PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Best In NFL

vasteeler
10-16-2008, 11:25 AM
I will probably be accused of drinking the kool aid or being a homer or seeing things through black and gold glasses. While probably all three are true,looking around the NFL I honestly do not see a better team right now.Things may change after a few more weeks but right now I think we are the best team. Let me know if you agree or disagree.:tt02::tt02:

Buzz05
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Until they lose a game and some people will be huddled in their bomb shelters waiting on the 4 horsemen to arrive.

revefsreleets
10-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Until the OL plays consistently for a few games in a row, I'd have to say this is a bit premature. I'd definitely say we are the top defense. I'd say our ST's are now top 5. But offensively there is work to be done up front still...

snuggles26
10-16-2008, 12:32 PM
they are doin good so far

Dino 6 Rings
10-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Disagree, the records indicate that the Tennesee Titans are the "best in the NFL" at this point. Until they lose, and we have a superior record, we are not the Best in the NFL.

vasteeler
10-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Disagree, the records indicate that the Tennesee Titans are the "best in the NFL" at this point. Until they lose, and we have a superior record, we are not the Best in the NFL.

so you think head to head they would beat us?

Dino 6 Rings
10-16-2008, 01:18 PM
so you think head to head they would beat us?

We'll have to see won't we since we do in fact play them this season.

Right now. I think any team in the NFL can beat any team in the NFL

well maybe not the Lions.

TailgateMel
10-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Right now I feel we *COULD BE*.. but we still have some proving to do

:tt02::tt03::tt::tt03::tt02:

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
O don't worry after we lose our next game all of the band wagoners will flip out, Fire him, trade him, give up, it won't stop.

NJarhead
10-16-2008, 05:23 PM
We'll have to see won't we since we do in fact play them this season.

Right now. I think any team in the NFL can beat any team in the NFL

well maybe not the Lions.

:chuckle: Up until a week or so ago, the were assured that the worst team in the NFL resided in Missouri. Welp, that title is back in Michigan again where it belongs. :laughing:

Muppet13
10-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Steelers are better than any other team because they get the most support from their many fans! :tt:

Steelman16
10-16-2008, 05:33 PM
:chuckle: Up until a week or so ago, the were assured that the worst team in the NFL resided in Missouri. Welp, that title is back in Michigan again where it belongs. :laughing:

Might belong in Cinci before the season's over. :wink02:

We're not the best team in the NFL. We're close, but not the best. We still have some work to do, and things to prove. But I'm happy with our play thus far. :tt02:

revefsreleets
10-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Is there an echo in here?

Rotorhead
10-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Is there an echo in here?

Rotorhead
10-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Sorry, just couldnt help it haha

bigben255
10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
i think the steelers are one of the best teams in the nfl. big ben rothelisburger is awesome as is running back willie parker! go steelers!

tyler289
10-16-2008, 06:46 PM
They're certainly in the discussion. If the offensive line plays well over the next 2-3 weeks and Willie/Hampton/Keisel all get healthy, then we'll probably be #2 or #3 in the power rankings (or higher, depending on how the Titans do).

The most important is being the best come playoff time. Once/if we make the playoffs, then we need to turn in on to a whole new level. Though, the AFC (outside of Tennessee) is kinda weak, at least in terms of the elite teams. The Chargers and Colts are finally turning it on, but both look beatable. We'll see. We're one more injury (I'm looking at you, #7) from being a terrible team.

Hines0wnz
10-16-2008, 07:11 PM
I will probably be accused of drinking the kool aid or being a homer or seeing things through black and gold glasses. While probably all three are true,looking around the NFL I honestly do not see a better team right now.Things may change after a few more weeks but right now I think we are the best team. Let me know if you agree or disagree.:tt02::tt02:

I appreciate your optimism but Tennessee would probably shut out the Steelers right now. SD looks to be back on track, the Patsies are the Patsies and the Giants (in spite of their laying an egg on MNF) are still a good team. Top 5, no question, but number 1? No way. :coffee:

hizmi
10-16-2008, 08:06 PM
I appreciate your optimism but Tennessee would probably shut out the Steelers right now. SD looks to be back on track, the Patsies are the Patsies and the Giants (in spite of their laying an egg on MNF) are still a good team. Top 5, no question, but number 1? No way. :coffee:

I'd agree with this, though top 5 may even be a little optimistic.

I don't think people realize how poorly our offense has played, and how much better it needs to be if we want to REALLY contend for a super bowl.

My hope is that Tomlin and Arians realize we are no longer a power running team, and that our best hope is to spread the field, give Ben a chance to get rid of the ball quickly, and sneak in some simple quick handoffs that allow our RB's to go straight upfield.

Our schedule is about to get very difficult, and if we play like we did the first 5 games, we're going to play .500 ball (give or take a game depending on luck) the rest of the way.

revefsreleets
10-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I'd agree with this, though top 5 may even be a little optimistic.

I don't think people realize how poorly our offense has played, and how much better it needs to be if we want to REALLY contend for a super bowl.

My hope is that Tomlin and Arians realize we are no longer a power running team, and that our best hope is to spread the field, give Ben a chance to get rid of the ball quickly, and sneak in some simple quick handoffs that allow our RB's to go straight upfield.

Our schedule is about to get very difficult, and if we play like we did the first 5 games, we're going to play .500 ball (give or take a game depending on luck) the rest of the way.

Hmmm...so you know things they don't?

Interesting.

Why didn't the Steelers hire YOU?

Nonsense.

The OL gets a little better and this team can go as far as they like. We've heard all the bullshit from the misanthropes over and over and over again, and it's EASY to hate and be negative, but the fact is this team is just finding itself. They may STILL be a power running team. They may be a passing team. Hopefully they are a balanced team. But with the meat of the schedule in front of them, we're all about to find out...

MACH1
10-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I think they should be fine as long the line can block for more than half a second.

hizmi
10-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Hmmm...so you know things they don't?

Interesting.

Why didn't the Steelers hire YOU?

Nonsense.

The OL gets a little better and this team can go as far as they like. We've heard all the bullshit from the misanthropes over and over and over again, and it's EASY to hate and be negative, but the fact is this team is just finding itself. They may STILL be a power running team. They may be a passing team. Hopefully they are a balanced team. But with the meat of the schedule in front of them, we're all about to find out...

The Steelers rank 29th in the league in stuffed%, which measures how many times you gain zero or negative yardage on first down, and gain less than 25% of the needed yardage on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down (running plays only).

The steelers rank 31st in power success, which measures how many times you achieve a first down on 3rd or 4th and 2 (or less).

Despite abysmal pass blocking (we rank dead last in adjusted sacks allowed, and by a wide margin), our pass offense is ranked higher than our rush offense. That tells me our pass game is better able to compensate for poor blocking than our running game.

(note: stats are subject to small samples, since I don't know what the denominator is in each case. For some perspective, last year we ranked 21st and 14th in power success and stuffed%, respectively).

Maybe I was harsh on Tomlin and Arians, especially since the they've pushed all the right buttons since halftime of the Raven's game. I'm just concerned they're going to be stubborn when it comes to running the ball, since as an organization we pride ourselves on being physical and being able to run the ball. Unfortunately, we don't have the personnel for such tactics, and we are far better off (as the ravens and Jax games showed us) being aggressive through the air rather than conservative on the ground.

Pittsky
10-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Dont know if anyone else has read this...ESPN says were in top 3 or better...it kinda sums up everything

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=hotread5/bestteam

:tt02:

lilyoder6
10-16-2008, 10:31 PM
even tho we are ranked 29th or w/e in stuffed runs... we are still 4-1 and have a better record than most teams in the nfl.. and the record is what i care about

hizmi
10-16-2008, 10:47 PM
even tho we are ranked 29th or w/e in stuffed runs... we are still 4-1 and have a better record than most teams in the nfl.. and the record is what i care about

If you want to determine how well a team is going to play in the future, current record is not the best measure. DVOA, VOA, and point differential all have a higher correlation to wins than current record.

Yes, we are 4-1. And yes, in the end, record is all that matters. But this thread is about who the best team in the league is, and the numbers suggest we aren't quite that good.

Havik
10-16-2008, 11:08 PM
If I were to rank the Steelers, they would be the 5th or 6th best team in the NFL. The reason for that alone is the defense. The offense reminds me of a sports car with a nice body, but with an engine that doesn't work. The talent is there in the skill positions with some of the best players in the league but the offensive line is not cohesive. I think we can blame the o-line for the Steelers not being as successful as they should be. They are ranked dead last in pass protection. If Ben didn't have any sort of mobility he would be on IR right now.

hizmi
10-16-2008, 11:19 PM
If I were to rank the Steelers, they would be the 5th or 6th best team in the NFL. The reason for that alone is the defense. The offense reminds me of a sports car with a nice body, but with an engine that doesn't work. The talent is there in the skill positions with some of the best players in the league but the offensive line is not cohesive. I think we can blame the o-line for the Steelers not being as successful as they should be. They are ranked dead last in pass protection. If Ben didn't have any sort of mobility he would be on IR right now.

I like that analogy, and I think it's an accurate one.

The key is to accentuate the strengths (get the ball in the hands of our best play makers as quickly as possibly) and minimize the effect of our poor O-line, hence my aversion to a power running game.

Galax Steeler
10-17-2008, 04:32 AM
I don't think we are the best team but we rank right there with them I would say top 5 like someone else posted above.

memphissteelergirl
10-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Right now I feel we *COULD BE*.. but we still have some proving to do

:tt02::tt03::tt::tt03::tt02:

:iagree:

The_WARDen
10-17-2008, 09:29 AM
O don't worry after we lose our next game all of the band wagoners will flip out, Fire him, trade him, give up, it won't stop.

just curious, is this "flame baiting"?

X-Terminator
10-17-2008, 09:38 AM
The truth is not flame-baiting.

revefsreleets
10-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Again, this all begins and ends with the OL play. Since we are a different OL than last year, Hell, a different OL in week 7 then we were in week 2, I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach. If they continue to improve and play with consistency, the running game will get better...which will in turn make the passing game even more efficient.

SteelMember
10-17-2008, 11:04 AM
But with the meat of the schedule in front of them, we're all about to find out...:thumbsup:

We (steelers) are still a work in progress. We will see how we stack up over the next few weeks. I enjoy the positive attitudes, but really these rankings are pointless until the last game of the season...Hopefully for us, that will be in Feb.

ben7
10-18-2008, 05:37 PM
top 3 for sure.

hizmi
10-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Again, this all begins and ends with the OL play. Since we are a different OL than last year, Hell, a different OL in week 7 then we were in week 2, I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach. If they continue to improve and play with consistency, the running game will get better...which will in turn make the passing game even more efficient.

Nothing wrong with that, but at this point I'm more inclined to say "we are what we are." We've been wishing for a year and half now that the o-line will improve.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-18-2008, 09:48 PM
We arguably have some of the best players at their respective positions but as a team I wouldn't put us at the top right now. Our brutal schedule will define us within the next 5-6 weeks.

revefsreleets
10-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Beating a bad team on the road doesn't prove anything other than this team is better then last years. But the OL looked pretty good today. I hope they continue to play well as a unit. Hell, even Starks looked pretty good.

I'd also be wiling to wager that our run stuff stat or whatever got better after this game (although I'll admit that I don't put much stock in the minutiae stats...baseball maybe at 10X the amount of games, but not football).

Regardless, the defense showed me nothing today that dissuade me of the notion that they are the best unit in the NFL.

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Once we capture the AFC North Title this year, we will have as many AFC North/Central titles as all the other teams in our division combined.

Including the Oilers, Jaquars, Titans. I want to be able to say that. "We have as many as your team and all others combined."

The Steelers are Truly the best team in the AFC North. And according to the record. Tied for 2nd Best in the AFC and 2nd Best in the NFL.

I'll take that for now. We've still a long way to go and if we can knock out the Giants...we'll be considered better than the Best team in the NFC.

Oh yeah. Eli Manning fears our Linebackers. Soon he will know that 6 sacks a game, tends to hurt.

hizmi
10-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Beating a bad team on the road doesn't prove anything other than this team is better then last years. But the OL looked pretty good today. I hope they continue to play well as a unit. Hell, even Starks looked pretty good.

I'd also be wiling to wager that our run stuff stat or whatever got better after this game (although I'll admit that I don't put much stock in the minutiae stats...baseball maybe at 10X the amount of games, but not football).

Regardless, the defense showed me nothing today that dissuade me of the notion that they are the best unit in the NFL.

Yep, our running game had good success on 1st and 2nd down. Unfortunately, we still sucked in power situations (3rd and 2 or less) and that could be a lingering problem all year.

Our defense is clearly top notch, and woodley and timmons are turning into stars. The Tennessee D is the only unit I'd trade ours for.

Steelman16
10-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Yep, our running game had good success on 1st and 2nd down. Unfortunately, we still sucked in power situations (3rd and 2 or less) and that could be a lingering problem all year.

Our defense is clearly top notch, and woodley and timmons are turning into stars. The Tennessee D is the only unit I'd trade ours for.

I disagree. We have a much better secondary than the Titans. I wouldn't trade our D for anyone.

Stlrs4Life
10-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Until the OL plays consistently for a few games in a row, I'd have to say this is a bit premature. I'd definitely say we are the top defense. I'd say our ST's are now top 5. But offensively there is work to be done up front still...

Exactly, way too much football to be played. I'm not sold on our Offense yet, that's for sure.