View Full Version : Troy Criticizes Current State of the NFL

HometownGal
10-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself, Troy! :applaudit::applaudit:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08290/920304-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Polamalu criticizes current state of NFL

Thursday, October 16, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Troy Polamalu looks at the recent fines to Hines Ward for unnecessary roughness, the penalties to players who hit quarterbacks and wonders what those running the NFL are turning the sport into.

They're taking the physical nature of the game out of the game, Polamalu said.

"It loses so much of its essence, and it really becomes like a pansy game," the Steelers' Pro Bowl strong safety said.

"I think regarding the evolution of football, it's becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch. We've really lost the essence of what real American football is about. I think it's probably all about money. They're not really concerned about safety."

Polamalu said it's tough to know when you can even hit a quarterback anymore.

"You have to figure out how to tackle people a new way," he said. "There's such a fine line. I guess, hitting quarterbacks late and whether they're going to slide or come forward -- it's too much.

"If you look at any sport, maybe besides mixed martial arts, it's a real gladiator sport. We go out there at a high speed, killing each other."

Players from previous generations would not make it today, Polamalu said, not because of talent but because they were too physical.

"You see guys like Dick Butkus and those types of really raw, old-school, pound-it-out football players; they could never survive in a game like this today.

"The Ronnie Lotts, the Jack Tatums -- these guys who really went after people. They were that way because the game was physical. They couldn't survive in this type of game. They wouldn't have enough money because they'd be paying fines, and then they'd be suspended for a year after they did it two games in a row."

SCSTILLER
10-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Well put Troy! Now get ready to open up your wallet for the commish!

SteelMember
10-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Well, I guess we know where all the refs eyes will be this week.

stillers4me
10-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Well, I guess we know where all the refs eyes will be this week.

Yeah.....I have a feeling the Steelers are going to feeding the fund all season and everybody will be calling us "dirty" because we play a physical game the way it's meant to be played.

Now let's go do some Bengal hunting.................. :tt03:

Steel_Bus_24
10-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Troy FTW!!!:tt02:

Gooddell is a douchebag who's ruining this league with his rules and Bob Kraft loving

SteelMember
10-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Troy FTW!!!:tt02:
Gooddell is a douchebag who's ruining this league with his rules and Bob Kraft loving

Isn't his "rule" bob kraft loving? :sissies:

fansince'76
10-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Better be careful with what you say, Troy - that idiot Goodell might tag you for $25-$30K too. :coffee:

memphissteelergirl
10-16-2008, 08:31 AM
What really annoys me about Goodell is the inconistency. He can fine Hines some coin about unncessary roughness (that was not even called at the game) and yet let a jackass like Shaun Rogers slide for an obvious late hit on Ben. Don't get it....:noidea:

Steel_Bus_24
10-16-2008, 09:14 AM
What really annoys me about Goodell is the inconistency. He can fine Hines some coin about unncessary roughness (that was not even called at the game) and yet let a jackass like Shaun Rogers slide for an obvious late hit on Ben. Don't get it....:noidea:

seriously....wtf is this double standard with the Steelers...Id force them to watch that play over and tell the national media that there isn't a double standard or inconsistency here

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2008, 10:03 AM
WOW!!! I never expected this from a soft spoken guy like Troy.

He is absolutely correct though!!!! You cant even argue with what he said, especially when he references the games of Jack Tatum, Dick Butkus and Ronnie Lott.

I hope Goodell gets the message, or the league ownership committee puts him in his place.......out of a job.

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Troy as Commish!

memphissteelergirl
10-16-2008, 10:15 AM
WOW!!! I never expected this from a soft spoken guy like Troy.

It's the quiet ones who always gotta watch out for...:wink02:

The_WARDen
10-16-2008, 10:22 AM
While I agree with everything that Troy says, as a player why does he even say anything. He has to know that he's just gonna get fined...

klick81
10-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Troy is an intelligent person, and knows what he's getting himself into.

He felt it was important to speak up, and for that i commend him. Good job Troy!

steelreserve
10-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Good for him for speaking his mind about something that any NFL fan couldn't help but be bothered by.

I've been saying the exact same thing as Troy for years, only I'm not a player and there's more swearing.

fansince'76
10-16-2008, 10:42 AM
While I agree with everything that Troy says, as a player why does he even say anything. He has to know that he's just gonna get fined...

As someone else has already pointed out, when a player like Troy who doesn't say much to begin with pipes up about it, it speaks volumes. Goodell's a joke and needs to be replaced - he's slowly wrecking the league.

revefsreleets
10-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Steelers should start a "Goodell Fine" pot (all on the DL of course), so when somebody does something retarded like Smith decking Hines in practice, he gets 5k thrown into the general fine fund. That way when the Steelers individual players invariably get fined for playing the game the way it's meant to be played, the money doesn't come out of their own pocket (Okay, maybe in Smith's case he'd be paying his own way anyway, but I'm sure you guys get my gist).

Edman
10-16-2008, 11:10 AM
The NFL is a pansy game with QB's on skirts, unless that QB happens to named Ben Roethlisberger. Troy doesn't say much, but you know it's a problem when he speaks. He's absolutely 100% correct.

The State of the league is a joke with it's asinine rules. and if I wasn't such a big Steelers fan, I'd be turned off completely. This league babies Quarterbacks and players. People are gonna get hurt. It's football. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play or watch. The NHL is so much tougher right now it's not even funny. They don't punish roughness, they punish diving and embellishment. The players are allowed to fight.

Whatever. People really underestimate the imcompetency of Roger Goodell. He's been nothing short of terrible as NFL commissioner. Any way, get ready to open up your wallet, Troy. Big Brother will fine you.

steelreserve
10-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Any way, get ready to open up your wallet, Troy. Big Brother will fine you.

A lot of people have said something to this effect, but can he really get fined over this? I thought it was OK to complain about the rules, just not the officials.

Dino 6 Rings
10-16-2008, 12:05 PM
All this is for me is Fuel to the Fire.

I say...Want to Fine Us, GO AHEAD. We are still going to hit you hard. We are still going to knock in your teeth. We are the Pittsburgh Steelers and we are coming for you, hard, every play..fines be Damned.

I'll take every one of our players getting fined 10,000 a game while laying a beat down on the other team on our way to the title over a losing season every single time.

KeiselPower99
10-16-2008, 12:24 PM
It is truethere seems to be a double standard cause we play physical. Shaun Rogers hiton Ben should have been a penalty and fine but nothing. Hines being Hines gets a fine. Its bs. I was always told football was a physical game and pansys stay home. Goodell is making this a no contact league.

SteelMember
10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Better be careful with what you say, Troy - that idiot Goodell might tag you for $25-$30K too. :coffee:

Ah yes. The new "criticizing the commissioner" rule.

Ironically, I believe this was just recently added to the rule book.

msafford
10-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Don't know if you folks saw this, but Mark Schlereth goes OFF on the NFL in agreement with Troy's statements. damn!

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3647080&categoryId=2378529

VTsteel
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I'll betcha Troy doesn't even get fined - Troy is very widely respected in the league and like other posters have said . . . what he's saying is absolutely true.

". . . Pansy game" - I Love It!

:sissies:

Steelman16
10-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Troy as Commish!

He'd sure be a heck of a lot better than that poor excuse of a Commish we have right now. Goodell's a joke. :coffee:

Kudo's to ya Troy! Couldn't agree with you more. About time the players had a say in what's going on. Goodell is ruining this league. He's incompetent and completely brainwashed by Bob Kraft.

As Teddy Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

STEELtownHAVOX
10-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Don't know if you folks saw this, but Mark Schlereth goes OFF on the NFL in agreement with Troy's statements. damn!

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3647080&categoryId=2378529

he had a great point, they are selling these "fined" hits on there own website. LOL, fine them and then sell it on our own website. double profit! birlliant.

tyler289
10-16-2008, 05:49 PM
You know it's bad when a guy like Troy feels the need to speak up.

Hines0wnz
10-16-2008, 06:02 PM
I like Troy speaking up about this silly period we are in with regards to player fines. I just hope he doesnt stay quiet if he gets fined.

MasterOfPuppets
10-16-2008, 06:07 PM
i wanna know why the PLAYERS UNION, isn't being the voice of the players on this subject.at least they can't be fined for saying what the players wanna say. isn't that the whole point of the union?

Hines0wnz
10-16-2008, 06:08 PM
i wanna know why the PLAYERS UNION, isn't being the voice of the players on this subject.at least they can't be fined for saying what the players wanna say. isn't that the whole point of the union?

Excellent point.

SteelersMongol
10-16-2008, 08:36 PM

Agreed. If they won't come forward now, then no one needs em.

nicesteel4life
10-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Who is the spokesman for the PLAYERS UNION, Upshaw passed away? I dont think they got a replacement yet, ever think thats why NFL Clown leader is doing this crap..? HMMMMMMMMMM

VTsteel
10-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Who is the spokesman for the PLAYERS UNION, Upshaw passed away? I dont think they got a replacement yet, ever think thats why NFL Clown leader is doing this crap..? HMMMMMMMMMM

" . . .Upshaw’s death raises a big question mark about negotiations although the union’s executive committee tried to answer it quickly by appointing the union’s most experienced official, Richard Berthelsen, as the interim executive director.

Berthelsen, the NFLPA’s chief counsel and Upshaw’s top aide, has been involved in labor negotiations for 37 years and is expected to steer the union through the negotiations and then make way for a younger man, probably an ex-player such as Trace Armstrong or Troy Vincent, two past presidents, or former Minnesota running back Robert Smith, who has expressed an interest in the job."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26326065/

lilyoder6
10-16-2008, 09:27 PM
i'm guessing since troy criticized goodell.. he will be getting a fine.. what a joke goodell is doing

Galax Steeler
10-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Give them hell troy you are the man.

Havik
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
I strongly agree with Troy, it's getting ridiculous. The "roughing the passer" call on James Harrison is an example. It's getting to the point where defensive players can't even touch the QB.

HometownGal
10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I strongly agree with Troy, it's getting ridiculous. The "roughing the passer" call on James Harrison is an example. It's getting to the point where defensive players can't even touch the QB.

It is really getting ridiculous, I agree. It has become much the same way in the NHL. Football and hockey are physical sports - let the guys play for God's sake!!! What's next - ballerina skirts instead of uniforms?