PDA

View Full Version : Goodell's answer to Polamalu's remarks

klick81
10-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Goodell fires back at Polamalu's 'pansy game' remarks

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2008-10-16-nfl-polamalu_N.htm

By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
Troy Polamalu's criticism of NFL crackdowns on what it considers dangerous tactics has caught the attention of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.
A day after the Pittsburgh Steelers' hard-hitting safety said the NFL is becoming "like a pansy game" and questioned whether the league is truly concerned about player safety with some its rules and fines, Goodell fired back.

"I have a great deal of respect for him as a player, and obviously he has a right to his own views," Goodell said Thursday during an interview on WBAL-AM. "But to say that this is about money and not the health of our players, I think is extremely disappointing when we spend as much time as we do with active players, reviewing our rules, reviewing techniques and making sure we make the game is as safe as possible."

Polamalu sees $15,000 in fines for Steelers receiver Hines Ward from the past two games for unecessary roughness as a sign that rules-makers are ruining the sport. He said Hall of Famers known for toughness, such as Dick Butkus and Ronnie Lott, wouldn't survive in today's game because they would be excessively fined and suspended.

"Regarding the evolution of football, it's becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch," Polamalu said. "We've really lost the essence of what real American football is about. I think it's probably all about money. They're not really concerned about safety."

Goodell has issued one-game suspension to two players this season — New York Jets safety Erick Smith and Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Elbert Mack— for flagrant hits. He acknowledges the balancing act in emphasizing safety in a violent sport, where players are increasingly stronger and faster.

"We have a physical game, there's no question about that," Goodell said. "We think that's one of the attractions of the game … We just want to make it as safe as possible and balance the physical nature with rules that will hopefully prevent unnecessary hits and unnecessary injuries.

------------------------------------------
:jerkit:

fansince'76
10-17-2008, 03:04 PM
"We have a physical game, there's no question about that," Goodell said. "We think that's one of the attractions of the game … We just want to make it as safe as possible and balance the physical nature with rules that will hopefully prevent unnecessary hits and unnecessary injuries."

In that case, where the hell is Shaun Rogers' fine for hitting Ben WAY late, assclown? Especially after one of his teammates made remarks in the media during the week leading up to that game that they were going to hit him late, fines be damned? I dislike this douche more and more every time he opens his piehole. :mad:

Mosca
10-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Inconsistency, and fines well after the fact; how is a player supposed to know in the heat of battle if a hit is legal or not? The guy needs to know right there, during the game. And why one hit, and not another? Harrison's hit was on the correct side of legal, Rogers' was obviously not; yet one player gets a fine, and the other gets to dance and high five?

If the league was really interested in the safety of the players, they would require the anti-concussion helmets; but some players think they look dorky, and so here we are.

fansince'76
10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Inconsistency, and fines well after the fact; how is a player supposed to know in the heat of battle if a hit is legal or not? The guy needs to know right there, during the game. And why one hit, and not another?

I can almost guarantee you that Troy gets tagged for a $10-$15K fine next week if he even so much as sneezes in someone's direction on Sunday.

steelerstrade
10-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Well the only thing I take from this statement...

I guess Roger isn't going to fine Polamalu for his comments...

Steel_Bus_24
10-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Inconsistency, and fines well after the fact; how is a player supposed to know in the heat of battle if a hit is legal or not? The guy needs to know right there, during the game. And why one hit, and not another? Harrison's hit was on the correct side of legal, Rogers' was obviously not; yet one player gets a fine, and the other gets to dance and high five?

If the league was really interested in the safety of the players, they would require the anti-concussion helmets; but some players think they look dorky, and so here we are.

QFT......what a bunch of crock, someone from the Steelers should demand a fine on that assbag Rodgers :tt03:

Steelersfan4life0655
10-17-2008, 04:28 PM
f*ck Goodell!

OneForTheToe
10-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Great response on this issue by Mark Schlereth:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/video?id=3647080

:tt03::tt03: Go Mark.

Great point obout selling violence for $19.95.

Edman
10-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Goodell::blah:

Shoes
10-17-2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks Toe!

Goodell is having a Tom Brady withdrawals :moon:

HometownGal
10-17-2008, 04:46 PM

That's tellin' it like it is! :thumbsup: Not only is he spot on in his commentary, he's smokin HOT! :lust::lust:

As for Goodell - go back to slobbin' Kraft's and Belichick's knobs. You're much more qualified to do that than commish the NFL, you pathetic turd. :upyours:

NJarhead
10-17-2008, 04:47 PM
They were talking about this on Mike & Mike this morning. Mark Schlereth agreed with Troy:

Mark Schlereth, NFL - Mark says the NFL only cares about players because of money. How can they talk about the welfare of players, when they also sell a DVD of the biggest hits of the season?

This is only an excerpt of what he said. He went off on Goodell. :thumbsup: :drink:

Good on ya Stink!

NJarhead
10-17-2008, 04:51 PM
They were talking about this on Mike & Mike this morning. Mark Schlereth agreed with Troy:

This is only an excerpt of what he said. He went off on Goodell. :thumbsup: :drink:

Good on ya Stink!

Then again, maybe this has been brought up already :laughing:

Sorry if I stole your thunder OFTT. :drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2008, 04:59 PM
I dislike this douche more and more every time he opens his piehole. :mad:

Yeah, I find that Goodell speaks with a smug form of arrogance in cases like this.

He can't just come out and say, "I see Polamalu's point that players are being fined on plays that are not even penalties and its not consistent with the history of American Football". Instead he kind of says ......I agree to disagree. I'm the commish, end of story.

lilyoder6
10-17-2008, 05:30 PM
honeslty, with some of those "nasty flagrant" hits is when the def player is coming in for the hit and the dumb ass off player lowers his head for some reason.. very stupid..

Give It To Abercrombie
10-17-2008, 06:11 PM
In that case, where the hell is Shaun Rogers' fine for hitting Ben WAY late, assclown? Especially after one of his teammates made remarks in the media during the week leading up to that game that they were going to hit him late, fines be damned? I dislike this douche more and more every time he opens his piehole. :mad:

Except for throwing "mouth-breather" in there somewhere, I could not have said it better myself. :drink::drink:

Texasteel
10-17-2008, 06:46 PM
All Goodell wants is to change the NFL to the GFL, all stadiums to be named Goodell Stadium, and his name in large letters across the back of every player. The man is an irresponsible, fat headed, conceited, egotistical, power hungry, rule bending, patsy loving, pile of :poop:. Well thats not completely true, I don't think he's really a man.
I can only hope that the owners will realize what a dreadful mistake they have made and have him executed at the next owners meeting.
Just my opinion :grin:

steel striker
10-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm glad Troy spoke his mind about this and, I'm sure the commish will find a way to fine Troy. You know before we never heard much from any commish in the history of the NFL. Now you wear the wrong socks or actually throw a block you get a 5000.00 - 10000.00 fine. This is real sad.

Blonde Bomber
10-17-2008, 07:39 PM
I actually think that the defensive players that Hines got fined for hitting ought to be embarrassed, and offer to pay the fines.

steelpride12
10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Goodell is a greedy son of a gun, and no matter what he says, its all about the money.
American football is all about hard hitting smash mouth football and these stupid fines and suspensions truly kill the sport.

revefsreleets
10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Violence, REAL violence is shooting up titty bars at 3 AM on a coke binge ala Pacman Jones (still not suspended for life) and Chris Henry (reinstated and playing this Sunday against our Steelers).

12+88=6
10-17-2008, 10:41 PM
why did urlacher get fined 20k for remarks to or about a ref, but the "unecessary roughness" on ward was only 15k? what happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"?

if they really cared about the players then "unecessary roughness" fines should be higher. don't you think? but no it's worse to say something about the precious refs than to hit another guy. (judging by the amouts of the fines that is) and joey porter just got fined also for saying somehting about the refs.

SteelersMongol
10-17-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm glad Troy spoke his mind about this and, I'm sure the commish will find a way to fine Troy. You know before we never heard much from any commish in the history of the NFL. Now you wear the wrong socks or actually throw a block you get a 5000.00 - 10000.00 fine. This is real sad.

Only explanation on this is that I think that Jagoffs & Ratbirds have some connection up in the Commissioner's office. :wink02: U kow, just like the Cheatriots. Otheriwse this whole trying 2 make the game safe blah blah blah thing would've been effecting all the players.

12+88=6
10-17-2008, 11:38 PM
dre bly was just fined 20k for remarks about the refs. they must be raking in the dough. they should just give us fans free jerseys or something b/c they get enough cash from the players nowadays.

Galax Steeler
10-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Knock there heads off sunday troy and give them a reall reason to fine you.

BritishSteel
10-18-2008, 09:28 AM
It's one thing to turn football into rythmnic gymnastics, but unless the rules are applied equally to everyone, then no-one's gonna take Goodell seriously anyway - why peg out UR fines for one set of hits then blatently ignore others? It's the consistency of fine levies that pisses me off.

I've got my own theory as to why Goodell wants to pussify football - what's been the main argument against extending the regular season by two games? Impact on the players. So if you turn football into a dinner-dance with no tackling, that argument goes away, you get your two extra games in Mexico City or London or Toronto or wherever and the NFL gets that little bit richer.

DACEB
10-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Honestly, the fines after the games don't bother me as much as the inconsistent calls during the game. I'd much rather the refs hold the hankies during the game, and review the questionable calls after the fact. There's been way too many ticky-tack calls that have or nearly have affected the outcome of games. Everyone knows a malicous hit when they see it. Call the easy ones on the field, let the league review the rest and handle them accordingly. And when is the league going to step up and make the refs full-time employees and start holding them to a much higher standard.

klick81
10-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Honestly, the fines after the games don't bother me as much as the inconsistent calls during the game. I'd much rather the refs hold the hankies during the game, and review the questionable calls after the fact. There's been way too many ticky-tack calls that have or nearly have affected the outcome of games. Everyone knows a malicous hit when they see it. Call the easy ones on the field, let the league review the rest and handle them accordingly. And when is the league going to step up and make the refs full-time employees and start holding them to a much higher standard.

The problem with the fines based on Goodell's standards is that multiple fines can and will result in tougher penalties, including suspensions.

He's ruining the NFL.

Crushzilla
10-18-2008, 12:32 PM

Ya. That's the first thing I noticed, too.

Part of me is surprised, and part of me is not.

Roger addressed the comment and stated his disappointment, like Troy is a child.

A fine would have just reinforced Troy's sentiments, which have been shared by MANY.

I like Troy's fire, but do NOT become a standard bearer for this cause. You've made your comment. People agree. Roger has spewed garbage. Now walk away, big guy.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-18-2008, 09:51 PM

If he were to do that it would only prove Troy's statement to be partially true.

SteelMember
10-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Goodell is a tool...a hand tool...kraft's personal hand tool.

The only thing I see consistent is the 20K he's fining for criticizing the officials.

LVSteelersfan
10-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Fortunately the Steelers just keep winning so despite Goodell's obvious attempts at undermining the Steelers, IT IS NOT WORKING D-BAG. Go suck an egg. The Patsies and Colts are stinking up the NFL this year. Too bad the Patsies have such an easy schedule this year. They will probably still slide in with a wild card somehow. I just hope we get them in Pittsburgh in the playoffs and send their a $ $ packing home with their tails between their legs. Next thing you know Goodell will start trying to fine people like Mark Shlereth for saying what they think. He thinks he is GOD, but he actually has a red tail and horns hiding underneath that fancy suit and haircut.

steelwall
10-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Really, this isnt figure skating....come on. This is a volient game like it or not. Thats what makes it so damn fun to watch.

I agree if things keep heading in the direction they are heading now, the NFL's fan base will decrease.

Hapa
10-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Mark Schlereth is officially the best!