sweed will fit into the offensive scheme and what better team for him to show us what he's got than playing against the Bungles' putrid D? :poop: I think this kid might just surprise the Doubting Dons around here.

Hey good to see ya!!

You know its funny.

I expect Sweed to be a rookie this year. Make a couple good catches, even maybe wow us with one or two.

I also expect him to run a couple wrong routes, cause an interception or two because of it, and drop a couple of balls.

Its all a part of being a rookie. He'll be a good player, in 2 or 3 years. Just like Santonio... just like Timmons is doing this year.

Then again, HTG is right, this is the Bungles. He may break out for 140 yards and 10 catches!

X-Terminator
10-15-2008, 05:13 PM

Oh well then I guess we should bench Hines and Santo and start Sweed, since works so, so hard. :screwy::ididwhat:

God, they will let ANYONE have a computer these days...

Hapa
10-15-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm excited. I'm sure he's really hungry for it because he was probably expecting to play when he got drafted.

Preacher
10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh well then I guess we should bench Hines and Santo and start Sweed, since works so, so hard. :screwy::ididwhat:

God, they will let ANYONE have a computer these days...

Hey!!

I've had a computer for quite a while!

:rofl:

steelpride12
10-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Good now everyone can shut up, let him go out and prove himself with the time he gets.

PalmerSteel
10-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Good now everyone can shut up, let him go out and prove himself with the time he gets.

lol, most wont shut up until he contributes, not just active. cant think of a better place to do it though than heinz field west! :tt02:

HometownGal
10-15-2008, 05:38 PM

A-FREAKIN'-MEN! :applaudit::applaudit:

The Duke
10-15-2008, 05:42 PM
One thing's certain- playing against the bungles defense and having a good game can be a very good confidence booster

maybe that's what he's missing, some confidence

who knows, all I really care is hines pushing around those sorry excuses for defenders :tt02:

kmsteelerwr15
10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm really excited to see what he can do. And if he's anything like Santonio than he will be on fire for the playoffs

St33lersguy
10-15-2008, 06:56 PM
:grin: Finally, what took so long to get him on the field. Hopefully he plays well enough to convince Tomlin to put butterfingers (Nate Washington) on the bench

The Duke
10-15-2008, 08:01 PM
:grin: Finally, what took so long to get him on the field. Hopefully he plays well enough to convince Tomlin to put butterfingers (Nate Washington) on the bench

lol, if anything he may pass baker on the depth chart

nate's doing fine, people have got to acknowledge that already

tyler289
10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
If we didn't have a fantastic #3 in Nate Washington and a decent #4 in Baker, Sweed would already be on the field (though, a 2nd-round pick should be able to snag the #5 reciever).

Hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity and makes a couple catches.

lilyoder6
10-15-2008, 08:33 PM
sweed is the number 5 wr on the roster.. but he is just not active...
nate has been playing pretty good here this season.. so y demote him?

PalmerSteel
10-15-2008, 08:53 PM
If we didn't have a fantastic #3 in Nate Washington and a decent #4 in Baker, Sweed would already be on the field (though, a 2nd-round pick should be able to snag the #5 reciever).

Hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity and makes a couple catches.

exactly. no matter if you got the best WR's in the nfl, a 2nd round draft pick should be at least a WR5, if not a 4 unless baker and washington have been playing out of their gord, like starter material for any other team, which they havent. so get your big boy pants on sweed, here's your chance to help a little bit and show us you were worth that 2nd round pick.

Steelman16
10-16-2008, 12:07 AM
exactly. no matter if you got the best WR's in the nfl, a 2nd round draft pick should be at least a WR5, if not a 4 unless baker and washington have been playing out of their gord, like starter material for any other team, which they havent. so get your big boy pants on sweed, here's your chance to help a little bit and show us you were worth that 2nd round pick.

Who says he has to be anything? I've seen 1st round picks worth about as much as my twice-used socks that "started". Sweed will be fine, even if he doesn't play the rest of the year.

Let the man play this week. If he stinks it up, I'm not gonna pull any hair over it. He's a rookie, with adjusting vision, and a year under his belt will help him tremendously.

I think he'll have 4 catches for 55 yards and a possible score if Ben has a field day.

KeiselPower99
10-16-2008, 12:31 AM
I wanna see him break a long one and force the coaches to play him every week. y

Galax Steeler
10-16-2008, 03:56 AM
Lets go Sweed this is your chance to make an impression.

SteelMember
10-16-2008, 07:18 AM

Sweed IS the 5th WR as lilyoder6 stated. I believe he has moved to 4th because of a Dallas Baker injury... Even so I hope he plays well.

stillers4me
10-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Just catch the ball and hold on to it, son.

Don't be the reason the Bungals win their one and only game this season. (ouch......did I just say that. Bad stillers, bad girl......)

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Sweed IS the 5th WR as lilyoder6 stated. I believe he has moved to 4th because of a Dallas Baker injury... Even so I hope he plays well.

I honestly think Sweed was the #4 WR, but because he doesnt play special teams and Baker seemed to have more of a grasp of the offense that it completely made sense for Baker to dress over Sweed.

Not much difference between your #4 and #5 WR's in terms of the playing time they will get, especially for a team that plays 3 TE's. I'm hoping Sweed has improved and gets a chance to show he can play on O or special teams.

STEELAMANIA
10-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Nate will lose his #3 spot to SWEED this Sunday. Nate is too darn inconsistent. He will play good one game and then won't be seen until 4 games later. Ben is going to love throwing to Sweed and the other receivers will like it too because it will cause more one on one matchups.

fansince'76
10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Nate will lose his #3 spot to SWEED this Sunday. Nate is too darn inconsistent. He will play good one game and then won't be seen until 4 games later. Ben is going to love throwing to Sweed and the other receivers will like it too because it will cause more one on one matchups.

Are you his uncle or something?

LVSteelersfan
10-16-2008, 12:23 PM
What's with the Nate Washington bashing? He has been doing fine this year. I think he has more big plays than Holmes does so far this year.

Dino 6 Rings
10-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Sweet!

I have been waiting to see this kid in a real game time situation. Hopefully he doesn't forget that in the pros, if you go down and no one touches you, you aren't down. Plaxico!

SteelMember
10-16-2008, 03:29 PM
I honestly think Sweed was the #4 WR, but because he doesnt play special teams and Baker seemed to have more of a grasp of the offense that it completely made sense for Baker to dress over Sweed.

Not much difference between your #4 and #5 WR's in terms of the playing time they will get, especially for a team that plays 3 TE's. I'm hoping Sweed has improved and gets a chance to show he can play on O or special teams.

Hey, quit nitpicking. 4...5...whatever it takes.:laughing:

SWEEEEEEEEEEEED is playing.

Hines0wnz
10-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Hopefully he catches more than he drops. :helmet:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey, quit nitpicking. 4...5...whatever it takes.:laughing:

SWEEEEEEEEEEEED is playing.

He is dressing. There is a difference between playing and dressing for a game. Like I said before, I hope we blow out the Bungles and Sweed gets some playing time.

Its not like Dallas Baker has got a lot of receptions this season as the #4 WR. Seems like the only way the #4 WR factors into the offense is in a blowout or special teams.

hizmi
10-16-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't know much about Sweed, and I'm not sure what to expect. Is he a big-play receiver? A speed merchant? Possession receiver? Which current WR would you compare him to?

Sharkissle29
10-16-2008, 07:13 PM
i think he'll be a better roy williams

hizmi
10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
i think he'll be a better roy williams

I'd take that :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
10-16-2008, 07:28 PM
well u rly can't judge roy williams career w/o taking into account he did play in detroit and they haven't had a qb in yrs... but i think that sweed will be a possesion wr, red zone threat with his height

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't know much about Sweed, and I'm not sure what to expect. Is he a big-play receiver? A speed merchant? Possession receiver? Which current WR would you compare him to?

Sweed is 6'4" and ran a 4.5- 40 yard dash. Caught 12TD's his junior season at Texas and then missed most of his senior season due to a wrist injury. He was the big play WR at Texas when Williams left, but isnt the same physical receiver that Williams is.

I think he will be more of a Vincent Jackson, Hank Baskett type player, but again not as strong as those guys, but really shows a knack for finding the ball in the air and out jumping defenders for it.

Crushzilla
10-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Sweed is 6'4" and ran a 4.5- 40 yard dash. Caught 12TD's his junior season at Texas and then missed most of his senior season due to a wrist injury. He was the big play WR at Texas when Williams left, but isnt the same physical receiver that Williams is.

I think he will be more of a Vincent Jackson, Hank Baskett type player, but again not as strong as those guys, but really shows a knack for finding the ball in the air and out jumping defenders for it.

When in doubt... call the draftnik! :drink:

hizmi
10-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Thank you sir :drink:

Makaveli
10-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Yeah,......but what about the degree of his ability after the catch ? And just how well does he get "separation",...or fail to do so more often than not ? (at least in college) :chuckle:

lilyoder6
10-16-2008, 09:30 PM
well in the red zone area.. if he's in the endzone don't rly care bout seperation... lol

also can't rly talk about his "seperation" speed.. b/c in college he was going against corners that barely make it to the nfl

SteelCityMan786
10-16-2008, 09:33 PM
I think its a great game to get him in the mix :tt:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08289/919910-66.stm

FINALLY, now he can tear the living crap out of Defenses.

Steely McSmash
10-16-2008, 09:41 PM

Way to establish your credibility:noidea:

Steely McSmash
10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Typically receivers are not servicable until their second year and not good until the third. I'm not surprised that he's behind Baker at this point.

As the 4th receiver, I think he'll be on the field for maybe 10 snaps. Perhaps even less if the running game is clicking and Gary Russell is eating the clock like Casey Hampton in a Donut shop.

Definitely a step up from being inactive though. Hopefully he shows some spark.

STEELAMANIA
10-17-2008, 03:02 PM
I am 100% sure that Sweed scores a td this Sunday. I started him on my fantasy team. Watch others add him to their teams after Sunday.

STEELAMANIA
10-17-2008, 03:05 PM
I got an INSIDER report that at practice yesterday Ben's eyes "light up" when he is throwing a pass to Sweed. Just more proof that Ben loves tall receivers.

MACH1
10-17-2008, 03:07 PM

That's why he's a starter. :doh:

STEELAMANIA
10-17-2008, 03:11 PM
That's why he's a starter. :doh:

Ummmm......He's the hardest working ROOKIE wideout on the team.
Believe me , if he wasn't a rookie playing behind 2 good veteran receivers, he would know the system and the playbook, routes, assignments, etc.....

Once he is out of the learning and thinking mode, Sweed is the BEST receiver on the team.

STEELAMANIA
10-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Even Tomlin knows Sweed is working very hard and has noticed in practice......by mid season he should start over Ward in my opinion.

Sharkissle29
10-17-2008, 03:17 PM
You have quite some high expectations for sweed, hope he lives up to what you think he'll be.

SteelMember
10-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Even Tomlin knows Sweed is working very hard and has noticed in practice......by mid season he should start over Ward in my opinion.

:doh:Wow.

MACH1
10-17-2008, 03:22 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You are truly delusional.

lilyoder6
10-17-2008, 04:35 PM
:huh:

how is sweed the best wr on our roster.. even by mid-season or w/e u said... somone is drinking texas kool-aid

PalmerSteel
10-17-2008, 05:51 PM

lol, dude that is some crazy expectations seeing how he hasnt even played ad own yet and we are already a third in to the season, but if your half right then that means sweed has CONRIBUTED like he SHOULD for a 2ND round pick, but starting is kinda of a nutty statement :drink:

Texasteel
10-17-2008, 06:05 PM

You went out and bought the good stuff didn't ya.

Steelman16
10-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Um, dude, over HALF the recievers in the entire league couldn't start over Ward, let alone our 5th stringer? :doh:

Seriously, logic is a beautiful thing. Don't ruin it.

randy06
10-18-2008, 02:48 AM
OVER WARD???!!! Wow he will be a solid 3rd wideout but not a number 1 or 2 guy yet

BritishSteel
10-18-2008, 08:33 AM

Remember - glue is for sticking things together........

Be interesting to see how he does, but come on, unwarranted pressure is the worst thing a rookie can suffer. Let him learn the game.

STEELAMANIA
10-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I love Ward and all, but as far as stretching the field goes, Sweed will cause more dbs to play far off by them respecting that he can go deep. That will actually help the passing game more.

STEELAMANIA
10-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Ward playing in the slot will really play to his strengths....going over the middle and making the tough catch.
Sweed's strengths are right there in the flats, one on one coverage.

Makaveli
10-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I love Ward and all, but as far as stretching the field goes, Sweed will cause more dbs to play far off by them respecting that he can go deep. That will actually help the passing game more.

From what i saw of Sweed in College he had somewhat limited "deep speed". But managed to do well getting open.(perhaps in large part because of collegiate "mismatches")

He also wasn't very effective in terms of ability after the catch.(speed) But in all fairness he had very sound hands and could be very useful in the redzone for us. Or perhaps even in terms of the 30 to 40 yard strikes for touchdowns.

But with that said,... the kids got a long way to go in terms of his overall game before i think anyone could compare him to Ward in my opinion.

fansince'76
10-18-2008, 11:59 AM

Only if Ward goes down with a season-ending injury. Otherwise there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

The Duke
10-18-2008, 12:03 PM
But with that said,... the kids got a long way to go in terms of his overall game before i think anyone could compare him to Ward in my opinion.

He has a long way before you can even compare him to guys like javon walker

He has potential, no doubt, but he has yet to prove anything in the NFL

I hope he becomes the best receiver in the history of the NFL, but at this point he is just another nobody receiver ( a 4th/5th receiver for that matter)

But hey, prove me wrong Limas :tt03: